*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,385,819 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
Mr Gigem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Mariners are destroying the A's going for the 4 game sweep tomorrow. Why do other AL west teams dispatch of the A's so easily, but we don't?

Our 2 losses to the A's look terrible by comparison.

Okay? It's not like there is a committee at the end of the season determining who makes the playoffs. Just win each series and the rest will take care of itself

We are 11-4 in our last 15 games and currently have a 3 game lead in the division.
rbtexan
S
There was one August when the Yankees were in a pennant race, and struggled to an 8-8 record, at a time when it mattered.

That was the 1927 Yankees, arguably the greatest team in history. Point is, every team loses games, and every team loses games they shouldn't. No team in history has ever gone 162-0, and none ever will. Seasons ebb and flow, and you can't get torn up about inexplicable losses along the way. Win the division and no one will give two sh*ts about a loss to Oakland in May.
Jimbo Franchione
fc2112
Mr Gigem said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Mariners are destroying the A's going for the 4 game sweep tomorrow. Why do other AL west teams dispatch of the A's so easily, but we don't?

Okay? It's not like there is a committee at the end of the season determining who makes the playoffs. Just win each series and the rest will take care of itself

We are 11-4 in our last 15 games and currently have a 3 game lead in the division.
There are some people who are only happy when they're making themselves miserable.
Schall 02
AG
And it seems like many of them go (went) to Texas A&M.
Proposition Joe
Grapesoda2525 said:

Yes, terrible. People can't stop talking about 2 random regular season losses.

Angels are 5-2 vs Oakland, just like us.
Astros have only played Oakland 3 times, none on the road.

Settle down.
_lefraud_
AG
I fear the committee will use the sweep in Cincinnati to keep us out of the tourney.
Water Boy
AG
I'll take losing multiple games to possibly the worst baseball team in the last 120 years if that means we make the playoffs. Seriously tho it is odd that the best offensive team in baseball isn't blowing out the worst pitching team when they play. Baseball is a goofy game sometimes.
PatriotAg02
AG
Each game is it's own animal. Hell, even in double-headers, momentum doesn't translate.
ChoppinDs40
AG
crazy things happen in baseball but there's always "what ifs" in sports...

What if Taylor Bertolet didn't miss those kicks vs. LSU? or the retry in the Florida game right before half time didn't happen and he misses it? We're playing Georgia for the SEC title (who know how that may have gone) and blowing out ND in the national title game. Oh well.

I think the hand wringing about Oakland is coming from that... if we're in a dead heat with 'ouston down the stretch... those foolishly dropped games early in the season matter. As some wise sports person anecdotally once said... you can't win the division by May but you can certainly lose it.

There's still a TON of baseball left and averages will say that we come back down to earth and are vying for a wildcard spot... The season becomes grueling in those dog days of summer. Hopefully playing in air conditioning keeps us from having a post july-4th meltdown.
Water Boy
AG
Still too soon to mention what ifs in baseball.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Not worried about Oakland, but we do notoriously underperform against them. More than any other divisional opponent it feels like.
rbtexan
S
To revisit an earlier topic of conversation, another Rangers podcast is The Ranger Report - it's OK and could be really good except for a couple of things. The hosts try too hard to be funny which winds up just being annoying, and they also have a tendency to interrupt and/or talk over guests. IMO if you're going to bring a guest on your podcast, let them do most of the talking.
Jimbo Franchione
CampingAg
AG
A's players get paid too. That's the way baseball go. It's not like we're losing series to them.
Water Boy
AG
I'll give it a try. I mentioned the locked on rangers podcast, although they arnt the most professional and highest quality. I love that it is almost daily and only 30min. I haven't found a better podcast that produces a lot of rangers only content. The other podcast mentioned by other posters seem great but only do a 1 episode a week format or covers the whole mlb and might mention the rangers for a segment here and there. With so many games played and including the farm there is just no way 1 episode a week is enough for me. I need my daily fix!
rbtexan
S
I completely get what you're saying. I live in TN, so mostly what I get here is Braves or Cardinals, and some Reds stuff. I guess my expectation is for there to be accuracy of information, and I've found Locked On Rangers to be way too heavily weighted on speculation from a fan perspective, rather than the good behind-the-scenes type info you can get from, for example, Diamond Pod.

