*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

318,856 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
_lefraud_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Rangers got several career years out of guys in 2023. And it still took this team 161 games to make the playoffs. Adding a bat like Ohtani is insurance for if Garcia struggles from his injury, or Heim reverts back to his career avg, or if Jung has a sophomore slump or when Carter doesn't hit .300 as a rookie.

So yea, I'm adding Ohtani to the lineup as the Rangers will need to be better in 2024. And if he pitches in 2025, that's icing on the cake.

The window opened a year or two early. Now is the time to try and be as good as you possibly can for the next 5 years.
alvtimes
shack009 said:

alvtimes said:

I have no confidence that MLB will ever make baseball easy to watch from a tv perspective.
I understand this, but they did just add the pitch clock to make the viewing experience better. Maybe they've done nothing in the past, but they are showing signs of attempting to gain/retain viewership.

I could care less about 24 xtra minutes of baseball….. Im talking about the ability to actually turn on the tv and watch the Rangers. MLB seems to have backwards thinking about pushing their sport to the masses. In my opinion it isnt 24 minutes of slow baseball that is turning people away…. its being made to jumo thru hoops to watch their favorite team.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Then care less
Mr Gigem
AG
Brandon Hyde wins AL Manager of the Year
shack009
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Brandon Hyde wins AL Manager of the Year

What a joke.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
The guy that got his ass swept out of the playoffs?

Awesome pick.
shack009
AG
Flounder Dorfman said:

The guy that got his ass swept out of the playoffs?

Awesome pick.

Yeah but it wasn't his fault, it was those 5 days of rest at home that screwed them.
Water Boy
AG
It is a regular season award. It was the right pick.
vander54
S
He had an amazing regular season. I expected Bochy to win but not upset by the pick.
World's worst proofreader
DallasAg 94
Yeah... the votes are cast before the post-season, correct?

It was a good choice, IMO.

Bochy almost lost out on the playoffs and we kinda backed in. O's were over 100Ws.

Payroll:
Rangers: $241M - 90Ws.
O's: $93M - 101Ws.
fc2112

94chem
The window opened when it was supposed to open. Some of y'all just paid too much attention to the media.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
fc2112 said:

DFW writers should send him an AL West Champs flag.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
_lefraud_
AG
Windows don't open after a 94 loss season. Maybe unlocked and/or cracked, but certainly not open.
DallasAg 94

https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-mlb-manager-of-the-year-voting-totals

Quote:

AMERICAN LEAGUE RESULTS
Brandon Hyde, BAL: 27 (1st-place votes), 3 (2nd) -- 144 points
Bruce Bochy, TEX: 3 (1st), 12 (2nd), 10 (3rd) -- 61 points
Kevin Cash, TB: 13 (2nd), 13 (3rd) -- 52 points
Rocco Baldelli, MIN: 1 (2nd), 5 (3rd) -- 8 points
Dusty Baker, HOU: 1 (2nd), 1 (3rd) -- 4 points
John Schneider, TOR: 1 (3rd) -- 1 point

Our Astros fans should love the Dusty vote.
DannyDuberstein
AG
94chem said:

fc2112 said:

DFW writers should send him an AL West Champs flag.

I'm telling you. That town has the most outrageous case of tiny d syndrome that has ever existed. LOL that Bochy is on 25 of the other 29 ballots while Dusty got 1 third place out of the 29. This dude putting Dusty at 2 and leaving Bochy off entirely is hilarious
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

I'm telling you. That town has the most outrageous case of tiny d syndrome that has ever existed. LOL that Bochy is on 25 of the other 29 ballots while Dusty got 1 third place out of the 29. This dude putting Dusty at 2 and leaving Bochy off entirely is hilarious
Somewhere in Harris County and/or BCS there is a group of astros fans that just heard this article read out loud and quickly followed with a round of high fives & loud shouts of "Eff Dallas"
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DallasAg 94
agent-maroon said:

Quote:

Somewhere in Harris County and/or BCS there are a group of astros fans that just heard this article read out loud and quickly followed with a round high fives & loud shouts of "Eff Dallas"
I'm checking the other thread.
fc2112
Another example of idiocy on the other thread.

Farmer1906 said:

Pretty sure if someone gets picked they have to stay on the big league roster all year. Our own Ryan Pressly is probably the best Rule 5 pick of all time.
This dude begs to differ, being in the HoF and all...

DallasAg 94
Odubel Herrera was one of the biggest Rangers of note that was lost via Rule V. Philly took him and moved him to CF.

We were so loaded at MIF. Andrus was our SS.

SS - 2015
Hanser Alberto (22-AAA): 81G, .310, 4HR, 5SB <- Played 2B in 2015 for Rangers
Jurickson Profar (22-AA): 12G, .256, 1 HR, 0 SB

2B - 2015
Drew Robinson (23-AAA): .235, 21 HR, 16 SB
Odor (21-AAA): 30G, .352, 5 HR, 3 SB<- Played 2B in 2015 for Rangers
IKF (20-A+): 98G, .296, 0 HR, 11 SB

Luis Sardinas (Traded for Gallardo) and Herrerra were others in 2014 that we lost going into 2015.
Grapesoda2525
I'm a little disappointed that we got skunked in all the awards besides a few gold gloves. Oh well…. Maybe Carter can win Rookie of the year next year.
Water Boy
AG
I'll trade in the regular season awards for the post season awards.
shack009
AG
Still upset that Jung got hurt and missed out on sure fire ROY and would have gained the Rangers another draft pick.
DallasAg 94
Didn't Semien and Seager get Silver Slugger?
94chem
_lefraud_ said:

Windows don't open after a 94 loss season. Maybe unlocked and/or cracked, but certainly not open.

