*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,382,037 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I don't like this…..

The dodgers are probably the best case scenario for us because we wouldn't see Ohtani unless we both made it to the World Series.

Arte Moreno is cold and calculating. He would probably love to raid the rangers farm system for all he can and give us 2 months of Ohtani in return. Then Ohtani signs with a west coast / east coast team in the offseason and we have to watch guys we traded to Anaheim hurt us for the next 10 years.

I'd only do the Ohtani deal if we could extend him, otherwise it's not worth paying the prospect cost and hit to the major league roster. The angels would probably want 2 high end prospects and 2 young controllable guys who are doing well at the big league level. Just way too much for a rental.

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
DallasAg 94
He seems recharged. Nights like tonight are what we hoped for.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Oh yea
DallasAg 94
More and more I am warming to Ohtani being added to the Rangers.

It doesn't surprise me Moreno won't trade him to the Dodgers. Last thing you want to do is elevate his persona by going to the Dodgers and winning the WS.

The Rangers winning 4 games after the break give me the glimpse of what the Rangers can be.

They seem like they may be something special.

If Ohtani gets traded, he becomes one of the best SP on the team he goes to.

Rangers AL ERA for Qualified P:
4. Dunning 2.82
5. Eovaldi 2.83
13. Gray 3.45

14. Ohtani 3.50

TB: 1, 15
Hou: 2
NYY: 3
Tor: 8, 10
Minn: 6
Sea: 7, 11
Balt: 9
CWS: 12

Think about our Offense, paired with that rotation.

Not sure what it costs, but we at least need to consider what Ohtani means. You add Ohtani and it is the best 1-4 rotation.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

It doesn't surprise me Moreno won't trade him to the Dodgers. Last thing you want to do is elevate his persona by going to the Dodgers and winning the WS.

The Rangers winning 4 games after the break give me the glimpse of what the Rangers can be.

4. Dunning 2.82
5. Eovaldi 2.83
13. Gray 3.45

14. Ohtani 3.50

Not sure what it costs, but we at least need to consider that Ohtani means. You add Ohtani and it is the best 1-4 rotation.
Winning the World Series is hard. We have to win the World Series if we make the deal. It's a massive risk.

Sending them a package of porter, rocker or leiter, acuna, and Duran makes me want to puke.
Tksymm7
AG
I get what you are saying too Grape, but again, you can't continue to just sit on prospects or guys you hope are good. Now I have no clue what the Angels would want, but it's probably somewhat substantial even if we didn't have to give up Evan Carter. My point is though, if we trade away guys who don't have a real opportunity to play here and probably have at the absolute best a 50/50 chance of really working out, what does it matter who we trade with?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

Y'all see Nate Lowe smiling at that in the background?

This was awesome.

DeangeloVickers
AG
gigem1223
I'm to the point where I'm willing to do what's necessary to get Ohtani. Imagine putting him behind Seager. That's the 2 best hitters in baseball. The lineup goes from really good to completely ridiculous and you're also adding a solid 2 to the rotation. This team has so many players in their prime. The time is now to strike and we have the farm to give and be in good shape for the future.
Grapesoda2525
gigem1223 said:

I'm to the point where I'm willing to do what's necessary to get Ohtani. Imagine putting him behind Seager. That's the 2 best hitters in baseball. The lineup goes from really good to completely ridiculous and you're also adding a solid 2 to the rotation. This team has so many players in their prime. The time is now to strike and we have the farm to give and be in good shape for the future.
Rebuilding the Angels and making them relevant again, watching Ohtani sign to a west / east coast team in the winter after the World Series will be painful. Especially if we don't win it.

I want this team to be able to compete for the next 5-6 years. I want to compete every year like the rays, dodgers, or Astros do.
Peter Klaven
AG
It seems like some of our resident posters are forgetting that this is essentially "year zero" of our competitive run....maybe we don't mortgage the future quite yet.
Peter Klaven
AG
Also Ohtani and Seager are the best hitters in baseball? That's....quite a take!
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

4. Dunning 2.82
5. Eovaldi 2.83
13. Gray 3.45

14. Ohtani 3.50

Not sure what it costs, but we at least need to consider that Ohtani means. You add Ohtani and it is the best 1-4 rotation.
Winning the World Series is hard. We have to win the World Series if we make the deal. It's a massive risk.

Sending them a package of porter, rocker or leiter, acuna, and Duran makes me want to puke.
I agree.

But, how much would it suck to lose G5 of the WS to a NL team with Ohtani and Ohtani hit the Walk-Off HR knowing he could have been a Rangers.
rbtexan
S
I'll tell you what would suck worse - trading away the farm for Ohtani and not making it to the WS and then watching him leave as a free agent, knowing we gutted our minor league system for effectively nothing.
Jimbo Franchione
gigem1223
Peter Klaven said:

Also Ohtani and Seager are the best hitters in baseball? That's....quite a take!

Not really. That stats prove that to be true. They're literally 1 and 2 in OPS and OPS+.
gigem1223
Peter Klaven said:

It seems like some of our resident posters are forgetting that this is essentially "year zero" of our competitive run....maybe we don't mortgage the future quite yet.

