*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

317,891 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
CowtownAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MLB top OF prospect list out:

Carter 2 abs Langford 3. Both ahead of Crews.
DallasAg 94
Sorry to hear.

Thanks for sharing with us last season and today. I lost my father a few years ago and it sucks.

I hope he went peacefully. You are in for a year of 1sts... "without him" and I'm guessing you'll find emotional responses will happen when you least expect it by things you never realized. A song. A smell. A phrase. Little pieces of remembrance that are both comforting and sad.
DallasAg 94
Quote:

To give you a sneak peek beyond the Top 10, there will be 26 total outfielders on the Top 100 heading into 2024.
WOW... and we have #2 and #3.

Quote:

Highest floor: Carter
Carter's career could end tomorrow, and his Major League resume would still read World Series winner.

I think Langford will start the season the MLB level. The opportunity to get RoY and a pick are just too great.

We'll need a Carter-Langford moniker/reference.

The Langford hype is off the charts.
shack009
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Quote:

To give you a sneak peek beyond the Top 10, there will be 26 total outfielders on the Top 100 heading into 2024.

Quote:

Carter's career could end tomorrow, and his Major League resume would still read World Series winner.

I think Langford will start the season the MLB level. The opportunity to get RoY and a pick are just too great.

Jung getting hurt and the Rangers losing out on a pick because of it really sucked. If baseball gods were truly right and just, Langford would win ROY this year.
Grapesoda2525
shack009 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Jung getting hurt and the Rangers losing out on a pick because of it really sucked. If baseball gods were truly right and just, Langford would win ROY this year.
We've had such ****ty luck in that department. Remember before Jung got hurt and we lost that, Adolis Garcia missed out and they gave it to Arozarena instead.
CowtownAg06
AG
shack009 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Henderson probably would have won anyway, but it would have been a good debate. Carter is also still ROY eligible, so 2 bites at the apple this year. Jackson Holliday probably starts the year in the minors as they sort out Westburg, Mateo, Urias, and Henderson.
DallasAg 94
Seems like the Yankees are signing just about every former MLB player hoping to play in 2024, to a minor league contract.

Seems like they've added 25-30 players. It's like signing a lottery ticket, I suppose.
DallasAg 94
Apparently the Rangers are looking at adding David Robertson for some RP. Playoff success. Aging.

It's an arm. Not sure how I feel about him specifically, but maybe cheap 1yr area of need.
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Apparently the Rangers are looking at adding David Robertson for some RP. Playoff success. Aging.

It's an arm. Not sure how I feel about him specifically, but maybe cheap 1yr area of need.
I assume a non-roster invite deal? Make the team out of Spring Training, or you are a free agent again? If so, little risk in that, just kicking the can to see what he has left.
CowtownAg06
AG
Dude had 18 svs and 3.00 Era last year over 60 ip. I'd bet big league deal.

Jared Walsh on NRI is interesting Lowe insurance.
AgBQ-00
AG
I am hoping Monty is in the works right now. Really want him back
Ag Since 83
AG

We need video of story time with Max Scherzer
cmiller00
AG
Mad Max kids story time!
DallasAg 94
Signed Robertson - 1yr/$11-12M

2023 (38-RHP): 62G, 3.03 ERA, 65.1 IP, 78 SO, 25 BB, 1.194 WHIP, 18 Saves

Pitched well early in the season with NYM, fell apart after trade to Miami.

175 Career Saves.
gigem1223
Good depth piece in the BP. Now go get Monty
gigem1223
JP Martinez traded to the Braves for a pitching prospect, Tyler Owens. Also makes room for Robertson.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/01/rangers-trade-jp-martinez-braves.html
AustinCountyAg
What are the chances yall are hearing that the Rangers bring back Montgomery?
DallasAg 94
Nothing recent that I've heard.

Yankees, et al, have indicated they believe he will end up with the Rangers. He is currently living in Boston with his wife who is a Med student doing her Internship (Dermatology?).

Rangers are still waiting to settle the Ballys TV deal and have only made short term deals:
Robertson - 1yr. RP
Knizner - 1 yr. Catcher
Mahle - 2yr deal, but will be on 60IL recovering from TJ until June/July. SP.
Yates - 1yr. RP

I think there is a high likelihood we sign him if we can get a deal worked out with Ballys on 2024.
DallasAg 94
Atlanta always seems to be a good landing spot and trade partner.

I wish JPM well... I think he is one of the 5 fastest guys in MLB. Could end up being a 20/30 guy. May just need another year.

He was brought up in 2023 and I think just didn't impress enough, which led to Carter. Now, with Carter and Langford both expected on the Active.... we're locked up for the foreseeable future.

Needing a spot on the 40, just makes sense.

IF we sign Monty, another decision will have to be made. Unless the Rangers have made arrangements to sign him after the 60IL is available. We have several: Scherzer, Mahle, deGrom who will land on the 60IL It would eliminate the necessity of moving another player (like JPM).
DallasAg 94
I think we're about done. I'll recap the RP and where that stands. I think we've added some pieces and have some internal options that the RP will be no worse than it was last year. Good chance it is better.

1st... CBT and where we are.

We still have Adolis Garicia's Arb case to finalize the amount. According to COTS, we are currently OVER by $4,356,667, which includes Robertson and a projected amount for Adolis.

Our penalty/tax is based on insert I have below. I believe we finished below the CBT last year, so this would be a 1st year penalty.

20% if we stay below an overage of $20M. An additional 12.5% for anything over $20M overage. That's about $15M-Adolis.

Getting deeper in the weeds... if we sign Monty to $27M (my expectation), then we'll have $12+ subject to overage. More so than all that, is that we'll lose QO comp.

