*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,382,148 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
gigem1223
How long do you want to ignore this user?
shack009 said:

Was the 3rd run earned? He wouldn't have scored if not for the bad throw by Seager that Lowe couldn't pick.

No was scored an error and unearned run
Tksymm7
AG
Oops, you're right, boxscore finally changed back to 2 earned. I confused myself because I too thought it should only be 2 earned, but checked the box score and it was 3.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Man Jung is in a biiiiiit of a slump

Every time we bash a player they go off so I'm looking forward to a multi-HR game from him tomorrow
gigem1223
Why is Smith in left over Jankowski late in the game?

Edit* sounds like Jank tweaked his hammy
rbtexan
S
Tweaked a hamstring they just said
Jimbo Franchione
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Man Jung is in a biiiiiit of a slump

Every time we bash a player they go off so I'm looking forward to a multi-HR game from him tomorrow

Well, I'm that case….

This whole team stinks!!
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Random question: was it Oakland where the Rangers pitchers had to bail out of the bullpen due to swarming bees?
gigem1223
Another series W
AgBQ-00
AG
Yay
PatriotAg02
AG
Good bounce-back win tonight. Minimum 5.5 game lead. All is well.

But seriously, **** New York!
Dwb22
AG
Anaheim
Grapesoda2525
Dodgers up 1-0 over angels in the 8th. Could gain on the angels.

Speaking of the dodgers, I was laughing at some Astro fans talking about signing Kershaw next year. The guy has stated several times that he's only going to consider 2 teams going forward.
DallasAg 94
For those following...with 74 Games @ 3.1: 229.4

.358 Corey @ 196 PA (#1)
.310 Duran @ 200 PA (#3)

AL Leaders
.323 Hays (Bal)
.317 Bichette (Tor)
.308 Yoshida (Bos)
.303 Diaz (TB)
.303 Verdugo (Bos)
.299 Taveras (Tex)

Mr Gigem
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Dodgers up 1-0 over angels in the 8th. Could gain on the angels.

Speaking of the dodgers, I was laughing at some Astro fans talking about signing Kershaw next year. The guy has stated several times that he's only going to consider 2 teams going forward.

They are so sure they are getting Bellinger. If it was a sure thing, they would have traded for him by now. It's not like he's FA and he's shopping offers from multiple teams.
Grapesoda2525
Angels lose 2-0 to dodgers. Angels threw Ohtani and dodgers used their bullpen. I remember some folks were worried about the Angels after they took 3 out of 4 from us, but it took a Herculean effort from Ohtani at the plate, really home plate umpiring, and us being cold for the angels to get 3/4.
MrCoachEricTaylor
I also laughed when I read that haha
94chem
Y'all see this?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/37896584/overturned-call-plate-costs-padres-night-rangers
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
Factor in the expanded wild card, the fact that the few bad teams are really bad, the central divisions in each league being mediocre, and some teams with huge payrolls who have underachieved, it would seem like a bad year for acquiring bullpen assets at the deadline. Any ideas, other than still being mad about Clase?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
agent-maroon
AG
94chem said:

Y'all see this?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/37896584/overturned-call-plate-costs-padres-night-rangers

Some great baseball defense being erased by inexplicably bad reviews. Not good for the game IMO.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tksymm7
AG
I agree with you in that it feels like you're going to have to pay excessively to acquire bullpen help this season more than others, and all of the reasons you mentioned are spot on. However, with the bullpen getting better over this span in June (thank you Josh Sborz and Will Smith) and with some guys at the AAA level knocking on the door, I think we're in a wait and see approach.

Not saying that we don't need help still, because we do, but we have stabilized a bit. On top of that, I really think we need to see a few minor leaguers before we go opening the check book for a reliever. It's about time we see Chase Lee, as he's pitched very well overall this season and is in good form with RR. Behind him, there's Marc Church, who probably needs more innings with RR, but is also in good form and has the STUFF. After that, I personally would like to see Alex Speas get the call to RR (he's been unbelievable for Friso, with electric stuff as well) so as to give him a chance at getting some innings with the Rangers later this season, but I'm not sure that's going to happen.
aggietony2010
AG
94chem said:

Y'all see this?

