*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

318,121 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here they come...

<Projected> Actual = +Net
Dunning (Arb1): <$3.25M> $3.323 +$0.073M
Taveras (Arb1): <$2.25M> $2.55 +$0.200M

Burke (Arb1): <$1.4M>
Garcia (Arb1): <$5.25M>
Hernandez (Arb2): <$1.4M>
Heim (Arb1): <$4.0M
Lowe (Arb2): <$6.9M>
Sborz (Arb1): <$1.55M>
DallasAg 94
Yankees just signed Luke Weaver to a MLB deal. This is why i think the Rangers roster "as is" is sufficient to win the AL.

Yankees:
Gerrit Cole ( 32 ) : 33GS, 2.63, 209.0, 222 SO
Clarke Schmidt (27): 32GS, 4.64, 159.0, 149 SO
Carlos Rodon ( 30) : 14GS, 6.85, 64.1, 64 SO
Nestor Cortes ( 28) : 12GS, 4.97, 63.1, 67 SO
Luke Weaver ( 29 ) : 25GS, 6.40, 123.1, 109 SO

They blew their wad on Soto and traded off much depth for their rotation. They are in the CBT and desperately need SP. Snell. Montgomery. Stroman. Luke Weaver. One of these is not the same. Snell is likely out of range. Montgomery prefers the Rangers. Stroman dragged his sack across Cashman+Rotation and then dared them to sign him.

But Stroman is right. Aside from Cole, Cashman has a real problem. Trade deadline is unlikely unless they take on a huge contract.
fc2112
And keep in mind the position players for the Yankees have some pretty "meh" looking players in there.

Here's their projected starting lineup and their slashes

[ol]
  • DJ LeMahieu, 3B .267/.406/.613
  • Aaron Judge, CF .267/.406/.613
  • Juan Soto, RF .275/.410/.519
  • Giancarlo Stanton, DH .191/.275 /.420
  • Anthony Rizzo, 1B .244/.328/.378
  • Gleyber Torres, 2B .273/.347/.453
  • Alex Verdugo, LF .264/.324/.421
  • Anthony Volpe, SS .207/.283/.383
  • Austin Wells, C .229/.257/.486
  • [/ol]
    Judge and LeMahieu are both really good ballplayers. And Soto is an All Star caliber player. But they really fall off from there and exhibit very little power.
    _lefraud_
    AG
    Their lineup will be just fine, adding Soto and having Judge for the entire year will cause problems for opposing pitchers.

Their starting pitching though…
    DallasAg 94
    I guess the Rangers are going to Arbitration with Adolis Garcia?! Teams are supposed to swap figures at 7pm, tonight.

Garcia in Arb hearing.

<Adolis opening statement>:

<negotiations>

<Adolis closing statement>:

<Rangers response>

<Outcome>
    DallasAg 94
    Yanks get Stroman

2yr/ $18.5 per

He was expected to get around 2yr/$22 per.
    DallasAg 94
    Yanks apparently have an offer on the table for Snell.

Not sure if it was a "1st to blink" with Stroman or an attempt to add more.
    Mr Gigem
    AG
    I bet their sales reps are feeling a lot of pressure to hit their goals
    KT 90
    AG

KT 90
    AG
    DallasAg 94 said:

Yanks get Stroman

2yr/ $18.5 per

Pretty I saw an alert earlier saying Yanks agreed to a 1 year $31M deal with Soto to avoid arbitration . So Soto plus Stroman will put them way over the CBT I assume ( they were already over I think?)

I'll see if I can find it.
    Grapesoda2525
    DallasAg 94 said:

Yanks get Stroman

2yr/ $18.5 per

Hopefully takes Yanks out on Monty.
    Quincey P. Morris
    AG
    That was Soto.
    KT 90
    AG
    Quincey P. Morris said:

That was Soto.

Right. On the phone, meant to type Soto in there. I'll update.

Here are the details:

KT 90
    AG

Mr Gigem
    AG
    Adolis deserves much more than he's been making
    DallasAg 94
    KT 90 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Yanks get Stroman

2yr/ $18.5 per

Pretty I saw an alert earlier saying Yanks agreed to a 1 year $31M deal with Soto to avoid arbitration . So Soto plus Stroman will put them way over the CBT I assume ( they were already over I think?)

