*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,393,972 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
Slackjaw62
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DallasAg 94 said:

aggietony2010 said:

Are the Twins too far back to steal the #2 seed? Quick math tells me they'd need the West to essentially all finish tied at 72 losses and win a tiebreaker, so any loss would rule that out.
Mathematically possible and they have the schedule for it, but that's a lot of Ws.
Fangraphs has them at less than a 1% chance of the 2 seed. As the Mariners only play Houston and Texas the rest of the way, they cannot make up ground on all three teams simultaneously.

Moreover, the Twins highest paid players (Correa, Buxton) and best player (Royce Lewis) are all on the IL.
The Artist Formerly Known as Yokel
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

I thought they moved him to the 60IL right about that time.. Likely retro-activr?!

I need to go back and look at dates.

Looks.like he was place on 10-day on 8/2 and then 60-day on 9/8.

If they make the 60-day retroactive, that should clear the hurdle. 60 days from 8/2 is 9/30 or maybe 10/1. Not sure if the count starts on 8/2 or 8/3.
Double Talkin' Jive...
aggietony2010
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

DallasAg 94 said:

I thought they moved him to the 60IL right about that time.. Likely retro-activr?!

I need to go back and look at dates.

Looks.like he was place on 10-day on 8/2 and then 60-day on 9/8.

If they make the 60-day retroactive, that should clear the hurdle. 60 days from 8/2 is 9/30.

Yep, there's a reason they moved him back to the IL on August 2nd. It's the last day you can be moved there and serve 60 days before the end of the season.

So I guess we can't technically petition until 9/30, 10/1, but it should be good then.
fc2112
Experience seems to be they are pretty liberal with substitutions. I remember the Yankees doing whole scale changes each series back in 2011-2012.
94chem
And in today's "why are you telling me about the Padres" update, they won their 8th game in a row. Still 4 back of the Cubs, who have 3 against MIL and ATL remaining. Their POFF% has climbed from 0.1 to 1.1% in the past week. The Cubs own the tiebreaker, so it's really 5 games back with 9 to play, and 3 other teams in between. Do I care? No. Do I find it interesting? Yes.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
fc2112
Heaney has 9 1/3 to go for $8 MM.
aggiefan09
AG
fc2112 said:

1 and 1/3 innings every game the next week.
fc2112
12D chess

vander54
S
fc2112 said:

I'm going to be mad if he doesn't get there.
World's worst proofreader
Grapesoda2525
fc2112 said:

12D chess

Go back and look. I was talking about Ragans shutting the Astros down and helping us gain ground about a month ago…. and it actually happened.
agent-maroon
AG
Good call!

True or not, the idea that we made a trade with a bottom feeder to sink the astros is absolutely hilarious to me. Either way it's a solid troll
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DallasAg 94
fc2112 said:

Experience seems to be they are pretty liberal with substitutions. I remember the Yankees doing whole scale changes each series back in 2011-2012.

I'll have to go back, but we may be talking 2 different things.

During a playoff series you can change your 25/26 that are active to play for that series, but the players have to be on the 40 and eligible for the playoffs.

Once the series starts, your active roster can only change due to injury, and you can only use eligible players.

I don't know if once a player is removed during playoff series due to injury, if they'd be eligible for the next series.... but we're getting into the weeds.
Proposition Joe
Yeah, two different things. One is the overall playoff eligibility roster, another is the 25 for each series.

And while the Brad Miller to the IL move seems to fit the criteria needed, it's still a petition we have to file with MLB which means there's still a chance we could get bent over the barrel. I trust CY has made sure everything is in order though.

The bullpen still sucks, and any night this rotation could **** the bed... but a lineup that has Carter and Jung working counts, Heim hitting with power again, Garcia seeing more pitches, Taveras seeming to have refound his stroke, and Semien and Seager doing what they do... That's a lineup that can put up 5+ every night.

I like our chances against anyone in a series. I just don't think we're consistent enough to actually win two series in a row.
fc2112
I thought anyone on the active roster for the post season had to be on the 40 man on August 31?

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/postseason-roster-rules-eligibility

Quote:

In a typical season, any player who is on the 40-man roster or 60-day injured list as of 11:59 p.m. ET on Aug. 31 is eligible for the postseason.

A player who doesn't meet said criteria for postseason eligibility can still be added to a team's roster in the postseason via petition to the Commissioner's Office if the player was in the organization on Aug. 31 and is replacing someone who is on the injured list and has served the minimum amount of time required for activation. (For example, a player on the 10-day injured list who has been on it for at least 10 days, or a player who has been on the 60-day injured list for at least 60 days..
94chem
aggiefan09 said:

fc2112 said:

1 and 1/3 innings every game the next week.

He'll throw a 74 pitch no-no on the final day of the season in a 0-0 game with 20K's, and Bochy will bring in Smith for the 10th.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Proposition Joe
fc2112 said:

I thought anyone on the active roster for the post season had to be on the 40 man on August 31?

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/postseason-roster-rules-eligibility

Quote:

In a typical season, any player who is on the 40-man roster or 60-day injured list as of 11:59 p.m. ET on Aug. 31 is eligible for the postseason.

A player who doesn't meet said criteria for postseason eligibility can still be added to a team's roster in the postseason via petition to the Commissioner's Office if the player was in the organization on Aug. 31 and is replacing someone who is on the injured list and has served the minimum amount of time required for activation. (For example, a player on the 10-day injured list who has been on it for at least 10 days, or a player who has been on the 60-day injured list for at least 60 days..

