*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,382,936 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
BenFiasco14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The game last night was just prototypical Dallas team heartbreak. I mean you can't even write a better comeback win for Houston. I knew the moment we let those guys on base Altuve was going to hit a home run and we'd lose. Sure enough, that exact scenario happened. Bonus points: rangers loaded the bases in the bottom of the 9th to give you hope then lost.

Cowboys - haven't won anything since 1994

Rangers - never

Mavs - don't care much for nba, but they won a championship in … 2011?

Stars - 1999

A&M - LOL!

After A&M lost to app state last year, my whole perspective on watching sports and rooting for teams changed and I was super apathetic towards the typical collapses the above teams have each year.

But I unfortunately let myself buy into the hype this season with the Rangers and I stupidly let myself start believing for a second. But when Altuve hit that home run, top of the 9th, lol, I knew it was over. Another classic heartbreaking loss. I got really mad about it. Reminded me about why I've tried giving up this drug that is sports fandom, particularly, the above dog**** teams year after year.

It's one thing to lose. But losing games like yesterday, the way you lose them … sigh. I'm out for the year, I'm done. Enjoy the game on Sunday if you can. If I had to predict it (I'm not going to watch) the Rangers will get thumped something like 10-2 or 10-3 like the other night. Such is life. Rinse and repeat.

Mark my words - the above teams listed, except for the Dallas Stars, I can confidently say will not win a single championship in the next 50 years, I.e., my lifetime. The emotions and investment I use to put into sports just isn't worth it. I'm out.

ETA: I'm sure I'll get fair weather fan comments and the like and that's fine. But consider this. Is there anything else other than sport fandom where we are expected to just accept failure or mediocrity and we are unable to criticize it? No. It's only sports.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Grapesoda2525
BenFiasco14 said:

The game last night was just prototypical Dallas team heartbreak. I mean you can't even write a better comeback win for Houston. I knew the moment we let those guys on base Altuve was going to hit a home run and we'd lose. Sure enough, that exact scenario happened. Bonus points: rangers loaded the bases in the bottom of the 9th to give you hope then lost.

Cowboys - haven't won anything since 1994

Rangers - never

Mavs - don't care much for nba, but they won a championship in … 2011?

Stars - 1999

A&M - LOL!

After A&M lost to app state last year, my whole perspective on watching sports and rooting for teams changed and I was super apathetic towards the typical collapses the above teams have each year.

But I unfortunately let myself buy into the hype this season with the Rangers and I stupidly let myself start believing for a second. But when Altuve hit that home run, top of the 9th, lol, I knew it was over. Another classic heartbreaking loss. I got really mad about it. Reminded me about why I've tried giving up this drug that is sports fandom, particularly, the above dog**** teams year after year.

It's one thing to lose. But losing games like yesterday, the way you lose them … sigh. I'm out for the year, I'm done. Enjoy the game on Sunday if you can. If I had to predict it (I'm not going to watch) the Rangers will get thumped something like 10-2 or 10-3 like the other night. Such is life. Rinse and repeat.

Mark my words - the above teams listed, except for the Dallas Stars, I can confidently say will not win a single championship in the next 50 years, I.e., my lifetime. The emotions and investment I use to put into sports just isn't worth it. I'm out.
I can relate to all of this. I feel your pain.

A&M- have a good QB who got knocked out and now losing to teams who just throw over the top of our all world defensive line and good line backers

Mavericks- Have luka, but haven't been able to build a competent team around him. Good one year, but Golden state was a terrible matchup like always and they lose.

Stars- seem to be getting a lot of 2nd place trophies. Lost to TB in 2020 Stanley cup final. Lost to Vegas in WCF. Stars would've been the teams in the east. Just couldn't get by Vegas. For all intents and purposes, we got 2nd.

Cowboys- have built good rosters, but just seem to be cock blocked by the 49ers. We can't beat them and can't seem to avoid them in the playoffs.

Rangers- need I say more?

These teams all have one thing in common. They don't win when it counts and they all have a " big bully" standing in their way.

Mavs = golden state

Cowboys= 49ers

Rangers= Astros

Aggies = bama
Daveintx
Let's just blame Dak since he was at the game, and we know his playoff history
94chem
PatAg said:

KNM2020 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

PatriotAg02 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

I guess this has become the trash talking thread.

Staph has abandoned the site.
Yep. I'd like to have a civil discussion about the Rangers.
You'll have to wait until the Asstros fans are done validating themselves.

