***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

937,046 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
Miles Finch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Miles Finch said:

I would love to sign Hader, but this feels like one of those scenarios where the agent floats a rumor to push another team to make a move.

You're welcome!
Wabs
AG
So when is the Rangers counter move expected? Tonight or tomorrow? Jordan Montgomery?
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

So when is the Rangers counter move expected? Tonight or tomorrow? Jordan Montgomery?

They need to address their starters and bullpen.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Chandler is on 790 taking about it now
07ag
AG
astros into lux tax, soooo,, beers are gonna be $20+ this season aren't they?

is tailgating for mlb games a thing? pregame and skip the stadium brews?
https://ts.la/eric59704
Sex Panther
AG
LFGGG

Bullpen is now the Bullet Club

texasaggie2015
AG
The Astros pursuit of Hader is no surprise to anyone on the team or in baseball. They spoke with Pressly about it at the deadline last year about their plans and they've been in contact with him over the last few days as well.
AggiEE
mwm said:

"Astros signed Josh Hader? No big deal. I'll let him throw the 6th inning only if he's facing righties."

Probably.

Dusty.

"Everyone want the new guy, but Montero been doing big things in Houston under my watch for a long time, that's why I went to him in the 8th with the heart of the lineup and all lefties. Matchups are fan stuff"

Thank me later"

So glad our gut punch season destroying ego driven manager is gone in 24….
cc10106
Chandler on 790 telling everyone how underappreciated Pressly has been in Houston.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
He's not wrong
Farmer1906
AG
Beau Holder said:

And just in time. The way he would've mangled having Abreu, Pressly, and Hader all together would be impossible to fathom.
As long as Espada doesn't manage like Bob Melvin.

Padres up 1 in an elimination game going to the 8th. The heart of the Phillies lineup is up, including lefty Bryce Harper.

Harper has the biggest moment of his career.

Quote:

"At that point in time," Manager Bob Melvin said, "I had confidence in Suarez."
The season ends without firing your best bullet.

Josh Hader in the 2022 Postseason:
  • 5 games
  • 5.1 IP
  • 1 Hit
  • 0 R
  • 0 ER
  • 1 BB
  • 10 SO
  • Opponents had a .229 OPS (that's ****ing insane)
EastCoastAgNc
AG
BCEDAg
AG
I'm positive that Avery, Presley and Hader will be used due to matchups and feel confident that Espada will manage accordingly. One night the closer could be Hader, the next night could be Presley. We will see but it's a nice problem to have these kinds of arms in your bullpen. Thank you Jim Crane!
Prosperdick
AG
AggiEE said:

mwm said:

"Astros signed Josh Hader? No big deal. I'll let him throw the 6th inning only if he's facing righties."

Probably.

Dusty.

"Everyone want the new guy, but Montero been doing big things in Houston under my watch for a long time, that's why I went to him in the 8th with the heart of the lineup and all lefties. Matchups are fan stuff"

Thank me later"

So glad our gut punch season destroying ego driven manager is gone in 24….
I think we're all in violent agreement on that point and I just hope everytime Diaz gets a big hit or hits a homerun this season we're not chirping "thanks Dusty."

Lets all just try to put him in the rearview and forget about him and focus on the future, which now looks even brighter!
Prosperdick
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

AggieJ2002
AG
Love it!!!!

LFG!
Furlock Bones
AG

FrioAg 00
AG
Wow - great damn addition

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't think we need a lot more helps with the bats.

My only real concern is with the young starting pitchers taking the next step forward.
Teddy Perkins
AG

Beau Holder
AG
07ag said:

astros into lux tax, soooo,, beers are gonna be $20+ this season aren't they?

is tailgating for mlb games a thing? pregame and skip the stadium brews?

