*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,395,494 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
KT 90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DallasAg 94
Mike Adams was quoted as saying he discussed with JD a contract and JD basically said he doesn't sign BP arms to multi-year contracts. He'll trade for a RP already under contract.

A couple months ago the Radio posed the question that with CYoung having worked with JD... it remains to be seen if CYoung would deviate from that position.

Our FAs this off-season will be:
Will Smith
Chapman
Stratton
Ian Kennedy
Hedges

That will leave
LeClerc - Option year
Hernandez, Brock, Sborz - Arbs
Bradford, Latz - Serfs
Danny Vermin
I'm surprised he admits to still having nuts. I fully expect him in a dress and wig someday.
DallasAg 94
I think from a BP perspective it is really hard to judge how the pitch clock, the 3 batter minimum, and the ghost runner in extra innings, will impact how teams piece together a bullpen.

You're already taking a shaky pitcher and putting them in difficult situations.
Danny Vermin
It's hard to admit but we weren't supposed to be contenders this year. I realize it changed after our hot start but it's still true. I won't be saying that next year as I've are expected to make the playoffs for sure. I fully expect CY to fix the bullpen in the offseason.
DallasAg 94
Jankowski was on the Radio, today. He was actually pretty funny.

They asked if he led the team in butt-slapping motivational talk and he said he was probably Top 5, but that Brad Miller was the definite leader.

Asked whether he looks at Scherzer's Brown eye or Blue eye, he said on days he pitches definitely the Brown eye. Serious and intentional but on the other days, he looks at the fun joking Blue eye.

Asked if the country music ban in the clubhouse was only on days Scherzer pitches. He said he liked country music, but hadn't thought about it... then realized it has been awhile since they've played country music and that it looks like it ended all together with Scherzer. Mentioned they could still play it in the Cages. Also said it was a worthwhile trade.

Said the clubhouse was still pretty loose.
South Platte
DallasAg 94 said:

Mike Adams was quoted as saying he discussed with JD a contract and JD basically said he doesn't sign BP arms to multi-year contracts. He'll trade for a RP already under contract.

A couple months ago the Radio posed the question that with CYoung having worked with JD... it remains to be seen if CYoung would deviate from that position.

Our FAs this off-season will be:
Will Smith
Chapman
Stratton
Ian Kennedy
Hedges

That will leave
LeClerc - Option year
Hernandez, Brock, Sborz - Arbs
Bradford, Latz - Serfs
Wonderful, you included Hedges in an evaluation of bullpen free agents.

We're up to our eyeballs in garbage looking at that list. Maybe Stratton, maybe LeClerq.
South Platte
DallasAg 94 said:

I think from a BP perspective it is really hard to judge how the pitch clock, the 3 batter minimum, and the ghost runner in extra innings, will impact how teams piece together a bullpen.

You're already taking a shaky pitcher and putting them in difficult situations.
I think you can include outlawing the shift as well.
DallasAg 94
Ragans was a SP whom they tried to adapt to the BP in order to get him pitches and IMO, it was a failure. His SP success in KC was likely a function of moving back to SP, IMO.

Sborz has coasted along strong... then a hiccup occurred followed by an IL stint. The question is, if healthy, can he be a viable RP.

Bradford is another guy who showed promise as a SP. I think he still has some to work on, but likely not a RP.

Burke has has his moments.

Hoping that another season of maturity at a very lowe cost (serf/Arb) will give us some pieces out of that group. **fingers crossed**
DallasAg 94
94chem
Danny Vermin said:

It's hard to admit but we weren't supposed to be contenders this year. I realize it changed after our hot start but it's still true. I won't be saying that next year as I've are expected to make the playoffs for sure. I fully expect CY to fix the bullpen in the offseason.