Starting to wonder if it's these guys holding the ags back from breaking through the ceiling. I can't imagine how they'd act

Not sure the world could handle it
Yes, they are the people we are ashamed of

This is an interesting question. The assumption is that Aggies are the ones holding A&M back.

My dad's generation, with guys like Gene Stallings and John David Crowe, liked all sports, but only spent money on football, and only cared about beating t.u. They're gone or retired now, and the move to the SEC and the Bill Byrne era mostly changed that mentality.

The new breed has swung the pendulum the other way, and there just seems to be incessant meddling. People seem to think that just because the school spends a ton of money, the coach owes them whatever they want. They hired an all-world baseball coach, but lose their minds over girls on the dugout. Basketball - puts a product on the court that makes us proud of being Aggies, and some of us act like we should be UNC, Kansas, Duke, or Kentucky. We make a great football hire (on paper), and we just can't help ourselves - we guarantee $100 million and print up a championship trophy, and it turns out that he hasn't earned it.

There seem to be too many Ags who can't strike the balance between aggression, excellence, and humility. Sadly, too many of them are about my age.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
fc2112
That was a tough game to watch in person.

As someone said earlier, a year ahead of schedule and the worst bullpen in baseball just makes this year incredible. Just a couple of better arms there picked up in the off season makes us the team to beat next year.

I can't imagine Abreu was throwing at Garcia with first base occupied. I was shocked they tossed him.

I can't wait for Altuve to enter puberty so his strike zone will grow bigger than a postage stamp.

Baker was still in the dugout after getting tossed? Wow - that's unlike the Oxy's to flaunt rules like that.

We can still win this - we've just made it really hard on ourselves.
Carlo4
AG
AgsWin2011 said:

On a side note, just tuned into the NLCS game. The TBS coverage is superior to the FS1 garbage. The commentators, the camera angles, no ump cam or A-Rod.

Do they interview coaches and players mid at-bat? Getting real tired of those interviews… especially allowing Dusty Baker to trash our stadium.
aggietony2010
AG
Man, you want to feel pain, go look at the expected batting averages from the 9th last night.
PatAg
AG
aggietony2010 said:

Man, you want to feel pain, go look at the expected batting averages from the 9th last night.

We had the perfect players up to tie or win the game, ones we paid big bucks for. They didn't it get it done and Altuve did. Was a long Friday evening
Carlo4
AG
94chem said:

Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Posted this in the AL West thread. What are y'all's thoughts? I thought the HBP was intentional at first but I don't think I could be convinced of that now that I've had time to cool off and think about it.

I don't think it was intentional. I do think they were trying to brush him back. That situation is not one in which you hit the guy that pimped a homerun his last AB. But, in Garcia's defense, the heat of the moment got the best of him and it's not like it didn't happen before. Abreu looked like he was as having control issues and we were about to start rocking him.

The benches being cleared changed the whole game. LeClerc went cold, the Astros were like a hornets nest that got disturbed, and the Rangers were deer in the headlights.

Explain to me like I'm 5 why on a deep fly ball to left center, Josh Smith doesn't tag and get to third. Let's say he takes off and the throw from the outfield gets past the third baseman (goes in the dugout, etc) tie ball game. It's possible he gets gunned but not likely.

HBP was not intentional.

Smith would not have even drawn a throw.

If Garcia just takes his base, we probably score that inning. I told y'all the other night that it was important to tag Abreu for that run. Tonight was why. We were gonna get to him again.

We all agree Garcias emotions played a major part yesterday. His aggression in a regular season game would be justified but not in that situation. He over-reacted in a major way.

There are no coincidences. Garcia showboats with the HR. Past history with the Grand Slam. He gets drilled first pitch next AB.

Eyes don't lie on the replay. Watch Maldonados eyes. Says it all. Looking down and away when Garcia is talking to him at first. Maldonado had a smirk and attitude after that. Garcia played into him once he did that.

Alvarez did a great job to diffuse the situation. Hats off to him.

All 6 umps agreed he hit him deliberately. They see the tone and situation.
agent-maroon
AG
Agree about Alvarez defusing the situation. He very likely stopped a physical altercation and suspensions being dealt on players who would miss a World Series because of it.

Respect!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Voice Of Reason 11
fc2112 said:

That was a tough game to watch in person.