That was an 84 loss team hiding behind an abysmal record in one run games. With the additions, I was expecting them from day 1 to challenge for the division. I saw the 2009 Rangers, and remember that eye test of when a team is close. Despite the great playoff run, this team had way more bad bounces than good over the 179 games.
94chem,
jkag89
DallasAg 94 said:

Didn't Semien and Seager get Silver Slugger?
Yes
KT 90
AG
Article from Evan on Bally/DSG. Basically, negotiations for 2024 are ongoing (Bally wants to pay less money). S0 Bally isn't confirmed yet for the 2024 season. The non-Bally option for 2024 would be going through MLB.

What IS confirmed is that there will be no Bally after 2024.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/rangers/2023/11/14/what-does-mlbs-uncertain-future-with-bally-sports-mean-for-texas-rangers-in-2024-beyond/?sailthru_id=6268110a4f757f64badd17d2&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MorningRoundup_11142023&utm_term=Morning%20Roundup%20with%20Start%20Exclusion
fc2112
So DSG wants the Rangers to take a haircut for 2024. The contract payout is like $110 MM - I'm guessing they're offering around $50 MM.

Can the Rangers do better on MLB TV? Beats me, but probably not. Padres went that route and had to take a $50 MM loan in September to handle short term cash flow problems.and now they're shopping Juan Soto.

DSG will make sure they're the highest bidder for 2024, but just barely. And we'll all be stuck with one more years of Direct TV streaming.
DallasAg 94
Juan Soto is likely being shopped because the Padres owner "shot the moon" in an attempt to win a WS before he died.

The Padres **** the bed and the owner died empty handed.

Soto has 1 year left of Arb and the Padres are left having to rebuild. Soto will infuse tremendous talent and the Padres will be on a more sustainable footing.

I doubt it has anything to do with Bally's per se.
caleblyn
Since I am too lazy to look it up and would prefer to have the conversation with ya'll, is their some kind of timeline with free agency, during this time of year? Are there certain dates when deals must be complete? Another question would replace the word, "must"...do transactions typically occur before certain dates? For example, I read an article where Ohtani is likely to have a decision made before the Winter Meetings.
birdman
There is a small window at end of season. Teams can exclusively negotiate with their guys. That has passed and there are pretty much no hard dates.
birdman
As to typical dates….

Nobody wants to be first. There is fair amount of decent starting pitching this year. Guys like Montgomery for Texas.

None of these pitchers wants to sign first deal. They are all waiting for early bird to set the market. Then obviously the supply shrinks by one and they think they will get more money.
CampingAg
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

I'm a little disappointed that we got skunked in all the awards besides a few gold gloves. Oh well…. Maybe Carter can win Rookie of the year next year.
An Astro could win every single award and I couldN'T care less.
DallasAg 94
Some comments, caleblyn.

As mentioned teams had an exclusive chance to negotiate with their players. Some timeline stuff...

After the end of the WS, teams have a window to make a Qualifying Offer to soon-to-be FAs. A QO is an average of the Top125 players. Teams have a deadline to make the offer. The players have a window to accept/reject. I believe until the end of that deadline, those players can't sign elsewhere.

The Winter GM meetings just completed. That is a time when you may see some trades, but AFAIK, rarely FA signings, if they are allowed.

The Rule V roster deadline was yesterday. That is when you make your roster complete to protect players in your minors. The actual draft is Dec 5th? I believe. The Rangers have 38 (including Hedges for some reason). In order to participate in the draft, teams must have an open roster spot. ie... you can't have 40 on your 40. So, the Rangers effectively can participate. I believe that Rule V roster deadline is the same deadline for players to reject their QO, which helps teams know where they stand.

Over the next few weeks, teams can sign FAs, but little activity is completed because teams are evaluating where they are what might be. As mentioned, Ohtani supposedly plans to have a decision by the Winter Meetings (Dec 4-7th). I think that is when you see many decisions made. Mid-December you'll have a wave of FA signing. I think Boras gets GMs in neighboring rooms and goes back and forth twisting their arms. The face-to-face helps move things along. I think historically, mid-Jan is when the next wave happens. Teams start to evaluate the moves of other teams and start to panic.

Some players/agents don't like to be 1st, which is true... the other side of that is Agents can leverage multiple players against teams. Boras has Snell and Montgomery and will likely use the two to get better deals for each of them. If you can drive up the cost of your 2nd best FA SP... the best will get that much more. He can also wait to see if a SP signs with a competitor... say Yamamoto signs with Seattle, the Rangers then have more urgency to sign Monty.

Here is a link that is probably more accurate timeline info:
https://www.si.com/mlb/diamondbacks/news/key-2023-2024-offseason-dates-for-major-league-baseball

caleblyn
First Page Last Page
Page 17 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.