*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,381,801 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
agent-maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

fc2112 said:

Reeks of desperation to me. Sorry

Is "desperation" unwarranted after what we've witnessed the last month?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
hawk1689
AG
fc2112 said:

Evan Carter not officially on the 40 or 26 man yet.

He'll take Garcia's spot on the 26 - will be interesting to see how he fits on the 40. Zak Kent hasn't been very good this year - DFA him?

Jonathan Hernandez is 27 and can't break into the worst bullpen in baseball.

I, of course, have been calling for Brad Miller to be liquidated for some time.

+1 on Miller. Just what good is the locker room guy in a locker room that's on a 20 game skid?
Voice Of Reason 11
Grapesoda2525 said:

fc2112 said:

Reeks of desperation to me. Sorry

To be fair, we are desperate at this point and I think they're worse options than giving Carter a chance.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Just remember when we drafted this kid, didn't all the pundits make fun of the rangers like it was a throw away pick. Even people on this board were upset. He's going to be good
alvtimes
I thought it was a typical Rangers pick, but lets face it the Rangers arent known for being succesful in the draft in the past.
gigem1223
fc2112 said:

Evan Carter not officially on the 40 or 26 man yet.

He'll take Garcia's spot on the 26 - will be interesting to see how he fits on the 40. Zak Kent hasn't been very good this year - DFA him?

Jonathan Hernandez is 27 and can't break into the worst bullpen in baseball.

I, of course, have been calling for Brad Miller to be liquidated for some time.

Kent has been solid in round rock. 3.32 era/ 1.06 whip. Just 8 BB in 21 IP with a .190 avg against. I'm honestly surprised he hasn't gotten a shot in our bullpen yet.

AggieEP
I'd DFA Grossman, he's terrible and then Bochy wouldn't be tempted to platoon him with Carter.

At this point you want Carter to get as many ABs as possible and find out just what he can do. Shelving him against lefties will only delay his development if we want him to be the star he seems like he could be.
Dies Irae
Anybody watching the Braves vs Cardinals game? Check the ump report for Laz Dias Tomorrow. He's giving strikes in the other batter's box

Sorry meant to post this on the other thread but no trolling, check it out
gigem1223
AggieEP said:

I'd DFA Grossman, he's terrible and then Bochy wouldn't be tempted to platoon him with Carter.

At this point you want Carter to get as many ABs as possible and find out just what he can do. Shelving him against lefties will only delay his development if we want him to be the star he seems like he could be.

What?? Grossman is one our best hitters against LH pitching. He's terrible against righties though. You have to play him against lefties.

Vs LH - .908 OPS
Vs RH - .611 OPS
DallasAg 94
Jimmy McNulty said:

Just remember when we drafted this kid, didn't all the pundits make fun of the rangers like it was a throw away pick. Even people on this board were upset. He's going to be good
I'm still not sure if they actually knew what they were getting. I was very critical of this draft and Carter.

Because of Covid, there were many players who had no exposure for most of their HS.
hawk1689
AG
AggieEP said:

Well no. We're not out of it. We've just dug a giant hole for ourselves.
alvtimes
Didnt lose tonight. Baby steps after the last week!!!!
AggieEP
gigem1223 said:

AggieEP said:

What?? Grossman is one our best hitters against LH pitching. He's terrible against righties though. You have to play him against lefties.

Vs LH - .908 OPS
Vs RH - .611 OPS

This is a bit of selective statistics as he still has a 25%+ k rate against lefties, so while the OPS is good, it's not like Grossman is a sure thing against lefties. And if you look at his career numbers, he's an .800 OPS hitter against lefties, not horrible, but again this isn't like I'm saying to cut Babe Ruth here.

And most of my point here is that if you call up Carter, you believe in him as the future in the outfield, surely you aren't platooning him with Grossman. The hope is that Carter himself can provide a .850 OPS against lefties as well one day and the only way that happens is for him to get at bats and prove it.

