*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,381,671 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
Proposition Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Grant typically doesn't know much.
JWinTX
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

Proposition Joe said:

I think what it boils down to is a lot of things all happening at once:

SP was pitching way above their heads and is coming back to earth.
Lineup had a number of pumpkins (Taveras, Janikowski).
Bullpen was just flat out bad.
Key producers got hurt (Jung, Eovaldi).
Bochy made a lot of the wrong moves -- leaning on his bullpen being the biggest.
No strong clubhouse presence to take a leadership role.
No ace to stop the bleeding every 5th day.

When you combine that with:

Astros roster being better than ours.
Mariners roster being better than ours.

And you get what we've had. That's not say we should be *this* bad, but all that combined with a run of the mill slump can get you these results.

This… also, contrary to what a lot of our fans want to think, the Stros are still a damn good team.

I picked them over the Braves in the World Series at the beginning of the season because of their massive talent difference over everyone. Now, the Braves look better than them. Maybe the Dodgers, too. But I'm fairly certain that the Astros, when they are really amped up and ready to play an important game that matters to them, they'll be in the World Series. That's how talented that roster is…it wins in spite of its manager.
gigem1223
DallasAg 94 said:

If we promote Carter, we'll lose another person on the 40.

That will be the Front-Office White Flag that signals to me the season is over.

You have Ornelas and Dustin Harris on the 40, but not on the 28.

Brad Miller is on a rehab to Frisco (9/1).

Glenn Otto is now a Padres.

Who do you take off the roster to add Carter?! Remembering that Carter is not eligible for the Post-Season.

Carter can eligible for postseason with an injury exemption. Which we have with Garcia. There's plenty on the 40 that are expendable if the front office thinks Carter is ready to help the club.
DallasAg 94
If Garcia has a season ending injury, Carter may not be a White Flag. I forgot Garcia got hurt.

I do wonder for Injury if you are allowed to add to post-season eligibility.
MrCoachEricTaylor
JWinTX said:

MrCoachEricTaylor said:

Proposition Joe said:

I think what it boils down to is a lot of things all happening at once:

SP was pitching way above their heads and is coming back to earth.
Lineup had a number of pumpkins (Taveras, Janikowski).
Bullpen was just flat out bad.
Key producers got hurt (Jung, Eovaldi).
Bochy made a lot of the wrong moves -- leaning on his bullpen being the biggest.
No strong clubhouse presence to take a leadership role.
No ace to stop the bleeding every 5th day.

When you combine that with:

Astros roster being better than ours.
Mariners roster being better than ours.

And you get what we've had. That's not say we should be *this* bad, but all that combined with a run of the mill slump can get you these results.

This… also, contrary to what a lot of our fans want to think, the Stros are still a damn good team.

I picked them over the Braves in the World Series at the beginning of the season because of their massive talent difference over everyone. Now, the Braves look better than them. Maybe the Dodgers, too. But I'm fairly certain that the Astros, when they are really amped up and ready to play an important game that matters to them, they'll be in the World Series. That's how talented that roster is…it wins in spite of its manager.

100%, they aren't what they were but they're still pretty damn good, And pretty damn good at developing players
Proposition Joe
Yes, Carter can play as long as Garcia is on the shelf for longer than the regular DL stint.
Tksymm7
AG
Evan Carter is being called up! I'm 50% exited and 50% this is too early.

https://instagr.am/p/Cw58-kHu8wQ
hawk1689
AG
Why isn't Dustin Harris getting the shot? Sandro Fabian? Carter hasn't exactly been lighting up pitchers of late.
Tksymm7
AG
He's actually been much, much better since the break. He had a killer march and April, then got injured and fell off for a bit. He's since come back up though.
MrCoachEricTaylor
hawk1689 said:

Why isn't Dustin Harris getting the shot? Sandro Fabian? Carter hasn't exactly been lighting up pitchers of late.

Probably trying to drive fan interest back up
gigem1223
He's hitting .353 at AAA w/ a .456 OBP. I'd wouldn't say that's not lighting it up.
gigem1223
Personally, I'm excited about it. This team needs a shot of energy and maybe Carter can bring that. Beats rolling Jankowski/ Grossman out to right field every night. Not sure I'd let him face lefties yet. Think he could be a perfect platoon player with Grossman right now.
gigem1223
The line up definitely needs reordered. With how good Carter's plate discipline is I wouldn't be afraid to lead him off (specifically against righties). Flame away.

1. Carter
2. Semien
3. Seager
4. Garver
5. Lowe
6. Heim
7. Duran
8. Jank/ Grossman
9. Leody
MrCoachEricTaylor
gigem1223 said:

The line up definitely needs reordered. With how good Carter's plate discipline is I wouldn't be afraid to lead him off (specifically against righties). Flame away.

