*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,383,230 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
The Brazos Kid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One. More. W.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Carlo4 said:

Stayed away from this thread yesterday once the game started. It was my birthday and had a really difficult day with my dad moving into a memory care facility same day. It's where he needs to be but still super hard. I ended up talking to him on the phone prior to his move for 20 seconds before he hung up on me. Just thankful I heard his voice. All I wanted.

My wife was amazing and made sure I had great evening after work even with her battling a severe sinus infection. Went trick or treating with my daughter and saw what was happening as everyone had their TV on watching door to door and screaming (happy one). Ended up being a much better day than it started.

This is where you need to be up 3-1 with two left at home and 1 more on the road where you are 10-0. Looking forward to watching tonight.

God bless, hang in there my friend
Zachary Klement
AG
I just pulled up the year-by-year ratings for the WS, NBA Finals, and SB.

The WS and NBA Finals generally seem to be steadily declining...SB viewership had been down since 2017 but saw a spike last year.

I wonder if interest in sports is just declining as a whole or if more people are turning to illegal/free streams.
Zachary Klement
AG
Super bummed that Adolis is out. His run this postseason has been so special...it would have been awesome to see a guy go from being DFA and traded for cash considerations to WS MVP.
Teslag
AG
Seems like during covid a lot of people found out they really didn't miss sports that much and replaced it with other things.
Zachary Klement
AG
I'd be curious to know what the change looks like across age demographics.

I wonder if it is down across all or if there are more younger people who just don't care as much.
DallasAg 94
Jimtim1216 said:

Mr Gigem said:

FireAg said:

GigEmRangers75455 said:

Let's jump out 10-0 again today to avoid the stress.

Any chance we could DFA Will Smith before the game? That would help my stress levels too…

He threw more than 0 pitches last night, so he's not available tonight anyway
If you are going to use him, a 10 run lead is almost safe enough. I am hopeful that the first move of the off season will be to release Mr. Smith.
He is a FA. As is Stratton and Chapman.
Carlo4
AG
Zachary Klement said:

Super bummed that Adolis is out. His run this postseason has been so special...it would have been awesome to see a guy go from being DFA and traded for cash considerations to WS MVP.
He will just have to settle for the all time single postseason RBI record.
aggrad02
AG
Also streaming/on-demand/cord-cutting probably doesn't help.

I remember before streaming if I had a free evening and was scrolling through channels, I might watch a championship game of a sport or team I didn't follow, just because it was the best option of what was available at the moment live out of maybe 100 options.

Now there are seemingly unlimited options and if it is not your favorite sport or team, there are way better options.
justnobody79
it is a matchup of 2 non-traditional baseball markets with no East Coast or L.A. teams involved, plus all the other stuff just mentioned. Of course the ratings are going to be down.
BassCowboy33
I am cautiously optimistic, but I am still not allowing myself to hope. Mac Engel's awful article in the FWST today will surely add a fire under the Diamondbacks and will be mentioned for decades if Arizona comes back in this series. Can't believe the paper actually ran that pile of garbage.
mosdefn14
AG
DFW is a huge market. I think every house in my neighborhood has the game on atleast one TV last night, many had it on im the living room, garage, back yard, and front yard.

How much of the drop is AZ is a tiny market?
DallasAg 94
Zachary Klement said:

I just pulled up the year-by-year ratings for the WS, NBA Finals, and SB.

The WS and NBA Finals generally seem to be steadily declining...SB viewership had been down since 2017 but saw a spike last year.

I wonder if interest in sports is just declining as a whole or if more people are turning to illegal/free streams.
Interest is declining is one aspect. None of the young men I know watch or play traditional sports.

For my boys, the guys who played sports are on a whole new level of *******. The fun is driven out early. One of my boys was playing on a 7-8 year old team. These kids were turning double plays and would yell at other players if they flubbed a ball or struck out. If you look at the Astros game thread, that is what the kids and parents looked like.

I coached a 2nd-3rd grade team and one of my parents told me how embarrassed she was at what the other team's parents were saying about me. Calling me a cheater and other terrible things. Oh... this was a church league and the other parents were among the leaders I knew of this Mega-Church. Our kids went to school together at a private school. My kids know classmates who are now players in the NBA and MLB. They see how athletes treat each other and how they bully non-athletes, and how teachers show favoritism towards star athletes. They want no part of it.

None of my kids have watched a single inning of Post-Season baseball. Probably one of the reasons I post on here.
Water Boy
AG
Get ready for some of the most horrific calls you've ever seen tonight. MLB wants this to go to 6.
Zachary Klement
AG
aggrad02 said:

I remember before streaming if I had a free evening and was scrolling through channels, I might watch a championship game of a sport or team I didn't follow, just because it was the best option of what was available at the moment live out of maybe 100 options.

Now there are seemingly unlimited options and if it is not your favorite sport or team, there are way better options.
Another thought is Bally Sports and blackouts on YouTube TV/other popular TV streaming platforms must have taken a massive toll on fan interest in those sports.

