*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,393,042 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
Mr Gigem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oh I'm no slouch…

My menu was

Old fashioned
Whiskey sour
Gold Rush
Manhattan
Margarita
Martini, dirty or dry
New York sour, because just red wine is boring
Grapesoda2525
It should be pointed out that it's been awhile since we played a team that was cold or not locked in.

We caught Milwaukee at the worst time right before they started surging and crushing everyone, the diamondbacks got hot right when we came to town, and the Twinkies seemed to heat up when we played them as well. I know the other side of the equation is we were in a deep deep slump, but even the A's were playing well ( for them) look what they just did to the Astros.

The jays :

Bichette and Guerrero have done nothing this series. Springer has been limited to singles. The jays actually did us a favor by sitting Biggio tonight because he wore us out in the first 2 games. When I saw Montgomery was starting, I was crossing my fingers that they would sit Biggio against the lefty.

Getting Zac Gallen twice in 2 separate 2 game series against AZ was extremely bad luck.

We've also seen some heroic offensive outputs against us that probably wouldn't be repeated if we played those teams again.

Ohtani destroying us in Arlington, Royce Lewis in both Twinkie series, and Joey menses for the nationals.
Grapesoda2525
Strength of Remaining Schedule According to Opponents Winning Percentage

Tor. .548
Sea. .523
Tex. .514
Hou. .464

Things don't look as daunting now. I think a lot of people just assumed the jays were going to punch us in the balls. Even if we lose 15-0 tomorrow, we had a great series in Toronto.

We have games left against the "waiver warrior" guardians, the left out in the cold Red Sox, and the hapless angels. Would be nice if all 3 of them didn't feel like putting up much of a fight.
CampingAg
AG
Not to rain on the Wyatt Langford parade, I still think he's awesome. But take those HR in Amarillo with a grain of salt. Wife and I went to a game there on the way to Colorado and that place is a complete launching pad. We watched the last couple innings of game one and all of game two and there were probably 8 or 9 HR hit. Multiple were just pop flies that kept going and going and going.
J.P. 03
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Why am I getting a PM that my name is being brought up on the other thread? How sad and pathetic.

At some point you just need to make this your signature so they have a permanent reminder:

DallasAg 94
The game last night was what Championship teams do.

You find out your Ace SP is lost and you respond by everyone stepping up.

Montgomery had a spectacular performance. RP - Perez and Kennedy - Two guys relegated to also-ran status play the role the manager has given them, and they do exactly what needs to be done.

The Offense outperforms and you're getting contributions up and down the lineup. You get the lead to give your pitching some room. Your pitching replies with a shutdown inning.

And then you keep adding as the game goes on.

If there was any home town hope... you deliver the knockout with a 3R T9.
MrCoachEricTaylor
You know, it sure has been awhile since one of those nerds got lost and stumbled in here…
WestTexasAg
AG
CampingAg said:

Not to rain on the Wyatt Langford parade, I still think he's awesome. But take those HR in Amarillo with a grain of salt. Wife and I went to a game there on the way to Colorado and that place is a complete launching pad. We watched the last couple innings of game one and all of game two and there were probably 8 or 9 HR hit. Multiple were just pop flies that kept going and going and going.
Plus they are the Sod Poodles.....which is awesome.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Montgomery had a spectacular performance. RP - Perez and Kennedy - Two guys relegated to also-ran status play the role the manager has given them, and they do exactly what needs to be done.

The Offense outperforms and you're getting contributions up and down the lineup. You get the lead to give your pitching some room. Your pitching replies with a shutdown inning.

Evan Carter and……………Robbie Grossman of all people seem to be behind the latest surge. I know a few people troll me because I crapped on the Carter call up.

All I said was it was an extremely obvious and desperate move. I was just blowing off steam because of how mad I was about the injuries and overall performance of the team, it had little to do with Carter himself or his abilities. I was just disappointed that things were so bad with the team that it came to turning to Carter to try and save us.

we've gotten more production out of both Carter and Grossman that we probably would've out of "strikeout" Garcia. Let's face it……. The dude was a huge hole smack dab in the middle of the lineup and pitchers knew they could rely on him for an easy strikeout by just rearing back and throwing a fastball at him.
rbtexan
S
I've been blowing the prospect horn for Carter as long as anyone, I think he's going to be special and have for quite a while. That said, I too was not excited to see him called up so soon. I understand the "why" and he's done a great job since arriving, so maybe he's just one of those unique talents that rise to level of competition and he'll be a major leaguer from here on out.