1. Carter
2. Semien
3. Seager
4. Garver
5. Lowe
6. Heim
7. Duran
8. Jank/ Grossman
9. Leody

I see no problems
MrCoachEricTaylor
Tksymm7
AG
No complaints here. He's got one of the best BB%s I've ever seen.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Tksymm7 said:

I seriously think at this point they give him the Jung treatment. Let him get a taste of big league ABs and then give him every shot at starting for us in Spring Training.
fc2112
DallasAg 94 said:

Brad Miller is on a rehab to Frisco (9/1).
Just go ahead and DFA Miller before he gets back.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

Tksymm7 said:

I seriously think at this point they give him the Jung treatment. Let him get a taste of big league ABs and then give him every shot at starting for us in Spring Training.

I agree.

And Langford gets called up before the all-star break if he continues what he's doing. I think you could very easily see a Carter/Langford/Garcia(?) outfield for the second half. And I'm good with that. Two top ten overall prospects in the outfield.

And I am putting in Langford there because of MLB's trend of bringing guys up sooner and he's just ready for it.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Flounder Dorfman said:

MrCoachEricTaylor said:

Tksymm7 said:

I agree.

And Langford gets called up before the all-star break if he continues what he's doing. I think you could very easily see a Carter/Langford/Garcia(?) outfield for the second half. And I'm good with that. Two top ten overall prospects in the outfield.

And I am putting in Langford there because of MLB's trend of bringing guys up sooner and he's just ready for it.

I'm starting to imagine seeing Langford and Carter opening the season next year with the Rangers haha probably dreaming, but but Langford was one of the most pro ready guys in the draft. If he keeps up his production at AA I think it's a legit possibility.
Coppell97
AG
Can Leiter be called up? What would we have to do with our roster? The bullpen has been entirely ineffective. Why not let him up. It can't be any worse to have him throw 6th or 7th innings. He is a gamer.
Grapesoda2525

Not about the past….. let's start preparing for Oakland.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Coppell97 said:

Can Leiter be called up? What would we have to do with our roster? The bullpen has been entirely ineffective. Why not let him up. It can't be any worse to have him throw 6th or 7th innings. He is a gamer.

I'm more thinking Winn. Idc that he's been garbage the last 2 years but may as well see, probably gonna lose him to Rule 5 here soon anyway
bmac_aggie18
AG
Adolis officially on 10 Day IL with a right Patellar Tendon Strain

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38347773/rangers-put-adolis-garcia-al-rbis-leader-injured-list
MrCoachEricTaylor
bmac_aggie18 said:

Coppell97 said:

I'm more thinking Winn. Idc that he's been garbage the last 2 years but may as well see, probably gonna lose him to Rule 5 here soon anyway
isn't Winn on the 40?
fc2112
Grapesoda2525
fc2112 said:

Reeks of desperation to me. Sorry
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

fc2112 said:

I'm not crazy about the call up but at this point, what do we have to lose. Let him get some big league ABs and see how he adjusts. Give him the off season to work on his deficiencies.
Double Talkin' Jive...
bmac_aggie18
AG
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

bmac_aggie18 said:

Coppell97 said:

isn't Winn on the 40?

Just checked, yep he is on the 40. Would that mean he's due to get a call up and or DFA soon-ish?
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

fc2112 said:

Does it really matter if it's desperation or part of a master plan at this point?
hawk1689
AG
gigem1223 said:

He's hitting .353 at AAA w/ a .456 OBP. I'd wouldn't say that's not lighting it up.

Yeah, I didn't realize he was doing that since the promotion. I still don't think he's the guy yet.
MrCoachEricTaylor
bmac_aggie18 said:

MrCoachEricTaylor said:

bmac_aggie18 said:

Coppell97 said:

isn't Winn on the 40?

Just checked, yep he is on the 40. Would that mean he's due to get a call up and or DFA soon-ish?

At this point, probably equal shot of both haha especially after the DFA of Otto. Still makes no sense to me.
Proposition Joe
We've shaved 51% from our playoff odds in 3 weeks.

If it reeks of desperation it's because we are desperate. Josh Smith taking over in right field isn't gonna create a spark.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Proposition Joe said:

We've shaved 51% from our playoff odds in 3 weeks.

If it reeks of desperation it's because we are desperate. Josh Smith taking over in right field isn't gonna create a spark.

Boy that's a depressing thought.
fc2112
Evan Carter not officially on the 40 or 26 man yet.

He'll take Garcia's spot on the 26 - will be interesting to see how he fits on the 40. Zak Kent hasn't been very good this year - DFA him?

Jonathan Hernandez is 27 and can't break into the worst bullpen in baseball.

I, of course, have been calling for Brad Miller to be liquidated for some time.

First Page Last Page
Page 551 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.