*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,375,934 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
Water Boy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah but at this moment in time his bat is on fire. I don't expect him to be scorching hot every night for the rest of the year. Even the greats go through slumps. And when I say slump in this context I mean 5-10 games. All I'm saying is that it's possible he hits a slump (for Ohtani standards) at a bad time for us if we were to get him.
TDub
AG
Just playing around with scenarios but thoughts?
gigem1223
TexAg1822 said:

Hell yes! Super excited about Speas
Tksymm7
AG
Everyone and their mom should be pulling for Alex Speas. His story is great, and he throws gas and can really help this team if it clicks!
MrCoachEricTaylor
I'd kill for that.. but I don't agree with that being Ohtani's value. Especially if we do get into a bidding war with other teams, it would take more high end prospects.
fc2112
Too bad on Taylor Hearn. He pitched really well for us at times. Really hoped he'd get it turned around.
TexAg1822
AG

Pretty neat note about Speas. Rooting for him!
DallasAg 94
Grossman is a FA after 2023, so the negative shouldn't be included.

Also, Winn's numbers are terrible this season.
Tksymm7
AG
He's still somewhat young so idk for certain, but it feels like no one on planet earth would want Cole Winn the ways he's pitching currently. Not even a starter right now and still getting absolutely shelled.
DallasAg 94
Carlo4 said:

ESPN thinks we have what it takes to land Ohtani.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38024142/mlb-trade-deadline-2023-shohei-ohtani-angels-yankees-dodgers-mets-rangers

Proposed deal: RHP Brock Porter, RHP Jack Leiter, UT Ezequiel Duran, 2B Justin Foscue, OF Yeison Morrobel
The Rangers deal is WAY over what it would cost us. ESPN is so wanting to build an Ohtani trade into more than the Soto trade. With my commentary...

A breakdown. If there is a (number) it is Team's prospect rank. A 2nd number is Top100 ranking:

Tampa: Proposed deal: RHP Shane Baz, 2B/3B Curtis Mead (#3, #32), 1B Xavier Isaac (9), RHP Marcus Johnson (28)
DA94: Baz had TJ surgery in Sept 2022 and will be out until 2024. On the 60IL

Yankees: Proposed deal: CF Everson Pereira (4), SS Trey Sweeney (5), RHP Chase Hampton (24), RHP Drew Thorpe (6), 2B Jared Serna (30)
DA94: Yankees have 2 Top100 prospects. The fact #4 is the best they would give up is funny. Yankees have L3 straight. They seem to have lost Judge and Donaldson. Rodon is just coming back, so they have WAY too many question marks and can't afford to give up a volume of prospects for one player.

Mets: Proposed deal: SS Ronny Mauricio (#2, 58), 3B Mark Vientos, C Kevin Parada (#1, 40), RHP Mike Vasil (8)
DA94: Zero chance they are in the mix. You don't trade your 2 best prospects in order to get a window to talk. Ohtani wants to win... not get traded to a team that is out of the playoffs.

Baltimore: Proposed deal: OF/1B Heston Kjerstad, 3B Coby Mayo, LHP Cade Povich, LHP DL Hall
DA 94: Haven't followed much, but I think they are for real and could be the biggest competition in general. Word on the street is they have been playing the long-haul and a quick fix like Ohtani hasn't been their direction for some time.

Giants: Proposed deal: LHP Kyle Harrison (1, 11) , SS Marco Luciano (2, 15), LHP/DH Reggie Crawford (8), OF Mike Yastrzemski
DA 94: I don't follow them close enough to know much. They have emerged with a W7 that has them in the mix, but I had left them for dead behind Az and LAD.

Mariners: Proposed deal: SS Cole Young (2), CF Jonatan Clase (11), RHP Emerson Hancock (5), RHP Darren Bowen (UR)
DA 94: Not worth my time. Seattle isn't buying and that package is dumb.

DBacks:
Proposed deal: SS Jordan Lawlar (1, 5), OF Alek Thomas (MLB), RHP Slade Cecconi (UR), LHP Yu-Min Lin (10)
DA 94: Not sure what to think.

Rangers: Proposed deal: RHP Brock Porter (4, 61), RHP Jack Leiter (5, 90), UT Ezequiel Duran (MLB), 2B Justin Foscue (6), OF Yeison Morrobel (12)
DA 94: Duran is a proven MLB player. His issue with the Rangers is that he is blocked...not a question of performance.

