*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

317,634 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
Quincey P. Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't really need it for anything else but the Rangers. If there was a streaming option I'd obviously still have to pay, but I could at least drop that subscription.
KT 90
AG
PatAg said:

So it could still mean streaming on Amazon Prime right?

Not for this season. Anything is possible beyond this season.
gigem1223
PatAg said:

Tksymm7 said:

Seager will start opening day. I'm not worried about it.

Doesn't seem like it

According to who?

Every report I've read has said he should be back by end of spring training.
cmiller00
AG
PatAg said:

So a deal is struck with bally, but didn't Amazon buy them?

Ballys doesn't own the Rangers streaming rights so the Amazon deal doesn't involve them. One year deal for broadcast rights to continue and Rangers agree to not use their streaming rights through any other medium. Nothing is preventing Rangers from doing a future broadcast and streaming deal with Amazon/Ballys.
MrCoachEricTaylor
cmiller00 said:

PatAg said:

Ballys doesn't own the Rangers streaming rights so the Amazon deal doesn't involve them. One year deal for broadcast rights to continue and Rangers agree to not use their streaming rights through any other medium. Nothing is preventing Rangers from doing a future broadcast and streaming deal with Amazon/Ballys.

You would think with having a lower payment from DSG than what was originally agreed upon, the Rangers could make that money back up by letting Amazon stream the games.
KT 90
AG
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

cmiller00 said:

PatAg said:

You would think with having a lower payment from DSG than what was originally agreed upon, the Rangers could make that money back up by letting Amazon stream the games.

But they can't, at least not this year. Part of the "deal" specifically excludes them from doing that this. The deal has been agreed to, I believe the last step is for the courts to approval the deal between the Rangers and Bally/DSG.

Quote:

The Rangers, Twins and Guardians will retain their streaming rights but won't be able to work out a new deal this year. For fans in those markets hoping for changes to the direct-to-consumer model, it seems they may have to wait another year, assuming everything ends up being approved in court.

MrCoachEricTaylor
KT 90 said:

MrCoachEricTaylor said:

cmiller00 said:

PatAg said:

But they can't, at least not this year. Part of the "deal" specifically excludes them from doing that this. The deal has been agreed to, I believe the last step is for the courts to approval the deal between the Rangers and Bally/DSG.

Quote:

The Rangers, Twins and Guardians will retain their streaming rights but won't be able to work out a new deal this year. For fans in those markets hoping for changes to the direct-to-consumer model, it seems they may have to wait another year, assuming everything ends up being approved in court.

Yeah, I get it. Just hate it. Just tired of us consumers being screwed over by RSNs
cmiller00
AG
From the Athletic article:

Baseball executives still wonder how Diamond will make ends meet. Diamond this year might owe more than $800 million in rights fees payments to 12 MLB teams. Contrast that with Amazon's investment, which could grow to as much as $165 million early in the deal.

"It's just not that much money when put in context of the problem that they have," said the person briefed on the league's thinking.

Diamond's financial projections also face skepticism in baseball circles, the person continued, because Diamond has repeatedly "underestimated the decline on the revenue side, and wildly overestimated what they can do in direct-to-consumer."

With the Amazon plan, Diamond is projecting that its earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) will grow from $81 million in 2023 to $280 million in 2026.

With its streaming, direct-to-consumer product, or DTC for short, Diamond sees a $77 million loss in 2023 turning into a $369 million gain in 2026. (And before expenses, Diamond thinks DTC revenue would go from $49 million last year to $658 million in 2026 a huge jump.)

DallasAg 94
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

cmiller00 said:

PatAg said:

I think the payment from DSG would have been even lower, without the agreement that neither was Stream in 2024. I think the concern for DSG is, if the Rangers/MLB offers Streaming, then the viewership (aka money) for DSG would diminish.

In 2023, when the DSG agreement with SDP, I believe... MLB agreed to fill the gap to make SDP (and a couple others) whole from a budget perspective.

If I read correctly, the agreement will be brought forth before the Court on Feb 9th to be approved. I'm hoping MLB will announce after the agreement they'll make the Cle and Tex whole and likely don't want to inject that beforehand.

If MLB agrees to make them whole publicly, then DSG could lowball further because DSG would know that it shouldn't matter to the team if the money is from DSG or MLB. MLB does care, though.
J.P. 03
AG
cmiller00 said:

With its streaming, direct-to-consumer product, or DTC for short, Diamond sees a $77 million loss in 2023 turning into a $369 million gain in 2026. (And before expenses, Diamond thinks DTC revenue would go from $49 million last year to $658 million in 2026 a huge jump.)