I'm also not getting in front of my skis on it either, because the league will figure young Mr. Carter out in very short order, and it remains to be seen how well and how fast he'll be able to adjust once they do. Hopefully he'll be as impactful right now as I expected him to be in another year.
Jimbo Franchione
Grapesoda2525
rbtexan said:

I've been blowing the prospect horn for Carter as long as anyone, I think he's going to be special and have for quite a while. That said, I too was not excited to see him called up so soon. I understand the "why" and he's done a great job since arriving, so maybe he's just one of those unique talents that rise to level of competition and he'll be a major leaguer from here on out.

I'm also not getting in front of my skis on it either, because the league will figure young Mr. Carter out in very short order, and it remains to be seen how well and how fast he'll be able to adjust once they do. Hopefully he'll be as impactful right now as I expected him to be in another year.
The thing unique about Carter is he doesn't chase. It's not going to be as simple as when teams figured out you could get Duran out by throwing a million sliders down and away until he gets himself out.

Kikuchi struck him out with a nasty curveball or slider, but still I think it was a full count by then.
dave94
AG
So now we DON'T want Adolis to come back for the playoff run?
DeangeloVickers
AG
dave94 said:

So now we DON'T want Adolis to come back for the playoff run?
Who needs 34 HR 100 RBIs?!?!
Carlo4
AG
gigem1223 said:

Tksymm7 said:

Langford homered again.

Just a 1.234 OPS in frisco
Proposition Joe
Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Evan Carter and……………Robbie Grossman of all people seem to be behind the latest surge. I know a few people troll me because I crapped on the Carter call up.

All I said was it was an extremely obvious and desperate move. I was just blowing off steam because of how mad I was about the injuries and overall performance of the team, it had little to do with Carter himself or his abilities. I was just disappointed that things were so bad with the team that it came to turning to Carter to try and save us.

You don't have to explain yourself -- most of us have tuned out your ridiculously bad takes by now.
fc2112
Carter's chase rate is 12%.

Edouard Julien leads MLB in lowest chase rate for players with at least 100 PAs. His rate is 18.1%. Interestingly, Robbie Grossman is #2 at 18.7.

It's a small sample size for Carter, for sure. But before last night's game, he had only swung at two balls outside the strike zone and one of those he had a base hit on.
FTAco07
AG
This outfield is going to be awesome for a long time. Assuming Carter can figure out how to hit lefty's, he's going to be an amazing lead off hitter. Langford is an absolute dude and I expect him to be on the big club at some point early next year, maybe at the start of the season but before the all star break.

Carter
Simeon
Seager
Adolis
Jung
Langford
Heim
Lowe
TBD

That's an absolute murderers row of a lineup
Legal Custodian
AG
Any rumors on Jung? I know Bochy mentioned Cleveland as a possibility. I guess we'll hear something tomorrow?
Carlo4
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Any rumors on Jung? I know Bochy mentioned Cleveland as a possibility. I guess we'll hear something tomorrow?

TV broadcast last night said he is back in AZ working on simulated games and some last minute rehab. Said he would now be available when they return home after Cleveland.
Legal Custodian
AG
Thanks
gigem1223
Anyone heard what kind of PC Nate's going to be on tonight?
DallasAg 94
gigem1223 said:

Anyone heard what kind of PC Nate's going to be on tonight?
I haven't seen anything. They said after his 1st outing that he'd be limited to around 50. Which is what happened.

If I were to guess, they likely keep him in the 60PC range and maybe 4.0 IP.

If we can get him at 4.0 IP for the playoffs, I'd be tickled.

CYoung did confirm on the radio that SPs are on a short leash.
94chem
fc2112 said:

Carter's chase rate is 12%.

Edouard Julien leads MLB in lowest chase rate for players with at least 100 PAs. His rate is 18.1%. Interestingly, Robbie Grossman is #2 at 18.7.

It's a small sample size for Carter, for sure. But before last night's game, he had only swung at two balls outside the strike zone and one of those he had a base hit on.
He's been called out on strikes 3 times, I think. Every pitch was on the border of the zone.

