*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,381,929 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Although the AL Central is weak and it would seemingly be attractive for teams in that division to stay in the mix, I think that may be folly. While they may not be sellers, I doubt they are buyers.

Let's dig into Minnesota. How bad do they need SP? They just signed Dallas Keuchel to a minor league deal. We brought him in last year just to chew up innings.

They have 3 solid SPs:
Minn: 3. Sonny Gray (2.56); 14. Ryan (3.30); 27. Lopez (4.40)

After that, they have:
Ober: 11GS, 2.83 <- He has been around 100 IP/yr in his career. They seem to be limiting his IP.
Mahle: 5GS, 3.16 <- Just had TJ in May
Varland: 10GS, 5.30 <- Just optioned to AAA
Maeda: 4GS, 9.00 <- Recovering from tricep strain

Added RP Oliver Ortega (6/21) to replace Varland

Minnesota needs 2 SPs.

The chase: Cleveland (35-38):
After Bieber:
Allen (24- 11GS, 3.90), Bibee (24- 10GS, 4.05), Cal Quantrill (28- 11GS, 5.61)
Tksymm7
AG
Minnesota is absolutely a buyer, and I think they'll be buyers even if they stay in the same position they are now. I'll push back in needing starting pitching, though. I think their biggest need by a mile is hitting and run production. They are in the bottom half or worse of almost every offensive statistic, while being top 3 in pitching WAR.
KT 90
AG
Proposition Joe said:

There is going to be a shortage of everything due to expanded wild card and the Central divisions being so bad.

Any bona-fide bullpen arm we will be overpaying on.

the wild card definitely changed things in terms of teams that have a chance. So yes, likely will have to overpay for anyone that is a difference maker. Kind of makes me think that teams should pull the trigger a little quicker on trades for players if they already know they are legit contender.... if you are going to overpay you might as well get a little more time out of said player for what you are paying.

On the Central Division teams, I know some of them are in the mix, but I think most of them know they aren't legit contenders beyond the wild card round. I think they may be less inclined to make any big moves, maybe a JAG here or there and that's it.
FTAco07
AG
We are absolutely going to overpay for contributors this summer, but that's ok. We have a logjam of prospects with both infielders and outfielders blocked from the big club by long term vets and/or even better young players.

We are going to have serious 40 man roster crunch / Rule 5 problems so rather than lose them for nothing we can use them in trades. In my opinion, the top 5 prospects HERE are untouchable unless you're getting a legit stud under long term control, but beyond that group every other prospect and non-everyday current Ranger is available.
DallasAg 94
For sure. The point wasn't to say that was their most pressing issue. It was to highlight that among other things... they will need some SP if they plan to go the distance.

To your point... their 4 major contributors:
Buxton: 58G, .214, 12 HR, 73 SO
Gallo: 54G, .185, 11 HR, 73 SO
Correa: 66G, .219, 10 HR, 68 SO
Taylor: 68G, .222, 10 HR, 70 SO

We don't play the Twins until August.
DallasAg 94
I disagree with the 1st paragraph only to say, I don't think our needs (today) warrant feeling forced to overpay.

I agree with the 2nd paragraph only to say, I don't think our needs (today) warrant giving up that level of talent.
Tksymm7
AG
How they 37-38 with that offense is baffling to me.
DallasAg 94
Rule V has always been something I've said we haven't leveraged right...maybe the opportunities just aren't there?! We always seem to trade away talent for guys who will become Rule V at the end of the season.

We did trade Venasco earlier in the season to LAD for a younger player. I believe Vanasco would have been Rule V and just wasn't going to get there with Texas.

From Scott Lucas' list:

After 2023 season:
Foscue (24-AAA): .277, 8 HR, 7 SB, .405 OBP
Freeman (22-A+): .181, 6 HR, 3 SB, .243 OBP
Hauver (24-AA): .222, 5 HR, 0 SB, .345 OBP

Acosta (20-A+, Intl): .277, 4 HR, 14 SB, .328 OBP
Mateo (21-A+, Intl): .268, 5 HR, 19 SB, .284 OBP

Acker (24-A+): 5GS, 2.04 ERA, 17.2 IP, 22 SO
Curry (20-A): 8GS, 3.15 ERA, 45.2 IP, 61 SO

Not exhaustive, just those I felt were interesting. I didn't look at repeat guys from previous years because the list isn't current. Englert is with Detroit.

