***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

922,706 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
texasaggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As someone who has been through some pretty dark times mentally myself, there's no amount of money that will suddenly make you feel better. I don't know exactly what he's struggling with- but it's really not as simple as just looking at your bank account and feeling happy.

Baseball is extremely tough on you mentally and I would argue it's tougher now than ever with the enhanced expectations and criticism that comes with the social media age.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The Porkchop Express
astros4545 said:

8 is way too low...easily 5
It's because of his health. He missed 48 games last year. Guy can't be Top 5 if he's unavailable for 30% of the games.
Beat40
Coleman is a big SOB.
Farmer1906
AG
We ended up with 7 top 100 players, all 7 were in the top 62.

Guys who missed the list
  • Bryan Abreu
  • Ryan Pressly
  • Chas McCormick
  • Yainer Diaz

To be fair, there were only 3 relievers on the entire list. It seems really strange that MLB Network determined Chas to be a top 5 LFer yet somehow not in the top 100. Yainer being out makes sense, but I think he proves the list wrong by the end of the season.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-network-top-100-right-now-for-2024
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Farmer1906
AG
Yainer showing some patience!
All I do is Nguyen
Farmer1906 said:

Pressly's lost a step

/TexAgs....probably
Farmer1906
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Farmer1906 said:

Pressly's lost a step

/TexAgs....probably
But he K-d Tuve.... oh no Jose is washed up.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Fangraphs: gut-feel guys we think can make the 2025 Top 100

Here are the Astros mentioned in the article. Not very many.

Quote:

Black Box Arms (All EL)
Alonzo Tredwell, RHP, Houston Astros

These are all pitchers from the last couple of drafts who haven't yet thrown at an affiliate. A few of them threw during instructs. This piece is more "predicting" than "scouting," and basically every pitcher I've chosen here comes from an org that has demonstrated that it's capable of teasing good things out of its pitching.

Tredwell (UCLA) and Baumesiter (Florida State) were second round picks with vertically oriented fastball/breaking ball combos. Neither developed exceptional velocity in college, but they could break out if they do so as pros.

Quote:

Weirdos
Brice Matthews, SS, Houston Astros (EL)

Like Groover, Matthews was a divisive 2023 college prospect (Nebraska). He's incredibly athletic and toolsy, has amazing bat speed, and makes the occasionally impossible defensive play, but he's also super raw in basically every facet of baseball. His special physical gifts give him a sizable ceiling.

Names to Know: 100 More Relevant Prospects

Quote:

Big League-Ready Center Field Defenders
Kenedy Corona, CF, Houston Astros

Corona, about to turn 24, has impressive power for a player his size and can play center field as well as the other Astros 40-man members. He's a sub-70% contact guy with below average plate discipline and is a more volatile hitter than the McCormick/Meyer/Dubn cluster ahead of him on the roster.
Quote:

Strong-Side Platoon Look
Jacob Melton, CF, Houston Astros

We like this group, and everyone in it received thorough consideration for the Top 100, but they're all more Matt Joyce/Seth Smith/Lucas Duda types than true 50-grade corner mashers.

Melton's the most athletic of this group, but his feel for center field isn't great.
Quote:

Monstrous Power
Zach Dezenzo, DH, Houston Astros

The 23-year-old Dezenzo has very special physicality and power in the mold of Christian Encarnacion-Strand. It's enough power for him to be an exciting role player. Apprehension regarding his defense and how he will perform against big league-quality fastballs limit his projection to that range. He's a pretty bad third base defender and has a few too many strikeouts for comfort as a DH.

More prospect info. I hope Dezenzo works on his gloves because he's our best option at 3B next year unless we find a bunch of money for Bregman or make Dubon an everyday player.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
That Ketch guy mentioned this.
texasaggie2015
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Nah. The pitch clock effected Javier a lot more than it did Framber. They have Javier on a really strict diet/conditioning program to get him in better shape.

Yep. Old news.
iBrad
AG
Sometimes the difference between being an all-star and being out of the league is between the ears.
TarponChaser
iBrad said:

Sometimes the difference between being an all-star and being out of the league is between the ears.

That's the case almost all the time.
bearkatag15
AG
Live baseball is on ESPN
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Padres throwing BP in game 1
bearkatag15
AG
Padres are bringing in their 3rd pitcher of the game. There is 1 out in the 1st inning. Musgrove started
Farmer1906
AG
The unis don't look bad from a distance but when you get close and see the back with the #, it looks terrible. Pants are kind of see thru too. What a dumb unforced fumble by MLB.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

The unis don't look bad from a distance but when you get close and see the back with the #, it looks terrible. Pants are kind of see thru too. What a dumb unforced fumble by MLB.

Manfred, the non-visionary commissioner, runs the MLB.
Ag_07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

So...Par for the course
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

astros4545 said:

8 is way too low...easily 5
It's because of his health. He missed 48 games last year. Guy can't be Top 5 if he's unavailable for 30% of the games.

How many games did/will judge, trout and ohtani miss and get back to me
Beau Holder
AG
Just turned it on, Padres already in midseason form?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

redline248
AG
You SOB, now I'm gonna have to spend 20 minutes looking at photos of chicks in yoga pants
Mathguy64
AG
So if I understand it, this wasn't MLB but Nike that decided to subcontract it out. I really can't believe Nike is letting this happen. It's their brand.
tjack16
AG
Why did they even change the uniforms? They were just fine the way they were
Beau Holder
AG
Did this dude really just say "There's a good chance this season ends with a Dodgers win" before anyone has played a game?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
dcaggie04
AG
redline248 said:

You SOB, now I'm gonna have to spend 20 minutes looking at photos of chicks in yoga pants

Gotta do whatever you can to get rid of that boner, huh.
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

So if I understand it, this wasn't MLB but Nike that decided to subcontract it out. I really can't believe Nike is letting this happen. It's their brand.

And who gave the contract to Nike? Who allowed subcontracting? Who didn't spec out the minimum requirements? Who didn't allowed proper quality audits and "testing" before hand? I'm sure there is plenty of blame to go around but ultimately MLB is responsible. I thought people were overreacting at first because people hate change. But nope, this is baaad.
redline248
AG
dcaggie04 said:

redline248 said:

Gotta do whatever you can to get rid of that boner, huh.
lol, nah
First Page Last Page
Page 246 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.