*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,384,793 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
KT 90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't have link handy, but Evan Grant says Garver should be back this Friday (beginning of next homestand); Duran taking ground balls, but hasn't swung a bat yet.

fc2112
Yeah Ramos had a bad day yesterday.

South Platte
A surprisingly large avalanche of hand-wringing over on the Astros thread. You'd think after 2 titles and 2 other WS appearances in the past few years that they would be pretty relaxed in May.

The 20-1 loss by Tampa skews their run differential, but we're now #1 in MLB. After tonight's game we'll be 1/3 through the season.
Goldie Wilson
South Platte said:

A surprisingly large avalanche of hand-wringing over on the Astros thread. You'd think after 2 titles and 2 other WS appearances in the past few years that they would be pretty relaxed in May.

The 20-1 loss by Tampa skews their run differential, but we're now #1 in MLB. After tonight's game we'll be 1/3 through the season.
Can we stop with the updates on what's happening on the Astros thread? Maybe I'm alone here, but if I wanted to know what they were talking about I'd just go to that thread and read for myself.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Goldie Wilson said:

South Platte said:

Can we stop with the updates on what's happening on the Astros thread? Maybe I'm alone here, but if I wanted to know what they were talking about I'd just go to that thread and read for myself.

Troof

bigcat22
AG
South Platte
Goldie Wilson said:

South Platte said:

I live in Houston and have had to put up with them for 6 seasons. It's fun to see them worried for a change. Hope it continues.
Tksymm7
AG
What's weird about this is I still have no clue how to feel about him and his long term projection. His hitting has come out of seemingly nowhere and left me shocked.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
fc2112 said:

AgBQ-00 said:

I thought it was an asinine ruling during the game.

It actually was 100% correct per the rules. It's the rules that need to be changed.
What exactly is the rule? Because I'm not real sure what he was supposed to do there.

I believe you're right and it was actually a nice play by the catcher by intentionally trying to hit him, but he literally ran down the line the entire time.
gigem1223
Tksymm7 said:

What's weird about this is I still have no clue how to feel about him and his long term projection. His hitting has come out of seemingly nowhere and left me shocked.

I'm not sure why so many gave up on him so quickly. He really hasn't even played a full season yet in the bigs, this would be his first. He showed a lot of improvement at the plate last season (in 99 games) and has taken it to the next level this season. I don't see why we can't expect Leody to be a good bottom of the line-up hitter with + defense moving forward.
aggietony2010
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

fc2112 said:

AgBQ-00 said:

It actually was 100% correct per the rules. It's the rules that need to be changed.
What exactly is the rule? Because I'm not real sure what he was supposed to do there.

I believe you're right and it was actually a nice play by the catcher by intentionally trying to hit him, but he literally ran down the line the entire time.

At the 45 foot mark (where the line in foil territory begins) you must be running entirely in foul territory, and only your final step can take you fair (onto the base). Otherwise, if you are deemed to have interfered with the play (doesn't even have to hit you, if the ump thinks the fielder altered his throw, it's interference), it will be called.

I think the rule would be fine if they just added the safety bag at first. I like that it's a rule that requires less judgement than most "out of the baseline" calls, but with the base in fair territory, it's really tough on the batter-runner.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
aggietony2010 said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

fc2112 said:

AgBQ-00 said:

At the 45 foot mark (where the line in foil territory begins) you must be running entirely in foul territory, and only your final step can take you fair (onto the base). Otherwise, if you are deemed to have interfered with the play (doesn't even have to hit you, if the ump thinks the fielder altered his throw, it's interference), it will be called.

I think the rule would be fine if they just added the safety bag at first. I like that it's a rule that requires less judgement than most "out of the baseline" calls, but with the base in fair territory, it's really tough on the batter-runner.
That makes sense.

Yeah, a safety bag in the "runner's lane" in this screen shot would solve most of the issues I think.
KT 90
AG
Tksymm7 said:

one thing I recall about his time in the minors, as he progressed from level to level, they always said he was either the youngest player as his level or pretty close to the youngest. So the organization has always thought he had the overall talent package, and they pushed him along on a fairly quick path. So I've always had pretty high expectations, hoping he'd eventually be our CF of the future.

*edit to add: I'm not sure that is a yearly batting title contender type (would be nice if he was), but if he can hit around .290 to .300 to go along with his speed and defense, we should be good.
fc2112
The way the rule is written, catchers are incentivized to drill the runner right in the back when he's one step from the bag - automatic out every time. Needs to change.
gigem1223
I think my favorite part about this team is the adversity they've overwhelmingly overcome in the first couple months. It's a next man up mentality. Seager goes down, Duran steps up. deGrom goes down, Dunning steps up. Garver goes down, Heim steps up. Jankowski goes down, Taveras ups his game along with stretches from Grossman and Smith. To go along with all this, the blown saves from the BP can crush a teams mentality, but they've bounced back every time and have found themselves with the 2nd best record in the league. Bochy and staff are doing an amazing job.
AgBQ-00
AG
The thing about Leody's call is he was pulling up chalk with every step from his left foot. So he could have been counted as in the runner's lane. When they showed the replay he was not on the grass, literally right on the lines with his left foot. The rule needs some tweaking, I think the safety bags at first would be the perfect answer.
TexAg1822
AG
Roster moves today

Tksymm7
AG
The Spencer Howard experiment rolls on...
gigem1223
Howard is a forgotten name. He has the stuff to help the bullpen. His issue as a starter seemed to be the order the 2nd time around.
rbtexan
S
Agree. If Howard has a future with the Rangers it will be as a reliever IMO.
Jimbo Franchione
KT 90
AG
hopefully deGrom will be ready soon:

Barlow sidelined with kidney stones:

KT 90
AG
rbtexan said:

Agree. If Howard has a future with the Rangers it will be as a reliever IMO.

Agreed... I think he's had plenty of shots as a starter to pretty much prove he doesn't have the pitch mix to be a starter. Unless he comes up with something different to add. Maybe he can be a reliever, might as well give it a shot before he ends up going the dfa route.

Who knows, maybe Maddux or CY can find something to get him going.
Tksymm7
AG
Perez in some early trouble again.
PatriotAg02
AG
Perez seems to always live on the edge. Makes me nervous.
Tksymm7
AG
He's been the worst starting pitcher this season by personal eye test. Also my opinion, but I'm glad we didn't give him a multi year deal.
Yellerjacket
Tksymm7 said:

He's been the worst starting pitcher this season by personal eye test. Also my opinion, but I'm glad we didn't give him a multi year deal.

His ERA is taking a beating today for sure.
ryanhnc10
AG
Really bad start from Perez. Should have been able to cruise to a victory
PatriotAg02
AG
Tksymm7 said:

Agreed. He's been consistently inconsistent.
Coppell97
AG
Who is this Anderson?
KT 90
AG
Coppell97 said:

Who is this Anderson?

Four straight strikeouts!
PatriotAg02
AG
Who? Wwow
Tksymm7
AG
Grant Anderson:
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
He's got an odd arm slot and strange wind up. Not much power from a velocity stand point but he's shut them down so far.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Jung crushed that one!
Double Talkin' Jive...
beagle2009
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Jung crushed that one!

Yeah that was smashed!
First Page Last Page
Page 133 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.