*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,231,892 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
Voice Of Reason 11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't think they've given up. I think the bullpen has been bad all year and instead of gaining confidence throughout the year they've only gotten worse. It's not like we've stopped hitting altogether we've been putting up runs and getting leads… Only to watch them disappear as soon as the bullpen comes in. The series in Minnesota was our breaking point imo. I don't know how you stay motivated as a team when you know there's not a single guy in that bullpen who can help win you a game.
Voice Of Reason 11
Proposition Joe said:

Reid Ryan trying to frame the Rangers as "not caring about hurricane victims" pretty much sums up that franchise - willing to go to any depths for an advantage.

This is what made me dislike the Astros. I use to root for both teams but that was my first introduction into "Houston hates Dallas but Dallas doesn't hate Houston or even really care for that matter."

But even with that, I still don't have any where near a strong dislike of them as they do of us. I actually still hate the Blue Jays more and the fact that their the team who will take our place in the playoffs just adds to the pain.
DallasAg 94
PatriotAg02
AG
Y'all can be concerned with the astros but i'm more concerned with the rangers. Something smelly is going on in that clubhouse.
94chem
DallasAg 94 said:

Proposition Joe said:

Reid Ryan trying to frame the Rangers as "not caring about hurricane victims" pretty much sums up that franchise - willing to go to any depths for an advantage.

From the historical tankathon to game the draft system to the trash can debacle and everything in between. There is a reason that they get booed everywhere they got and it ain't because they are good.
The attempt to gain an advantage from the Hurricane didn't necessarily bother me. It was the fact that he tried to make it a public and political issue by blaming the Rangers as trying to exploit the situation.

The Rangers went above and beyond what they needed to do, to accommodate the Astros, but it wasn't good enough for them. IMO, that's what makes the Astros leadership so ****ty and trickles down to their fans who buy-in.
After Harvey flooded my home, watching the Rangers play the next few nights helped take my mind away from it for a few hours.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Flounder Dorfman
AG
I completely agree. Something isn't right. Just can't figure out what it is.

And I've been all over Bochy since pulling Montgomery after 92 pitches and eight shutout innings with a 1-0 lead, but that's ok if he's managing the team the right way. This team has been completely lost for a month and he has not been able to even slightly improve it.

I mean, you not only got swept at home in horrible fashion, but you really allowed five home runs in two games to one hitter? You actually gave that guy pitches good enough to hit it out of the park five separate times?

Could make a list two pages long of things that just don't make sense.
beagle2009
AG
Voice Of Reason 11 said:

I don't think they've given up. I think the bullpen has been bad all year and instead of gaining confidence throughout the year they've only gotten worse. It's not like we've stopped hitting altogether we've been putting up runs and getting leads… Only to watch them disappear as soon as the bullpen comes in. The series in Minnesota was our breaking point imo. I don't know how you stay motivated as a team when you know there's not a single guy in that bullpen who can help win you a game.

Agreed on all points (username checks out). I don't believe the team has quit, but the psychological impact of the bullpen constantly blowing games has certainly affected all areas of the team.

That said, it sure would be nice to see SOMEONE show a little fire. I have to believe there's been some spice amongst the team behind the scenes, and I don't typically buy-in to the narrative of teams needing a "vocal leader" that is visible to the media and fans, but when things have turned so horribly it certainly begs the question: "who is this team's leader"?
Flounder Dorfman
AG
beagle2009 said:

Voice Of Reason 11 said:

Agreed on all points (username checks out). I don't believe the team has quit, but the psychological impact of the bullpen constantly blowing games has certainly affected all areas of the team.

That said, it sure would be nice to see SOMEONE show a little fire. I have to believe there's been some spice amongst the team behind the scenes, and I don't typically buy-in to the narrative of teams needing a "vocal leader" that is visible to the media and fans, but when things have turned so horribly it certainly begs the question: "who is this team's leader"?

I think it's Semien.

At the very least, we can say he hasn't given up. 4-4 with two home runs in the last blowout loss of a three game sweep at home.
Mr Gigem
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
Baseball isn't really about how bad you want it. More about just getting in a groove and building confidence in that groove. Unfortunately the bullpen has been garbage all year, I think starters are wearing down with several guys at high career workloads, and the bats have suffered from a couple of key injuries with a couple of other guys coming back to the mean
DeangeloVickers
AG
Flounder Dorfman said:

I completely agree. Something isn't right. Just can't figure out what it is.