If you look at Carter's splits in the minors, he's basically Juan Pierre against lefties right now, so he needs some real seasoning to be the star we want.

Some of you can say the season's not over, but this team cannot and will not win with this bullpen. It's time to get Carter the at bats he needs so that next year he's ready to contribute to a team that hopefully has a real shot at the world series.
Peter Klaven
AG
So I fully expect us to continue to fade and ultimately miss the playoffs....but it sure seems like a lot of posters don't understand that we're a half game out of the playoffs with twenty three dang games to go.

Yeah it doesn't look good but we are not at white towel waving stage yet. If we get lucky and get a mariners esque hot streak we're right back in the 2 seed.

That being said, feel free to ridicule me next weekend when we're six games back.
AggieEP
I'm not ready to waive the white flag on the playoffs, but I think most here would agree that as constructed, this team cannot win this year in the playoffs. We just don't have any reliable high leverage guys in the bullpen with confidence.

So while we can salvage and make the post season, once the front office makes the decision to bring up Carter instead of Harris or Foscue, that tells me that they know they can't win the world series this year, so they're going to try and season Carter up here and get an idea of if he can handle it.
gigem1223
AggieEP said:

I'm not ready to waive the white flag on the playoffs, but I think most here would agree that as constructed, this team cannot win this year in the playoffs. We just don't have any reliable high leverage guys in the bullpen with confidence.

So while we can salvage and make the post season, once the front office makes the decision to bring up Carter instead of Harris or Foscue, that tells me that they know they can't win the world series this year, so they're going to try and season Carter up here and get an idea of if he can handle it.

Or they think Carter is better than both Harris and Foscue (which he is). You're crazy if you think this front office is throwing in the towel when we're only .5 game out of the playoffs and have several games
Left with the teams in front of us.
gigem1223
AggieEP said:

gigem1223 said:

AggieEP said:

Vs LH - .908 OPS
Vs RH - .611 OPS

This is a bit of selective statistics as he still has a 25%+ k rate against lefties, so while the OPS is good, it's not like Grossman is a sure thing against lefties. And if you look at his career numbers, he's an .800 OPS hitter against lefties, not horrible, but again this isn't like I'm saying to cut Babe Ruth here.

And most of my point here is that if you call up Carter, you believe in him as the future in the outfield, surely you aren't platooning him with Grossman. The hope is that Carter himself can provide a .850 OPS against lefties as well one day and the only way that happens is for him to get at bats and prove it.

If you look at Carter's splits in the minors, he's basically Juan Pierre against lefties right now, so he needs some real seasoning to be the star we want.

Some of you can say the season's not over, but this team cannot and will not win with this bullpen. It's time to get Carter the at bats he needs so that next year he's ready to contribute to a team that hopefully has a real shot at the world series.

So ops is a selective stat now? And then you go on to cherry pick his k rate vs lefties when he's getting on base 40% of the time?

And .800 ops is a good ball player. This team needs more than one outfielder. If they're dead set on not platooning Carter then platoon Grossman and Jank. Which I suggested in my optimal line up a few posts up.

If Jankowski doesn't turn it around he may find himself on the outside looking in. He's been terrible for a good while now and his career avg. points to that not changing back for the better. I'm to the point where I'd rather give JPM a fair shot at it the rest of the way to see what he truly has.
Baby Billy
AG
Calling up your top prospect in September about 6 months before he'll be competing for a starting OF position is not desperate. And that's if the team was hitting, which we aren't. This team is in a free fall with nothing to lose at this point.
JWinTX
Peter Klaven said:

So I fully expect us to continue to fade and ultimately miss the playoffs....but it sure seems like a lot of posters don't understand that we're a half game out of the playoffs with twenty three dang games to go.

Yeah it doesn't look good but we are not at white towel waving stage yet. If we get lucky and get a mariners esque hot streak we're right back in the 2 seed.

