***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

922,618 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One of the biggest preseason predictors. I was coming to post it.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/standings/

Looks like they're sleeping on Baltimore. I'd probably have SD higher too. The central divisions somehow look worse than last year.
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

One of the biggest preseason predictors. I was coming to post it.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/standings/

Looks like they're sleeping on Baltimore. I'd probably have SD higher too. The central divisions somehow look worse than last year.

Yeah hard to imagine Baltimore taking a 15 game step backwards this year
agproducer
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Being a gym rat doesn't automatically equal success but it does show that the player is willing to put in the work to try. The stuff he regurgitated about his swing sounds like every player every offseason. I think his improvement from year 1 to year 2 will continue out to year 3. It's just a matter of finding that pop again.
Absolutely. I just thought it was a cool inside look into the gym work JP puts in. Hopefully, it will translate on the field. Bulking up didn't help Bregman.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
I feel AL East is wrong. Should be Baltimore, NYY, then Boston in my opinion.
linkdude
AG
Hello old friend.
bearkatag15
AG
NY will get all the live with their big signings they likely are the favorites with Baltimore nipping at their heels
Ag_07
AG
linkdude said:

Hello old friend.

Obligatory

Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

NY will get all the live with their big signings they likely are the favorites with Baltimore nipping at their heels
I wonder what NY's long-term plan is.

Their 2024/5 FA list is long.
  • Soto
  • Torres
  • Verdugo
  • Holmes
  • Loaisiga
  • Ferguson
  • Kahnle
Potentially, Rizzo & Weaver too. (club options)

Then you factor in Judge will be 33 & Cole will be 34.

The NEED to win in 2024 because 2025 is going to have a very different look.
tjack16
AG
I'm guessing their stock is in Dominguez and Volpe being their future stars. I think one of them will be but not both
TRM
AG
Special Asst to MLBPA President Tony Clark
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

I'm guessing their stock is in Dominguez and Volpe being their future stars. I think one of them will be but not both
I am not a Volpe believer, but Dominguez might be legit. I think its too early to tell. He's only has 70 PA across AAA/MLB. He's one ugly ******* tho.

Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

I wonder what NY's long-term plan is.

Their 2024/5 FA list is long.
  • Soto
  • Torres
  • Verdugo
  • Holmes
  • Loaisiga
  • Ferguson
  • Kahnle
Potentially, Rizzo & Weaver too. (club options)

Then you factor in Judge will be 33 & Cole will be 34.

The NEED to win in 2024 because 2025 is going to have a very different look.
And Stanton will be 35. Him and his -0.8 WAR. And they still owe him 5 more years and $133MM.
Ag_07
AG
I figured as much with the MLBPA logo

This is just poking fun at Gomez with Colin's classic reaction to one of his awful plays in CF.

Not sure how this is gonna work since it's a Facebook link but it's the only one I could find

https://fb.watch/q2jZ6zst4z/

Interesting that that happened in 2016 then in 2017 Gomez started shlt with McHugh when he was with Texas

Guy was just a joke in general
texasaggie2015
AG
Having a conversation with a buddy of mine that sort of pertains to Carlos Gomez. We talk a lot about the best trades in franchise history.. what would be considered the worst? Outside of the Fiers thing

Curt Schilling for Jason Grimsley maybe?
tjack16
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Having a conversation with a buddy of mine that sort of pertains to Carlos Gomez. We talk a lot about the best trades in franchise history.. what would be considered the worst? Outside of the Fiers thing

Curt Schilling for Jason Grimsley maybe?

We traded away a stud reliever in Josh Fields to the Dodgers for some unknown Cuban prospect… that one was rough
Mathguy64
AG
Man. I never realized just how bad Stanton was. So his WAR was -0.8 Surely it wasnt that bad.

Ok. It was.

In 101 games, he slashed .191/.275/.420. Yes, thats $33MM for an OPS under .700. Thats an OPS+ of 87 for those counting.

60 RBI from a power hitting DH. He managed 24 HR, so he managed to drive in 36 teammates somehow.

Farmer is in love with RE24. He will really love this. Stanton was at -8.5. He actually is responsible for taking 8.5 runs AWAY from his team based on situational hitting.

