*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,382,973 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
BassCowboy33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bmc13 said:

Zachary Klement said:

aggrad02 said:

Also streaming/on-demand/cord-cutting probably doesn't help.

I remember before streaming if I had a free evening and was scrolling through channels, I might watch a championship game of a sport or team I didn't follow, just because it was the best option of what was available at the moment live out of maybe 100 options.

Now there are seemingly unlimited options and if it is not your favorite sport or team, there are way better options.
Another thought is Bally Sports and blackouts on YouTube TV/other popular TV streaming platforms must have taken a massive toll on fan interest in those sports.

Say what you will about the NFL, but they have definitely gotten it right by making local teams available to local fans.

this. I don't understand how MLB teams are so short-sighted with their rights deals. they've basically made baseball and especially local baseball inaccessible to the vast majority of consumers. so annoying.
I know Gray TV (the company I work for) is pining for the pro teams on local TV. They recently picked up the Phoenix Suns and broadcast them for free OTA. They also just established a Peachtree TV Sports in Atlanta, which they're using to gun for the Atlanta Hawks when Bally goes under completely.
GrapevineAg
AG
nai06 said:

According to Wikipedia there are 13 metros that have all 4 major sports

DFW
LA
New York
Chicago
Boston
Denver
Detroit
Miami
Phoenix
Minneapolis
Philly
D.C.
San Francisco
N/m I'm an idiot.
fc2112
The issue with local broadcasting rights is the contracts clubs signed 10 years ago before anyone thought about streaming.

Hopefully as these cable companies go under, it'll all get fixed.
Mr Gigem
AG
9am beers at Tucson airport LFG
AggieRob93
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

fc2112 said:

double aught said:

Teslag said:

If the Rangers win one of the next three Dallas will become only the 8th city to win a Super Bowl, NBA Finals, World Series, and Stanley Cup.
How many cities have teams in all four sports? Nine?

Sixteen

Phoenix
Atlanta
Chicago
DFW
Detroit
Los Angeles
Minneapolis
New York
Philly
Washington
Cleveland
Denver
Las vegas (soon)
Miami
Boston
Pittsburgh

Miami lacks a SB and Stanley cup (I think)

Dolphins undefeated in '72, a record which so far is yet to be broken in the NFL.
Aggies2009
AG
AggieRob93 said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

fc2112 said:

double aught said:

Teslag said:

If the Rangers win one of the next three Dallas will become only the 8th city to win a Super Bowl, NBA Finals, World Series, and Stanley Cup.

Sixteen

Phoenix
Atlanta
Chicago
DFW
Detroit
Los Angeles
Minneapolis
New York
Philly
Washington
Cleveland
Denver
Las vegas (soon)
Miami
Boston
Pittsburgh

Dolphins undefeated in '72, a record which so far is yet to be broken in the NFL.
I mean, it'll never be broken. Only tied.
DallasAg 94
Sorry to hear about your friend. What was his drink?

Welcome back.

Baseball can be very therapeutic.
Voice Of Reason 11
BassCowboy33 said:

South Platte said:

BassCowboy33 said:

fc2112 said:

Atlanta has the Thrashers. EDIT - they moved.

I'll concede the other two. I don't really follow hockey.

If you think the MLB playoffs are stressful, check out the NHL. It's a different level of insanity.

Sorry, not even close. I love playoff hockey and the NBA playoffs for the intensity, but neither are as stressful on fans. Baseball games aren't determined by maximum effort. I wish they were. There is no clock to expire, you can't hold the ball, dump the puck into the corner, park the bus, etc. You have to wait pitch by pitch for the result, which is rarely determined by the size of lead you have late in a game. The fact that even with a Texas lead and the Dbacks down to their final strike, the game is not over until it is.

I already have a stress headache and we're 8 hours away from first pitch. I wish I had a substance abuse addiction I could fall back on right now.

Hockey is notoriously the most unpredictable and toughest playoff in all of sports, and it has one ENORMOUS stress advantage over other sports, the greatest stress-inducer of all: sudden-death overtime.

So much this. If you aren't heavily stressed watching your favorite hockey team play in the postseason, you're not doing it right. Hockey can change on a dime and a team coming back to win down 3-0 in a series isn't nearly as rare as it is in the NBA or MLB.

