*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

318,113 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
fc2112
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

I feel like it could be a hot take, but at the same time I feel like I'm not really going out on a limb.. but Adolis totally over achieved during the post season..

He's one of my favorite current players and should 1000% be a Ranger's legend forever, but he is a career .250-.260 hitter albeit with off the chart power and run production. But he's so prone the the Ks and that really does harm his value as a player, imo.

All this.

We are suffering from recency bias with Garcia. I remember four strike out games in July where he was swinging at balls over his head tomahawk style.

He slashed 245/.328/.508 over the course of 2023. Really good, top 15 power, a lot of Ks, not a lot of walks.

The Rangers are not going to pop the cap for a guy like this that they have control over for three more seasons. And as has been noted above, his replacement may be showing up in Surprise In a couple of months.
DallasAg 94
94chem said:

DallasAg 94 said:

I had a longer response on the Adolis contract portion and compared it to Lowe.

We don't win the WS without Adolis who led the team in HRs and RBIs. He was arguably the #2 performer behind Seager. Lowe was a no show.

Arb has more to do with the player's body of work than just the playoffs, but $2M and less than Lowe could be seen as disrespectful... even if it is "fair" in Arb.

Having said that... my question turned to whether the $5M offer was as much to do with the Rangers view him in the org?! With Langston coming, the Rangers may be signalling that Adolis is a trade candidate and not a part of the long-term strategy.

OTOH, it could signal the difference on how much Adolis over-achieved vs Lowe in terms of body of work and projected expectations. Lowe had a down year at the plate.

Either way, both would be tradeable, IMO.
The Rangers won the world series because of their defense. That glove in RF was a HUGE part of it.
Certainly a glove like that in RF would have seen our 2nd WS victory, amirite. Too soon. It will always be too soon.
DallasAg 94
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

I feel like it could be a hot take, but at the same time I feel like I'm not really going out on a limb.. but Adolis totally over achieved during the post season..

He's one of my favorite current players and should 1000% be a Ranger's legend forever, but he is a career .250-.260 hitter albeit with off the chart power and run production. But he's so prone the the Ks and that really does harm his value as a player, imo.
I'm not going to say he was juicing... but the guy looked like his cycle was prime for the playoffs.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Lol I mean, I think it's the same thing that happens with HOU's home and away splits.

I think when they're away they're in the right head space and band together because everyone in the greater Harris County area and surrounding counties hate they're guts and all that. But when they're home they kind of take their foot off the gas so to speak.

I think Adolis was amped up for the playoffs. But it's hard to be THAT up for 162 games.
shack009
AG
fc2112 said:

MrCoachEricTaylor said:

All this.

We are suffering from recency bias with Garcia. I remember four strike out games in July where he was swinging at balls over his head tomahawk style.

He slashed 245/.328/.508 over the course of 2023. Really good, top 15 power, a lot of Ks, not a lot of walks.

The Rangers are not going to pop the cap for a guy like this that they have control over for three more seasons. And as has been noted above, his replacement may be showing up in Surprise In a couple of months.

He also plays a really good RF and has probably the best OF arm in the game. The Rangers need to be smart, but he could easily be earning top 10-15 OF money, maybe slightly adjusted downward for his age.
DallasAg 94
Jordan Hicks to SFG. 4yr/$44M.

He would have been nice to add, and with Maddux having been with him in STL, I would assume that if there was anything "there" to get, we'd have had conversation.

My guess is based on the price tag and benefit vs our current budget, 4yrs is just not happening. Especially for a RP.

I'm still intrigued with some of the young guys we have coming along... intrigued until I'm not.

2022 RP seemed promising (2022 ==> 2003):
Burke (25): 52G, 1.97 ==> 53, 4.37
Barlow (26): 35G, 3.86 ==> 13G, 4.66
Hernandez (25): 29G, 2.97 ==> 33G, 5.40

And then 2023 happened to them. Which is why long-term RP contracts are so dangerous.
DallasAg 94
shack009 said:

fc2112 said:

MrCoachEricTaylor said:

All this.

He also plays a really good RF and has probably the best OF arm in the game. The Rangers need to be smart, but he could easily be earning top 10-15 OF money, maybe slightly adjusted downward for his age.
He could also net us a couple T10 prospects. And at $7M... maybe even more.
94chem
DallasAg 94 said:

94chem said:

DallasAg 94 said:

We don't win the WS without Adolis who led the team in HRs and RBIs. He was arguably the #2 performer behind Seager. Lowe was a no show.