Yes, that is what we're discussing. Evan Carter took Brad Miller's places on the 40 man which would make him eligible via petition once Miller has passed the 60-day IL mark (October). Rangers will still have to petition, but the thought is it should be approved since it has been in the past for other clubs.
DallasAg 94
vander54 said:

fc2112 said:

I'm going to be mad if he doesn't get there.
I assume playoffs count, so there is that. And it is $7M. He has a $13M player option for 2024 that can vest to $20M based on 150IP.

I think the spirit of the payoff was to give him a bonus if he reached 150, something he has only hit once. He has remained healthy and been relatively successful (27GS, 31G, 4.35) for a guy making $13M.

I think the spirit of the team from the top (Bochy/CYoung) is the culture to do whatever is needed to win. Sure, there is Player-Speak and Coach-Speak that says, "I'll do whatever I have to to help the team win."

I mentioned when we got Chapman that the sentiment between Chapman and Smith being named Closer was that both cared more about winning than being "Closer." Granted the season has exposed both.

Perez is another example. Bochy this week talked about Perez. We've talked about it. Moving Perez to the bullpen could have made him pissy. Instead, the performance has been that he has played the role and stepped up. Asked this week, Bochy basically said Perez was willing to do whatever was asked of him.

Going back to Heaney... Heaney was moved to the bullpen knowing he had $7M reasons to NOT want to move to the bullpen. He didn't have a choice, but he did have a choice in how he responded. He hasn't done well from the bullpen, but I'm hoping he is still transitioning to what role he has from there.

I think it would really hurt the culture of what CYoung is trying to build if Heaney fell short as close as he will be and didn't vest. He would likely opt out. Even if he vests, he'd be 1yr/$20M @ 33.

His splits this season:
1H: 17GS, 4.71 ERA, 86.0 IP
2H: 10GS, 14G, 3.79 ERA, 54.2 IP

His agent likely explores 3+yr deals with other teams before he takes the 1yr for Texas. I've mentioned before, I could also see the Rangers paying a portion of the $20M and trading him.

Hopefully we don't have to find out.
hawk1689
AG
Does anybody know if Brad Miller is getting railroaded in all of this? Is he still injured?
DallasAg 94
hawk1689 said:

Does anybody know if Brad Miller is getting railroaded in all of this? Is he still injured?
He was sent to AAA (maybe AA) for a rehab about the time they moved him to the 60. Not sure if the rehab went poorly, or was a decision made at a higher level.

Jankowski was on the Radio last week. I mentioned Miller's name got brought up. They asked Jankowski (who was a great interview, btw) if he (Jankowski) was the butt-slapping encourage leader of the team. He said, "No, that's definitely Brad Miller." Jankowski said the he was in the Top 5, but that Brad was at the top.

I don't know personally, but Miller is supposed to be a great clubhouse glue. Guys like that usually know their role which plays into the culture. He gets paid and hopefully feels his contributions off the field are valued.
94chem
Miller is doing his best service, injured or not.
94chem,
Danny Vermin
This was discussed many, many pages ago. Miller is the glue clubhouse guy .I talked to my buddy ,who played for the Rangers back in the day , and he said how important those guys are for team moral. I hope Miller joins the staff at some point.
double aught
AG
Aggies win! Need the Rangers to come through tonight for a flawless Saturday.
Grapesoda2525
double aught said:

Aggies win! Need the Rangers to come through tonight for a flawless Saturday.
Baylor bears win

Astros lose

Toronto blue jays lose

That would be a true flawless Saturday.
double aught
AG
Absolutely. But I don't wanna get greedy.
AggieEP
Lol, I was checking the stats because I was curious, in 37 at bats Evan Carter has the same WAR that Grossman and Jankowski do COMBINED in almost 600 at bats.

It's definitely added a bit of a spark to this team and I'm glad Carter is playing well enough that Bochy hasn't really been able to take him off the field. If he can get the K rate under control, he looks like an absolute star. Imagining Carter and Langford patrolling the outfield for the next 10 plus years makes me think good years are ahead.
KT 90
AG

Danny Vermin
Boch ain't f'n around with that lineup. Unlike our white trash brethren in Houston who complains daily about bakers lineups.
Super Aggie 64
AG
If anyone wants to sell an Adolis Garcia bobblehead from the game today or trade it for a Nolan Ryan bobblehead from last month, let me know.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I'm other games today, Tampa and Toronto are tied 2-2 in top 8. Tampa just to loaded the bases with Blue Jays due to two walks and a HBP with 2 outs.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Mr Gigem
AG
Wow horrendous baserunning by Julio. What was he thinking? Thanks for that
94chem
TB with huge walkoff
94chem,
aggietony2010
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I'm other games today, Tampa and Toronto are tied 2-2 in top 8. Tampa just to loaded the bases with Blue Jays due to two walks and a HBP with 2 outs.

Tampa pulls it out in the 9th
DeangeloVickers
AG
College football rangers....my remote batteries are gonna go out
Mr Gigem
AG
Throw strikes
KT 90
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

College football rangers....my remote batteries are gonna go out
It's a good problem to have! Lot of good games today. Plus we had two baseball games for my kid today, the ONE time I am happy to have the early 8AM game . We got game 1 in and part of game 2 in before the Ags kicked off. Got home in time for the second half.

First Page Last Page
Page 597 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.