I'll see if I can find it.

COTS is usually a good source. They include projected Arb numbers. We'll see how it all shakes out, but $50M over as of now. Includes Soto but not Stroman.

fc2112
    Mr Gigem said:

Adolis deserves much more than he's been making
    But you don't get rich by overpaying when you don't have to.

Mr. Davis is rich. And the Rangers don't have to.

Rangers offered $5.0 MM - he wants $6.9 MM. MLB Trade Rumors had him slotted at $6.8 MM.

Rangers haven't actually gone to a hearing since 2000? Wow.

fc2112
    BTW - kinda funny swinging through Twitter and seeing so many people who apparently are noticing arbitration for the first time.
    alvtimes
    I know its business but dang seems like they should be able to dig up a mill for Adolis!
    sburg2007
    I'd say 98% of folks don't understand the contract rules for MLB on a macro scale. No clue how options, manipulating clock for team control, or arbitration is. Add in the folks that just jumped on board during the run and it skyrockets.
    Tksymm7
    AG
    I feel confident saying there are people in MLB front offices who don't fully understand all of the rules and regulations surrounding payment or contracts lol.
    rbtexan
    S
    The fact that the Rangers haven't had an arb case go to a hearing since 2000 is very telling IMO. It says (to me at least) that the team is reasonable and fair when it comes to arbitration-eligible players' salaries. I don't see this going on long or being very contentious, I suspect it'll get resolved fairly quickly.
    Water Boy
    AG
    Team control with Adolis works out perfectly for the Rangers. He won't be a FA until his age 34 season. I wonder if they work out a deal that works for both after this season. 5 for 75?
    agent-maroon
    AG
    sburg2007 said:

I'd say 98% of folks don't understand the contract rules for MLB on a macro scale. No clue how options, manipulating clock for team control, or arbitration is. Add in the folks that just jumped on board during the run and it skyrockets.

Speaking only for myself, but following all the money/contract/arbitration/salary cap rules is a detriment to my enjoyment of the sport. I watch sports to escape all that stuff, not to wade in to it. Just my opinion YMMV
    No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
    fc2112
    Water Boy said:

Team control with Adolis works out perfectly for the Rangers. He won't be a FA until his age 34 season. I wonder if they work out a deal that works for both after this season. 5 for 75?

This wouldn't surprise me at all. One more year as a serf, then buy out Arb2 and Arb3. If they buy those out on a 5 year, he'll be FA at age 37. Good for Rangers to let him go on the downside and good for him to get paid sooner rather than later.
    fc2112
    I love it. It's what keeps the Yankees and Dodgers from meeting in the World Series every year.
    DallasAg 94
    fc2112 said:

Water Boy said:

This wouldn't surprise me at all. One more year as a serf, then buy out Arb2 and Arb3. If they buy those out on a 5 year, he'll be FA at age 37. Good for Rangers to let him go on the downside and good for him to get paid sooner rather than later.
    So, just for clarification... since we're having that discussion. You probably already know this.

Serf is generally a term used for a player in their 1st 3 years. They get the league minimum and effectively, they are a serf making what they are told with no ability to negotiate. If the team wants to change that, it is up to the team.

Then, comes 3 years of Arb. Adolis is Arb1, meaning 1st year of arbitration. He has 2 more.

Overall, a team has 6 years of control on a player... 3 years of Serfdom and 3 years of Arb. Then they can become a FA. In the case of Lowe, his service time led to a 4th yr of Arb.

So, if the Rangers were to complete this Arb1 and then sign to a 5yr deal, it likely would be the final 2yrs of Arb plus 3 years of FA.

Teams will sometimes do that to leverage/extend control.

In the case of Martin Perez, when they bought out his Arb years, it included Serf years. The Rangers frontloaded a deal giving him more as a Serf in order to help him be able to afford to get his family out of Venezuela.
    DallasAg 94
    I had a longer response on the Adolis contract portion and compared it to Lowe.

We don't win the WS without Adolis who led the team in HRs and RBIs. He was arguably the #2 performer behind Seager. Lowe was a no show.