Arb has more to do with the player's body of work than just the playoffs, but $2M and less than Lowe could be seen as disrespectful... even if it is "fair" in Arb.

Having said that... my question turned to whether the $5M offer was as much to do with the Rangers view him in the org?! With Langston coming, the Rangers may be signalling that Adolis is a trade candidate and not a part of the long-term strategy.

OTOH, it could signal the difference on how much Adolis over-achieved vs Lowe in terms of body of work and projected expectations. Lowe had a down year at the plate.

The Rangers won the world series because of their defense. That glove in RF was a HUGE part of it.
Certainly a glove like that in RF would have seen our 2nd WS victory, amirite. Too soon. It will always be too soon.

And to be fair, judging Nellie on one play isn't fair. He made a spectacular double play in the extra inning game against DET that kept the game tied. Without that play, maybe there is no world series.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
As much as Evan Carter did, the thing I loved most about him was that he was a gold glove center fielder in the minors. He plugged right into a team that was connected defensively. If you didn't notice that about this team, it must have become obvious when you saw Michael Brantley looking like a pig on roller skates in LF. The Rangers have a luxury right now of not having to play ANYBODY who isn't a plus defender. I wouldn't compromise the defensive chemistry for anything. It's the unheralded heart and soul of the team. Again, credit Chris Young for building a team strong up middle.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
AgBQ-00
AG
Hoping we have a Montgomery signing soon
fc2112
94chem said:

The Rangers have a luxury right now of not having to play ANYBODY who isn't a plus defender.
Seriously, is this not the backbone of what won a WS championship? Every single position on the field is a + defender, most ++.

Who is the weakest defensive position? 1B? He won a freakin gold glove at this position. Just unreal how good this team is defensively.
MrCoachEricTaylor
I feel like you can have an argument of Seager being the "worst defender"
Water Boy
AG
I think we had the least amount of errors last season. I remember the Astros always making insane plays on defense when we used to play. Now we have that great defense.
KT 90
AG
Any musicians on here? If so you've got work to do to come up with a Ranger version... lol

94chem
94chem said:

DallasAg 94 said:

94chem said:

DallasAg 94 said:

And to be fair, judging Nellie on one play isn't fair. He made a spectacular double play in the extra inning game against DET that kept the game tied. Without that play, maybe there is no world series.

It was a tie game in the 8th inning of game 4. Nellie gunned down Miggy by 15 feet on a sac fly attempt. Rangers won it in the 11th, capped by a Nellie 3R HR. Cruz was also a game wrecker in the 11th inning of game 2 with a walk-off GS. However, earlier in the game he had a HR off Scherzer and an HBP, after already homering in game 1. He was every bit the force in that 2011 ALCS that Adolis was this post-season. But we know what happened...but 7 RBI in the 11th innings of back to back games?

Fun watching those highlights. That lineup with Hamilton, Beltre, Kinsler, Young, Napoli, Cruz. Not shabby when your "scrubs" are Murphy, Moreland, and Andrus.

If we want to bash Nellie, I think it's time to target the 50 game PED suspension, which he chose to serve during the regular season.

Edit. I had my year wrong on the suspension. It was 2013, when he served the last 50 games, rather than appealing, so as not to hurt his value in free agency. However, the Rangers went 29-21 in those games, so even his absence can't be blamed for "only" winning 91 games and being forced into the play-in game (the pre-wild card round?).
94chem,
DallasAg 94
With the remaining FAs... and just about 4 weeks until ST... what are your thoughts...

MLBTR has us and the Yankees tied to RP- Neris. Doubtful, IMO. He turned down an $8.5M option with Houston. We don't have that to spend and I can't see looking him up for more than 1yr/$8.5M.

Here are the Top remaining FAs:

Quote:

2. Cody Bellinger. Twelve years, $264MM - OF/1B/DH
4. Blake Snell. Seven years, $200MM - SP
6. Jordan Montgomery. Six years, $150MM - SP
7. Matt Chapman. Six years, $150MM - 3B
8. Josh Hader. Six years, $110MM - Cl
10. Shota Imanaga. Five years, $85MM - P
16. Jorge Soler. Three years, $45MM - DH
20. J.D. Martinez. Two years, $40MM - DH
26. Rhys Hoskins. Two years, $36MM - DH

Separating the P

Quote:

4. Blake Snell. Seven years, $200MM - SP (Agent: Boras)
6. Jordan Montgomery. Six years, $150MM - SP (Agent: Boras)

8. Josh Hader. Six years, $110MM - Cl (Agent: CAA Sports)
10. Shota Imanaga. Five years, $85MM - P
Yankees ended up signing Stroman because Snell was asking too much and Monty was expected to go with the Rangers.

