*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

318,798 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
Michael Cera Palin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So where does the team's tv go? We've been with FSSW + Bally for so long now I don't even know what other Regional Sports Networks are out there anymore to shop tv rights to (and it's a dying model anyway). I have a feeling this could end up really great or really poorly for fans come 2025
Quincey P. Morris
AG
My biggest concern is I live in Houston and have always been able to watch the games pretty easily. It could go south on that depending on what they do.

I'm hoping MLB allows a single team streaming option so I can just jump on that and ditch fubo and other services during the summer when baseball is all I use live tv for.
DallasAg 94
HSN?
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

My biggest concern is I live in Houston and have always been able to watch the games pretty easily. It could go south on that depending on what they do.

I'm hoping MLB allows a single team streaming option so I can just jump on that and ditch fubo and other services during the summer when baseball is all I use live tv for.
Yeah this whole collapse of Bally is going to really force MLB's hand here

Either they come up with some form of an innovative steaming solution (I'm doubtful) or double down on the RSN model and continue trying to punish cord cutters.

Easiest solution would be to remove the zip code blackout restrictions on MLB tv but that would be too simple, progressive, and kind for MLB to consider
DallasAg 94
Quote:

By August, DSG had paid the Rangers in full for 2023. The Rangers originally signed a 20-year, $3 billion deal in 2010 with Fox Sports Southwest, which was purchased by DSG and became Bally Sports Southwest in 2019. It is believed the Rangers were owed $111 million in 2023.

Along about the time it was clear the Rangers were likely to make the playoffs, DSG ponied up. At bet that pays off for them with the Rangers winning the WS.

I think MLB has been trying to recover the media rights to MLB games so they can distribute them via the MLB Apps which... of course... would be subscription based.

I wonder if the agreement they reached would allow MLB to distribute games in 2024 via the App in DFW?!
AgBQ-00
AG
I would love to have a completely open MLBtv no area restrictions where you pay a (reasonable) fee for the entire season of all teams. Excluding that have a single team option to be able to stream your team no matter where you live. But the problem with that is the revenue that the RSNs pay to the teams. Not sure the pay to watch model makes up that kind of cashflow.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I thought the rumor was they wanted to get all streaming rights back to handle that end themselves.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

I would love to have a completely open MLBtv no area restrictions where you pay a (reasonable) fee for the entire season of all teams. Excluding that have a single team option to be able to stream your team no matter where you live. But the problem with that is the revenue that the RSNs pay to the teams. Not sure the pay to watch model makes up that kind of cashflow.
That's what I find so interesting about the situation. With Bally dying, and so many teams being "freed" from RSNs, there may be an opportunity to finally move away from this
DallasAg 94
Rule V Roster deadline is today.

Rangers have 34 currently on the roster which includes Hedges. Not sure why he is still listed on the team.

One of the radio guys (Bacsik maybe?) joked that maybe he was just too lazy to file the FA paperwork. Maybe he'll be one of those guys that just stays around and hangs out and nobody questions.
KT 90
AG

Quote:

This means the Texas Rangers will get their broadcast rights back after the 2024 season and can begin pursuing a new broadcast deal for the 2025 season.

So at least negotiations are opening up for 2025 at a time when the Rangers are coming off of a World Series and should be in a more favorable bargaining position (that they would have been a year or two back). As others have said, would be nice if MLB could come up with a one size fits all type solution.

Quincey P. Morris
AG
That's odd about Hedges. I'd still love to have him back.
KT 90
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

That's odd about Hedges. I'd still love to have him back.

What's odd about Hedges to me is that he has been in the majors a lot longer than I realized. He's always been solid defensively but had some decent years at the plate with SD, even banged some HR's. Now he seems pretty lost up at the plate most of the time.

That being said, there are worse options for the 3rd catcher spot and he's obviously a good guy to have around. Well received by the players. Keep him if it works out with the overall roster.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
He's definitely a great clubhouse guy.

Just looked at the transactions page as well and everybody else shows as having elected free agency. What the hell would even happen if he didn't?
rocky_ag
AG
Not just a good defensive catcher... he is GREAT. One of the best in all of baseball. If he was serviceable at the plate, he would be very valuable. Add in his locker room presence and he only gets more valuable.
shack009
AG
Michael Cera Palin said:

So where does the team's tv go? We've been with FSSW + Bally for so long now I don't even know what other Regional Sports Networks are out there anymore to shop tv rights to (and it's a dying model anyway). I have a feeling this could end up really great or really poorly for fans come 2025
The D Backs were on a local channel here called MyAZ or something like that for the rest of the season after their suit with Bally's was settled.
alvtimes
I have no confidence that MLB will ever make baseball easy to watch from a tv perspective.
shack009
AG
alvtimes said:

I have no confidence that MLB will ever make baseball easy to watch from a tv perspective.
I understand this, but they did just add the pitch clock to make the viewing experience better. Maybe they've done nothing in the past, but they are showing signs of attempting to gain/retain viewership.
DallasAg 94
NYY Cashman on Stanton:

Quote:

"But I'm not gonna tell you he's gonna play every game next year because he's not. He's going to wind up getting hurt again more likely than not because it seems to be part of his game."
AgBQ-00
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

NYY Cashman on Stanton:

Quote:

"But I'm not gonna tell you he's gonna play every game next year because he's not. He's going to wind up getting hurt again more likely than not because it seems to be part of his game."