Is Diamond represented by Scott Boras?!? Might be the only way to explain those optimistic projections.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Yeah the streaming aspect being a crucial part of the deal makes total sense
cmiller00
AG
Hey now some consultant got paid a lot of money to make up those numbers.
GigEmAgsCaleb
Doing a private signing with Eric Nadel in a couple weeks! I have WS baseballs available that I can get signed but comment below if you have something else in mind.
$160 shipped including the price of my baseball, will have 2 different inscriptions available
"Rangers fans you're not dreaming"
"May the ghosts of 2011 be forever erased"
If you would like some other inscription signed lmk and I can see what I can do
Signing takes place on February 17th
CowtownAg06
AG
What does World Series Baseball mean?
GigEmAgsCaleb
An official Rawlings World Series baseball (liked used in the games)
DallasAg 94
Wonder if Cueto could be had on a minor league deal?

I think we need a couple guys like that.
birdman
GigEmAgsCaleb said:

Doing a private signing with Eric Nadel in a couple weeks! I have WS baseballs available that I can get signed but comment below if you have something else in mind.
$160 shipped including the price of my baseball, will have 2 different inscriptions available
"Rangers fans you're not dreaming"
"May the ghosts of 2011 be forever erased"
If you would like some other inscription signed lmk and I can see what I can do
Signing takes place on February 17th
I would have him sign it "history"
KT 90
AG
had a popup message on phone earlier... Bobby Witt Jr gets an extension for $288M over 11 years!

So we be looking to do the same with one (or more) of: Jung or Carter? Langford needs to get to the mlb and prove himself before considering him imo.

rbtexan
S
KT 90 said:

had a popup message on phone earlier... Bobby Witt Jr gets an extension for $288M over 11 years!

So we be looking to do the same with one (or more) of: Jung or Carter? Langford needs to get to the mlb and prove himself before considering him imo.

Premature on both Jung and Carter, waaaay too early to think about doing that for Langford.

Witt Jr. has played two full seasons in MLB and has put up impressive numbers. Jung has basically played one, and has injury history that Witt doesn't. Some of it is fluke stuff, but he needs to put together at least one relatively injury-free season for that to be viable. Carter is still a rookie technically, so too early on him as well, and Langford hasn't taken a single AB in the majors, that's not the kind of guy you give an extension to.

Players are under team control for 6 years, there's no rush to make stuff like this happen until year 3 or 4. The Royals have to be much more proactive because of the small market they're in.
Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

I remember when Witt and the royals pooped on the Astros and made them their ***** last year. Hopefully that tradition continues this season.
gigem1223
Keith Law's top 100 is out. Anyone have where rangers prospects landed for us poors?
cmiller00
AG
Langford at 6
Carter at 9
Walcott at 40
shack009
AG
It's amazing that the Langford hype has put him above a guy who hit third or fourth in a World Series winning lineup.
gigem1223
shack009 said:

It's amazing that the Langford hype has put him above a guy who hit third or fourth in a World Series winning lineup.

More amazing that he has both out of his top 5. Personally, I think Langford is a better prospect than Carter. Carter had an amazing postseason but still struggles to hit lefties. Until he proves that it's going to hard to play him everyday. I think Langford has the potential to be generational.
gigem1223
Baseball America farm system rankings:

3. Rangers

29. Astros
Grapesoda2525
gigem1223 said:

Baseball America farm system rankings:

3. Rangers

29. Astros
But but but according to Farmer we're always going to be terrible and farm system will never be good and we can't develop anyone!
gigem1223
If we can hit on a just a few of Winn, Leiter, Rocker, Porter, White. Franchise would be set for the next 5-7 years.
Grapesoda2525
gigem1223 said:

If we can hit on a just a few of Winn, Leiter, Rocker, Porter, White. Franchise would be set for the next 5-7 years.
Porter already looks good. Hard to imagine whiffing on all the rest. Should at least be 2 good ones out of that group.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Astros lock up Altuve on a 5 yr / $125M Extension through his Age 39 season
Quincey P. Morris
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

Astros lock up Altuve on a 5 yr / $125M Extension through his Age 39 season

They had to get that deal done, but it may be an ugly deal by the end of it.
ChoppinDs40
AG
maybe but honestly, Altuve could probably DH until he was 39... dude just knows how to hit... especially in that little league park and LF wall.
jkag89
The deal is front loaded, Final two seasons will be relatively cheap,

Quincey P. Morris
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

maybe but honestly, Altuve could probably DH until he was 39... dude just knows how to hit... especially in that little league park and LF wall.

That's true.
Tksymm7
AG
It's a good deal.
fc2112
ChoppinDs40 said:

Good thing we usually have a real man in the line up whenever we play them there.

First Page Last Page
Page 64 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.