Who blinks first? Teams or Players?

Bats:
Quote:

2. Cody Bellinger. Twelve years, $264MM - OF/1B/DH (Agent: Boras)
7. Matt Chapman. Six years, $150MM - 3B (Agent: Boras)
16. Jorge Soler. Three years, $45MM - DH (Agent: MVP Sports)
20. J.D. Martinez. Two years, $40MM - DH (Agent: Boras)
26. Rhys Hoskins. Two years, $36MM - DH (Agent: Boras)

I don't see Bellinger getting what he is asking. Boras usually wins, but I have to believe this could be the year he sees this all blow up in his face. The Dodgers and Braves, IMO, put too high a marker on the 2024 season. On paper they are just so much better than anyone else in the NL. The NYM and SDP are in a long hangover that will stay around.

Also, there are a bunch of teams held strapped with Media revenue uncertainty.
Grapesoda2525
THANK GOD FOR THE RANGERS WORLD SERIES THIS YEAR.

BIGGEST SPORTS CHOKE IN HISTORY PLAYING OUT JUST DOWN THE STREET FROM GLOBE LIFE FIELD.
AgBQ-00
AG
No. The oilers still hold that title.
NukeAg10
AG
2011 world series was much worse.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

BIGGEST SPORTS CHOKE IN HISTORY PLAYING OUT JUST DOWN THE STREET FROM GLOBE LIFE FIELD.
Nah... that will ALWAYS belong to Houston. Up 35-3 in the 2nd half, against Buffalo in 1993, Buffalo came back and beat them.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Nah... that will ALWAYS belong to Houston. Up 35-3 in the 2nd half, against Buffalo in 1993, Buffalo came back and beat them.
Was Houston highly rated? Dallas had won 15 home games in a row and just looked dominant at home. A meteor hitting earth seemed more likely than the cowboys no showing today under the circumstances.
Mr Gigem
AG
lol that Cowboys thread getting chippy
KT 90
AG
I think you are correct on Neris, Rangers aren't signing him for that much. IMO, once the Bally deal is final next week (hopefully), we sign Montgomery and are pretty much done with any high dollar signings. Maybe add Jankowski for the league minimum, and/or similar type signings to fill out any remaining spots. All signs point to Montgomery signing with the Rangers now that the Yankees moved on to other target's.

KT 90
AG
Mr Gigem said:

I've never visited the NFL board for the Cowboy thread, and damn sure ain't starting today !
KT 90
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Was Houston highly rated? Dallas had won 15 home games in a row and just looked dominant at home. A meteor hitting earth seemed more likely than the cowboys no showing today under the circumstances.
Houston was all the **** back then, Warren Moon and the run-n-shoot were unstoppable for the most part. Until they weren't....
fc2112
KT 90 said:

Mr Gigem said:

I've never visited the NFL board for the Cowboy thread, and damn sure ain't starting today !

There are a bunch of guys who do nothing but complain about the officiating with every single post for three hours straight.

Then a bunch of Houston YT has shown up cause we know it's the Cowboys they hate more than even Adolis Garcia.
jkag89
MrCoachEricTaylor
jkag89 said:

Very nice intel

But that is my biggest concern with MLB taking over the rights, nobody knows what the money will look like for the teams.
hawk1689
AG
fc2112 said:

KT 90 said:

Mr Gigem said:

There are a bunch of guys who do nothing but complain about the officiating with every single post for three hours straight.

Then a bunch of Houston YT has shown up cause we know it's the Cowboys they hate more than even Adolis Garcia.

There's just too much stupid when it comes to Cowboys talk after a loss.
rbtexan
S

Mr Gigem
AG
Sheesh
Water Boy
AG
Why are we talking about the one and done cowboys on the World Series champs thread?
DallasAg 94
We should be discussing the International Signings.

