***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

937,725 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It was past his bedtime
EastCoastAgNc
AG
In terms of crazy minor league team promotions, this one takes the cake. The story of how a Rays minor league affiliate tried to host a Vasectomy raffle on Father's Day weekend in 1997

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/minor_leagues/the-riverdogs-vasectomy-night-an-oral-history-of-the-zaniest-sports-promotion/article_df5c6708-7773-11ea-90bb-272edd803ec1.html

Quote:

The official Vasectomy Night media release, faxed to outlets early in the afternoon on June 5, 1997, was headlined "RiverDogs to Give Away Vasectomy." One willing fan, "who doesn't plan on having children or who does not wish to have any more" was to win a free surgery to be performed by an MUSC urologist. The winner would be drawn from entry forms filled out by interested males entering Riley Park for a Friday night Father's Day weekend game against the Charleston (W. Va.) Alley Cats
Sea Speed
AG
I saw Bill Murray at a river dogs game like 3 feet away as he was walking to the field to lay on the grass for the fireworks with a couple players.
Ag4life80
AG
Houston is looked down upon by the self proclaimed blue bloods. Look at the east coast commissioner's actions. When the facts show their favored teams cheated, he gaslights and redirects to the Astros. It's what they do, and they do it with great sanctimony.
Farmer1906
AG

Sunday dump from Nightengale.

Cy Young winner Blake Snell continues to seek a contract that will pay him at least $240 million, and now awaits to see what team blinks first. The New York Yankees made an introductory offer for nearly $100 million less, which was quickly dismissed, before they turned to Marcus Stroman to fill their vacancy with a two-year, $37 million deal.

While several teams still remain engaged with Snell while seeing if his price-tag drops, the Toronto Blue Jays in particular have been quietly monitoring his free agency.

The Yankees had no serious interest in Stroman until GM Brian Cashman privately met with Stroman in Tampa this past week and became convinced that he'd be a good fit. It should be the last big move the Yankees make the rest of the winter with their payroll projected to exceed $300 million.

The Chicago White Sox's asking price for ace Dylan Cease remains awfully strong: They are seeking prized Yankees outfield prospect Spencer Jones or right-handed pitcher Chase Hampton in their package while asking the Baltimore Orioles for outfielder Colton Cowser or Heston Kjerstad among their prospects

Six-time All-Star first baseman Joey Votto, who was cut loose by the Cincinnati Reds, has three teams who want to sign him to a one-year deal for 2024. The Blue Jays and Milwaukee Brewers would each appear to be good fits. Votto is seeking regular playing time.

If Cody Bellinger does not wind up back with the Chicago Cubs, the Blue Jays and Seattle Mariners are lurking.

The San Diego Padres continue to shop valuable infielder Ha-Seong Kim, who earns $8 million in the final year of his contract, in their attempt to land pitching.

The free agency for Josh Hader continues to be eerily quiet, with several GMs predicting that little will change unless his price-tag drops below five years and $100 million.

GMs and executives widely predict that the Cubs will easily be the most aggressive team the remainder of the winter.

Stop the rumors now. The New York Mets are not involved in trade talks with the Chicago White Sox. Why in the world would they give up prized prospects when they're gearing up for 2025.

It's hard to imagine seeing free-agent third baseman Matt Chapman anywhere but the San Francisco Giants or possibly the Chicago Cubs.

Teams still are waiting for his asking price to drop after he hit just .240 with 17 homers last season, and badly struggled after April, hitting just .205 with a .659 OPS.

The Mets are poised to do what the Dodgers did this winter by reaching deep into their wallets a year from now with $70 million coming off their books in dead contracts to Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander and James McCann.

Pardon the Mets for hoping that Verlander doesn't pitch 140 innings this season for the Astros, which would trigger a $35 million option that vests in 2025. And if it vests, the Mets will have to pay half of the contract at $17.5 million.

Jordan Montgomery is widely expected to re-sign with the Texas Rangers, but if there was any doubt, Arlington-based Hurtado Barbecue is making sure it will happen.

They have offered Montgomery free barbecue for the rest of his life.

Monty to the Rangers helps them out in a huge way. Would they ink a 4th player to a 150+ in the last 3 offseason? Thats a lot of money committed to pitching.
tjack16
AG

Recently I'd say Greinke (2.5 seasons) and Brian McCann (2 seasons) are my favorite brief stint Astros.
superaggie73
AG
tjack16 said:

Recently I'd say Greinke (2.5 seasons) and Brian McCann (2 seasons) are my favorite brief stint Astros.