AggieRob93
AG
Aggies2009 said:

AggieRob93 said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

fc2112 said:

double aught said:

Teslag said:

Sixteen

Phoenix
Atlanta
Chicago
DFW
Detroit
Los Angeles
Minneapolis
New York
Philly
Washington
Cleveland
Denver
Las vegas (soon)
Miami
Boston
Pittsburgh

I mean, it'll never be broken. Only tied.
Bah, correct, though some would argue a now 17-game regular season would mean more than the 14-game regular season in 1972. Still a heckuva record, and as lots of folks know was one the Pats were on course to TIE (I know, I know) until they lost to the fighting Eli Mannings in the Super Bowl in the '07-'08 season.

But anyway, back to Rangers beisbol!
Mr Gigem
AG
For some reason during this postseason, I haven't really been able to really celebrate these wins. Even the walkoff in Game 1. I smiled, hugged my wife, then went to the postgame reception to enjoy some food and drinks.

I guess I see it as there has been so much work put in up to this point, and the job's not finished yet. Maybe once the deal is done, I can exhale and celebrate properly.

Baseball has always been number one in my life. I consider myself lucky to be in the position that I'm in. And doubly lucky that I have a partner in life who is just as passionate about baseball as I am. She jokes (I think) that if I ever leave the Rangers that she will divorce me.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the game tonight. I'm sure I will be a wide range of emotions as we hopefully close this thing out. I like our chances with Evo on the mound and the motivation these guys seem to be playing for - Adolis, Mad Max, deGrom.
Proposition Joe
Anyone know of a good post-game place within walking distance for a drink? Trying to make my plans before I get there cause we'll be rushed.
BassCowboy33
Mr Gigem said:

9am beers at Tucson airport LFG

One note: I'm in Atlanta now, but I really miss the dry heat and landscapes of the Western U.S. it actually hurts how much I miss it sometimes.
Mr Gigem
AG
Anywhere you see a Rangers fan
FireAg
AG
Mr Gigem said:

For some reason during this postseason, I haven't really been able to really celebrate these wins. Even the walkoff in Game 1. I smiled, hugged my wife, then went to the postgame reception to enjoy some food and drinks.

I guess I see it as there has been so much work put in up to this point, and the job's not finished yet. Maybe once the deal is done, I can exhale and celebrate properly.

Baseball has always been number one in my life. I consider myself lucky to be in the position that I'm in. And doubly lucky that I have a partner in life who is just as passionate about baseball as I am. She jokes (I think) that if I ever leave the Rangers that she will divorce me.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the game tonight. I'm sure I will be a wide range of emotions as we hopefully close this thing out. I like our chances with Evo on the mound and the motivation these guys seem to be playing for - Adolis, Mad Max, deGrom.
I have been the same, and it all goes back to Nellie Cruz...we literally had one strike to go...

That has probably scarred me more than anything in my sports fandom life...
Water Boy
AG
My mind will not allow me to celebrate until the final out has been made and we are the winners. Hoping we get it done tonight!
South Platte
BassCowboy33 said:

South Platte said:

BassCowboy33 said:

fc2112 said:

If you think the MLB playoffs are stressful, check out the NHL. It's a different level of insanity.

Sorry, not even close. I love playoff hockey and the NBA playoffs for the intensity, but neither are as stressful on fans. Baseball games aren't determined by maximum effort. I wish they were. There is no clock to expire, you can't hold the ball, dump the puck into the corner, park the bus, etc. You have to wait pitch by pitch for the result, which is rarely determined by the size of lead you have late in a game. The fact that even with a Texas lead and the Dbacks down to their final strike, the game is not over until it is.

I already have a stress headache and we're 8 hours away from first pitch. I wish I had a substance abuse addiction I could fall back on right now.

Hockey is notoriously the most unpredictable and toughest playoff in all of sports, and it has one ENORMOUS stress advantage over other sports, the greatest stress-inducer of all: sudden-death overtime.
It certainly was wild last year in the playoffs with Seattle and Florida making runs.

As a fan, it's much easier to watch your team give maximum effort and lose. I can accept that Vegas simply the better team. Stars left it all on the ice and came up short. I will need therapy if Arizona comes back and wins this.
shack009
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Anyone know of a good post-game place within walking distance for a drink? Trying to make my plans before I get there cause we'll be rushed.
My wife and I like Majerle's.
duck79
AG
I worked in sports out of college and got to experience winning a title(Spurs). I was fortunate enough to get to carry the trophy around after and ride in the parade.