As someone said earlier, a year ahead of schedule and the worst bullpen in baseball just makes this year incredible. Just a couple of better arms there picked up in the off season makes us the team to beat next year.

I can't imagine Abreu was throwing at Garcia with first base occupied. I was shocked they tossed him.

I can't wait for Altuve to enter puberty so his strike zone will grow bigger than a postage stamp.

Baker was still in the dugout after getting tossed? Wow - that's unlike the Oxy's to flaunt rules like that.

We can still win this - we've just made it really hard on ourselves.

We can still very much win this series. Last nights loss was painful but I'm not sure why everybody is acting like there's no way for professional athletes to get over it. It's baseball and the team already knew they were going to have to play a game 6 in Houston. The Astros are atrocious at Minute Maid this year and haven't been any better during the postseason. Last night sucked, but you have a day to get over it and come out with a fire to start game 6.
bmac_aggie18
AG
That was as big of a gut punch loss as I can remember. Feels the same as Game 6 2011, Game 5 2016 ALDS, 2018 Clemson, 2022 Bama I mean it literally makes me sick to my stomach. Can't believe CY thought he could piece a BP together without a lock down arm

All we gotta do is win Game 6 just do that
Roger Kint
AG
Honestly, I'm past things being "gut punches". Enjoy the highs, move on with your day with the lows. I used to let sports affect my emotions way too much (still struggle at times with it). I want to win, but it's not worth me being angry all weekend over. It's just a dang game. That said, I hope the Astros' joy turns to ashes in their mouth. I'm not sure I've ever seen a team or fan base that deserved to be humbled more.
ryanhnc10
AG
The other annoying thing, similar to Aggie football where the SEC West is down you had everything setup to make a run, win and you play the Phillies or Diamondbacks. You don't have to slay the Braves or Dodgers.

Would be great if we can stop choking on a giant bag of dicks.
bmac_aggie18
AG
No doubt. As someone said earlier, you just knew our BP was gonna blow a game and it would sting. Would've done anything for it to have not been Altuve but that's what happens when you walk their worst hitter
fc2112
Well guys - just remember...

Every time you flush the toilet, a few days later, someone in Houston's bathing in it.
PatriotAg02
AG
This shouldn't shock anyone who has watched our team all year. The most streaky team I can remember. We go on long winning streaks then turn around and lose several in a row. Could we win game 6? Sure but don't get your hopes up. Think the team is just in one of their funks. At least we had the 7 game streak to start this.
CampingAg
AG
Roger Kint said:

Honestly, I'm past things being "gut punches". Enjoy the highs, move on with your day with the lows. I used to let sports affect my emotions way too much (still struggle at times with it). I want to win, but it's not worth me being angry all weekend over. It's just a dang game. That said, I hope the Astros' joy turns to ashes in their mouth. I'm not sure I've ever seen a team or fan base that deserved to be humbled more.

I thought I had reached this stage. Then last night happened.
DallasAg 94
Agreed. I'm as disappointed as anyone.

However, I've mentioned before that I've learned to love the sport more than just winning. When I coach young people, I want them to develop a love of the sport and not just love winning. 50% of teams lose.

Too much of Youth Sports is build around loving to Win and not loving the Sport.

I will watch the Rangers in G6... and G7, if necessary, because I love the team, love the sport and realize not everyone will win the World Series.
DeangeloVickers
AG
DallasAg 94
Even A-Rod/Jeter/Ortiz said that while Maldonado sat there and said it wasn't intentional, that was what they'd expect him to say because they wouldn't want any suspensions. They knew it was intentional.

It was intentional. No question. Breaking pitch might get away, but a fastball shoulder high that far in the batters box wasn't a brush back. It was intentional.

The only question is whether you want to argue if it was warranted. Garcia showboats a little too much for me. It is what the Latin players bring. They showboat. And he should have been plunked. And he should have taken it.

I'm on record saying I like Vicente Padilla's approach to hitters that celebrate too much.

I expect this to bubble over to Sunday with attempts to get Valdez to overreact emotionally.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
The saying, "Act like you've been there," applies here. Not with pimping the homer but, if it was intentional, Maldonado did a great job of getting in Garcia's head and then deny, deny, deny. It doesn't make sense for the plunk to be intentional but if it was, Houston got the reaction they were looking for. Abreu was done and if he gets suspended, oh well He's a relief pitcher (one of their best) and you've got a bullpen full of arms. If Garcia gets suspended, you don't have to deal with him again this series.