Say what you will about the NFL, but they have definitely gotten it right by making local teams available to local fans.
rgag12
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

I am cautiously optimistic, but I am still not allowing myself to hope. Mac Engel's awful article in the FWST today will surely add a fire under the Diamondbacks and will be mentioned for decades if Arizona comes back in this series. Can't believe the paper actually ran that pile of garbage.

Uh oh, I already shipped the D-Backs championship shirts to Botswana and Niger.
Teslag
AG
Adults that talk pro sports smack are sad. Adults that talk championship ratings smack are on another level. And the lowest of all is stadium location smack.
rgag12
AG
Teslag said:

Adults that talk pro sports smack are sad. Adults that talk championship ratings smack are on another level. And the lowest of all is stadium location smack.

What about Space Center smack? Where do those folks fall?
Teslag
AG
If the Rangers win one of the next three Dallas will become only the 8th city to win a Super Bowl, NBA Finals, World Series, and Stanley Cup.
KNM2020
AG
Who gives a damn about ratings, none of us or the people who think it is a flex are benefiting from the ratings. we beat their ass, and baltimores and tampas. Maybe those teams should've handled their business.
DallasAg 94
Zachary Klement said:

I'd be curious to know what the change looks like across age demographics.

I wonder if it is down across all or if there are more younger people who just don't care as much.
My guess is that it is down across the board but more dramatically the younger you get.

When my kids quit traditional sports, it cut my interest and time.
FireAg
AG
Water Boy said:

Get ready for some of the most horrific calls you've ever seen tonight. MLB wants this to go to 6.
Nope...Evo isn't going to let that happen...
Muy
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

gigem1223 said:

So we have 3 in here going to the game tomorrow? Anyone else?
My son gets his Aggie Ring on Friday and we're dunking our rings... or I'd consider getting a ticket tomorrow. Well, that and I have a tuition payment coming for 3 kids.

My younger son is getting his Friday as well!
walton91
Teslag said:

Seems like during covid a lot of people found out they really didn't miss sports that much and replaced it with other things.

Couple that with the Ballys mess and people not being able to watch their own teams play. Baseball became out of sight out of mind for a lot of people the past few years
M.C. Swag
AG
Why does every Astros fan feel the need to tell us to "cherish" this WS run? Like, ya no ***** We went to back to back WS and lost the 2nd in one of the most agonizing fashions possible. We know exactly how hard and meaningful a WS win AND loss is. This fake patronizing kindness drives me nuts. And they act like they're alabama football because they have a grand total of 1 legit ring in their franchise.
aBlane13
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Anybody going to the game tonight want to meet up for a beer at the game?

Sitting in Tulsa for my connection surfing Stubhub right now, looking for a single.
I'm coming by myself, I don't have stars but you can email me at Ebayaggie at gmail

I land at 2:45 local time and plan to head to the park after I check in.
DeangeloVickers
AG
AggieSportsGuy
AG
aggrad02 said:

This is the biggest thing. Honestly most people under 40 have ditched cable and TV streaming services entirely and are just using reliable pirated streaming sites for sports. The vast majority of people I know do this because even the die hard fans get restrictions from things like NBA League Pass or MLB.tv. Cable ratings in the 18-39 demo are down nearly 40% since 2016. Traditional TV ratings for these things don't really matter anymore.
akm91
AG
GigEmRangers75455 said:

Let's jump out 10-0 again today to avoid less stress.
FIFY
birdman
(no jinx)

Do you know that tomorrow when you call the Texas Ranger office to look into tickets or buy merchandise - they will answer the phone "World Champion Texas Rangers, how may I help you?"
nai06
AG
aBlane13 said:

Mr Gigem said:

Anybody going to the game tonight want to meet up for a beer at the game?

Sitting in Tulsa for my connection surfing Stubhub right now, looking for a single.
I'm coming by myself, I don't have stars but you can email me at Ebayaggie at gmail

I land at 2:45 local time and plan to head to the park after I check in.
I looked up tickets but couldn't convince my dad or anyone else to go with me. They've also lost every single WS game I've attended so far and I can't help but think what if I make it all the way there and they lose?
M.C. Swag
AG
Lol it's not a real thing. Go if you can. If they lose, it's not your fault.
Muy
AG
Carlo4 said:

Zachary Klement said:

This. And as incredible as Adolis has been, I still think Seager will get it.
Fenrir
akm91 said:

GigEmRangers75455 said:

Let's jump out 10-0 again today to avoid less stress.
FIFY
I don't want to avoid less stress though.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Muy said:

Carlo4 said:

Zachary Klement said:

This. And as incredible as Adolis has been, I still think Seager will get it.
Doli's HR in Game 1 doesn't happen without Seager's 2-run moonshot in the bottom of the 9th.

Cookie monster is destroying Arizona right now... why they're still pitching to him is a mystery. That being said, he has homered off a fastball, changeup and slider... sooo
First Page Last Page
Page 1091 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.