I think Foscue and Hauver will likely be gone. I think Acker is likely safe. Nobody will carry him an entire year.
DallasAg 94
Tksymm7 said:

How they 37-38 with that offense is baffling to me.
6-1 KC (20-54)
2-0 Milw (38-36)

Take those out and they are 29-37
Grapesoda2525
Don't get this narrative that we will have to overpay.

We don't have many holes. Teams can't say to our negotiators " you need a bullpen piece? You're in first place, but won't be for long unless you get our guy! You better pay!"

Our bullpen has stabilized and done a lot better. Bradford shut down the orioles…. A playoff team and he pitched well in that 4 innings against the angels or jays. I forgot which team it was.

So we have reserves to back up our bullpen and rotation. I've been saying for awhile now that zack Greinke might be a good addition. He's just on a ****ty team, but he's an expiring contract and wouldn't cost much to acquire. There are deals out there for guys who aren't world beaters, but can still provide depth and help the team without hurting the farm too much.

I guess some of you are assuming we would get the closer from the reds or Chapman. Then yeah we would definitely overpay, but I don't think we need a massive upgrade. Just upgrades to make the team deeper and more well rounded.
Grapesoda2525
NukeAg10 said:

gigem1223 said:

Last day off till the ASB, 17 games in a row starting Friday with the Yankees.

1-2 Yankees
3-1 tigers
2-2 Astros
1-2 Sox
2-1 nationals

9-8 to close.

I believe that would be a solid close to the all star break, and ideally would hold the rangers current lead in the west. Sweep the nationals, and win either the Sox or Yankees series puts them at 11-6 through that stretch, and they're sitting pretty.
Still waiting on the pitching matchups, but I'd bet in us getting 2 out of 3 in Fenway. Red Sox are in last place in the east.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Rule V has always been something I've said we haven't leveraged right...maybe the opportunities just aren't there?! We always seem to trade away talent for guys who will become Rule V at the end of the season.

We did trade Venasco earlier in the season to LAD for a younger player. I believe Vanasco would have been Rule V and just wasn't going to get there with Texas.

From Scott Lucas' list:

After 2023 season:

Not exhaustive, just those I felt were interesting. I didn't look at repeat guys from previous years because the list isn't current. Englert is with Detroit.

I think Foscue and Hauver will likely be gone. I think Acker is likely safe. Nobody will carry him an entire year.
I'm fine with trading Foscue. Actually I hope he's the first guy out of here. We don't have room for him in the majors.
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

For sure. The point wasn't to say that was their most pressing issue. It was to highlight that among other things... they will need some SP if they plan to go the distance.

To your point... their 4 major contributors:
Buxton: 58G, .214, 12 HR, 73 SO
Gallo: 54G, .185, 11 HR, 73 SO
Correa: 66G, .219, 10 HR, 68 SO
Taylor: 68G, .222, 10 HR, 70 SO

We don't play the Twins until August.

Too busy to really follow the details on players on other teams, but Gallo at .185 does surprise me a bit. I expected the new shift rules to help him out, at least get him into the .225 range or so. Guy has some talent, and I thought it was possibly just the shift that was in his head too much, but if he still can't get over the Mendoza line with the new shift rules... yikes.
KT 90
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Don't get this narrative that we will have to overpay.

We don't have many holes. Teams can't say to our negotiators " you need a bullpen piece? You're in first place, but won't be for long unless you get our guy! You better pay!"

Our bullpen has stabilized and done a lot better. Bradford shut down the orioles…. A playoff team and he pitched well in that 4 innings against the angels or jays. I forgot which team it was.

So we have reserves to back up our bullpen and rotation. I've been saying for awhile now that zack Greinke might be a good addition. He's just on a ****ty team, but he's an expiring contract and wouldn't cost much to acquire. There are deals out there for guys who aren't world beaters, but can still provide depth and help the team without hurting the farm too much.

I guess some of you are assuming we would get the closer from the reds or Chapman. Then yeah we would definitely overpay, but I don't think we need a massive upgrade. Just upgrades to make the team deeper and more well rounded.