Arb has more to do with the player's body of work than just the playoffs, but $2M and less than Lowe could be seen as disrespectful... even if it is "fair" in Arb.

Having said that... my question turned to whether the $5M offer was as much to do with the Rangers view him in the org?! With Langston coming, the Rangers may be signalling that Adolis is a trade candidate and not a part of the long-term strategy.

OTOH, it could signal the difference on how much Adolis over-achieved vs Lowe in terms of body of work and projected expectations. Lowe had a down year at the plate.

Either way, both would be tradeable, IMO.
    fc2112
    My bad on using the term serf. Yeah, that's really just the first 3 years.

I can see this low ball for arbitration as part of a larger strategy to encourage him to be open to taking less to buy him out.

For arguments sake, let's say Garcia is worth $25 MM a year right after this season. The Rangers could go through two more years of - let's say $10 MM for Arb 2 and $15 MM for Arb 3. He'd them be getting $25 MM ( or more). So that $100 MM for the next 5 years.

You tell him - hey let's tie you up for 5 years for - $80 MM with a $10 MM signing bonus. Instead of $10 and $15 the next two years, you're getting $16 M both years AND $10 MM up front.

It's too bad for Garcia he is peaking so old, but that's how it goes.
    sburg2007
    agent-maroon said:

sburg2007 said:

Speaking only for myself, but following all the money/contract/arbitration/salary cap rules is a detriment to my enjoyment of the sport. I watch sports to escape all that stuff, not to wade in to it. Just my opinion YMMV
    I get it on your end. I work in college athletics and I get completely put off constantly hearing about the portal, NIL, etc now. Following recruiting used to be fun but now I just show up, see the games, and leave.

I don't deal with money or contracts so I find it quite interesting.
    94chem
    DallasAg 94 said:

I had a longer response on the Adolis contract portion and compared it to Lowe.

We don't win the WS without Adolis who led the team in HRs and RBIs. He was arguably the #2 performer behind Seager. Lowe was a no show.

Arb has more to do with the player's body of work than just the playoffs, but $2M and less than Lowe could be seen as disrespectful... even if it is "fair" in Arb.

Having said that... my question turned to whether the $5M offer was as much to do with the Rangers view him in the org?! With Langston coming, the Rangers may be signalling that Adolis is a trade candidate and not a part of the long-term strategy.

OTOH, it could signal the difference on how much Adolis over-achieved vs Lowe in terms of body of work and projected expectations. Lowe had a down year at the plate.

Either way, both would be tradeable, IMO.
    The Rangers won the world series because of their defense. That glove in RF was a HUGE part of it.
    94chem,
    That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
    MrCoachEricTaylor
    I feel like it could be a hot take, but at the same time I feel like I'm not really going out on a limb.. but Adolis totally over achieved during the post season..

He's one of my favorite current players and should 1000% be a Ranger's legend forever, but he is a career .250-.260 hitter albeit with off the chart power and run production. But he's so prone the the Ks and that really does harm his value as a player, imo.
    shack009
    AG
    MrCoachEricTaylor said:

I feel like it could be a hot take, but at the same time I feel like I'm not really going out on a limb.. but Adolis totally over achieved during the post season..

He's one of my favorite current players and should 1000% be a Ranger's legend forever, but he is a career .250-.260 hitter albeit with off the chart power and run production. But he's so prone the the Ks and that really does harm his value as a player, imo.

He seems like the kind of guy that just gets bored with the grind of the season and then fully locked in once the playoffs started.

He had some absolutely ridiculous at bats in the late summer. I'm not sure we saw a single bad AB from him in the playoffs.
    GigEmRangers75455
    shack009 said:

MrCoachEricTaylor said:

He seems like the kind of guy that just gets bored with the grind of the season and then fully locked in once the playoffs started.

He had some absolutely ridiculous at bats in the late summer. I'm not sure we saw a single bad AB from him in the playoffs.

If he could just face Houston pitching every game he'd break the homerun record in 3 seasons or so.
    MrCoachEricTaylor
    Maybe so! At minimum he just got (scorching) hot at the right time.

Also, I absolutely hate that he got hurt in the WS, but I did find it mildly funny that he strained his oblique while swinging so damn hard lol
    First Page Last Page
    Page 48 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.