*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,360,851 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
vander54
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Scherzer says he's ready to go. Anyone have insights on what CW says?
World's worst proofreader
Mr Gigem
AG
Proposition Joe said:

investorAg83 said:

Kind of random question but had an Astro fan mention some controversy around Hurricane Harvey and us refusing to switch home and home dates…a Google search confirms it but I don't remember any of it. Did JD give any other reason other than being concerned about season ticket holders??

Astros wanted to swap their series which was 3 days away with the series Texas had at home in late September.

Texas said they were happy to host and give 100% of the gate to Houston, but trying to tell a bunch of ticket holders who had tickets for a near sold out series late September "actually those games are now in a few days" wasn't logistically possible. And that's ignoring it's basically trading a home series the last week of the season in a potential pennant race, which also would have caused a 12-game road trip in the last 2 weeks of the season.

Ironically Reid and the franchise showed their true colors as rather than take 100% of the gate and a much shorter trip for a 3-game series in Arlington, they opted to play the game 1000+ miles East in Tampa Bay at a "neutral field".

So while finding it unfathomable that Texas wouldn't want to put themselves at a disadvantage in a pennant race, Houston opted to take the exact same approach and decline playing closer to home -- giving up well over $500K in gate revenue they would have received from the series in Texas that could have gone to Harvey victims.

And the went to the press and framed it as "Rangers don't care about hurricane victims"... Apparently neither did the Astros.

This is exactly right. But I suspect some Astros "fans" won't see it that way

Rangers Foundation also donated $1million to relief
Danny Vermin
Dude, have you not seen urban cowboy or are you too young?

That's John Travolta btw
beagle2009
AG
vander54 said:

Scherzer says he's ready to go. Anyone have insights on what CW says?

Bochy was on The Ticket this morning and stopped just short of confirming his availability. He said he likes to inform the pitchers first before making a public announcement, so clearly Max will be back.
vander54
S
Danny Vermin said:

That's John Travolta btw

I think he knows that. He's say switch JR for Walker Texas Ranger.
World's worst proofreader
Chipotlemonger
AG
Great write up. You can ignore any Astros fan that grasps onto that whole episode, they tend to be the unhinged ones.
Baby Billy
AG
I'm assuming Scherzer will pitch on Wednesday
investorAg83
AG
Danny Vermin said:

That's John Travolta btw

Do you not know who JR is?? Or are you too young??
94chem
Chipotlemonger said:

Great write up. You can ignore any Astros fan that grasps onto that whole episode, they tend to be the unhinged ones.

Yep. Rangers did nothing wrong there, but Astros management decided to try the Rangers in the Houston media, knowing full well they could bend the story to make Texas look bad in light of a hurting city. As a Rangers fan with a flooded house, I thought Texas management acted responsibly, and playing at the neutral site probably made the most sense. I had long since forgotten the details, though, because it was a big nothingburger. Playing at the neutral site was ultimately a reasonable business compromise between professionals, but Houston chose to pander to an emotionally fragile populace.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
gigem1223
Looks like we're going with the same rotation.

Game 1: Monty
Game 2: Evo
Game 3: combo of Scherzer/ Gray or Heaney/ Dunning
Game 4: combo of Heaney/ Dunning or Scherzer/ Gray
94chem
...and a few more words about the whole tanking scheme. During those years, the Astros weren't on tv in Houston, either, unless you had Comcast. I THOUGHT, even with a terrible team, that little kids still need to see the Astros, and not being on tv put them out of peoples' minds. Baseball is a sport you learn as a child, or you'll probably never love it. You can't just introduce it to a 12 year old easily. So I assumed that Houston would lose a lot of fans in the long term as a generation grew up without baseball.

I was WRONG. When Houston started winning, they won so big that people couldn't help but be fans. All those kids that had missed years of baseball were now huge fans. That's fine, but the problem is that too many of them are insufferably ignorant, like the 18 year olds who've never watched a football game until they got to campus, but scream their lungs out from the top of the 3rd deck to fire Jimbo, etc.

If you can talk about Joe Morgan, Jose Cruz, Mike Scott, and the Killer B's, that's awesome. A lifelong connection to the home team is a wonderful gift, especially from a father to a son.

Oh, and because I'm from Fort Worth, I don't care for Dallas much either. For the record.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
DallasAg 94
ChipFTAC01 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

This is more like the Asstros

And if you look closely... you can see their replica World Series ring.

Not having gone to a lot of honky Tonks in the 80s, I always thought that Wes Hightower's mesh shirt seemed a bit out of place for 1980 Pasadena, but maybe that's how things just were.
As someone who lived in rural Texas in the '80s... I thought his mesh shirt was normal for us rednecks.
KT 90
AG
gigem1223 said:

Looks like we're going with the same rotation.