I grew up a huge Spurs fan and I am assuming you have grown up with the Rangers. When tonight happens, take it in. Don't be in a rush to get your phone out or run all over the place. I have memories of the streamers coming down and the celebration. Those are memories I'll never lose. Finishing the night drinking champagne with 5-0 was just a cherry on top. I don't think I went to the arena till after lunch the next day.

Enjoy it and don't take it for granted.
DallasAg 94
Voice Of Reason 11 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

South Platte said:

BassCowboy33 said:

fc2112 said:

So much this. If you aren't heavily stressed watching your favorite hockey team play in the postseason, you're not doing it right. Hockey can change on a dime and a team coming back to win down 3-0 in a series isn't nearly as rare as it is in the NBA or MLB.

All you need is your Goalie to get arrested at The Mansion.
Water Boy
AG
The key for tonight is to score first.
Mr Gigem
AG
This won't backfire at all
Player To Be Named Later
AG
South Platte said:

BassCowboy33 said:

fc2112 said:

If you are a serious hockey fan, playoff hockey is absolutely more stressful to watch than playoff baseball. Not even really close IMO
DeangeloVickers
AG
BassCowboy33
South Platte said:

BassCowboy33 said:

South Platte said:

BassCowboy33 said:

fc2112 said:

It certainly was wild last year in the playoffs with Seattle and Florida making runs.

As a fan, it's much easier to watch your team give maximum effort and lose. I can accept that Vegas simply the better team. Stars left it all on the ice and came up short. I will need therapy if Arizona comes back and wins this.

Like when Vancouver got upset by Boston in 2011, and the Canucks fans burned the city to the ground.
Voice Of Reason 11
Mr Gigem said:

I've kind of been the same. 2011 WS loss was soul crushing. When I realized the Rangers weren't going back to the World Series anytime soon. My interest in baseball as a whole dropped. And then I started to get kind of into it again and then the Bautista home run happened. I've never followed a baseball season as closely as this one and I feel like I'll be able to enjoy baseball a lot more again if the demons of 2011 are finally put away.

I grew up a San Antonio Spurs fan and they had some soul crushing losses. The Derek Fisher buzzer beater and choking the 2013 finals away, but in both cases the Spurs came back the next year to win the title. The 2011 loss is the only heartbreak loss that has never been resolved in my sports fandom and feels like it has lingered forever. If we can win tonight it will be the most satisfying sport's championship I've gotten to experience as a fan.
Proposition Joe
If anyone needs a hotel for tonight near airport shoot me a message - have one of ours become available and we'd happy take half ($150).
BassCowboy33
Voice Of Reason 11 said:

Mr Gigem said:

I've kind of been the same. 2011 WS loss was soul crushing. When I realized the Rangers weren't going back to the World Series anytime soon. My interest in baseball as a whole dropped. And then I started to get kind of into it again and then the Bautista home run happened. I've never followed a baseball season as closely as this one and I feel like I'll be able to enjoy baseball a lot more again if the demons of 2011 are finally put away.

I grew up a San Antonio Spurs fan and they had some soul crushing losses. The Derek Fisher buzzer beater and choking the 2013 finals away, but in both cases the Spurs came back the next year to win the title. The 2011 loss is the only heartbreak loss that has never been resolved in my sports fandom and feels like it has lingered forever. If we can win tonight it will be the most satisfying sport's championship I've gotten to experience as a fan.
I'll also point out the Spurs won eleventy championships before the 2013 finals.
aggiedadofpanda
AG
Rangers fans in Reno on the layover. LFG boys!!

GrapevineAg
AG
Awesome, have a great time!

I have to ask about your username... our daughter's name is Amanda and she's been called "Amanda Panda", "Panda Bear", etc. for as long as I can remember, so "Aggie dad of Panda" could make sense that way.
WhoHe
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Welcome back.

Crown and Coke
aggiedadofpanda
AG
GrapevineAg said:

Awesome, have a great time!

I have to ask about your username... our daughter's name is Amanda and she's been called "Amanda Panda", "Panda Bear", etc. for as long as I can remember, so "Aggie dad of Panda" could make sense that way.

I have two daughters, Paige and Abby. P and A. I should change my username now with my boy to AggieDadofPandas. Not today though, today we win a World Series!
DeangeloVickers
AG
DallasAg 94
WhoHe said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Welcome back.

Crown and Coke
Sounds like a suitable drink after we win. And yes, I have some Crown.
WestTexAg12
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

I forgot how much I hated Lincecum
Carlo4
AG
It's like poetry. it rhymes
First Page Last Page
Page 1093 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.