You are missing the point. I don't want a JAG. I'd like to get a difference maker in the bullpen. Either someone to push Smith to the 8th inning, or at LEAST someone to come in and be the 8th inning guy. Sborz has been a pleasant surprise lately though... but we need another one. I'd like to see:
7th Sborz
8th Smith
9th <<arriving soon via trade>>

It would help the overall bullpen if one of LeClerc or Hernandez could return to their prior to TJ surgery form, but that hasn't happened yet. LeClerc is showing signs, but he still can't be trusted in pressure situations. Hernandez? His velo is there but he has no command. Maybe he can find it in AAA.
NukeAg10
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

NukeAg10 said:

gigem1223 said:

Last day off till the ASB, 17 games in a row starting Friday with the Yankees.

1-2 Yankees
3-1 tigers
2-2 Astros
1-2 Sox
2-1 nationals

9-8 to close.

I believe that would be a solid close to the all star break, and ideally would hold the rangers current lead in the west. Sweep the nationals, and win either the Sox or Yankees series puts them at 11-6 through that stretch, and they're sitting pretty.
Still waiting on the pitching matchups, but I'd bet in us getting 2 out of 3 in Fenway. Red Sox are in last place in the east.

Agree on all, but the Sox aren't a usual last place team. They're 2 games above 500 and were recently on an 8 game win streak.
fc2112
DallasAg 94 said:

From Scott Lucas' list:

After 2023 season:

Foscue is the only one I see as probably gone, so he needs to be traded this summer.

But I concur with many that I don't see the need yet. Everyone is like "OMG deGrom is out for the year so we need a starter" but they need to be better - and a LOT better - than what we got.
DallasAg 94
For those interested:

Last 30 Days:
Smith: 12G, 2.70 ERA, 13.1IP, 7H, 13 SO, 0.75 WHIP <-Lefty
Leclerc: 9G, 2.79 ERA, 9.2IP, 7H, 10 SO, 1.24 WHIP
Sborz: 9G, 0.00 ERA, 14.0IP, 3H, 18 SO, 0.36 WHIP
Burke: 7G, 1.93 ERA, 9.1IP, 8H, 8SO, 0.96 WHIP <-Lefty
Barlow: 5G, 0.00 ERA, 4.1IP, 4H, 4SO, 0.92 WHIP

At worst... 2 RPs to shore things up.

Total wants: Closer, RP, LF, and #3SP (better than Heaney/Perez/Dunning)
Grapesoda2525
I think we're good in bats / position players. I'd go for 1-2 relievers and 1 starter at most.
Tksymm7
AG
Pretty much spot on with these, and depending on who the closer would be you might be able to stop there. Smith, Sborz and Burke have really righted the ship and I would be fine with them for the 7th and 8th if we got a legit closer. I'll still throw out that we need to see some minor leaguers as well.

Getting a #3 or better starter is self explanatory, but you mention left field, which is interesting. I think it's pretty obvious that they don't trust Duran in left defensively, so if someone who could play left and offers more than Jankowski at the plate, do they pull the trigger on say a rental?
DallasAg 94
PSA... I believe this year the AllStar voting will be different. Don't recall it like this in the past...

Tonight at 5pm Central on MLB Network, they'll announce the Finalists.

Top2 vote getters at each position advance to a vote next week.

Am I correct that the top vote getter in each league gets a spot? Am I wrong on the voting?!
DallasAg 94
I know I'm being greedy with LF.

Production so far:
Jankowski: .298, 0 HR, 8 SB
Grossman: .228, 7 HR 0 SB
Bubba: .170, 0 HR, 4 SB

Charlie Blackmon (Colo) might be interesting. He is recovering from a broken hand and a FA after the season.

The thing about Duran is... I'm wanting him in the IF. If Evan Carter is as close as he looks, Duran just doesn't likely have a long-term role.
fc2112
DallasAg 94 said:

Total wants: Closer, RP, LF, and #3SP (better than Heaney/Perez/Dunning)
Wants vs. Needs - Just an honest to goodness closer makes the whole bullpen good enough in my mind.

Alexis Diaz would be awesome but I doubt the Reds wanna let him go.

Padres may wanna start thinking about shedding salary. Josh Hadar is a pure rental and is getting $14 MM this year.$7 MM for the rest of the year seems like a good deal. Would Fascue be enough for a pure rental whose salary you want to dump anyway?
DallasAg 94
Ok, I'm bored.

Here is a question. Many of you on here are very high on Skenes. And Crews for that matter.

