***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

928,369 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
scrimp
AG
What is up with Biggio's pose?..... I can only imagine the cringe factor whenever he sees this....
EastCoastAgNc
AG
RED AG 98
AG
And make the moderators user name known. Not just someone hidden in anonymity. (I don't mean real name per se, just user name)
cc10106
He redeemed himself with the cutoff shirt.
Farmer1906
AG
There is a little Snell to NYY smoke. And it got me thinking... what would it cost NY?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/yankees-have-offer-out-to-blake-snell.html

If the Yankees signed him to 6/150 (rumored previous offer)

Current CBT Payroll - $306,921,667

237 - 50% (3x over)
257 - 12%
277 - 45%
297 - 60%

Current Tax Bill - 27.35 M

Tax Bill with Snell ($30 M) - 45.35 M

Snell would cost just under 50 M for 2024 and it would bring their CBT Payroll + Tax Bill to 382 M. I have a very hard believing they'll go to that level. Only the 2023 Mets were higher.
3B Paul 97
AG
Interesting prospect the Stros grabbed from the Dodgers. Could he be placed on the 40 man?

6 foot 7. Increasing strikeout rates while decreasing HR balls and walks the last couple of years.

https://climbingtalshill.com/posts/astros-steal-promising-reliever-from-dodgers-for-next-to-nothing-01hq3hk1tvsy
Ag_07
AG
Well if it's anything like the last time we got a prospect from the Dodgers for next to nothing it's gonna work out pretty well.
Texaggie7nine
So happy to have had the past 6 years and likely several more to come of not having to live this reality.

7nine
AggiEE
cc10106 said:

He redeemed himself with the cutoff shirt.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
W
AG
oh, where's that article from a while back that said the clubhouse would miss its departed veteran leaders
Taxman90
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Seeing this signing makes me think we may still be able to add some depth in the OF at a big discount. Rosario is flawed but has probably been an average player and when you account for his speed maybe slightly above average.

Farmer1906
AG
Fangraphs: gut-feel guys we think can make the 2025 Top 100

Here are the Astros mentioned in the article. Not very many.

Quote:

Black Box Arms (All EL)
Alonzo Tredwell, RHP, Houston Astros

These are all pitchers from the last couple of drafts who haven't yet thrown at an affiliate. A few of them threw during instructs. This piece is more "predicting" than "scouting," and basically every pitcher I've chosen here comes from an org that has demonstrated that it's capable of teasing good things out of its pitching.

Tredwell (UCLA) and Baumesiter (Florida State) were second round picks with vertically oriented fastball/breaking ball combos. Neither developed exceptional velocity in college, but they could break out if they do so as pros.

Quote:

Weirdos
Brice Matthews, SS, Houston Astros (EL)

Like Groover, Matthews was a divisive 2023 college prospect (Nebraska). He's incredibly athletic and toolsy, has amazing bat speed, and makes the occasionally impossible defensive play, but he's also super raw in basically every facet of baseball. His special physical gifts give him a sizable ceiling.
Farmer1906
AG
Identifying the nastiest pitch for every team

Can you guess who they selected for the Astros? Also as Honorable Mention.

Astros: Josh Hader's sinker

Hader throws his fastball nearly three quarters of the time and hitters still can't touch it. No reliever has more fastball K's than Hader's 454 since he came into the league in 2017.

Honorable mention: Ryan Pressly's curveball

n_touch
Farmer1906 said:

Hader throws his fastball nearly three quarters of the time and hitters still can't touch it. No reliever has more fastball K's than Hader's 454 since he came into the league in 2017.

They should have put up LMJ curveball. Not many batters have done anything with it in the last couple years.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Marvin
AG
n_touch said:

Farmer1906 said:

They should have put up LMJ curveball. Not many batters have done anything with it in the last couple years.

I hope Framber's sinker makes a run for the top spot this year.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
Woof, I only needed about 13 but maybe I'm just baseball deprived
iBrad
AG
Watching our pitchers face our hitters is like watching the spring game for the Aggies.
Bonnettecj1
It amazes me how short JV's stride is.
Beau Holder
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

It's ok, sometimes you have to build up your endurance for an activity...so I've been told
EastCoastAgNc
AG

bearkatag15
AG

"Altuve and Alvarez will be the face of it. They are Houston's only two position players on guaranteed contracts through the 2028 season, a commitment that carries leadership responsibilities far beyond the field."

That's a scary thought
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

"Altuve and Alvarez will be the face of it. They are Houston's only two position players on guaranteed contracts through the 2028 season, a commitment that carries leadership responsibilities far beyond the field."

That's a scary thought
1. That is 5 years away. Most teams don't have guys locked in that long.
2. Hader is there in 2028 too. Brown and Diaz as well assuming we don't cut them.
3. This assumes we don't extend McCullers, Pressly, Valdez, Tucker, Urquidy, Dubon, McCormick, Garcia, Abreu, Pena, & Meyers.

Wabs
AG
Meh. You could make a "crossroads is coming" case for every MLB team.
AustinCountyAg
Chandler the chode is correct, but just because we don't have many guys "under contract" that long, it doesn't mean we don't have them under team control.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
To be fair the pitching staff was kind of at a crossroads before 2020. JV was hurt in spring training and needed surgery, Cole had just left, LMJ was coming off Tommy John, Grienke was the reluctant ace, and Framber had yet to become Framber. However, they managed to power through and succeeded. I do think having a shortened season helped soften the blow a lot. As bad as that 60 game stretch was, imagine entering 162 games of that and missing the playoffs.
Farmer1906
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Chandler the chode is correct, but just because we don't have many guys "under contract" that long, it doesn't mean we don't have them under team control.
Hader and Yordan are both FA after 2028. Altuve after 2029. That's not under control. That's under contract.

That is also why I said if we don't cut the other two. They aren't under contract until they agree to arbitrtion those particular seasons. Unless we DFA or trade them, they will be.

Chandler is being a drama queen by the looks of it. I haven't read it yet. Outside of Atlanta & LA, who else has 3 impactful players locked up until 2028?

Farmer1906
AG
Soon

tjack16
AG
Position players Locked in through at least 2026
Altuve
Alvarez
McCormick
Pena
Diaz

That's not terrible for a lineup. Obviously you need more but that's a good start.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Eso si, Que es
Marvin said:

n_touch said:

Farmer1906 said:

I hope Framber's sinker makes a run for the top spot this year.

Or Javier's invisiball

Gratuitous "Why not both!!!"
First Page Last Page
Page 244 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.