Top Ranked International players by MLB

Rangers signings:

2. Paulino Santana, OF, DR (17, 6'2"/180, RHB)
29. Curley Martha, SS, Curacao (17, 6'1"/165, RHB)
46. Yolfran Castillo, SS, Vz (16, 6'3"/175, RHB)
Nathaniel Palacios, SS, Venezuela
Daniel Flames, SS, Venezuela
Jose Marcano, C, Venezuela
Angel Arredondo, SS, Mexico
Manni Ramirez, OF, Dominican Republic
Javier Sanchez, C, Venezuela
Jonathan Rangel, OF, Venezuela
Claudiel Lantigua, SS, Dominican Republic
Jesus Lopez, RHP, Venezuela

Quote:

Santana fits the mold of a five-tool player. If the 16-year-old from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, played against premier American high-school talents, it's believed that he would line up well with the elite of the class. He has drawn comparisons to Julio Rodrguez both on and off the field.
Quote:

Santana's plus speed on the basepaths and in the field gives him the chance to play center field and stick there as he climbs through the system. Praised for his physical attributes and approach in a similar vein to last year's No. 1 international prospect Ethan Salas, who climbed to Double-A in his first pro season, Santana could be a similarly fast riser through the ranks.

Quote:

Known as a pure hitter with plus bat speed and a solid, strong build, the bat is unquestionably Martha's leading tool. His advanced instincts have earned praise from evaluators, and his all-around athleticism and strength have earned positive marks as he continues to hone his game.

Martha has shown the ability to play shortstop as his pro career gets underway, but his diverse skill set and strong arm could also lead to him seeing time at second or third base.

Quote:

Castillo doesn't boast the "wow" factor of the other top international prospects in this year's class, but the foundation is there for future success.

FWIW, Seattle signed Julio Rodriguez in July 2017. Made it the MLB in 2022 (age 21.100).

Santana (11/17/2006) is about a year older than Julio (12/29/2000} was in January of their signing year.

If the same age for debut, Santana would project to 2028. I know... I know... that's a long long way away.

alvtimes
fc2112 said:

MrCoachEricTaylor said:

All this.

He slashed 245/.328/.508 over the course of 2023. Really

good, top 15 power, a lot of Ks, not a lot of walks.

Im not crazy about this trend but MLB doesnt really seem to be concerned with high strikeout totals lately as long as the power is there along with rbis. Just look at '23 HR leaders and strikeouts
Olsen 167 k's
Schwarber over 200 k's
Pete Alonso 151 k's

High K's lotta pop big contracts….
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

We should be discussing the International Signings.

Top Ranked International players by MLB

Rangers signings:

2. Paulino Santana, OF, DR (17, 6'2"/180, RHB)
29. Curley Martha, SS, Curacao (17, 6'1"/165, RHB)
46. Yolfran Castillo, SS, Vz (16, 6'3"/175, RHB)
Nathaniel Palacios, SS, Venezuela
Daniel Flames, SS, Venezuela
Jose Marcano, C, Venezuela
Angel Arredondo, SS, Mexico
Manni Ramirez, OF, Dominican Republic
Javier Sanchez, C, Venezuela
Jonathan Rangel, OF, Venezuela
Claudiel Lantigua, SS, Dominican Republic
Jesus Lopez, RHP, Venezuela

Quote:

Santana fits the mold of a five-tool player. If the 16-year-old from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, played against premier American high-school talents, it's believed that he would line up well with the elite of the class. He has drawn comparisons to Julio Rodrguez both on and off the field.
Quote:

Santana's plus speed on the basepaths and in the field gives him the chance to play center field and stick there as he climbs through the system. Praised for his physical attributes and approach in a similar vein to last year's No. 1 international prospect Ethan Salas, who climbed to Double-A in his first pro season, Santana could be a similarly fast riser through the ranks.

Quote:

Known as a pure hitter with plus bat speed and a solid, strong build, the bat is unquestionably Martha's leading tool. His advanced instincts have earned praise from evaluators, and his all-around athleticism and strength have earned positive marks as he continues to hone his game.

Martha has shown the ability to play shortstop as his pro career gets underway, but his diverse skill set and strong arm could also lead to him seeing time at second or third base.

Quote:

Castillo doesn't boast the "wow" factor of the other top international prospects in this year's class, but the foundation is there for future success.

FWIW, Seattle signed Julio Rodriguez in July 2017. Made it the MLB in 2022 (age 21.100).

Santana (11/17/2006) is about a year older than Julio (12/29/2000} was in January of their signing year.

If the same age for debut, Santana would project to 2028. I know... I know... that's a long long way away.

This list includes a few more names, including a familiar name:

First Page Last Page
Page 49 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.