The next step will be when pitchers can't get him to chase early, does he make them pay when they have to challenge him? If he's gonna lead-off with Semien in Seager behind him, he'll have to be able to crush a fastball in a fastball count, because he will see a truckload of them.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Legal Custodian
AG
After the Scherzer news:

Tksymm7
AG
Btw, Langford ended up homering TWICE last night; and say what you want about Amarillo and it being a launching pad, but he absolutely crushed both and would've gone out many places.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Legal Custodian
AG
Starting pitchers lost to season ending injuries or extended IL stays this year:

deGrom
Scherzer
Eovaldi
Odorizzi

Roughly 60 starts missed between the lot. Although I guess Odorizzi was probably bullpen bound before his injury, right?
South Platte
My dream scenario for the playoff run: Texas clinches a playoff spot, but Houston needs us to beat Seattle in Game 162 to qualify for the wild card. Bochy gives them the double-bird and starts Hedges and lets him go the distance. Seattle wins 39-2. Manfred smiles but sends a strongly-worded email.
gigem1223
gigem1223 said:

Tksymm7 said:

Langford homered again.

Just a 1.234 OPS in frisco

Make that a 1.374 OPS after last night
bmac_aggie18
AG
South Platte said:

My dream scenario for the playoff run: Texas clinches a playoff spot, but Houston needs us to beat Seattle in Game 162 to qualify for the wild card. Bochy gives them the double-bird and starts Hedges and lets him go the distance. Seattle wins 39-2. Manfred smiles but sends a strongly-worded email.

I laughed way too hard at this
Mr Gigem
AG
South Platte said:

DallasAg 94
He said "Dinger!" **snicker**
Legal Custodian
AG
So I had a quick look at the schedules remaining for all the teams within 2 games of the wildcard spot. I think the number to have a reasonable shot at the division is 11-6 and that would still require quite a bit of luck as the Astros would need to go 8-7 over their remaining 15 games. And with their schedule that would require quite a collapse from them with 6 still remaining with the Royals. But they did just lose a series to Oakland so I guess anything is possible.

Rangers (81-64) - 17 remaining games - 1@Tor, 3@Cle, 3vsBos, 3vsSEA, 3@LAA, 4@SEA
Astros (83-64) - 15 remaining games - 3@KC, 3vsBal, 3vsKC, 3@SEA, 3@AZ
Mariners (81-65) - 16 remaining games - 3vsLAD, 3@Oak, 3@Tex, 3vsHou, 4@Tex
Blue Jays (80-66) - 16 remaining games - 1vsTex, 3vsBos, 3@NYY, 3@TB, 3vsNYY, 3vsTB

If we go 11-6, these are the records the other teams will need to finish ahead of us:

Astros - 9-6 (they have the tiebreaker)
Mariners - 11-5 (12-4 if 2 of our 11 wins come against the Seattle, we currently hold the tiebreaker at 5-1)
Blue Jays - 13-3 (We have the tiebreaker)

So 11-6 to have a decent shot at the division due to the Astros remaining schedule. I think 9-8 would get us the last wildcard spot. The Jays would need to go 11-5 to pass us.

The Astros would have to go something stupid like 5-10 to miss out on the last wildcard. The one thing going against them is that the Mariners and the Blue Jays have the tiebreaker over them.
beagle2009
AG
Thank you for this breakdown!
Legal Custodian
AG
This is what I reasonably think will happen. Although the Ranger in me wants to see KC take 2 and a Baltimore sweep to at least make the last game or two interesting. But we put ourselves in this position with our play over the last month:

AL West
Houston - 93-69
Texas - 90-72 (tiebreaker over Seattle)
Seattle - 90-72

Toronto - 88-74

Houston:

5-1 vs KC
1-2 vs BAL
2-1 vs SEA
2-1 vs AZ

Texas:

1-0 vs TOR
1-2 vs CLE
2-1 vs BOS
3-4 vs SEA
2-1 vs LAA

Seattle:

1-2 vs LAD
3-0 vs OAK
4-3 vs TEX
1-2 vs HOU

Toronto:
0-1 vs TEX
2-1 vs BOS
4-2 vs NYY
2-4 vs TB
First Page Last Page
Page 569 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.