And they have this donkey dropping for 5 more years. It may be the worst contract ever.
Ag_07
AG
Yordan Alvarez for Josh Fields
texasaggie2015
AG
nm
Ag_07
AG
Stanton has a knack for absolutely blistering hot then disappearing.

I'd be willing to bet that half those HRs came in like a 10 game span when he was just tearing the cover off the ball.
Farmer1906
AG
How about this - not a trade, but deciding to protect Doggy and not Abreu from the expansion Devil Rays.

Go back a little further when we unloaded Cami & Finley for Derek Bell & Ricky Gutierrez.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The worst for the Astros...

- whatever got us Ken Giles
- any trade involving Ed Wade bending over for the Phillies
- the Jason Jennings trade
- trading away Ben Zobrist
texasaggie2015
AG
Man, Doggy had a couple really good years. I wonder what could have been if he never got shot in that carjacking. He was never the same after that.

But you're right, that one hurts.
tjack16
AG
Not a trade but I would have loved to hang on to JD Martinez. Him in our 2015-2018 lineup would have been awesome. Especially 2018 given he would have been in our dugout rather than Boston

I understand why we didn't keep him, but that's one I wish I could go back in time to.
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Man. I never realized just how bad Stanton was. So his WAR was -0.8 Surely it wasnt that bad.

Ok. It was.

In 101 games, he slashed .191/.275/.420. Yes, thats $33MM for an OPS under .700. Thats an OPS+ of 87 for those counting.

60 RBI from a power hitting DH. He managed 24 HR, so he managed to drive in 36 teammates somehow.

Farmer is in love with RE24. He will really love this. Stanton was at -8.5. He actually is responsible for taking 8.5 runs AWAY from his team based on situational hitting.

And they have this donkey dropping for 5 more years. It may be the worst contract ever.
texasaggie2015
AG
I always saw something in JD. Even when he was here. I think he's one of those guys who just really needed a change of scenery to get going
EastCoastAgNc
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Well, uh, this is akward.

Somebody got a talking to
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I always saw something in JD. Even when he was here. I think he's one of those guys who just really needed a change of scenery to get going
His major change was a new hitting coach. It probably (?) would have happened here if we held on, but what were the odds after almost 1000 PA he would drastically improve from what he was? He had an 87 Astros wRC+ and got worse each season. 103 to 88 to 75.
Ag_07
AG
Larry Anderson for Jeff Bagwell has to be candidate for one of the worst MLB trades
RED AG 98
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

RED AG 98 said:

Even this backpedal is stupid though. Sheesh. She's clearly not that bright and/or has very poor advisers.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Being a gym rat doesn't automatically equal success but it does show that the player is willing to put in the work to try. The stuff he regurgitated about his swing sounds like every player every offseason. I think his improvement from year 1 to year 2 will continue in year 3. It's just a matter of finding that pop again.

Deluxe's 2024 WAR projection for Peña is on the rise, as is typical this time of year.
TarponChaser
RED AG 98 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

RED AG 98 said:

Even this backpedal is stupid though. Sheesh. She's clearly not that bright and/or has very poor advisers.

She could be straight of central casting as a Boss Karen.
texasaggie2015
AG
For sure.

He was just one of those guys to me that, even through the struggles, you could just see something there.
agproducer
AG
That Abreu/Hidalgo conundrum: that contract year for Doggy in 2000 was a bright spot in a terrible season -- 44 home runs.

The longevity of Abreu though -- I didn't realize he had more than 2,400 hits.
texasaggie2015
AG
I was talking to the same buddy I mentioned above about some of the most underrated players in the last 20 years or so. We both agreed Bobby Abreu might be that guy.

I also think Carlos Delgado didn't get enough love. He kinda got lost in the shuffle of all those heavy hitting first basemen... but the guy was really, really good.
spadilly
S
I listened to the interview. He lobbed up a soft, easy question about the prospect of them moving to the city and she cranked the wheel the other way and went down her own path.
First Page Last Page
Page 216 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.