Does Blum count?
Mr.Bond
AG
tjack16 said:

He seems dewshy but Gerrit Cole for sure
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

tjack16
AG
Yeah Cole too for sure. You could argue he should have won the 19 cy young over JV.
Project Gemini
AG
Zack Greinke fascinated me the few times I got to see him in person. There was a level of craft and gamesmanship I have never witnessed in another athlete before when he worked. His mannerisms and routine are unmatched among the other great pitchers I've been lucky enough to see. Pedro Martinez is the only other guy I can think of in that same category.
tjack16
AG

The curse is alive
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Keep his sorry ass away from the Texans
jkag89
tjack16 said:

The curse is alive
One has to wonder how many of our fellow Aggies on the Arlington thread would have traded the World Series for a Cowboys Super Bowl. This particular Cowboy fan would have but then again I would live with the Pokes going 0-17 for another 'Stros WS Championship.
mAgnoliAg
AG
tjack16
AG
jkag89 said:

tjack16 said:

The curse is alive
One has to wonder how many of our fellow Aggies on the Arlington thread would have traded the World Series for a Cowboys Super Bowl. This particular Cowboy fan would have but then again I would live with the Pokes going 0-17 for another 'Stros WS Championship.

My dad and uncle are die hard Rangers/Cowboys fans and I know 100% they would trade the rangers WS for a cowboys Super Bowl.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Marvin
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

In terms of crazy minor league team promotions, this one takes the cake. The story of how a Rays minor league affiliate tried to host a Vasectomy raffle on Father's Day weekend in 1997

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/minor_leagues/the-riverdogs-vasectomy-night-an-oral-history-of-the-zaniest-sports-promotion/article_df5c6708-7773-11ea-90bb-272edd803ec1.html

Quote:

The official Vasectomy Night media release, faxed to outlets early in the afternoon on June 5, 1997, was headlined "RiverDogs to Give Away Vasectomy." One willing fan, "who doesn't plan on having children or who does not wish to have any more" was to win a free surgery to be performed by an MUSC urologist. The winner would be drawn from entry forms filled out by interested males entering Riley Park for a Friday night Father's Day weekend game against the Charleston (W. Va.) Alley Cats

So they nipped that one in the bud?

Or not, haha…
Texaggie7nine
Farmer1906 said:

King Tuck has a Queen.

Surprised Breggy isn't there. Figured they were close.
7nine
Ag_07
AG
Bregs says 'Sorry Tuck...I got a contract year I'm prepping for so I'll just send a case salsa'
Farmer1906
AG
Yall stay defrosted today. Don't do anything stupid on the roads.

Also…let's sign some new players.

I think we're in on OF Luis Rives & Cesar Yanquiel Hernandez. Both on the older side and both from Cuba. Maybe Ketch has some of names to add.

tjack16
AG
linkdude
AG
Off work today due to the winter storm, but the Stros are remote signing, lol
Mathguy64
AG
Cuban U18 player. So he's really 22 with bad knees?
Ag_07
AG
What crack me up is that he's making the rounds at all these LA sporting events like he's a newcomer to LA.

Like he hasn't been playing and living there the past 6 years.
OKCAg2002
AG
tjack16 said:

Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte were those guys from the 2000s. Now, we kind of pretend those books don't exist.
All I do is Nguyen
Now that football season is over for me, I know laugh it up at the cowboys, I'm so ready for baseball season.

Still rooting for the Texans and lions!
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Farmer1906
AG
Team Cuba

tjack16
AG
AgLA06
AG
That and the strong South America connection can help fill the farm system pipeline quickly.
tjack16
AG
AgLA06 said:

That and the strong South America connection can help fill the farm system pipeline quickly.

I mean that's how we got Framber, Javier, Yuli, Urquidy and Garcia. I'm sure I'm missing some more but IMO that's why I'm not as worried about farm system rankings… as long as we kill it in the international signings like we did from 2016-2020
AgLA06
AG
tjack16 said:

AgLA06 said:

I mean that's how we got Framber, Javier, Yuli, Urquidy and Garcia. I'm sure I'm missing some more but IMO that's why I'm not as worried about farm system rankings… as long as we kill it in the international signings like we did from 2016-2020

Agreed. And I'm sure it's not statistical, but I feel they have a higher hit ratio.
Farmer1906
AG
We did kind of lose to golden goose who identified a lot of our top Latin prospects. Everyone else is signing these guys too.
Farmer1906
AG
Ocampo's class

Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 174 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.