While I think that both this play and Heim's should be legal, the call against Heim is way more egregious, as he's never blocking the plate in any way. At least with this one, the catcher winds up straddling the foul line 5 feet up the line and you can start arguing how early he's allowed to be there, etc.

Both are good, safe (not dangerous), baseball plays that should be outs, though.
KT 90
AG
KT 90 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

For those interested...

Frisco tonight:
2B Saggese
SS Acuna
CF Carter

ok so Carter is done with his rehab in Arizona and back in Frisco now. Had not seen that he had been moved back up until this post.

Scrolling through twitter and looks Carter is off to a good start back in Frisco:

gigem1223
Last day off till the ASB, 17 games in a row starting Friday with the Yankees.
LeagueCityAg
AG
Remember to vore for the good guys!
NukeAg10
AG
gigem1223 said:

Last day off till the ASB, 17 games in a row starting Friday with the Yankees.

1-2 Yankees
3-1 tigers
2-2 Astros
1-2 Sox
2-1 nationals

9-8 to close.

I believe that would be a solid close to the all star break, and ideally would hold the rangers current lead in the west. Sweep the nationals, and win either the Sox or Yankees series puts them at 11-6 through that stretch, and they're sitting pretty.
NukeAg10
AG
This just popped up, and cracked me up.

For those that want to read...

Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred says he has some regrets over his handling of the Houston Astros sign-stealing scandal, admitting in a recent interview that granting immunity to the players was "maybe not my best decision ever."

MLB did not punish any Houston players after a league investigation confirmed the Astros had cheated by using a camera-based, sign-stealing system during the regular season and playoffs of their World Series-winning 2017 season and during part of the 2018 regular season.

Manager A.J. Hinch and general manager Jeff Luhnow were suspended for the entire 2020 season and eventually fired by the Astros, who also lost draft picks and were fined $5 million. But the players' immunity drew widespread criticism of Manfred, who said "there are some decisions that I would like to have back," in a wide-ranging interview with TIME.

"I'm not sure that I would have approached it with giving players immunity," Manfred told TIME, which published the interview Wednesday. "Once we gave players immunity, it puts you in a box as to what exactly you were going to do in terms of punishment.

"I might have gone about the investigative process without that grant of immunity and see where it takes us. Starting with, I'm not going to punish anybody, maybe not my best decision ever."

Some members of the 2017 Astros still are booed in road ballparks and vilified by opponents, an outcome Manfred alluded to during an interview with ESPN in 2020 when he defended his decision.

White Sox pitcher Keynan Middleton called Twins shortstop Carlos Correa "a cheater" last month after striking out the former Astros star -- the latest example that some in the MLB community have not forgotten the saga. Manfred said he also regrets adding to the furor when he referred to the World Series trophy as "a piece of metal" during his 2020 interview with ESPN.

"There are some decisions that I would like to have back," he told TIME. "There's absolutely no question about that. Some of the decisions surrounding the Houston situation, would like to have those back.

"I mean, if I could take back the rather flip comment I made about the World Series trophy at one time, I'd take that one back. There have been times, particularly in times of pressure, when I look back, taking a little more time might have led to a different outcome."
investorAg83
AG
Hands down the worst commissioner in all of sports…and that's saying something when Goodell is also in the group.
TxAG#2011
Lol you mean letting a cheating team win wasn't such a good idea? Gutless clown.
LeagueCityAg
AG
Pretty convenient that he says this right before the Astros-Dodgers series. The dumb**** is just trying to hype it up for ratings.

