*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

318,323 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
rbtexan said:

I can't wrap my head around a mindset in which the term "good character guys" wouldn't apply equally to a player's behavior in the team setting and also personal life. If either component is missing, the label doesn't apply. JMO
Say... Josh Hamilton?

Palmeiro was rumored to have been traded from the Cubs to the Rangers because he was sleeping with Ryne Sandberg's wife. The whole PED thing is another conversation in that same aspect.

Reality in America is that if your talent is good enough, your character doesn't matter.
South Platte
I don't think the Chapman and Bauer stories are that similar, which is why Chapman had a 30 game suspension and has been pitching since it ended, and Bauer is likely never to pitch in the MLB again.

Bauer is just an all-around horrible person.
gigem1223
South Platte said:

I don't think the Chapman and Bauer stories are that similar, which is why Chapman had a 30 game suspension and has been pitching since it ended, and Bauer is likely never to pitch in the MLB again.

How is he a horrible person? For being a victim of extortion? You should probably read up on the situation before judging people. What the MLB has done to him is downright shameful and wrong.
shack009
AG
South Platte said:

Bauer may never pitch in the MLB again, but it isn't because he did what he was accused of. We just live in an era where an accusation is all that really matters.

They settled out of court with no payments at all from Bauer to Hill. It is darn near impossible to be beat so soundly in court as a woman.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/trevor-bauer-settles-legal-dispute-accuser-reveals-damning-messages
South Platte
gigem1223 said:

South Platte said:

How is he a horrible person? For being a victim of extortion? You should probably read up on the situation before judging people. What the MLB has done to him is downright shameful and wrong.
Whether all of these women were out for money the whole time, or it was consensual, to inflict that type of damage to a woman is beyond comprehension. He's a sick person.
shack009
AG
South Platte said:

gigem1223 said:

South Platte said:

Whether all of these women were out for money the whole time, or it was consensual, to inflict that type of damage to a woman is beyond comprehension. He's a sick person.
Well we now know that she practically begged him to do that so that she could go after his money. Sure, he did do it, and it doesn't make him the most moral person in the world.

But let's not act like it was his idea to do to her and she sheepishly gave in. We now know everything was her idea.
rbtexan
S
DallasAg 94 said:

rbtexan said:

I can't wrap my head around a mindset in which the term "good character guys" wouldn't apply equally to a player's behavior in the team setting and also personal life. If either component is missing, the label doesn't apply. JMO
Say... Josh Hamilton?

Palmeiro was rumored to have been traded from the Cubs to the Rangers because he was sleeping with Ryne Sandberg's wife. The whole PED thing is another conversation in that same aspect.

Reality in America is that if your talent is good enough, your character doesn't matter.
I never would've said Hamilton or Palmeiro were "good character guys". Also, I wasn't criticizing or defending any player in particular, just making a comment on the phrase and the context used. I don't think you can separate clubhouse & personal life when you throw that out there. Again, JMO. No stones being thrown here.
Jimbo Franchione
Proposition Joe
It's fairly well known Justin Verlander isn't a "good character guy", but he's had no problems being embraced by his teammates.

How good the clubhouse gets along is a product of how much they are winning, not the other way around.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Proposition Joe said:

It's fairly well known Justin Verlander isn't a "good character guy", but he's had no problems being embraced by his teammates.

How good the clubhouse gets along is a product of how much they are winning, not the other way around.
Whats the Verlander stuff about?
DallasAg 94
rbtexan said:

DallasAg 94 said:

rbtexan said:

Say... Josh Hamilton?

I never would've said Hamilton or Palmeiro were "good character guys". Also, I wasn't criticizing or defending any player in particular, just making a comment on the phrase and the context used. I don't think you can separate clubhouse & personal life when you throw that out there. Again, JMO. No stones being thrown here.
My post wasn't meant to call you out. Sorry if it felt that way. I was half agreeing with you and half disagreeing.

By all accounts Hamilton was a good enough teammate that everyone was willing to forego celebrations to accommodate his sobriety. Winning matters, I suppose. But, to your point, in the end poor character off the field infected his relationship with Kinsler and others.

Palmeiro, if not for sleeping with a team mate's wife for the most part was considered a pretty good clubhouse and fan favorite. And then the whole PED thing.

To your point, if you make poor decisions in life, it is rarely limited to either work or home. Having said that, most men who engage in domestic violence and beat their wife... have compartmentalized that and their "work family" has no idea.
rbtexan
S
Yep. I just sort of wonder where the cut-off line is in determining what makes someone a "good character guy". If you factor in Matt Bush's past, would he be considered to be that? Juan Gonzales was surly and moody, I don't know if I'd put him in the category.

I think winning, or performing at a high level, covers up a multitude of sins. I don't know if the Rangers should take a shot on Bauer. What initially looked like a black & white situation is completely gray, it's hard to know exactly what to think about him and what happened.