That being said, feel free to ridicule me next weekend when we're six games back.

I truly fear a compete and utter collapse that sees us not even finish with 81 wins. It's that bad right now and the teams we play, minus Oakland and LAA, arent easy series. If we go 4-19 the rest of the way, to finish 80-82, I feel like all of the good we enjoyed thru mid-August sill be completely wiped away.

Maybe we magically wake up and the starters and the bullpen can look like a MLB staff again. But I'm not seeing it, at least from the bullpen.
AggieEP
gigem1223 said:

AggieEP said:

Or they think Carter is better than both Harris and Foscue (which he is). You're crazy if you think this front office is throwing in the towel when we're only .5 game out of the playoffs and have several games
Left with the teams in front of us.
For a 10 day injury replacement, they call up a guy not on the 40... I think the front office is telling us more than you think it is. I think Carter is better than those other guys too, but there are long term implications to starting Carter's clock now by putting him on the 40 and calling him up.

As mentioned by an earlier poster, now we have to cut someone off the 40 too, for a 10 day call up (supposedly) you wouldn't think this would be the move.

My whole point which seems to keep getting lost, is that if you make a long term move like bringing up your top prospect, you do it because you're going to keep him in the lineup and play him. He can't be a star for us if he can't hit lefties, and right now he can't hit lefties, so we have to get him at bats against them to see if he can continue to develop.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I agree. He has to play if you bring him up.

I think the roster move was the DFA of Otto.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Wasn't the DFA of Otto done to add Kennedy?
Proposition Joe
Just because Carter is put on the 40 this year does not mean he starts the year on the 40 next year. If Rangers want to go the "service time manipulation" route, it's still available to them.

I think teams are shying away from that more and more though as much of it is getting fleshed out in contract negotiations (ie. if you manipulate, you are going to pay for it come signing/re-signing time).
Tksymm7
AG
I am not attacking you, just the general idea of caring about when we are starting Carter's MLB service clock. Teams do not care as much as they use too about this and we shouldn't either. The MLB is getting younger every year with teams calling up their young talent at 20/21/22 years of age and aren't concerned about their service time. The Braves are a perfect example of a team that called up a ton of young talent and then paid them while they are still young, thus their service times means way less. Teams left and right are changing to this model and with good reason. Pay your studs for the years they are good and not when they are 35+ and DH'ing every other day.

Would I rather Carter just end the season with AAA, yes; but I do trust what we have seen from him and believe he is going to swim rather than sink in the MLB.

Edit: Proposition Joe points out a great point as well.
rbtexan
S
Haven't posted in a couple of days, had surgery.

The Carter call-up tells me a couple of things. First, the team feels Carter is far enough along to at least tread water in the majors & will use this service time to prep him in expectation of him being a starting OF next season. Secondly, it says a lot about what the team thinks about Foscue and Harris that they didn't get called up, especially Harris, who is on the 40.

I maintain my belief that it was not the preference of the Rangers to call up Carter this season. There simply aren't any better options than him at this point in the high minors. It's not a "give-up" move as much as it is a "we don't have any other viable options" move.

I do think at this point the Rangers are a long shot to make the playoffs, and even if they do, it will be a short run IMO. Pitching is too injured (starters) and too crappy (bullpen). Also, if I'm in the Rangers front office, I'm looking to move Adolis at the first opportunity. He's 30 already and his value is higher than it will be in a couple of years. JMO
Jimbo Franchione
KT 90
AG
rbtexan said:

Haven't posted in a couple of days, had surgery.

The Carter call-up tells me a couple of things. First, the team feels Carter is far enough along to at least tread water in the majors & will use this service time to prep him in expectation of him being a starting OF next season. Secondly, it says a lot about what the team thinks about Foscue and Harris that they didn't get called up, especially Harris, who is on the 40.