And I've been all over Bochy since pulling Montgomery after 92 pitches and eight shutout innings with a 1-0 lead, but that's ok if he's managing the team the right way. This team has been completely lost for a month and he has not been able to even slightly improve it.

I mean, you not only got swept at home in horrible fashion, but you really allowed five home runs in two games to one hitter? You actually gave that guy pitches good enough to hit it out of the park five separate times?

Could make a list two pages long of things that just don't make sense.
Doesnt make sense as in it has NEVER happened in the history of baseball...50 hits ...16 HRs in 3 games
Mr Gigem
AG
DallasAg 94
Right, but you don't go from a genius who turned everything around and had one of the greatest starts to the season in franchise history... to being a guy that can't do anything right for the past 3 weeks.

Even after the ASB and trade deadline... we were still cruising along.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Right, but you don't go from a genius who turned everything around and had one of the greatest starts to the season in franchise history... to being a guy that can't do anything right for the past 3 weeks.

Even after the ASB and trade deadline... we were still cruising along.

I agree.

I just don't know, man. I'm watching this and I just don't get it.
DallasAg 94
Lots of what I've heard is that Eovaldi has been the P leader. He has the pulse on the team. Him getting back, from what I've heard lately was about leadership as much as it was success on the field.

Having said that, Bochy said Eovaldi is really at the Spring Training level. They were evaluating him after his 1st appearance, but that he was really at the early stages of getting his command. So, I don't think they were surprised by his performance. The question becomes where do you go from here?!

Bassick (sp) was saying that given a normal return, Eovaldi likely doesn't make an appearance until Oct 1, but that is too late. I think they were hoping to get him to magically click, but it didn't happen.
Legal Custodian
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Like shooting fish in barrel. Enjoy the ban for the rest of the season I guess
Looks like staff won't actually follow through with the ban and just delete the post. So typical
Mr Gigem
AG
rtpAggie
god I hate the cheating a$$ f'n astros
gigem1223
The fact they can't understand why there are rules in place for them posting in this thread is hilarious. If it was allowed they would ruin the thread with constant trolling (kind of like last night and this morning). I don't mind legitimate discussion but if you wanna come over to rub it in and troll then this board would turn to **** real quick. Especially when Rangers fans are outnumbered 10 to 1 on this board. That's why the damn trash talking thread exists. But like several have pointed out already, that fanbase can never get enough validation.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
The most amusing part to me is that the original rules for that were because of their thread years back.
Legal Custodian
AG
We're a .500 ball club since Aug 1st. Just don't look at anything past Aug 16th.
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem said:

Pitchcomm devices are not immune to being hacked
Hacked is an overused term, IMO. It is like in Facebook when people click a link and their Login becomes compromised and they say, "I was hacked." No... you that is maybe phishing, or something else that you did to yourself.

Now, my question is what kind of security they have when it comes to things like "pairing" the devices. The Catcher has a transmitter, which projects the Bluetooth signal, just like your phone, car, or PC. You then have a receiver which you pair with it by acknowledging the code for the signal.

Once paired, you access to hear/listen for all communications. If I had a Pitchcomm receiver and I wanted to pair it to Heim's transmitter... would Heim know that I've paired with it? The Pitchcomm system should maintain logs that determine which devices are paired and when they are paired.

FWIU, according to MLB only Cs are allowed to wear the transmitter. You are allowed 3 players... specifically the 2B, SS, and CF usually, to wear receivers.

Series Stats:
2B Altuve 7-15, 5 HR <- Allowed a receiver
C Diaz: 1-5, 1 HR <- Allowed a receiver
C Maldonado: 3-9, 2 HR <- Allowed a receiver
CF Dubon: 5-15, 2 HR <- Allowed a receiver
10 HRs by 4 guys MLB allows to wear a receiver

SS Pena: 7-18, 0HR <- Allowed a receiver

3B Bregman: 7-14, 1R, 2RBI, 0HR
RF Tucker: 3-9, 0HR
1B Abreu: 4-13, 2HR
LF McCormick: 5-9, 1HR
LF Brantley: 2-3, 1 HR
DH Alvarez: 4-9, 2HR
6 HRs by 5 positions not allowed

HR Leaders:
26 Tucker, 137G
25 Alvarez, 93G
22 Bregman, 140G
20 McCormick, 95G
14 Abreu, 121G
107 HRs on the season by guys contributing 6HRs

21 Diaz, 92G
15 Altuve, 69G - 30% of his HRs were in 2G this week
13 Maldonado, 102G - .189 Hitter with 11HRs coming into the series went .333 and 2 HRs?
10 Pena, 129G
9 Dubon, 115G - 2 of his 9 HRs were in this series
68 HRs on the season by guys contributing 10HRs.

