***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

937,165 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
Taxman90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Mathguy64 said:

Signing Hader and dumping Pressly to the 8th sounds like a recipe for a clubhouse issue.

to a point yes. But we also don't know what conversations (if any) Ryan has had with the Astros. He's 35. He's thrown A LOT past three years, including being hurt in 2022. Maybe he knows his career as an elite closer is on the tail end and he'd accept throwing the 8th if it meant having an ELITE 7-8-9 and upping the chances of winning another world series before his career is over.

This is a good point. Pressly is 35 and in two years will not be getting a big contract like he has now even if he keeps playing. Saves on his ledger may not matter to him for future dollars although save numbers are important to a closers legacy and that may matter to him.
cc10106
I seem to recall Ryan having to pitch multiple innings last year too often. He seems like an awesome teammate/leader who only cares about winning and would gladly welcome Hader.

Plus you would still have two closer options if needed for the postseason.
texasaggie2015
AG
Pressly was one of the veteran guys I mentioned who was unhappy with the way the club was managed last year.. FWIW
07ag
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Pressly was one of the veteran guys I mentioned who was unhappy with the way the club was managed last year.. FWIW
missed that post, who else was unhappy?
https://ts.la/eric59704
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I knew he was a smart guy.
Mathguy64
AG
07ag said:

texasaggie2015 said:

missed that post, who else was unhappy?

Probably a shorter list on the "happy" side of the sheet.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

On this day on baseball history...
Farmer1906
AG

I'm going to have the bluest balls if this doesn't happen now.
Farmer1906
AG
I have no idea if this is true but I'm choosing to believe it. Hader will be better at the Juicebox.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
If that's true, then he wouldn't fare well in Yankee stadium or the propane grill in Arlington
SeanDaAg2005
AG
Isn't he saying Hader would be worse at Minute Maid?
Farmer1906
AG
You're right. I read it wrong.
Farmer1906
AG
TarponChaser
EastCoastAgNc said:

On this day on baseball history...

The high point of my baseball career was facing Kerry Wood in summer ball in 1994. He struck me out on 3 pitches. The first two were fastballs that I heard but didn't really see to go down 0-2. I decided there was no chance I was going down looking so I got loaded up to swing super early and he pulled the string on a change-up that had me looking like all 3 of those palookas I was so far out in front.

This was the summer between our junior & senior years of HS. I'm 6'3" and was about 255-260 but Wood was like 6'5" 215-220# and throwing 97.

Good thing I was better at football.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Unfortunately he blew out his shoulder signing autographs and is done for the year (I'm assuming)
SECcess12
lol you almost had me with the first part of that sentence. I was like figures.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Unfortunately he blew out his shoulder signing autographs and is done for the year (I'm assuming)
I wouldn't write this off too soon. Whitley has some nasty stuff. There is a reason he was so highly thought of for so long.
AggiEE
I'll be disappointed now if we don't get Hader
Buck Compton
AG
If we get Hader, just look at it like this: Dotel, Lidge, Wagner.

And honestly, just do away with traditional roles. Last year the Astros needed 546 innings from their bullpen (about 3.1 per game as starters went 5.2 on average).

Between Abreu, Press, and Hader that gives you 180 of this innings. Assume Montero gives you another 60. If you go the more tandem route in the back half of the season it fills a lot of that gap, too.
Farmer1906
AG
Imagine it's game 7 of the WS. A depleted JV on short rest can only get you 4 innings. It's a one to zero game and we need 15 more outs. Abreu, Pressly, & Hader are lined up. How good are you feeling? Because having that kind of filth and unhittability (I made that up) ready to fire is a championship changer.
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Imagine it's game 7 of the WS. A depleted JV on short rest can only get you 4 innings. It's a one to zero game and we need 15 more outs. Abreu, Pressly, & Hader are lined up. How good are you feeling? Because having that kind of filth and unhittability (I made that up) ready to fire is a championship changer.

Hader only gets you 3 outs. He's made it clear he won't go longer
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Hader only gets you 3 outs. He's made it clear he won't go longer

Not true. He did it in the 20 and 22 postseason.

He made it clear he's not going extra in a contract year when your 10 games out of the WC with 11 to play.
Buck Compton
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Yep. Use one of our other starters if possible or throw Luis or Lance to fill two innings, then that gets you at least 7/8/9. Possible that Abreu and Press could combine to get 3 for you instead of 2. Also allows you to pitch your best arms against the heart of their order early because you have more in the tank.
Farmer1906
AG
Watching Foul Territory now. Ken says the Astros doing this is out of character. The org is at an interesting play. A state of transition is coming and thinks the Astros are "going for it now". This is speculation, not info from Crane. Wonders why it's Hader and not someone else like Snell. Confirms it as he wrote it (with Chandler) Astros ARE pushing. Doesn't think it's a ploy at all. Not playing games with say Neris. Hader would be the anchor of the bullpen for the next several years. Crane has a in play owner and likes his own ideas.
AustinCountyAg
Farmer1906 said:

Watching Foul Territory now. Ken says the Astros doing this is out of character. The org is at an interesting play. A state of transition is coming and thinks the Astros are "going for it now". This is speculation, not info from Crane. Wonders why it's Hader and not someone else like Snell. Confirms it as he wrote it (with Chandler) Astros ARE pushing. Doesn't think it's a ploy at all. Not playing games with say Neris. Hader would be the anchor of the bullpen for the next several years. Crane has a in play owner and likes his own ideas.
to be fair I like it too. If he (crane) already knows he's going to let Tuck and Bregs walk, might as well spend the money now to lock up your closer roll for the next few years and go for it this last year with all your pieces in place.
bearkatag15
AG
Lets gooooo
YNWA_AG
AG
Hader szn
texasaggie2015
AG
Ladies and gentlemen..............

We got him.
BMX Bandit
Haders gonna hade hade hade
CFTXAG10
AG
LFG
bearkatag15
AG
gambochaman
AG
19milly per year holy sheet

Lfg
Mr.Bond
AG
L
F
G
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

First Page Last Page
Page 182 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.