***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

937,908 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
linkdude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm guessing a big nothing burger drummed up by Bauer's rep...
cc10106
It almost makes too much sense in some ways.
Farmer1906
AG
Looking at the rest of his Bauer tweets, it's probably 1000% fake.

iBrad
AG
Beater and cheaters!
texasaggie2015
AG
I can't rule it out because I haven't been told it won't happen but I would be very, very surprised.
cc10106
Well the Astros got "cancelled" a long time ago.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I can't rule it out because I haven't been told it won't happen but I would be very, very surprised.

I think anyone is talking to Bauer until all of his cases are settled.
Post removed:
by user
Farmer1906
AG
Bregxit said:

Farmer1906 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I think anyone is talking to Bauer until all of his cases are settled.

What is still pending?

At least one civil suit. He referenced it in the apology tour he went on. He settled with no pay on the big one. The allegations in the paper were never more than that. No criminal ones ever came.
Post removed:
by user
tjack16
AG
So if we sign him and one of those pending cases doesn't go his way… what then?

It's too risky. Plus I'm not a fan of how he trashed our organization
Post removed:
by user
bearkatag15
AG

We definitely weren't going 4 years
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Mr.Bond
AG
At, least it's not NY.....
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Farmer1906
AG
Too rich for us.
Post removed:
by user
Farmer1906
AG
I kind of doubt it. 44 M is the 18th richest relief pitcher contract of all time and 4th active. That assumes Robert Suarez isn't starting/swing man.

For context, Montero is 5th active. *barf*

Edit: I see the starter reference now. Very strange. Makes the money make more sense now. Good for him, but he's going to have to develop more pitches. By the end of last season he was a 2 pitch pitcher.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
At least it's not the Yankees
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07
AG
ID*** about Bauer and his cases (he was railroaded) or his trash talking of the Astros. None of that matter to me

I don't want him because A) he's had issues everywhere he goes and B) he hasn't even been that good.
tjack16
AG
Wish we would have gotten Hicks… but 4 years is one too many for me.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07
AG
Pretty crazy that our entire starting OF of Tuck, Chas, and Meyers are making combined like what $15mm next year yet we don't have much room under the CBT.

Do we really have that many bloated contracts?
tjack16
AG
McCullers as a 2024 bullpen option sounds better each day. Our pen is going to be rough this year if our starters don't stay healthy and they get taxed like last year
AggieJ2002
AG
Never felt we had any real shot at Hicks, and while it's a disappointing offseason, I am really going to hope that we can get Montero to revert back to 2022 form. He could end up being the difference on the season. If he doesn't, we are absolutely going to have to make a move to pick someone up in-season.

The best part of the Texans being good and making the playoffs this year is that it occupies my mind for a bit. By the time the Texans season is over, it will be so exciting to know how close we are to baseball season. I cannot freaking way.
cc10106
Altuve
Bregman
Verlander
McCullers
Pressly
J. Abreu
Montero
(Greinke)

tjack16
AG
Ag_07 said:

Pretty crazy that our entire starting OF of Tuck, Chas, and Meyers are making combined like what $15mm next year yet we don't have much room under the CBT.

Do we really have that many bloated contracts?

Four guys making 3.75-8 M,
7 guys making 10.3-19.5M each, and 3 guys making 22M+

Also paying Greinke 12.5M
iBrad
AG
The ones hurting us are obviously Montero's $11.5M and McCuller's $17M, as we either aren't getting any production at all would arguably be better off if we weren't getting production.

When you consider the bullpen trio of Pressley ($14.5M), Montero ($11.5M), and Graveman ($8M), is that the best use of $34M? If Lance winds up in the bullpen, that becomes a rather expensive bullpen.
Farmer1906
AG
Add Abreu to that mix based on his 23 production.

That is almost 50 M is bad contracts per year. We're paying Bregman, Altuve, Javier, & Verlander big money.

Tucker, Alvarez, Framber, Chas, Abreu, & Pena are the only guys we have on the cheap compared to their production.
Post removed:
by user
AustinCountyAg
bring him home
EastCoastAgNc
AG
If we are really barely under the CBT now, I don't think we sign anybody else. I think they try and piece it together and wait until the deadline to take on salary. I don't like that approach since we really have nothing in the farm system to trade and get talent. Any additions should happen more, but I just don't see it.
Farmer1906
AG
But taking on basically anyone at the deadline puts us over.
tjack16
AG
If we get 2nd half Abreu and Montero then I think those contracts will be worth it. But they need to stay on that trajectory
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

But taking on basically anyone at the deadline puts us over.

Yeah but that's been the pattern of what Crane is willing to do. Start cheap, go over later if it's worth it. It just puts an extra drain on the farm system to go that way.
First Page Last Page
Page 172 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.