I share your frustration regarding the infrequent podcasts - I wish they would do at least a couple a week during the season, one a week just isn't enough. But at least I feel like the info I hear on Diamond Pod and Rangers Today is pretty darn informed, rather than just pulling ideas out of the sky.

A couple of examples of what turned me off re: Locked On - before the season, he advocated signing Joey Gallo, which I never ever ever thought made a lick of sense. He also asserted in one episode that Evan Carter wasn't a good defensive outfielder, which is flat out false. It's just too much of a random fan using a podcast as a pulpit rather than getting good, solid scouting-based info. I much prefer the latter. JMO
Jimbo Franchione
Water Boy
AG
I just started listening about a week ago and haven't heard anything too crazy so far. It's definitely from a fan perspective and no inside information. I enjoy the casual conversation. I guess we need to win more to get more content in general. On YouTube some people are starting to catch on and make videos.
cmiller00
AG
https://www.si.com/mlb/rangers/news/texas-rangers-pitcher-derek-holland-baseball-comeback-york-revolution-independent-atlantic-league

Bullpen help is on the way.
CampingAg
AG
I've enjoyed watching Foul Territory with AJ Pierzynski on YouTube at noon everyday. Seems like they're kinda the McAfee model for baseball.
Grapesoda2525
Our old friend big stink Odor went deep for San Diego with 2 outs in the 9th. 3 run homer. SD wins 8-6.

Roogie doing well
Grapesoda2525
good news...after this weekend the A's don't play another team from the AL West until after the all-star break. Sick of other teams getting free wins.
Jerry-Ag
Would love to overtake the Orioles for the number two (2) spot in the AL this weekend. Yuge series.
Get back or get Jerry’d
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Jerry-Ag said:

Would love to overtake the Orioles for the number two (2) spot in the AL this weekend. Yuge series.

I would love it too. However, no Duran and no Heim in the lineup tonight. Leon has become the favorite of a few pitchers and that's great, but you're losing .175 in BA when Leon plays over Heim.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Grapesoda2525
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Jerry-Ag said:

I would love it too. However, no Duran and no Heim in the lineup tonight. Leon has become the favorite of a few pitchers and that's great, but you're losing .175 in BA when Leon plays over Heim.
Lineup is crap tonight. Duran has been hitting the cover off the ball lately. Very unfortunate that it looks like his injury has just been downplayed so far.

Grossman, smith, and Leon are pretty much automatic outs right now. Doesn't inspire much confidence. Need a big game from 1-5 and Taveras.
LeagueCityAg
AG
Stolen from Reddit. Pretty much sums up this forum.
PatriotAg02
AG
Duran hurt worse than we thought?
PatriotAg02
AG
LeagueCityAg said:

Stolen from Reddit. Pretty much sums up this forum.

Perfect
Tksymm7
AG
Sounds like it, but apparently not enough to go on the IL.
AgBQ-00
AG
Nice rbi base hit for Smith

Followed by a Grossman 2 run HR!!!!
PatriotAg02
AG
Yeah grossman sucks
beagle2009
AG
As my 6 year old just exclaimed, "ooohhhh too bad Oreos!!"
AgBQ-00
AG
Just need Sandy to get a hold.of one for the trifecta

Eta: base hit. I'll take it.
aggietony2010
AG
I haven't had this much fun since the era of Anna Kendrick "Boom" and Choo Choo mutha****a gifs.
KT 90
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Just need Sandy to get a hold.of one for the trifecta

Eta: base hit. I'll take it.

how about a single to right?

Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
PatriotAg02 said:

Yeah grossman sucks

Gross man is one of those guys that you have to take the good with the bad. He's got some power at the plate but seems to get lost in the OF.
Double Talkin' Jive...
PatriotAg02
AG
Smith, Grossman, and Leon all have hits this inning
First Page Last Page
Page 126 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.