Dodgers: Proposed deal: OF Josue De Paula (10), RHP Nick Nastrini (9), RHP Ryan Pepiot (7), C Dalton Rushing (3, 47), RHP Emmet Sheehan (6, 73), RHP Gavin Stone (4, 49)
DA 94: One of the best farm systems in MLB and you are proposing 6 of their Top10 and 3 of those are Top100. Maybe it takes more for the Dodgers because Moreno has said he won't trade to LAD... but come'on...

I think there are only 5-6 teams that will be participating and really only 2-3 that will make any real effort. Adding the rest is just noise to get fans from other teams interested. NL West... Rangers... Baltimore (maybe).
Tksymm7
AG
I think Baltimore is out, because word is that they are going to stay the course for the long haul. I do question this though because they are right there behind the Rays, right now, and they are also going to have players blocked from the big leagues just like the Rangers, especially in the infield.
DallasAg 94
Seems like I recall Winn hurting his plant leg/foot/ankle at some point and that may be part of the issue.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Hearn was still on the 40 man to be DFAd to bring up Speas? That's crazy.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'm glad to see guys taking care of their mental health. Nobody wants to end up with another Drew Robinson kind of situation.
Tksymm7
AG
At this point I think it's all between the ears, and I don't think it's going to come back.
rbtexan
S
I mentioned Speas a few days ago as someone who could get the call. His numbers have been fantastic. Shame about Hearn, but Speas is younger and has far out-performed him.
Jimbo Franchione
DallasAg 94
This also allows us to see if Speas is someone we can use the rest of the way or if we need to add someone.
Mr Gigem
AG

South Platte
I actually hope LAA finishes July strong and Ohtani comes off the trading block unless he goes to the NL. I don't want anyone in the AL to get him and there are other moves we can make to put us in a favorable position against our potential playoff matchups.

I'm now in the NOhtani camp.

KT 90
AG
GreasenUSA
AG
Water Boy said:

Yeah but at this moment in time his bat is on fire. I don't expect him to be scorching hot every night for the rest of the year. Even the greats go through slumps. And when I say slump in this context I mean 5-10 games. All I'm saying is that it's possible he hits a slump (for Ohtani standards) at a bad time for us if we were to get him.
Not sure that a potential week-long slump for 1 player in this lineup is a cause for concern.
Water Boy
AG
Depends on the timing. In this scenario we will have him for such a small amount of games. 5-10 game slump in the course of a whole season is no biggy. But when you go big on a trade for a rental for less than half a season you want scorching hot Ohtani. Am I taking crazy pills or something? All I said was if we are going to go big on a package deal it would suck if ohtani hit a slump at the wrong time. Am I right or wrong?
GreasenUSA
AG
Well you're not wrong in that slumps are no fun, and detrimental. But they are also unavoidable. So if that was your original argument against an Ohtani trade, I just don't agree that the concern holds water. That's all.
Mr Gigem
AG
Quote:

mAgnoliAg said:
I don't think I have seen an umpire scorecard this entire year that showed a + run number for us and I'm not even exaggerating.

Quote:

you are incorrect. It hasn't been many but it has happened

^^^ From Astros thread.

According to their Umpire Scorecard page, they have been favored in 41 games so far this year. The delusion continues. Is there a fan base that whines more than they do?

Water Boy
AG
I wasn't stating that to say we shouldn't make the move if it's possible. I was just adding a different perspective that could technically happen. No one can predict the future but thought it was worth at least taking into consideration.
Chipotlemonger
AG
GreasenUSA said:

Water Boy said:

Not sure that a potential week-long slump for 1 player in this lineup is a cause for concern.
Yea this argument was pretty weak. Definitely BAS-like.
gigem1223
What a throw by Semien
DeangeloVickers
AG
Does Lowe not watch his bros games?!??!

Don't run on El Bombi!!
DallasAg 94
Adolis' arm in RF is just another reason I would never trade him.
aggiefan09
AG
And a nice pick off at 2nd.
shack009
AG
Jon Gray going toe to toe with the Rays bullpen.
shack009
AG
Leody!
DeangeloVickers
AG
Yahtzee!
shack009
AG
Split finger didn't split.
aggietony2010
AG
What a great double play!
First Page Last Page
Page 302 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.