You play to win championships. Not just be relevant. Just ask the Cowboys.
rbtexan
S
If having Ohtani guaranteed a championship you'd have a point. It wouldn't.
Jimbo Franchione
gigem1223
rbtexan said:

If having Ohtani guaranteed a championship you'd have a point. It wouldn't.

What's a better guarantee to win a championship? Having the best player since Babe Ruth for the run or taking a chance on a few lottery tickets? Nothing is guaranteed. But I like the odds better this year with Ohtani.
rbtexan
S
I guess I missed where having Alex Rodriguez got us a world series championship. I must've also missed the WS wins the Angels have had with Ohtani.

We can be a championship team without the best player in history. Clearly. Because lots of other teams have done it since he's been in the league.
Jimbo Franchione
gigem1223
That's a nice straw man but has nothing to do with this team. This team is much better than what was on the rangers with A-Rod or what the Angels put around Trout/ Ohtani.
rbtexan
S
We're not going to trade for Ohtani so it's a moot point
Jimbo Franchione
gigem1223
It's great to have prospects. But the hit rate on them is small. I'd rather take my chances on proven talents. You're also assuming we get the same production out of Seager/ Semien/ Eovaldi/ Garcia in the coming years. That's a lot to assume for players over 30.
DallasAg 94
I'm not talking about selling the farm.

I'm talking about staying involved and looking at what the market will bear.

Winning these 4 games dampens expectations of other teams and helps to lower the cost if we choose to participate in the lottery.

If we sweep TB, we'll have swept the AL East and AL Central leaders. Win the series against the Dodgers, and the message will be sent. Then we get Houston.
DallasAg 94
Oh... and +3.5
gigem1223
DallasAg 94 said:

I'm not talking about selling the farm.

I'm talking about staying involved and looking at what the market will bear.

Same. I mean who'd have thought we could get Chapman for just Ragans? Let's see how it plays out. We have a ton of blocked potential rule 5 guys to use as capital. Let's see what the market brings.
DallasAg 94
If Langford suddenly becomes our #1 prospect and an OF... we have to do something if Evan Carter is that close.

They are assets. I'm not talking about blowing our wade on Kelly Lebrock with a slight rub of the knee... but starting 2023 with 3 OFs and 1 open spot is stupid if we're holding guys like Duran and Acuna in the minors with no place to go.

Even if we trade Acuna for an A+ sure-thing prospect, we need to manage the value of players better.
DallasAg 94
One other reminder if we were to get Ohtani.

That allows us to trade:
Heaney and/or Perez, and Jankowski and/or Duran.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

One other reminder if we were to get Ohtani.

That allows us to trade:
Heaney and/or Perez, and Jankowski and/or Duran.
We lose tonight if Duran doesn't play. The kid has been slumping lately, but he's still extremely valuable.

Duran went deep on the Cy Young favorite tonight, it's almost august and he's still hitting over .300. He can play shortstop or 2nd at a high level. He can also DH. He's also under cheap control for another few years.

How do you even begin to think about trading someone like that?
alvtimes
I put my trade out on the other thread… but here is how i think it shakes out. The Rangers really only have to have a better offer than say 6-7 teams that might be in the picture… Moreno says he wont trade to Dodgers (bs but whatever). Acuna is blocked unless you plan on making Semien the DH in 2025. Same for Foscue, plus Cole Winn. Thats #3 #6 and #13 for a probable rental. Thats plenty, if they say no, take the same proposal to Padres for Hader

late throw in… Dustin Harris#7 with Wyatt Langford now signed up.
hawk1689
AG
alvtimes said:

I put my trade out on the other thread… but here is how i think it shakes out. The Rangers really only have to have a better offer than say 6-7 teams that might be in the picture… Moreno says he wont trade to Dodgers (bs but whatever). Acuna is blocked unless you plan on making Semien the DH in 2025. Same for Foscue, plus Cole Winn. Thats #3 #6 and #13 for a probable rental. Thats plenty, if they say no, take the same proposal to Padres for Hader

late throw in… Dustin Harris#7 with Wyatt Langford now signed up.

Why would you offer the same package as Ohtani for Hader???
DeangeloVickers
AG
MrCoachEricTaylor
I don't think he meant the exact same package, I think he meant you can use the same players but afford to send only 2-3 to get Hader, and potentially Snell too.
MrCoachEricTaylor
DeangeloVickers said:

Still, I'll believe it when I see it, but with the number of teams being trimmed down.. that's interesting
Tksymm7
AG
As rbtexan has said, I'm still skeptical that they'll even trade him, but at the end of the day I think it all comes down to what it would cost to acquire him. If the Angels come back with "we want Carter, White, Acuña and Duran" then I'm probably out on that for a pure rental (even though again if you're trading for him your throwing your hat in the ring to sign him long term). You've got to give something to gain something, but I'd like to hold Carter, White and Duran if at all possible.

Here's a question; would you be willing to part with Leody to get someone like Ohtani? I think I'd pull the trigger pretty quickly on that. I personally would cash in on Leody while his value is basically as high as it's ever been, because I don't think the guy we saw the first half of the season is really who he is. Not saying he's a bad player, but I doubt he's a .300+ hitter with a .800+ ops.
First Page Last Page
Page 294 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.