Manfred has no regrets on how he handled the scandal. He did everything in his power to downplay it because it was a direct reflection on his leadership.
rocky_ag
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

.358 Corey @ 196 PA (#1)
.310 Duran @ 200 PA (#3)

AL Leaders
.323 Hays (Bal)
.317 Bichette (Tor)
.308 Yoshida (Bos)
.303 Diaz (TB)
.303 Verdugo (Bos)
.299 Taveras (Tex)

Will probably take each around 20-25 more games to become qualified. Hopefully they can keep it up.
Tksymm7
AG
I think Gary Bettman of the NHL is the worst. As bad as Manfred is and as poor a job he did in handling that situation and the debacle that is the Oakland Athletics, he deserves some credit for introducing changes to the game of baseball that have been highly successful, imo. We will also see more positive changes to the game in coming years.

Bettman is horrendous. He's sitting on one of the most exciting products in sports and can't seem to do anything right to get the ship that is the NHL to take off. On top of that, he has is own eyesore that is the Arizona Coyotes. Bettman is getting left behind, while at least the MLB is moving forward.
DallasAg 94
rocky_ag said:

DallasAg 94 said:

.358 Corey @ 196 PA (#1)
.310 Duran @ 200 PA (#3)

AL Leaders
.323 Hays (Bal)
.317 Bichette (Tor)
.308 Yoshida (Bos)
.303 Diaz (TB)
.303 Verdugo (Bos)
.299 Taveras (Tex)
Will probably take each around 20-25 more games to become qualified. Hopefully they can keep it up.
With 17 games left before the ASB, that's 91G and 282.1 PA.

Seager has been getting 5 PAs, so over 17 games, he could get 85, which would put him at 281. We will need a couple games with a combination of 20 LOB and/or Runs to get him 6ABs.
DallasAg 94
Personally, I think it is going to begin with SP.

There are 65 SPs in MLB who are Qualified by IP... meaning they have 1 IP per game the team has played.

That's barely 2 per team, which tells me there is going to be a shortage of quality SP.

There are several like Heaney which are in range... but keep in mind Perez is 26th (4.38) in the AL with 32 Qualified.
29. Greinke 4.81 30. Singer 6.34 (KC), 31. Lance Lynn 6.51 (KC), and 32. Jordan Lyles 6.72 (KC)

If the Rangers remain relatively healthy with the 5 we have, it will keep the Bullpen from being overworked and ensure we don't have to get a SP.

IMO, most teams right now are looking at 1 or 2 SP if they want to compete to the end before trying to stack their BP. If they don't fix their rotation, their BP will be wasted by the end of the season, as we've seen in the past.
Proposition Joe
There is going to be a shortage of everything due to expanded wild card and the Central divisions being so bad.

Any bona-fide bullpen arm we will be overpaying on.
DallasAg 94
Looking at AL stats:

Tampa: 1. McClanahan (2.12); 12. Eflin (3.26)
Texas: 5. Eovaldi (2.80); 7. Jon Gray (2.96); 26. Perez (4.38)
Baltimore: 10. Wells (3.22); 19 Gibson (3.94); 28. Kremer (4.56)
New York: 4. Cole (2.64)
Houston: 2. Valdez (2.27); 11. Javier (3.25); 18. Brown (3.78)
Toronto: 8. Gausman (3.10); 17. Berrios (3.64); 20. Kikuchi (3.97); 22. Bassitt (4.16)
LAAA: 9. Ohtani (3.13)
Boston

Minn: 3. Sonny Gray (2.56); 14. Ryan (3.30); 27. Lopez (4.40)
Cle: 15. Bieber (3.51)

Bolded are teams that really don't have much SP. I am not including Injuries.

New York: Other than Cole, they have a bag of meh. German (4.30), Schmidt (4.65), Severino (6.30)
LAAA: They have Detmers, Sandoval, and Canning which are in the 4.0+ ERA
Boston: Rotation is a mess. Bello (3.49) is best performaing. Sale (4.58) and Kluber (7.04).

Just from a SP perspective, I think the 6 teams bolded are the ones that will need to address their rotation before considering anything else.

National League has similar shortages.
First Page Last Page
Page 208 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.