Game 1: Monty
Game 2: Evo
Game 3: combo of Scherzer/ Gray or Heaney/ Dunning
Game 4: combo of Heaney/ Dunning or Scherzer/ Gray

Evan mentions various pitching possibles for the ALCS, but no mention of Gray. Kind of makes me think Gray may not be available. We'll see.

gigem1223
I'd be good with no Gray. Haven't had faith in him since June. Bradford pitched great against the O's. He could probably pick up a few innings if scherzer makes a start.
94chem
gigem1223 said:

I'd be good with no Gray. Haven't had faith in him since June. Bradford pitched great against the O's. He could probably pick up a few innings if scherzer makes a start.

I'd be okay with Perez in the 8th inning role. He throws strikes and gets grounders.
94chem,
alvtimes
the best part about about the astros fans constantly running over here to the Rangers thread…. win lose or draw….. they still have to live in the ****hole that is houston! Congrats ****ers!!!!
94chem
alvtimes said:

the best part about about the astros fans constantly running over here to the Rangers thread…. win lose or draw….. they still have to live in the ****hole that is houston! Congrats ****ers!!!!

That hurts. Sure, it's the hottest place in the US, but it's paid my bills for 25 years, and MD Anderson and Texas Children's Hospital have been there for my family.

And we bought a beach house in Bolivar a few years ago. If any of y'all are looking for a discounted rental, send me an email. Houston has some interesting things, even if it's not on anybody's destination list. I saw some 35 lb redfish on the Fish Bolivar FB page yesterday.

Atm94unc98 at the google
94chem,
BassCowboy33
94chem said:

alvtimes said:

That hurts. Sure, it's the hottest place in the US, but it's paid my bills for 25 years, and MD Anderson and Texas Children's Hospital have been there for my family.

And we bought a beach house in Bolivar a few years ago. If any of y'all are looking for a discounted rental, send me an email. Houston has some interesting things, even if it's not on anybody's destination list. I saw some 35 lb redfish on the Fish Bolivar FB page yesterday.

Atm94unc98 at the google
Used to fish off ships near Bolivar Roads. Good times.

GigEmRangers75455
Heading to Houston tomorrow morning from Mount Pleasant. Wife and I will be yelling for our Rangers. BTHO western Louisiana!
BenFiasco14
AG
GigEmRangers75455 said:

Heading to Houston tomorrow morning from Mount Pleasant. Wife and I will be yelling for our Rangers. BTHO western Louisiana!

That reminds me. One of my good buddies calls us south Oklahoma. So what a matchup. South Oklahoma versus western Louisiana
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
agent-maroon
AG
I know the coonazz have their problems, but the astros are their closest MLB team. Why are we suddenly insulting Louisiana like that?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PatriotAg02
AG
Ok this break is too long. It's f'n time for baseball!
Quincey P. Morris
AG

Sorry if this tweet was already posted. It amused me though.
Coppell97
AG
gibby03
AG
Obviously not 100% true but probably pretty damn accurate.
PatriotAg02
AG
Coppell97 said:

Yep the whole nation will be behind us.
OKCAg2002
AG
Anyone have any thoughts on SRO at Globe Life? Where would you stand, and what kinds of views do you have? I may come with my 6'0" 15 year old for game 4.
GigEmRangers75455
OKCAg2002 said:

Anyone have any thoughts on SRO at Globe Life? Where would you stand, and what kinds of views do you have? I may come with my 6'0" 15 year old for game 4.

Probably left field and center field deck areas. I'd get there as early as you can for SRO since it's first come first serve.
fc2112
There is SRO reserved spaces behind the 100 sections, all the way around the stadium. I don't know how they'll enforce that for a sell out, but you can dang near get behind home plate.

Seriously, if the Rangers have a chance to clinch in Game 4 or 5, this is what I wlil do.
Eso si, Que es
Deleted, not trash talking thread, my bad
LeagueCityAg
AG
94chem said:

alvtimes said:

Atm94unc98 at the google
Houston is a fine place to live, but the sports fans are awful. Go Rangers!
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Texas Rangers are undefeated in playoff games during weeks following Aggie football losses this year

(Bear with me here guys)
KT 90
AG
Michael Cera Palin said:

Texas Rangers are undefeated in playoff games during weeks following Aggie football losses this year

(Bear with me here guys)

Silver lining... I like it! Woof, Aggie football is hard to watch these days.

Mozart Paintings
AG
Michael Cera Palin said:

(Bear with me here guys)

They are also undefeated in playoff games following wins (Arkansas).
Water Boy
AG
It's nice to have rangers baseball since aggie football is a let down this season as usual!
First Page Last Page
Page 743 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.