Or maybe he should just sign with the Astros. After all, they're chokers too.
Jimbo Franchione
DallasAg 94
rbtexan said:

Or maybe he should just sign with the Astros. After all, they're chokers.
But only at home.

Too soon?
KT 90
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

Fanatics is having a pretty insane sale in World Series stuff right now.
thanks for the heads up on this. I picked up a few more things last night.
shack009
AG
KT 90 said:

Quincey P. Morris said:

Fanatics is having a pretty insane sale in World Series stuff right now.
thanks for the heads up on this. I picked up a few more things last night.

My goodness, it's like 75% off a ton of stuff.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Dodgers pick up Yamamoto too.
investorAg83
AG
Dodgers reportedly sign Yamamoto…ridiculous.
_lefraud_
AG
It's gonna be even more glorious when they don't win it all in 2024.
Water Boy
AG
325 million for Yamamoto!
cmiller00
AG
$1MM a year for 325 years?
DallasAg 94
That probably doesn't include the posting fee.

$50M signing bonus. $0 deferred. I'll assume it scales.

At some point, I'll have to break down their team, or just ignore them because they are NL.

SP was a huge weakness. Glasnow and Yamamoto address that in 2024, Shohei in 2025.

Glasnow doesn't concern me, nor does Shohei from a pitching perspective. They could still pick up Kershaw mid-season.
DallasAg 94
This is the guy I'm looking forward to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C5%8Dki_Sasaki%27s_perfect_game

He asked to be posted late this offseason. I don't know the chances that he gets posted next season, but like Ohtani, if he were posted in 2025, he'll be paid out of Int'l Pool money.
Tksymm7
AG
Roki Sasaki is the guy. He's 22, throws 100 and has every pitch in the book with a very smooth delivery. Problem for Sasaki is that getting him here before his nine years (this is completely absurd btw) of NPB experience is complete will be tricky. Japanese players can request to be posted, like you have said, which means all clubs have 45 days to negotiate a contract with him. The kicker is, that for Major League contracts with a total guaranteed value of $50,000,001 or more, the release fee will be 20 percent of the first $25 million plus 17.5 percent of next $25 million plus 15 percent of the total guaranteed value exceeding $50 million, which is all money that the owner has to have on hand ready to swish a check. Sasaki would almost undoubtedly get 50+ in total value. It's enough to make you think about it.
DallasAg 94
So, some clarity...

What you describe is what happens if they get posted as you've said... after 9 years (I believe at 25 or so it can be done).

For Sasaki, that is 3 years from now.

Ohtani had an opt-out in his contract and what isn't know is if Sasaki has a similar one. If he does... (ETA): his team may have to post him (endETA) teams can sign him, but teams would be limited to their International Pool money. Then, I believe they would be a Serf for 3 years and have 3 yrs of Arb, just like Latin players.

I believe he is projected to be 2+ yrs from playing at the MLB level, but like Ohtani... if he wants to push the issue, it could happen.

I think as more and more Japanese players have success, there will have to be some changes.

It would be interesting if Korea and Japan played for a Championsip. And if the MLB WS Champion player their AllStars.

MLB expand to Mexico with 2 teams in Mexico City..
tk for tu juan
Water Boy
AG
If you were the gm what trades would you make before the season if any?
Mr Gigem
AG
Carter and Langford for Ohtani and Yamamoto
Tksymm7
AG
We've got to find more bullpen somewhere.
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem said:

Carter and Langford for Ohtani and Yamamoto
If I'm the Dodgers, I take that in a New York minute.
rbtexan
S
Carter, Langford, Porter, Walcott and Leiter for Joey Gallo and Rougned Odor
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
rbtexan said:

Carter, Langford, Porter, Walcott and Leiter for Joey Gallo and Rougned Odor

Uh oh. The Grapesoda signal has gone up.
Double Talkin' Jive...
gibby03
AG
Garver to the Mariners. 2 yrs / 24M
Danny Vermin
Welp, needs a standing ovation when he comes to town. He was huge in the playoffs.
DallasAg 94
gibby03 said:

Wonder what he'll cost us in trade at the deadline when the Mariners are sellers?!

j/k.

Good for him. Wish we had signed him, but he deserves a multi-year deal.

With Duran, Langford, Smith, Huff, Foscue, et al... we could fill the DH role internally shuffling players. That backup C, though... not sure our plan, but there always seems to be a fit.
PatriotAg02
AG
gibby03 said:

Yuck. That's like going to the Astros lite.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

gibby03 said:

Wonder what he'll cost us in trade at the deadline when the Mariners are sellers?!

j/k.

Good for him. Wish we had signed him, but he deserves a multi-year deal.

With Duran, Langford, Smith, Huff, Foscue, et al... we could fill the DH role internally shuffling players. That backup C, though... not sure our plan, but there always seems to be a fit.

I think they'll go with Huff as backup C, DH, and backup 1B. At least give him a shot until the trade deadline then go another direction if necessary.
Double Talkin' Jive...
First Page Last Page
Page 40 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.