If Pittsburgh came to the Rangers and offered Skenes or Crews in exchange for Duran and whomever we took with the #4 pick... are Skenes and Crews that much better than the next 2?
Tksymm7
AG
I too want Duran in the infield. I hate to say it, but Seager is just an average SS, at best. I think our infield defense would be much better with Duran at SS. That throw/error he had last night looked like his arm was a wet noodle.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

I know I'm being greedy with LF.

Production so far:
Jankowski: .298, 0 HR, 8 SB
Grossman: .228, 7 HR 0 SB
Bubba: .170, 0 HR, 4 SB

Charlie Blackmon (Colo) might be interesting. He is recovering from a broken hand and a FA after the season.

The thing about Duran is... I'm wanting him in the IF. If Evan Carter is as close as he looks, Duran just doesn't likely have a long-term role.
Could move Lowe to DH and Duran to 1st?

Duran is too valuable to trade because over the course of a season, Seager or Garcia will probably get hurt. Duran can fill in at short stop, 3rd, first, DH, or left field and play them at a high level. His versatility helps keep the team functioning at a high level more often.

To put it another way, Duran pretty much puts out any fires on the position player side of the roster.
fc2112
Seager will transition to 1B or DH over the next few years. I want Duran to back fill SS.
Tksymm7
AG
The problem with this though, is that Lowe has actually become a pretty solid defensive first baseman, especially by the metrics. Last year if you would've told me Seager would be working in at first to get Lowe days off, I would've done cart wheels because Lowe was so poor at times, but he's done a ton of work on defense and it shows. I think Seager will get moved to DH more and more over the next few years.
Grapesoda2525
Tksymm7 said:

The problem with this though, is that Lowe has actually become a pretty solid defensive first baseman, especially by the metrics. Last year if you would've told me Seager would be working in at first to get Lowe days off, I would've done cart wheels because Lowe was so poor at times, but he's done a ton of work on defense and it shows. I think Seager will get moved to DH more and more over the next few years.
It's a small gripe, but I wish Seager was a little faster. Seems like he gets stranded at 3rd base a lot as a base runner.
DallasAg 94
Anyone have MLB Network that can give an account of All-Star voting?!
bmac_aggie18
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Tksymm7 said:

It's a small gripe, but I wish Seager was a little faster. Seems like he gets stranded at 3rd base a lot as a base runner.

Think lately that's been happening cause he's playing it safe with the hamstring
fc2112

Semien, Jung - 1st
Heim, Seager - 2nd
Garcia+ 6th
DallasAg 94

Super Aggie 64
AG
5 Rangers in Phase 2 of ASG Vote. Ohtani is an automatic starter as the top AL overall vote getter.

DH: Shohei Ohtani, Angels -- 2,646,307 votes

Catcher: Adley Rutschman (Orioles), Jonah Heim (Rangers)

First base: Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (Blue Jays), Yandy Daz (Rays)

Second base: Marcus Semien (Rangers), Whit Merrifield (Blue Jays)

Third base: Josh Jung (Rangers), Matt Chapman (Blue Jays)

Shortstop: Bo Bichette (Blue Jays), Corey Seager (Rangers)

Outfield: Aaron Judge (Yankees), Mike Trout (Angels), Randy Arozarena (Rays), Yordan Alvarez (Astros), Kevin Kiermaier (Blue Jays), Adolis Garca (Rangers)
DallasAg 94
cdowsk said:

Catcher: Adley Rutschman (Orioles), Jonah Heim (Rangers)
First base: Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (Blue Jays), Yandy Daz (Rays)

Second base: Marcus Semien (Rangers), Whit Merrifield (Blue Jays)
Third base: Josh Jung (Rangers), Matt Chapman (Blue Jays)
Shortstop: Bo Bichette (Blue Jays), Corey Seager (Rangers)

Outfield: Kevin Kiermaier (Blue Jays), Adolis Garca (Rangers)
Simplified it...

Should be fun... Rangers fans better rise...
rbtexan
S
DallasAg 94 said:

Ok, I'm bored.

Here is a question. Many of you on here are very high on Skenes. And Crews for that matter.

If Pittsburgh came to the Rangers and offered Skenes or Crews in exchange for Duran and whomever we took with the #4 pick... are Skenes and Crews that much better than the next 2?

Have the rules changed? Because unless they have you can't trade players the same year you draft them.
Jimbo Franchione
First Page Last Page
Page 209 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.