***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

928,360 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tjack16
AG
Shohei at #4?

That's ridiculous. He's #1 even with taking a year off of pitching.
bearkatag15
AG

Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

Shohei at #4?

Not for 2024. He's a DH.
bearkatag15
AG

How much longer will Snell go unsigned? This doesn't help his asking price any
bearkatag15
AG

I can't wait for next month to be here
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I am so ready to hear TK and Blum every night while watching the game!
astros4545
AG
8 is way too low...easily 5
Beat40
I think it's more ridiculous Julio Rodriguez is #10 over guys like Bryce Harper or Adley Rutschman.
Ags #1
AG
Cole plays once every 5 games?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I am so ready to hear TK and Blum every night while watching the game!

Saturday night they are calling the first spring training game
All I do is Nguyen
What bothers me the most is Judge is ahead of Ohtani. If I was building a team I would choose Ohtani over damn near everyone
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Proudag06
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

What bothers me the most is Judge is ahead of Ohtani. If I was building a team I would choose Ohtani over damn near everyone

This is this year as DH only. Not saying Ohtani at DH is still not over judge but it's a very different comparison than just Ohtani
All I do is Nguyen
EastCoastAgNc said:

How is it the Astros have a penchant to select players with mental health problems? First Obese Framber now Jake form Rake farm
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Having guys somewhat staggered this season could be a blessing in disguise. France threw a record # of innings last season and JV is old. If they start 2 weeks late, it could help keep them fresh long term. Adding McCullers & Garcia at the trade deadline is going to give us a boost midseason too. We might also get to see a rookie like Areighetti for a couple weeks until JV & France are 100%.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Interesting that we have heard/seen nothing on Abreu or Whitley...
Beat40
What service do yall use to post screenshots to Texags?

I have a couple of screenshots to post regarding Ohatni, but I never know what service to use.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Subscribers can upload images directly to texags. Aside from that, I've used imgur in the past
Farmer1906
AG
Same.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Interesting that we have heard/seen nothing on Abreu or Whitley...
We have some info.

https://www.fox26houston.com/video/1412600

https://www.mlb.com/astros/video/forrest-whitley-on-his-health-seeing-familiar-faces?partnerId=web_video-playback-page_video-share

[url=https://www.mlb.com/news/jose-abreu-ready-to-rebound-for-astros][/url]
https://www.mlb.com/news/jose-abreu-ready-to-rebound-for-astros

Quote:

"Last year, he really wanted to show what he was all about and he did that with his makeup and his toughness," Espada said. "I think we can protect him a little bit more by being smart about his workload and stuff like that. I think he's going to be productive and be a really good player for us this year."

In an effort to keep his back and the rest of his body healthy, Abreu said he took up Pilates in the offseason. He did it three times a week, and even jokingly recommended it to reporters.
"My agent was the guy who pushed me to go do it and I'm extremely grateful for him," Abreu said. "It's for the whole body."

A healthy Abreu will continue to carry a big workload this year, just like the slugger prefers. Abreu should see more at-bats at designated hitter, which will keep him off his feet a bit more. Last year, Abreu started 134 games at first base and seven at designated hitter.

"Obviously, [Espada] is the guy that gets to make those decisions," Abreu said. "For me, I'm in a good position and I would like to play first base. The most important thing is the team can win and if the team can win with me being [at DH], that's what we're willing to do."
Beat40
All I do is Nguyen said:

Judge and Ohtani are very, very similar offensive players.

It's the pitching that separates them. I will say that Ohtani has only been top 10 in pitcher's WAR once (in '22). Even if he pitched all of '23, he would have been we outside of top 10 for pitchers.

Not saying his not the best player in the league, but when you look at WAR alone, there are a lot of guys who are only doing one thing that are very close to him in WAR.
texasaggie2015
AG
It's a lot more common than you think. Especially in baseball.
Beat40
Proudag06 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

This is this year as DH only. Not saying Ohtani at DH is still not over judge but it's a very different comparison than just Ohtani

I think Jude and Ohtani are very comparable as hitters.
Beat40
texasaggie2015 said:

Honestly, the mental aspect of the game is so much larger in professional baseball. For a guy like Jake, who gets these limited shots to prove himself, he needs to be as mentally sharp as he can.

If it takes a professional to help him keep his mentals in good shape, good for him for recognizing it.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I should have been more specific, I meant pitching abreu, not hitting abreu. I was more referring to seeing them in action rather than then talking
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I should have been more specific, I meant pitching abreu, not hitting abreu. I was more referring to seeing them in action rather than then talking

I got you.

Farmer1906
AG
All I do is Nguyen
texasaggie2015 said:

I guess because it's not widely publicized that's why it seems to rare. I hope they all get the help they need
Beat40
tjack16 said:

Shohei at #4?

Ok, I understand what Ohtani is doing is amazing. Supremely talented baseball player. He's great at both hitting and pitching.

My hot take, if you will, is that Ohtani is a top 5 player in baseball, but not the clear cut #1.

Below are the WAR lists from 2021, 2022, and 2023, his All-Star seasons. In '21, he doesn't crack top 10 in either batting or pitching WAR. In '22, he cracks top 10 in pitching WAR. In '23 he cracks top 5 in batting WAR. He as injured in '23, but based where he was at in '23, he wouldn't have cracked top 10 in pitching WAR.

Look, he ends up top 1 or 2 in WAR in '21-'23, which means he's doing both at a high level. My main point is there are a lot of guys doing it one way only who are keeping it close in WAR to the guy doing two things. Ohtani is incredible, and I enjoy watching him play. I just don't think he's the clear cut #1.

I have no problem with him at #4, especially in a year he isn't pitching.

Ag_07
AG
I've always thought that baseball has to be especially tough mentally given that a 30% success rate is elite.
W
AG
Ohtani was very good on the mound last year...but he wasn't outstanding

season ERA was 3.14

only started 23 games

he was much better in 2022...2.33 ERA and 28 starts
W
AG
someone remind Jake the major league minimum salary is $700,000

he will be okay
First Page Last Page
Page 245 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.