I maintain my belief that it was not the preference of the Rangers to call up Carter this season. There simply aren't any better options than him at this point in the high minors. It's not a "give-up" move as much as it is a "we don't have any other viable options" move.

I do think at this point the Rangers are a long shot to make the playoffs, and even if they do, it will be a short run IMO. Pitching is too injured (starters) and too crappy (bullpen). Also, if I'm in the Rangers front office, I'm looking to move Adolis at the first opportunity. He's 30 already and his value is higher than it will be in a couple of years. JMO

I hope the surgery went well and you are doing ok.

I tend to agree on A. Garcia, I'm not sure that he can repeat his season at the plate this year (Hrs and RBI). But his injury may put a kink in the "sell high" thought if there is a possibility that he is damaged goods.

Proposition Joe
I just think most of the guys we think we are moving because they are at their peak, most other teams view the exact same way.

I like Garcia, but I doubt the league puts any kind of real premium on him in trade. They know they are trading for a (will be) 31 year old who is a lot more likely to put up a 750ish OPS than the 850 OPS he had pre-ASB.
rbtexan
S
Agree that his value isn't high. My point is that it's likely as high as it's going to get.
Jimbo Franchione
Jimtim1216
S
Even if this team goes on a run and gets to the post season, I have little doubt that the front office will be making some moves to revamp the bullpen, with Langford sitting in the wings as well I think we will see some other moves. I think another starter might be in the plans as well. (I think they will re sign Montgomery)
Tksymm7
AG
I agree on trying to move Adolis, but more so to continue to get younger and bring up talent that you have in the minors. This roster and lineup when healthy is very solid if not great, but we have significant areas of weakness that need to be improved, and one of those areas is an injection of energy and personality. We have a bunch of quiet super stars which is awesome when things are going great, but less so when things are not going well like right now. We need to further inject our roster with youth and energy (like Josh Jung has done) to go to the next step, along with a complete overhaul of the bullpen. We also need to swing and miss/strikeout WAY less.
WestTexasAg
AG
I can't see getting enough for Adolis to warrant moving him. I know he has struggled lately, but he has been very productive for us for three years. He's also a tremendous outfielder that plays hard every night. I'm keeping that dude!
rbtexan
S
WestTexasAg said:

I can't see getting enough for Adolis to warrant moving him. I know he has struggled lately, but he has been very productive for us for three years. He's also a tremendous outfielder that plays hard every night. I'm keeping that dude!
There's certainly a case to be made for keeping him. However, there are also legitimate reasons to move him. His age is one, his BA and OBP is low and his SO numbers are high. Great defensive player but history indicates his skills will begin to diminish post 30 yrs old, and possibly/probably become more injury prone (Mike Trout). He played a lot of CF for a big guy and that's a lot of wear & tear. If I could get a couple of big arm bullpen guys, even if they're prospects, I'd probably pull the trigger and trade him. That's just me, and like I said there's absolutely reasons to hang on to him. I just worry the Rangers will be the Rangers and keep him until he has absolutely no value whatsoever.
Jimbo Franchione
South Platte
Not an expert on MLB contracts and arbitration, but why would we move Garcia when he's super cheap and have 3 more years of him under arbitration? He's making $700,000. Where else do we find a guy with his numbers and arm at that salary?

gigem1223
South Platte said:

Not an expert on MLB contracts and arbitration, but why would we move Garcia when he's super cheap and have 3 more years of him under arbitration? He's making $700,000. Where else do we find a guy with his numbers and arm at that salary?

This. The dude has also gotten better EVERY year he's been a Ranger. Has he struggled in the 2nd half? Sure, but he's consistently been our most productive bat since he's been a Ranger. Not to mention he's a really good defender. Personally, I think it's crazy to trade him. Let him finish his cheap contract and address it then.
Tksymm7
AG
Technically you're not wrong, he has improved, but I think his improvement has be marginal, and his ability to strikeout/swing and miss really hurts this team.
First Page Last Page
Page 552 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.