***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

928,326 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
agproducer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I was talking to the same buddy I mentioned above about some of the most underrated players in the last 20 years or so. We both agreed Bobby Abreu might be that guy.

I also think Carlos Delgado didn't get enough love. He kinda got lost in the shuffle of all those heavy hitting first basemen... but the guy was really, really good.
He was! He hit for average, had decent power and we was sneaky fast.
agproducer
AG
Worst Astros trades:

Joe Morgan
Kenny Lofton
Miguel Tejada -- we didn't give up much in major league talent, but it severely damaged a weakened farm system
texasaggie2015
AG
Forgot about Kenny Lofton. He was one of my favorite players growing up.
Mr.Bond
AG
Curt Schilling
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Bassmaster
AG
Ag_07 said:

Larry Anderson for Jeff Bagwell has to be candidate for one of the worst MLB trades
Here is a Larry Andersen story. My brother attended some baseball camp in the late '80's that was somehow affiliated with the Astros. It was at the same complex where many of the scenes in the Bad News Bears - Breaking Training was filmed. Each day, a player or two would come by to sign autographs. Larry Andersen shows up one day and the only person who had anything to write with was my brother. He had a lot of autographs left to sign, so Larry Andersen asked my mom where we were staying and told her he would bring my brother (and his pen) along with his buddy back to our hotel when they were done. My mom, in her infinite wisdom, thought that sounded like a good plan. About an hour later, Larry Andersen comes cruising up in his little red sports car with my brother and his buddy in tow. My brother was some kind of pissed when the 'Stros traded him.
Jackal99
AG
Bassmaster said:

Ag_07 said:

Larry Anderson for Jeff Bagwell has to be candidate for one of the worst MLB trades
Here is a Larry Andersen story. My brother attended some baseball camp in the late '80's that was somehow affiliated with the Astros. It was at the same complex where many of the scenes in the Bad News Bears - Breaking Training was filmed. Each day, a player or two would come by to sign autographs. Larry Andersen shows up one day and the only person who had anything to write with was my brother. He had a lot of autographs left to sign, so Larry Andersen asked my mom where we were staying and told her he would bring my brother (and his pen) along with his buddy back to our hotel when they were done. My mom, in her infinite wisdom, thought that sounded like a good plan. About an hour later, Larry Andersen comes cruising up in his little red sports car with my brother and his buddy in tow. My brother was some kind of pissed when the 'Stros traded him.
Awesome! A throwback Astros story that isn't told by Porkchop.

But why didn't they just give him the pen?
The Porkchop Express
AG
I liked how during the 90s and 00s we did trades with the Tigers and 1 with the Padres where we traded like 60 guys back and forth.

Dec 28 1994 - traded Ken Caminiti(IF), Andujar Cedeno(IF), Steve Finley(OF), Roberto Petagine(IF), Brian Williams(P) and Sean Fesh(P) to SD-N for Derek Bell(OF), Doug Brocail(P), Ricky Gutierrez(IF), Pedro Martinez(P), Phil Plantier(OF), and Craig Shipley(IF).

Jan 14 1999 - traded Brad Ausmus(C) and CJ Nitkowski(P) to Det-A for Paul Bako(C), Dean Crow(P), Mark Persails(P), Brian Powell(P), and Carlos Villalobos(IF)

Dec 11 2000 - traded Mitch Meluskey(C), Roger Cedeno(OF) and Chris Holt(P) to Det-A for Brad Ausmus(C), Doug Brocail(P), and Nelson Cruz(P)
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
The Porkchop Express
AG
The 8 best franchise trades according to Astros Daily:

Oct 24 1974 - paid cash to StL-N for Jose Cruz(OF)

Apr 6 1975 - paid $35,000 to Atl-N for Joe Niekro(P)

Apr 1 1981 - traded Ken Forsch(P) to Cal-A for Dickie Thon(IF)

Aug 30 1982 - traded Don Sutton(P) to Mil-A for Kevin Bass(OF), Frank DiPino(P), Mike Madden(P), and cash. Hou received Bass, DiPino and Madden on Sep 3

Dec 10 1982 - traded Danny Heep(IF) to NY-N for Mike Scott(P)

Aug 30 1990 - traded Larry Andersen(P) to Bos-A for Jeff Bagwell(IF)

Dec 10 1993 - traded Eric Anthony(OF) to Sea-A for Mike Felder(OF) and Mike Hampton(P)