I don't really understand this take, and I've seen it numerous times. It was pretty clear last season that the Rangers were very close to being good, and if you didn't see it coming, you weren't really paying attention. I expected them to be a wild card team before the season started, and basically thought the national media was just being lazy by not paying attention either. Management thought they were ready as well; you don't spend that kind of money otherwise. The bullpen from day 1 has been a total failure, and playing the "we're ahead of schedule" card is no different from saying "she wasn't that hot anyway." This team should have competed, did compete, and failed spectacularly at the most critical component of playoff baseball.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
rbtexan
S

Quote:

The question is, if healthy, can he be a viable RP.
In 5 seasons (ish), Josh Sborz is 10-11 with 5.18 ERA over 135 games. Opponents OPS against him is .736. His WAR is -0.9 (yes, that's negative 0.9). He turns 30 this December.

The answer is, no he cannot.
Jimbo Franchione
Flounder Dorfman
AG
rbtexan said:

Quote:

The question is, if healthy, can he be a viable RP.
In 5 seasons (ish), Josh Sborz is 10-11 with 5.18 ERA over 135 games. Opponents OPS against him is .736. His WAR is -0.9 (yes, that's negative 0.9). He turns 30 this December.

The answer is, no he cannot.

I don't want to see Sborz or Will Smith throw another pitch in a Rangers uniform.
rbtexan
S
As much as I'm not a fan of Sborz, it's really not personal. He's just the epitome of the type of pitcher the Rangers need to quit trotting out there - the "maybe he'll figure it out" guys.
Jimbo Franchione
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Not personal with me either. I'm just done with that experiment. Good luck to those guys as they pitch somewhere else.
South Platte
DallasAg 94 said:

Ragans was a SP whom they tried to adapt to the BP in order to get him pitches and IMO, it was a failure. His SP success in KC was likely a function of moving back to SP, IMO.

Sborz has coasted along strong... then a hiccup occurred followed by an IL stint. The question is, if healthy, can he be a viable RP.

Bradford is another guy who showed promise as a SP. I think he still has some to work on, but likely not a RP.

Burke has has his moments.

Hoping that another season of maturity at a very lowe cost (serf/Arb) will give us some pieces out of that group. **fingers crossed**
It's time to move past LHP relievers. Houston doesn't have a single LHP in their bullpen. Tampa has a couple, including Diekman, so unless you have a guy like that who slings it sidearm at 97, we don't need any LHP in the bullpen.

Bradford, Ragans, Montgomery, Smith. All cut from the same outdated mold.
fc2112
The brisket nachos at the Hurtardo stand are the best thing I've ever eaten at a sporting event.
Legal Custodian
AG
Pretty boring start so far
DeangeloVickers
AG
Our offense

DeangeloVickers
AG
GARCIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DeangeloVickers
AG
Nice play by Lowe...no broken fingers and only an out. shew
DeangeloVickers
AG
Poop
3 walks
2 singles

Losing 3-1
Grapesoda2525
Seems like we are worst in the league at walking guys then seeing them come around to score on us. That is a big reason why the Twinkies kicked our ass and almost won all 7 games against us.

Walks.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Seems like we are worst in the league at walking guys then seeing them come around to score on us. That is a big reason why the Twinkies kicked our ass and almost won all 7 games against us.

Walks.

I think all of our pitchers' arms are dead. That seems to be the only explanation.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Danny Vermin
I did my part as I took the red Sox in a parlay and I haven't had a win In a long time.

For the record the Astros and Mariners were the other two teams so hopefully the jinx happens.
fc2112
Evan Carter whiff rate still 13%, which would lead the league amongst qualifiers. He's the real deal.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Cmon big inning.
aggietony2010
AG
Just absolutely snakebit.
WestTexasAg
AG
Hard to believe this offense can't put up more runs.
TexasAggiesWin
S
Great AB by Adolis there
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Nice AB by Garcia.
Double Talkin' Jive...
TexasAggiesWin
S
Heim with another double, great running by Adolis, tie game
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Jonah Dirt!
Double Talkin' Jive...
KT 90
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Nice AB by Garcia.
followed by a rope from Heim to drive in Garcia.
MrCoachEricTaylor
fc2112 said:

The brisket nachos at the Hurtardo stand are the best thing I've ever eaten at a sporting event.

I say the same thing about their Birria tacos. They taste better than legit Birria tacos to me.
First Page Last Page
Page 581 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.