*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

318,153 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
Water Boy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good insight. I see us making a big trade sometime this season if we look like a decent team during the year.
fc2112
First MLB Power Rankings for 2024. I have no problem with where the Rangers are

Proposition Joe
Worth noting that Evan Gramt is rarely plugged in on these things.
DallasAg 94
I think 1-2 looks right.

#1 Atlanta has a better rotation.
#2 Dodgers have added plenty.

I'd insert a gap.

I like Baltimore @ #3. They will be a year older and almost the same team.

#4 Yankees. I just thought Soto and other additions could be enough. I am subject to the media bias that constantly circulates.

#5 I'm not sold on the Rangers at #3. We won't have Monty nor Max to start the season, bu twe didn't have them for most of 2023. We basically start 2024 as we played most of 2023 and led most of the season.

#6 Philly - Solid

#7 Astros - I can't wait to see how they do at C. How will the rotation develop with a new receiver?!

#8 Tampa - Long term they are better, but the SP swap could lead to a slow start.
DallasAg 94
Looking at the MLB Twitter... looks like they are trying to drum up conversation for the offseason. Good for them.

Interesting perspective.

I'll cede the Rangers not having the best rotation. With Monty? With Max? With deGrom? I'll get back with you at the end of the season.

Braves
Strider (24): 32GS, 3.86 ERA, 186.2 IP, 281 SO, 1.093 WHIP
Fried (29-L): 14GS, 2.55 ERA, 77.2 IP, 80 SO, 1.133 WHIP
Sale (34-L): 20GS, 4.30 ERA, 102.2 IP, 125 SO, 1.086 WHIP
Morton (39): 30GS, 3.64 ERA, 163.1 IP, 183 SO, 1.427 WHIP
Elder (24): 31GS, 3.81 ERA, 174.2 IP, 128 SO, 1.277 WHIP

Rangers
Eovaldi (33): 25GS, 3.63 ERA, 144.0 IP, 132 SO, 1.139 WHIP
Dunning (28): 26GS, 3.70 ERA, 172.2 IP, 140 SO, 1.263 WHIP, 35G
Heaney(32-L): 28GS, 4.15 ERA, 147.1 IP, 151 SO, 1.378 WHIP, 34G
Jo Gray (31): 29GS, 4.12 ERA, 157.1 IP, 142 SO, 1.290 WHIP

I think with Bradford penciled in at #5 limits 1-5 depth rankings. Adding Monty would put us in the conversation.

Thoughts?
DallasAg 94
Wanted to add this separately:

We don't necessarily need the "best" rotation to make the playoffs. We should have enough
We will need 1-3 to match up with anyone else's 1-3 for the playoffs. A different discussion for sure.

This is what I'm excited to see:
Playoff Numbers:
Heaney: 3GS, 5G, 11.0 IP, 4.09 ERA, 4 SO, 1.36 ERA
Dunning: 0GS, 5G, 7.0 IP, 5.13 ERA, 5 SO, 1.86 ERA
JonGray: 0GS, 3G, 5.2 IP, 1.59 ERA, 8 SO, 0.88 ERA
Bradford: 0GS, 5G, 7.2 IP, 1.17 ERA, 5 SO, 0.52 ERA

Post-season success can be good and bad.
Heard Jon Gray on the radio a couple weeks ago. I'm all-in with him. I really got the sense he seized the opportunity and wants more. He could be an Ace for us in 2024.
Bradford was wobbly in 2023, but the post-season confidence could say "I belong" and give that extra confidence to go after hitters.
Water Boy
AG
Health is such a massive key. Whoever has the #1 rotation in the preseason can easily not have a top 10 rotation come playoff time. Our healthy rotation looks like 1.deGrom 2.Eovaldi 3.Scherzer 4.Dunning 5.Gray 6.Heaney. Arguably one of the best rotations in all of mlb but currently looking for more pitching due to health. Hopefully we get healthy at the right time before the playoff fun starts. This team won it all last year with a next man up mentality so I'm sure a few guys will step up if they need to.
Water Boy
AG
My way to early power rankings: 1)Braves 2)Dodges 3)Baltimore 4)Texas 5)Astros 6)Phillies 7)Dbacks 8)Yankees 9)Seattle 10)Rays.
Water Boy
AG
It's honestly shocking that Baltimore hasn't made any big moves this offseason. Not saying they need to brake the bank but they could easily sign 2-3 good pieces and still be 70 million under the tax. People think what LA is doing is bad for baseball but I think what the orioles are doing is worse for the game.
DallasAg 94
Well, I believe their lease ended at Camden after the 2023 season.

They just signed an extension and the owner is rumored to be trying to sell the team. Not sure how that works out for the fans, but could be interesting.

Dec 7:
https://sports.yahoo.com/orioles-reportedly-in-talks-to-sell-team-to-billionaire-baltimore-native-david-rubenstein-212456230.html

Dec 18:
https://www.wbaltv.com/article/baltimore-orioles-stadium-lease-deal-approved/46164623

I'm sure what NYM, SDP, and Rangers have done could drive the O's across the line. With many FAs still on the table, it will be interesting.