Just some head scratching, that Altuve, Maldonado, and Dubon come into the series with 28 combined HRs and in 3 games they hit 9 HRs?!

Jimtim1216
S
We have the Twins a bunch of HR when they had not been hitting them at all this season.
JWinTX
The more I think about it, the only thing that seems to even make a bit of sense is that Bochy has lost the clubhouse. They must resent his old style managing and have quit on him. No other reason makes sense to go from 72-48 in mid August to a very real possibility of finishing below .500 at season's end. If they do this, no way you can bring him back, IMO. I loved the hire and bringing Maddux in again as the pitching coach, but something awful has set in and I've never seen anything like it. We lost our All star rookie 3rd baseman and our catcher is about a third of who he had been. But that shouldn't lead you to go from 72-48 to hoping you can finish .500.
Proposition Joe
I think what it boils down to is a lot of things all happening at once:

SP was pitching way above their heads and is coming back to earth.
Lineup had a number of pumpkins (Taveras, Janikowski).
Bullpen was just flat out bad.
Key producers got hurt (Jung, Eovaldi).
Bochy made a lot of the wrong moves -- leaning on his bullpen being the biggest.
No strong clubhouse presence to take a leadership role.
No ace to stop the bleeding every 5th day.

When you combine that with:

Astros roster being better than ours.
Mariners roster being better than ours.

And you get what we've had. That's not say we should be *this* bad, but all that combined with a run of the mill slump can get you these results.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Proposition Joe said:

Bochy made a lot of the wrong moves -- leaning on his bullpen being the biggest.

And you get what we've had. That's not say we should be *this* bad, but all that combined with a run of the mill slump can get you these results.

This… also, contrary to what a lot of our fans want to think, the Stros are still a damn good team.
DallasAg 94
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

Proposition Joe said:

This… also, contrary to what a lot of our fans want to think, the Stros are still a damn good team.
I believe they are 12-11 in their last 23. They were 9-11 coming into our series. It isn't like they are a team of destiny.
Proposition Joe
Mariners and Astros roster had fangraphs, pecota and the like all having them competing for the division even when we were 4-5 games up.

There was about a 90% chance we were way over-achieving and a 10% or so chance we were legitimate: all of our rotation was putting things together in the same year (most of these guys had pitched this well before, but typically only in one-off years) and the majority of our lottery tickets cashing.

I said a few months ago that statistically it was a damn near impossibility that of our 5 young lotto tickets (Jung, Taveras, Duran, Jankowski, Heim) that all them would turn out to be legitimate 0.280 hitters. Chances are only one of them would be, or if we got really lucky, 2.
Legal Custodian
AG
gigem1223
Any one heard any news on Garcia?
MrCoachEricTaylor
DallasAg 94 said:

MrCoachEricTaylor said:

Proposition Joe said:

I believe they are 12-11 in their last 23. They were 9-11 coming into our series. It isn't like they are a team of destiny.

That's true and all, but they still have a lot of really good to boarderline elite players. Altuve, Bregman, Tucker, Alvarez are all still some of the top players at their positions in the league.
KT 90
AG
gigem1223 said:

Any one heard any news on Garcia?

Just Evan Grant saying he is going to have an MRI today. Grant didn't sound real optimistic, mentioned "might be out for the season...", something like that. Might be speculation or maybe somebody told him before the MRI that it didn't look good.

gigem1223
That was my initial thought when he came out of the game. Season ending.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
DallasAg 94
If we promote Carter, we'll lose another person on the 40.

That will be the Front-Office White Flag that signals to me the season is over.

You have Ornelas and Dustin Harris on the 40, but not on the 28.

Brad Miller is on a rehab to Frisco (9/1).

Glenn Otto is now a Padres.

Who do you take off the roster to add Carter?! Remembering that Carter is not eligible for the Post-Season.
First Page Last Page
Page 550 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.