I don't think it was intentional but I wouldn't put it past those guys.
Double Talkin' Jive...
kyledr04
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

The saying, "Act like you've been there," applies here. Not with pimping the homer but, if it was intentional, Maldonado did a great job of getting in Garcia's head and then deny, deny, deny. It doesn't make sense for the plunk to be intentional but if it was....

Exactly. That was the opportunity to put it away with runners on instead of turning it into a circus.
Coppell97
AG
Coppell97
AG
And yet the cure is go win game 6. The season is not over yet.
Proposition Joe
It was intentional, only question is was it just meant as a brush back.

But ultimately much ado about nothing. Taveras moved runner over and our next two guys couldn't get him in. We have seen that all year. Yeah the long wait might have impacted Leclerc - but again we've seen this bullpen be shaky all year. Silly to act like Leclerc has been anything close to a shutdown arm.

We walk too many batters. Simple as that. Altuve beats you? He's a future HOFer. Singleton was batting .165 ON THE SEASON. And we walked him.

Had Janikowski gotten up in the 9th I would have agreed Garcia blew it... but that didn't happen. Our bullpen blew it, again.
Coppell97
AG
Well said.
Grapesoda2525
Proposition Joe said:

It was intentional, only question is was it just meant as a brush back.

But ultimately much ado about nothing. Taveras moved runner over and our next two guys couldn't get him in. We have seen that all year. Yeah the long wait might have impacted Leclerc - but again we've seen this bullpen be shaky all year. Silly to act like Leclerc has been anything close to a shutdown arm.

We walk too many batters. Simple as that. Altuve beats you? He's a future HOFer. Singleton was batting .165 ON THE SEASON. And we walked him.

Had Janikowski gotten up in the 9th I would have agreed Garcia blew it... but that didn't happen. Our bullpen blew it, again.

How many walks have the Astros got and then seen them come around to score at our park over the last 3 games?

Probably accounts for at least 10 of their runs,
94chem
I guess the most logical conclusion was that it was intentional, but it didn't come from the bench. I don't even know if Texas would have their A arms in the game there, but if you're Houston, knowing about the Rangers' pen, you do everything to keep the game close. That said, no way Dusty wanted his best reliever to plunk somebody. I do think Abreu did it on his own, though. I guess he might really be that dumb. I doubt Dusty wants to know the truth. He'd be even madder about it.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Proposition Joe
I think everyone talks about how it doesn't make sense in the spot of the game and forget it's a bunch of macho athletes.

It's no different than the stupid hard foul you see late in basketball games. Players let their emotions and bravado get the best of them all the time.

Just watch the pitch - that ball didn't get away from him.

But again, didn't really matter.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

How many walks have the Astros got and then seen them come around to score at our park over the last 3 games?

The broadcast last night said there were 10BB+2HBP in G3+G4 and 7 of them scored. So, out of the 18Rs... 7.

Game 4:
T4: Maldonado and Altuve walked to start the inning. Both scored.

T7: Abreu led off with a W. Scored.

Game 5... Bregman and Singleton were 2 of the 4 BBs and both of them scored.

So, for the 3 games, of the 16 free passes (BB+HBP) they accounted for 9 of the 23 Runs.
Nagler
AG
Coppell97 said:

As a Rangers fan living in Houston, I'll say it wasn't as bad as 2011 (I'm not sure anything in sports can be that bad) but it was close.

So close. So damn close.
94chem
You have to attack the zone on 0-2 and 1-2. The chase looks nice when it works, but walks always hurt even when they don't score. Cycling through the order an extra time is a killer, especially when you do it 4 times in a 7 game series. Rangers did the same thing in 2011.
94chem,
Mozart Paintings
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

The broadcast last night said there were 10BB+2HBP in G3+G4 and 7 of them scored. So, out of the 18Rs... 7.

Game 4:
T4: Maldonado and Altuve walked to start the inning. Both scored.

T7: Abreu led off with a W. Scored.

Game 5... Bregman and Singleton were 2 of the 4 BBs and both of them scored.

So, for the 3 games, of the 16 free passes (BB+HBP) they accounted for 9 of the 23 Runs.

Quincey P. Morris
AG
I keep hearing it makes no sense too. And yet, it fired up a team that had gone completely fat and then made the comeback. It's annoying that Garcia fell into it and I think it's plenty telling that he turned around and went straight at Maldonado.
First Page Last Page
Page 869 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.