***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

935,252 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
07ag
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

linkdude said:

The 34th pick would seem to be a compensatory pick, I guess those can be traded now?
Wait...you can't trade draft picks...did they make a new rule?

Only compensatory picks, and since about 10 years ago,, doesn't happen much though
https://ts.la/eric59704
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beat40
07ag said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

linkdude said:

The 34th pick would seem to be a compensatory pick, I guess those can be traded now?
Wait...you can't trade draft picks...did they make a new rule?

Only compensatory picks, and since about 10 years ago,, doesn't happen much though

I love it. They need to make trading draft picks legal in the MLB. No reason not to. If a team wants to trade itself out of a round of picks, that's their prerogative.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15
AG

Hell of a get for the Orioles
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Overall he's done a fantastic job. No doubt. But he did not deserve that award in 2023. He failed to acquire impactful pitching that could have been the difference in a DS exit and a WS. How different would things have gone if they gotten Verlander or Monty? They might be trying to repeat.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Shocked Hader missed the top 10.

Like usual, Mike's list is probably a little better.

AggieLong
AG
All I do is Nguyen
Have any of you bought the new Nike Limited jerseys? How do they fit compared to last years?
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
AustinCountyAg
Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Overall he's done a fantastic job. No doubt. But he did not deserve that award in 2023. He failed to acquire impactful pitching that could have been the difference in a DS exit and a WS. How different would things have gone if they gotten Verlander or Monty? They might be trying to repeat.
maybe he was saving his ammo for this year and next. not wanting to jump the gun with the team knowing they are only going to get better?
Farmer1906
AG
I guess but they've gotten such a deep farm system, he could have made a deal without noticing. Look how cheaply Burnes came. They called up Adley, Gunner, Westburg, and still have 6 top 100s, including #1 overall.
Beat40
AustinCountyAg said:

Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

maybe he was saving his ammo for this year and next. not wanting to jump the gun with the team knowing they are only going to get better?
I agree with Farmer - the won 101 games last year. Sure, they are going to get better, but 101 wins means you're primed for a run and one piece can help you make that push. They could have gotten Monty fairly cheaply last year. That might have been enough to push them past the ALDS and then who knows beyond that.

Plus, why completely save up when injuries could happen this year to key players?

Then, could have resigned Monty and still gotten Burnes for cheap.

He's done an awesome job, but I think he missed an opportunity last year to set them up for this year and the next few.
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I guess but they've gotten such a deep farm system, he could have made a deal without noticing. Look how cheaply Burnes came. They called up Adley, Gunner, Westburg, and still have 6 top 100s, including #1 overall.

Yeah, the O's are set to make a run and are a fun team to watch.
Mathguy64
AG
Bautista being out at the end of the season for TJ hurt them.
texasaggie2015
AG
They're a really fun team. Also a fantastic ballpark that I recommend anyone who hasn't been to go check out.
All I do is Nguyen
Agreed. Camden Yards is really nice. The Chesapeake fries (Waffle fries with crab dip on top) are the best thing they sell
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Beat40
texasaggie2015 said:

They're a really fun team. Also a fantastic ballpark that I recommend anyone who hasn't been to go check out.
I'd really like to get to Camden Yards sometime.
JDUB08AG
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Finally got to go last year. I love Minute Maid, but Camden blows it out of the water. Best place I've ever watched a game.
Farmer1906
AG
Beat40 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I'd really like to get to Camden Yards sometime.

+1 on loving Camden.
texasaggie2015
AG
Pickles Pub across the street... I had one too many in there after the game. Fun little spot.
linkdude
AG
Pour one out for Kenny G.
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
JDUB08AG said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Finally got to go last year. I love Minute Maid, but Camden blows it out of the water. Best place I've ever watched a game.
I really enjoyed the Tigers stadium. Easy to walk the entire thing. Old school feel to it and good sight lines throughout. I believe centerfield batters eye is the only obstructed view of the field while walking the concourse.

That was a feature I liked about the Marlins stadium also. Minute made when you on the concourse you don't still feel connected to what's going on in the game.
Ags #1
AG
Isnt this one big reason brown was hire? To rebuild the farm system?
CFTXAG10
AG
Our annual Astros road trip is booked for Fenway August 9th-11th. Never been personally, can't wait.
bearkatag15
AG
Ags #1 said:

The trade for JV put a dent in an already weak farm system. Probably would be ranked a bit higher if we didn't have to do that move.
Farmer1906
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Our annual Astros road trip is booked for Fenway August 9th-11th. Never been personally, can't wait.

That place is special. So much baseball history. Great environment (usually).

Ags #1 said:

Yup. They put huge emphasis on scouting. Luhnow's non scouting scouting seemed to work just fine.
Beat40
Ags #1 said:

If your post is meant as a criticsim, please read the below. If not, please accept my sincere apology as I read your post as a criticism.

He's been the GM for 1 year. He's had 1 draft.

How do you expect him to add to the farm system and improve it in 1 year? Trade away MLB players for minor leaguers and for sure close the window?

I hope you seriously aren't criticizing a guy who's only been GM for one year, had 1 draft, and still has to make trades to keep a competitive team in the WS hunt the next 2 years.
Ags #1
AG
lol was meant as a question? Like he has done well at that in the ATL so is one of his main goals to build ours back up to a top 10-15 type system. Thought I remember ketch saying that is one of the main reasons we went with brown , so was more just looking for confirmation
Terminus Est
Farmer1906 said:

I wonder what they're going to have to give him for an extension. 7 years/ 300+?
W
AG
it will be interesting to see how the Orioles do in 2024

won 101 games during the 2023 regular season, but rolled over in the ALDS. Getting swept was bad.

digging deeper into Baltimore's 2023 season results...

the Orioles' pythagorean win total was only 94

Baltimore was 30-16 in 1-run games...and 11-6 in extras

feasted on the A's, Tigers, Royals, Mets, Angels, etc..,

biggest accomplishment was dominating the Blue Jays --- won 10 of 13 games

went 3-3 vs. the Astros and 3-3 vs. the Rangers --- perhaps an indication the O's would have trouble in the playoffs
Beat40
Ags #1 said:

lol was meant as a question? Like he has done well at that in the ATL so is one of his main goals to build ours back up to a top 10-15 type system. Thought I remember ketch saying that is one of the main reasons we went with brown , so was more just looking for confirmation
I got you. Feel like this board has been negative for a while, so I view it in that slant more often than not. My apologies.

Yeah, that's what I remember the reason he was hired, to build the farm system back up.
texasaggie2015
AG
Trying to decide what trip I want to make this year. I thought about Chicago in April... but Chicago in April can be a little sketchy with the weather. Considering San Diego in September as well.
First Page Last Page
Page 210 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.