Drink a few at Frost Town, Main St, or Woodrow's in EaDo and stagger in. Banger IPA only as far as in-stadium bang-for-your-buck. We'll make it, fellas.
themissinglink
AG
Hader is great and if Crane wants to open up the check book and funds are unlimited, go for it, but I'd rather spend that money on a bat.

Honestly, this is where Click/Luhnow were great. We had an awesome bullpen and spent very little money on it because all those small moves Crane hated were great value bullpen pickups.
tjack16
AG
I wonder how well attended fan fest will be tomorrow with the Texans starting at 3
Coby
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

The Astros pursuit of Hader is no surprise to anyone on the team or in baseball. They spoke with Pressly about it at the deadline last year about their plans and they've been in contact with him over the last few days as well.
I believe back in Oct you said Hader was the Astros top priority so I've been waiting for this moment. Big kudos to you on that.
Marvin
AG
I'm excited. Great job and kudos to Jim Crane.
cc10106
Biggest free agent signing since Carlos Lee?
texasaggie2015
AG
cc10106 said:

Carlos Lee was quite a bit bigger than Hader
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

cc10106 said:

Carlos Lee was quite a bit bigger than Hader

Both in size and how big off a bust he was
Farmer1906
AG
Biggest Contract in Astros History per Spotrac and players I could remember.

1. Altuve - 7/163.5 M - Extension
2. Alvarez - 6/115.0 M - Extension
3. Bregman - 5/100 M - Extension
4. Lee - 6/100 M - FA
5. Hader - 5/95 M - FA
6. McCullers - 5/85 M - Extension
6. Bagwell - 5/85 M - Extension
6. Berkman - 6/85 M - Extension
9. Javier - 5/64 M - Extension
10. Verlander - 2/66 M - Extension
11. Abreu - 3/58.5 M - FA
12. Reddick 4/52 M - FA
13. Verlander - 5/50 M (2nd year option) - Extension
14. Gurriel - 5/47.5 M - FA
15. Montero - 3/34.5 M - Extension
16. Brantley - 2/32 M - FA
16. Brantley - 2/32 M - Extension
18. Petitte - 3/31.5 M - FA
19. Presslty - 2/30 M (2nd year option) - Extension

I probably missed some because Spotrac doesn't show players as Astros if they left the team eventually.

I counted players returning as FA as extensions even if its maybe not technically accurate.
texasaggie2015
AG

I keep seeing things like this and it's so insanely stupid.

How many teams in baseball have a better 9-hole hitter than Jake Meyers? And how many teams in baseball have a better 5th starter than France?

Maybe a couple.. but those are not liabilities.
Beau Holder
AG
How many teams even have a better FOURTH starter than what France gave us for most of the regular season?
Farmer1906
AG
Beau Holder said:

How many teams even have a better FOURTH starter than what France gave us for most of the regular season?

I don't think what he did is repeatable without some kind of improvement. I know that is not the point you're making, but our starting 1-2-3 of Verlander-Framber-Javier is about as good as anyone. We have solid options at 4-5-6 and the best "4" in baseball if LMJ comes back.
Sher Thing
AG
I think Hader is a smart move. Pressly is starting to get up there at 35 and this ensures the back end of the bullpen will remain elite moving forward. I understand the want and need for another bat but I think this is the smarter move at the moment.
texasaggie2015
AG
I just don't understand how someone can react to signing the best reliever in baseball with "BUT OUR 9 HOLE HITTER ISN'T AN ALL STAR"
BadAggie
AG
With Abreu, Hader and Pressly you have top tier bullpen arms that allow you to bring one in earlier in a game in a 'high leverage' spot while still having the 8th and 9th covered.

If Montero can give Jobu what he wants then man, that bullpen is going to be filthy.

Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I just don't understand how someone can react to signing the best reliever in baseball with "BUT OUR 9 HOLE HITTER ISN'T AN ALL STAR"
Some Twitter dork suggested we trade CJ Stroud a week or so back. As long as there are idiots there will be idiot takes.
First Page Last Page
Page 185 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.