Last I heard, expectation with Boras is that he isn't in a hurry to get his remaining players signed. My guess is, it could be mid-to-late January?!
Water Boy
AG
Just sad you have so many owners look at their team primarily as a business. I fully understand that it is a business and you need to make money to keep the team going but if you can't afford to invest a minimum of 150 million a year in pay roll you need to sell the team. Think about how much joy was brought to Texas because Ray Davis opened up his wallet. Imagine the feeling of that moment being taken away so the billionaire can make a few extra bucks.
Water Boy
AG
In your opinion what are the 3 biggest concerns for Baltimore? Now whatever your answer is, Baltimore could sign the top available FA for those 3 positions and still be way under the tax line. It's ridiculous.
rbtexan
S
Water Boy said:

Just sad you have so many owners look at their team primarily as a business. I fully understand that it is a business and you need to make money to keep the team going but if you can't afford to invest a minimum of 150 million a year in pay roll you need to sell the team. Think about how much joy was brought to Texas because Ray Davis opened up his wallet. Imagine the feeling of that moment being taken away so the billionaire can make a few extra bucks.
I agree with all that, with one caveat. In some markets (Baltimore not being one of them), it's not as simple as opening up the owner's wallet. I'm not comfortable with the notion of telling someone else, who put up their money to buy a team, how much profit is acceptable. There are a lot of things to factor in that make it not so black & white. I think what the Oakland ownership has done, for example, is shameful. They don't even really try to be competitive. Maybe moving to LV will loosen the purse strings, but they're really the extreme example of prioritizing profit over performance on the field, and I think they're more the exception than the rule. Markets like Pittsburgh & KC don't have the ability to enhance revenue with big TV contracts, sponsorships, etc that teams like the Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, etc do.

We should feel fortunate that our team is in one of the big markets. For all the bashing of the new stadium, the hidden bonus to it is that they'll be able to drive additional revenue from it that will hopefully find its way into payroll investment.
DallasAg 94
Water Boy said:

Mike Bacsik on The Fan indicated the MLBPA projects teams average between $100-200M in net profit. So, the "need to make money" is believed to be there. That is part of the tension between owners and the PA.

The reality is, one team will bring that joy to its fans.... this year just happened to be us. And I'm happy about that. It comes down to how many owners are willing to burn so much cash like the NYM and SDP did only to have to dismantle.
DallasAg 94
O's are $138M below the CBT.

Their Closer Bautista went down with TJ near the end of the season. He went:
56G, 1.48 ERA, 61.0 IP, 110SO, 33 Saves

But, do you sign a Closer knowing he'll be back in 2025?

Outside of that, I don't know their roster well enough. I know they lost Frazier (2B) and Aaron Hicks (OF) but I'm not sure how much depth they have coming there.

They may not be 100+ Ws, but they could. NYY sucking, Boston being mediocre, and Tampa's SP woes could have made them look like a better team than they are, but we'll see.
Water Boy
AG
Would implementing a hard cap and hard floor be better for the game? Chiefs and royals in the exact same market. I get it, big difference between nfl and mlb.
Water Boy
AG
Baltimore is loaded. The main point I tried to make is that they could add 2-3 guys who could help with a lot of money to spare.
Water Boy
AG
I think balance is good for the game. I'm not going to fault an owner for not investing like the Mets of dodgers. My main argument is that you have to be able to at least spend some money. If spending the league average on payroll is just an impossible task for the owner it's time to sell.
Water Boy
AG
Also want to clarify that I agree with the examples you gave. Main gripe is with the teams that actually have money but don't spend it.
DallasAg 94
Maybe I misunderstood your point.

Yes, at $80M in 2024 payroll commits, they could add the 5 Top FAs available:

2. Bellinger (CF): Projected $22M
4. Snell (SP): Projected $29M
6. Montgomery (SP): $25M
7. Matt Chaman (DH?): $25M
8. Hader (Cl): $18M

All for $119M and still be below the CBT by $19M

Water Boy
AG
Imagine that Baltimore team with Monty and Snell.
Water Boy
AG
Maybe I should stop complaining that other teams refuse/can't make their teams better and be happy the Texas Rangers won the World Series and have a lot of young stars in the making!
duck79
AG
Isn't the biggest issue for the O's the fact that they have so many good players still under team control? They are going to have to start paying some of these guys and they probably don't want to sign anyone right now that could hurt that ability in a year or two. DallasAg would probably know their player control breakdown much better.
investorAg83
AG

Not Carter?? Hmm…going to be difficult for either to win if they were to split votes.
investorAg83
AG
And a blurb on Walcott from MLB.com:

Sebastian Walcott (No. 8/TEX No. 3, MLB No. 62)
Callis: He tore up the Arizona Complex League. Had an .849 OPS when he was there. And it wasn't just even the stats, he hit seven homers, he had nine steals in 35 games at that level at age 17. That's him making his US debut after nine games in the Dominican Summer League. He came over almost immediately. And it wasn't just the numbers, it was the way in which he did it. He's producing exit velocities in excess of 110 mph on a regular basis, which is crazy for a guy that young. His arm from shortstop, you know, you can put a plus-pus grade on it if you wanted. He's a solid runner who's faster in terms of straight line speed. Again, small sample size but he struck out 64 times in 48 games, so we're going to have to watch that. But in terms of dynamic tools and then being able to perform at age 17 in the United States, and even have enough to where you can hold your own for a few games at High-A at the end of the year, I was really really impressed with his debut in a summer when we had a lot of strong international debuts.