Oh my...
KT 90
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

NYY Cashman on Stanton:

Quote:

Oh my...

Good thing they have him locked down for four more years

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/new-york-yankees/giancarlo-stanton-6864/
DallasAg 94
And it will only cost them $10M to kick him off the team for that 5th year.
fc2112
For those dancing about the Bally news, be aware that money was a significant revenue stream the Rangers counted on to help fund the team.

The Rangers have had a full year to imagine some way to stream their games for $$$. They're not just gonna broadcast on Channel 21 for free.

Some of the new players like Apple TV, Hulu and hell maybe even Netflix will be in on it. But be aware - you're gonna pay to watch locally.
rocky_ag
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

NYY Cashman on Stanton:

Quote:

Stanton's agent was not happy about this.

Quote:

I think it's a good reminder for all free agents considering signing in New York both foreign and domestic that to play for that team you've got to be made of Teflon, both mentally and physically because you can never let your guard down even in the offseason.

Interesting because Stanton's agent is also Yamamoto's agent, who NY is reportedly wants very badly. May have shot themselves in the foot.
Jsimonds58
AG
That's fine I just want to be ABLE to pay to watch. Wasn't even an option before outside of direct tv
Water Boy
AG
I was about to pay the $20 for the bally streaming service just to watch the mavs/ranger until I found out you still need cable for the rangers. I'm cool with paying $20 for apply tv to watch my teams in addition to movies/tv shows.
fc2112
So I think Foscue and Kelley are the only shoe-ins to go to the 40 Man to avoid exposure to Rule 5. Maybe Church since we have so much room. But that's it.

Keep in mind selecting team has to keep him on 26 man all year. Hard to justify protecting guys who very few teams would want to make that commitment to.
DeangeloVickers
AG
rbtexan
S
We just won the WS without Ohtani. I'm not sure why we would pay $500M for a 31 yr old DH. Keep in mind he won't be pitching next season.

I just don't see the need. There are other areas I would rather see the team spend money (bullpen arms). Our outfield is set, our infield is set, we're good at catcher. If Langford continues his fast trajectory, you have 4 starting OFers, you can rotate the DH ABs between them. Ohtani just seems like a waste of resources to me at this point. If he hadn't blown out his arm, maybe so. But again, he won't be pitching next season, so....
Jimbo Franchione
_lefraud_
AG
I pay $150 every year for MLBTV and would happily pay double that if I got to choose one "local" team as an add-on.
DallasAg 94

Mr Gigem
AG
So who now is exposed?
_lefraud_
AG
Adding a two time MVP winner to this lineup is hardly wasteful. I'll agree that I don't want to sign Ohtani if it means we don't sign Monty and make other moves.

But a 2024 lineup of the top 3 MVP vote getters would certainly be fun.
rbtexan
S
Looks to me as though the only players at risk of being lost in the Rule 5 draft have been protected. If we lose Wendzel or Crim it's not a huge loss given our minor league depth. JMO
Jimbo Franchione
rbtexan
S
_lefraud_ said:

Adding a two time MVP winner to this lineup is hardly wasteful. I'll agree that I don't want to sign Ohtani if it means we don't sign Monty and make other moves.

But a 2024 lineup of the top 3 MVP vote getters would certainly be fun.
Spending that kind of money is the textbook definition of wasteful, because it's not an area of need. It's gluttony. We don't need Ohtani - we didn't need him this season, and we don't need him next season. Unless he drastically lowers his asking price, I hope the Rangers kick the tires and move on.
Jimbo Franchione
DallasAg 94
rbtexan said:

We just won the WS without Ohtani. I'm not sure why we would pay $500M for a 31 yr old DH. Keep in mind he won't be pitching next season.

I just don't see the need. There are other areas I would rather see the team spend money (bullpen arms). Our outfield is set, our infield is set, we're good at catcher. If Langford continues his fast trajectory, you have 4 starting OFers, you can rotate the DH ABs between them. Ohtani just seems like a waste of resources to me at this point. If he hadn't blown out his arm, maybe so. But again, he won't be pitching next season, so....
You're asking the wrong question. You are asking "why?" The question is "why not?!"

Baseball is about margins and risk.

We could improve in a few areas, but are our weak spots could be DH, backup C, LH RP, RH RP... maybe a SP.

What we don't know is what the injury outlook will be in 2024. We lost Seager, Jung, and Heim all at the same time during the season.

If you have the chance to put the 2023 MVP and presumably the #1 Hitter in MLB... a guy considered a generational talent in the DH role... or put a guy you drafted less than a year ago who was hitting College pitchers as DH. I think you go with the guy that went .304, 44 HRs, 20 SB, .412 OBP, 1.066 OPS.
First Page Last Page
Page 16 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.