This is forgotten, but comes into place for Comp on QO dropping a 2nd to 4th. Could that impact the Rangers? Probably: Scherzer, Heaney, and Leclerc are FAs. Eovaldi has a vesting Option. Not sure all 3 are eligible (meaning they haven't had it placed on them in the past) nor worthy. Scherzer is likely looking to go year-by-year with his health. Heaney is like right at that threshold. Leclerc could have an All-Star season putting him in the hunt. Eovaldi... would be nice to extend. Maybe that is an option.

Quote:

A club that exceeds the Competitive Balance Tax threshold is subject to an increasing tax rate depending on how many consecutive years it has done so.

First year: 20 percent tax on all overages
Second consecutive year: 30 percent
Third consecutive year or more: 50 percent

If a club dips below the luxury tax threshold for a season, the penalty level is reset. So, a club that exceeds the threshold for two straight seasons but then drops below that level would be back at 20 percent the next time it exceeds the threshold.

There's also a surcharge threshold for clubs that exceed the base threshold by $20 million or more.
$20 million to $40 million: 12 percent surcharge
$40 million to $60 million: 42.5 percent surcharge for first year; 45 percent for each consecutive year after that
$60 million or more: 60 percent surcharge

gigem1223
Sounds like a Janko deal is imminent. With Wyatt/ Carter up, Janko back and Duran as well, Wonder if CY is considering a Leody trade?
DallasAg 94
Rangers must have another trade ready.

I don't think JPM was a spur-of-the-moment decision. Rangers probably have 4-5 hot seat triggers.

Janko would almost assure the Rangers won't have Langford available (not on 40) or believe Taveras is about to be traded.

LHB: Janko + Carter
RHB: Adolis + Langford
Both: Taveras

OR... they're signing him as a DH+OF Util guy.

I don't think Langford (LF) / Carter (CF) / Adolis (RF) would give us flexibility among OF positions that Janko could provide.
Tksymm7
AG
I don't think Langford is going to make the opening day roster. Let him get a few hundred more at bats at AAA then move him on up.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Helps put them in a position to be patient with Langford vs rushing him and also having him get only 4th OF spot duty. Then when he's ready, Leody could be on the block to get midseason pitching. No need to rush to that; I only want to see Langford up when they are in position to play him most days
DallasAg 94

Essentially replacing Smith, Chapman, and Ragans with Yates and Robertson. Hope we get the best out of the guys returning.

Returning:
Quote:

Back (7?):
Leclerc (29-R): 57G, 2.68, 57.0, 67 SO, 4/9 in Saves (1)
B Burke (26-L)): 53G, 4.37, 59.2, 52 SO, 0/2 in Saves (2) <- He has been bumpy. 52G/1.97 in '22
J Sborz (29-R): 44G, 5.50, 52.1, 66 SO, 0/4 in Saves (3) <- Playoff confidence andhealthy
Bradford (25-L): 12G, 2.82 (in BP) (4) <- Long
Our Adds:
Quote:

Yates (36-R-Atl): 61G, 3.28, 60.1 IP, 80 SO (5) <- Easy replacement for Chapman+Stratton
Robertson (38-R-Mia): 62G, 3.03, 65.1 IP, 78 SO (6)

Added to 40 and available:
Quote:

Antoine Kelly (23-L-AA/AAA): 49G, 2.04 ERA, 57.1 IP, 79 SO <- Promising. Will be bumpy.
Jake Latz (27-L-AAA): 46G, 4.10 ERA, 63.2 IP, 87 SO <- Got 6.1IP/0.00ERA at MLB <-nut-cutting time
Marc Church (22-R-AAA): 30G, 3.89, 44.0 IP, 48 SO <- Interested in what he has.

Another roster guy added:
Carson Coleman (25-R): DNP in '23

Gone:
Quote:

W Smith : 60G, 4.40, 57.1 IP, 55 SO, 22/27 in Saves
Chapman: 30G, 3.72, 29.0 IP, 50 SO, 4/7
CStratton: 22G, 3.41, 29.0 IP, 22 SO, 0/1
C Ragans: 17G, 5.92, 24.1 IP, 24 SO, 0/0
IKennedy: 16G, 7.16, 16.1 IP, 21 SO, 0/1
John King: 15G, 5.79
J Barlow : 13G, 4.66
Glen Otto: 6G, 10.13
MarPerez: 15G, 2.70 (in BP)

Mr Gigem
AG

DallasAg 94
They gunna pack that thing up and ship it back, or are you catch-and-release, today?

Looks like it was fun Definitely on my "list" of things...
Mr Gigem
AG

MountainAg99
AG
Yes Sir…slay the dragon! Nice marlin!
Mr Gigem
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

They gunna pack that thing up and ship it back, or are you catch-and-release, today?

Looks like it was fun Definitely on my "list" of things...

We are getting everything processed at the resort we are staying at
MountainAg99
AG
In baseball news, Jankowski is back on a 1 year deal and the Robertson deal was nicely structured.

From MLBTR on Robertson, The righty will be guaranteed $11.5MM, which takes the form of a $5MM salary in 2024, a $1.5MM buyout on a $7MM mutual option for 2025 and then annual $1MM deferred payments from 2027-2031.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I'm glad we're signing Jankowski. I've been saying all off season that I wanted him back.
Double Talkin' Jive...
DallasAg 94
He is on 105.3 from time to time and is a fun listen. The guy knows his role. Knows who he is and comfortable with it.
fc2112
Daniel Duarte DFA'd to make space on the 40 for Jankowski
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I'm glad we're signing Jankowski. I've been saying all off season that I wanted him back.

Yep. Wasn't a make or break or anything, but I'm glad he's back.
First Page Last Page
Page 58 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.