The exit velocity comment is insane…
Water Boy
AG
So much to be excited about for the next 5 years. Got the high priced vets, great players with a few years of team control, and a few young studs with a lot of years under team control. I wonder if CY starts offering guys like Jung and Carter long term contracts if they preform again this season. It's a risk but could be a huge advantage if we sign these guys early for cheap.
gigem1223
investorAg83 said:

Not Carter?? Hmm…going to be difficult for either to win if they were to split votes.

Love Carter, but until he starts hitting lefties it's going to be tuff for him to win hardware.
DallasAg 94
COTS has the O's with the following FAs after 2024 season:

McCann (C-33): 69G, .222, 6HR <- B/U Catcher
Santander (RF-28) - 153G, .257, 28HR, 5SB <- Concern, not sure what's behind.
Means (LH-SP-30) - 4GS, 2.66 ERA <- No value in 2023
Coulombe (LH-RP) - 61G, 2.81 ERA <- Big contribution in 2023.

Kimbrel signed for 2024 and has a club option for 2025. With Philly in 2023.

After 2025 they have a ton.
Mullins (CF-29): 116G, .233, 15HR, 19 SB
Hays (LF-28): 144G, .275, 16HR, 5SB
O'Hearn (DH-30): 112G, .289, 14 HR, 5SB
Mateo (SS-29): 116G, .217, 7HR, 32 SB
Dillon Tate (RH-RP, 30): Did not pitch for MLB.

The core:
Mountcastle (1B-26): 115G, .270, 18HR. Arb1 in 2024. FA after 2026
Rutschman (C-25): 154G, .277, 20HR. Serf3 in 2024+ 3Arbs. FA after 2027
Henderson (22): 150G, .255, 28HR, 10SB. Serf2 in 2024, +Serf3 + Arb3. FA after 2028.

Rotation (in order of coming off the control):
Kremer (SP-27): 32GS, 4.12 ERA. Serf3 in 2024 + 3 Arbs. Through 2027
Wells (SP-28): 20GS, 3.64 ERA. Arb1 in 2024 + 3 Arbs. Through 2027
Bradish (SP-26): 30GS, 2.83 ERA. Serf3 in 2024 +4Arbs. Through 2028
Rodriguez (SP-23): 23GS, 4.35 ERA. Serf1 in 2024. +2Serfs +3 Arbs

Two of the SPs have 4 Arb years.

Like I said, not sure the talent in behind those guys, but they should be fairly safe for 3+/- years.
DallasAg 94
It would be hard to imagine Carter getting beat out by Langford. Carter just went through the World Series and should have a tremendous amount of confidence and experience.

The key might be concerns about hitting LHP.

If Langford is RoY... he will have had to beat out Carter, Taveras, or Adolis for an OF spot. Let that sink in. I can't see him at full time DH.
DallasAg 94
investorAg83 said:

<clip>
He's producing exit velocities in excess of 110 mph on a regular basis, which is crazy for a guy that young.

<clip>

The exit velocity comment is insane…
It is as concerning as it is impressive.
GrapevineAg
AG
For anybody interested in a badass Peagle-themed Dallas Stars sweater, buy tix to the theme night here.

Grapesoda2525
GrapevineAg said:

For anybody interested in a badass Peagle-themed Dallas Stars sweater, buy tix to the theme night here.

Wow……that actually is pretty cool.
fc2112
DallasAg 94 said:

It would be hard to imagine Carter getting beat out by Langford. Carter just went through the World Series and should have a tremendous amount of confidence and experience.

The key might be concerns about hitting LHP.

If Langford is RoY... he will have had to beat out Carter, Taveras, or Adolis for an OF spot. Let that sink in. I can't see him at full time DH.
The most likely guy to get traded before next season IMHO is Taveras. MLB ready center fielders are only behind MLB shortstops in value (we got one of those too, but we may need him).

If Langford is the real deal, he is our everyday left fielder. He is just that good.
caleblyn
Anybody ever been to the HOF Induction?

I would LOVE to go see Beltre. One of, if not my top, all-time favorite!

I have a Houston friend that went to see Biggio and Bagwell and claims it to be an amazing week of fun!
Water Boy
AG
Wouldn't hate a Taveras trade as long as we got some good ready to go pitching in return. Taveras has a lot of upside.
First Page Last Page
Page 44 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.