Nov 11 1997 - traded Oscar Henriquez(P), Manuel Barrios(P), and Mark Johnson(P) to Fla-N for Moises Alou(OF). Fla-N received Johnson on Dec 16.
Bassmaster
AG
That would make too much sense is all I can guess.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Anybody with a subscription want to enlighten us?
Teddy Perkins
AG
Revenue is up. Season ticket holders are over 22k. Makes going over the CBT easier. Can't sign em all but talks with Altuve are ongoing and they will make Bregman an offer eventually.

https://archive.ph/2024.02.06-230503/https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/jerome-solomon/article/houston-astros-owner-jim-crane-payroll-18650864.php
3 Toed Pete
AG
agproducer said:

Worst Astros trades:

Joe Morgan
Kenny Lofton
Miguel Tejada -- we didn't give up much in major league talent, but it severely damaged a weakened farm system
Yes sir. Joe Morgan trade was the worst and none others are even close.

I realize that was before most of the posters here were born, but I was old enough to start following the team soon after that trade and was pissed off watching "Little Joe" win the NL MVP at Cincinnati while my team was always 15-20 games back at the All Star break. That may have been when the team was owned by a corporation.
spadilly
S
The Bregman section:

Quote:

Not that I'm psychic, but my read is Crane sounds a bit more optimistic that a deal can be worked out with Altuve, who turns 34 in May and made his debut in the Astros' farm system in 2007.

Bregman, who turns 30 next month, debuted in the majors in 2016 and became a full-time starter at third base the next year, when the Astros won their first World Series and began their record run of seven straight ALCS appearances.

"He's another good one," Crane said. "A little younger, a little different circumstance. It depends on whether he wants to test the market, or he'll sign a deal with us, but we'll definitely make him an offer.

"The guys that have gotten away the big names (Carlos) Correa, (George) Springer and (Gerrit) Cole there were various reasons why we didn't sign those guys. Some of it was money, some of it was age, some of it was career path and that sort of thing, and what they wanted to do to test the market.

"Look, you're not going to be able to sign 'em all, but we've made some big signings. And we'll continue to balance that with the guys coming up. The objective there is to put a winning product out there every single year and be in contention. And we've been pretty consistent with that."

Johnsy3
AG
Texaggie7nine
Sooooo they reached an agreement?
7nine
Thinice
5/125
Wabs
AG
It's happening.gif
tjack16
AG
LETS GO!!!!
Tuve
https://media.tenor.com/tjr7DHtGpiQAAAAM/okay-its-happening.gif
astros4545
AG
Wooo
Marvin
AG
Glad Jim Crane made that happen. Get it out of the way to see what else takes place, but that was the cornerstone.
Blackbeard94
AG
As it should be
Mr.Bond
AG
Johnsy3 said:

**** YES
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

gambochaman
zgood10
AG
5/125, through 2029
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Project Gemini
AG
Thank god. Would have been unforgivable to not keep that man here.
AgSportsFan89
AG
I literally love Jose Altuve
EastCoastAgNc
AG

The last sentence is interesting, not sure how that hasn't happened yet
The Porkchop Express
AG
Project Gemini said:

Thank god. Would have been unforgivable to not keep that man here.
Thank god we never have to see Altuve looking like this.

Mathguy64
AG
So. $1MM a year while he plays. $5MM a year for the rest of his life.

You know LAD would do it.
Ag_07
AG
GD Crane that cheapskate...I kid I kid

Good deal for both sides. Not crazy money and not crazy long.
W
AG
great news on the Altuve extension

the chase for 3,000 will be fun
07ag
AG
Jackal99 said:

Bassmaster said:

Ag_07 said:

Awesome! A throwback Astros story that isn't told by Porkchop.

But why didn't they just give him the pen?

Reminds me of once after a late 90's game, jose lima was signing autographs, gave him my pen to sign my baseball. He signed a few others and I decided to just let him have it, and started walking up to the concourse. He started calling out 'hey who's pen is this?'. Didn't want to fight through the crowd and just kept walking
https://ts.la/eric59704
AggieJ2002
AG
Love it! Altuve was the one guy that absolutely could not get away no matter what. Love that the guys that have been the faces of the franchise wearing only the Astros Jersey are great likable guys that let their play speak loudly. I hope Altuve carries the mantle of being an Astros ambassador for life much the way Biggio and Bagwell have.
First Page Last Page
Page 217 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.