*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,391,068 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
MrCoachEricTaylor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone heard anything yet to confirm us getting to use Carter for the post season?
GreasenUSA
AG
agent-maroon said:

Wait... why do we want Arizona to lose? Trying to keep up

We want Arizona to lose and Cubs and Marlins to win. Need Arizona to keep having to work all the way through 162.
caleblyn
This end-of-season stuff is much more fun when the Rangers are involved!

I say we do this every year from here on out!
agent-maroon
AG
Teaser for DMN article from yesterday says:

"Evan Carter, who wasn't added to the 40-man roster until eight days later IS, in fact, eligible."

The rest is behind a paywall.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MrCoachEricTaylor
agent-maroon said:

Teaser for DMN article from yesterday says:

"Evan Carter, who wasn't added to the 40-man roster until eight days later IS, in fact, eligible."

The rest is behind a paywall.

That works for me lol
Danny Vermin
F that. We would have won the division by 10 games already if we had a better bullpen. I want that next year. It's our time and the cheaters need to be fight for a wildcard for the next few years.
aggietony2010
AG
It's the reasoning we've seen on this thread. We need a position player who has been on the IL and is eligible for activation (served their time). Brad Miller becomes that guy on October 1st.

The one thing we couldn't confirm was how subjective the "petition" process was. Evan Grant confirmed it's essentially just a "fill out this paperwork" formality.
agent-maroon
AG
I really want to read the rationale & rules explanation, but I made a vow to never give them another penny.

Also found a CBS Sports article from Sept 7 that says he's eligible "because he was already in the organization" whatever that means. This article actually has the explanation but I'm looking at the article on a laptop and my cell cut/paste skills are lacking...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MrCoachEricTaylor
aggietony2010 said:

It's the reasoning we've seen on this thread. We need a position player who has been on the IL and is eligible for activation (served their time). Brad Miller becomes that guy on October 1st.

The one thing we couldn't confirm was how subjective the "petition" process was. Evan Grant confirmed it's essentially just a "fill out this paperwork" formality.

Nice. I just know when it comes to anything with the comish's office, I hate holding my breath. Glad to hear though.
MrCoachEricTaylor
agent-maroon said:

I really want to read the rationale & rules explanation, but I made a vow to never give them another penny.

Also found a CBS Sports article from Sept 7 that says he's eligible "because he was already in the organization" whatever that means. This article actually has the explanation but I'm looking at a laptop and my cell cut/paste skills are lacking...

I knew he met the general parameters, but wouldn't have been surprised with the league investigating the Miller injury or something.
Mozart Paintings
AG
Download the SportsDay App and you can read the sports articles for free. That article you referenced included
Proposition Joe
He is "eligible" via petition.

Which historically is just a rubber stamp if handled properly.
fc2112
Free with the Sports Day app

Quote:

ANAHEIM, Calif. - A sure sign of playoff fever: Explaining archaic baseball roster rules.

Like this: Though MLB's handbook specifically states that players must be on a team's 40-man roster by 11:59 p.m. ET on Aug. 31 to be eligible for a postseason roster, Evan Carter, who wasn't added to the 40-man roster until eight days later IS, in fact, eligible.

How can that be?

Well, the easiest way to work through all this is to understand that MLB rules were made for loopholes. The real governor is not whether the player is on the 40-man roster by Aug. 31, but if the player is in the organization.

According to the rule book: "A player who doesn't meet said criteria for postseason eligibility can still be added to a team's roster in the postseason via petition to the Commissioner's Office if the player was in the organization on Aug. 31 and is replacing someone who is on the injured list and has served the minimum amount of time required for activation."

The "petition," basically means filing paperwork. But here's how teams manipulate the rule: Payers who are on the IL and won't be available for a series or all of the postseason are included in a team's playoff pool. The team then decides to replace that player with somebody who they'd like to add to the playoff pool. The one caveat is that a position player must be replaced with a position player and a pitcher with a pitcher. The Rangers currently have six players on the 10-, 15- or 60-day IL: Brett Martin, Jake Odorizzi, Ian Kennedy, Jacob deGrom, Max Scherzer and Brad Miller. Miller is the only position player among that group.

In the case of Carter, the Rangers would merely file with the league that they are replacing Miller, currently on the 60-day IL, with Carter. Carter, who has become the Rangers' regular left fielder against right-handed pitching, would then be eligible.

fc2112
Kansas City getting swept by Detroit after sweeping Houston. So awesome.
Grapesoda2525
fc2112 said:

Love it. They can prop their feet up and lose every game the rest of the season 20-0 for all I care. There are some Texas ranger ties on that team with Cole Ragans being the ace of their pitching staff and Bobby Witt jr being their best player.

I'm sure Bobby Witt jr grew up rooting for the rangers just like the rest of us.
PatriotAg02
AG
fc2112 said:

They did their job now they are fading into the sunset.......
double aught
AG
Like a true hero.
Mr Gigem
AG

double aught
AG
Roger Kint
94chem
Grapesoda2525 said:

fc2112 said:

I'm sure Bobby Witt jr grew up yelling at his dad to throw strikes just like the rest of us.

Fify.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
GreasenUSA said:

agent-maroon said:

Wait... why do we want Arizona to lose? Trying to keep up

We want Arizona to lose and Cubs and Marlins to win. Need Arizona to keep having to work all the way through 162.

Nice gift from the CHIsox today. AL central cellar dwellers carrying a lot of water this week.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
KT 90
AG
Angel Hernandez doing what he does best:

Mr Gigem
AG
FDXAg
AG
Mr Gigem said:

That right there should get Angel Hernandez fired and banned from every umpiring another another baseball game. That is awful

Serious question.... How does this guy still have a job with all the horrific calls and controversies surrounding him???
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

Serious question.... How does this guy still have a job with all the horrific calls and controversies surrounding him???
Threats of lawsuits for racism and a union...
Mr Gigem
AG
Mr Gigem
AG
agent-maroon
AG
Mr Gigem said:

There is a mountain of evidence showing his total ineptitude
Oh, I know about the incompetence and at least two failed lawsuits. But how else can you explain it? There isn't a person outside of his union that has ever watched watched/played over an inning of baseball that would defend his calls.
KT 90
AG
Regular lineup now when facing RHP:

DeangeloVickers
AG
Vegas has Seattle favored -115 (close to pickem)
KT 90
AG

Mr Gigem
AG
KT 90
AG
And the Asstros are in damage control mode already:

AggieKatie2
AG
Angel is the poster child for why unions are a bad thing
First Page Last Page
Page 623 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.