*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,388,877 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
Mr Gigem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tksymm7 said:

Well there's another pitching bust

Bust??
Tksymm7
AG
If he's having TJ, then that gamble was the wrong choice and thus that pick is a bust. He's going on 24 playing in high A. Everything needed to go just right for Rocker and this is pretty much worst case scenario.
rbtexan
S
The Mets will be happy to hear that their drafting of Jacob DeGrom was a bust....cuz he had TJ surgery.
Overreact much?
Jimbo Franchione
Mr Gigem
AG
I guess Corey Seager was a bust. Bryce Harper, too.

It's not like his career is over. And we weren't going to see him anytime soon anyway
Mr Gigem
AG
Wow what an overreaction
Tksymm7
AG
How is that an overreaction? We won't see him pitch until he's maybe 26, and that won't be in the majors. We took him with the third overall pick hoping it would all go smoothly and this proves it didn't. He still could be something in the pros, sure. But that pick did not work out as of today.
twilly
AG
I believe some people thought Rocker would be big club ready within 2 years of being drafted. Therefore, he's a bust in that sense. Doesn't mean he's never going to make it, just not on the fast track.

If you want to Monday morning qb, would they have picked somebody else given a potential 2 year delay on his development?

Ranger fans you're not dreaming! The Rangers are the World Series Champions!
rbtexan
S
twilly said:

I believe some people thought Rocker would be big club ready within 2 years of being drafted. Therefore, he's a bust in that sense. Doesn't mean he's never going to make it, just not on the fast track.

If you want to Monday morning qb, would they have picked somebody else given a potential 2 year delay on his development?
They did pick someone else. They got Rocker cheap for where he was picked, and then got a 1st round rated HS pitcher in Brock Porter. That was the strategy....take the risk on Rocker, save $$, and throw it at Porter (who was committed & going to Clemson). Porter is 19, in low A, and currently has an ERA of 1.37. Rocker had pitched 28 innings with 42 Ks and a 3.86 ERA in high A, likely a month away from being called up to AA.

Injuries happen, especially to pitchers. Calling him a bust at this point is knee jerk nonsense.
Jimbo Franchione
rbtexan
S

Quote:

We won't see him pitch until he's maybe 26

Jacob DeGrom debuted in the majors one month shy of his 26th birthday.
Jimbo Franchione
DannyDuberstein
AG
The whole Rocker saga has been strange. Dude probably needed TJ in 2021.
Tksymm7
AG
I get what you're saying, and the Porter argument is fair because he was seen as the best HS pitching prospect by almost everyone. But this isn't just an injury. This is TJ. An injury that takes away, for some, up to two years of your career away. This is also TJ for a guy who really only had two pitches to begin with and was working hard on a third. Now he won't touch a ball for 18 months. I hope I'm wrong because I'm sick and tired of the Rangers whiffing on pitching prospects, but this doesn't fill me with hope.
Mr Gigem
AG
Maybe focus on the fact we are in first place with one of the top starting rotations in baseball. We'll be fine
rbtexan
S
The Rocker pick was a high risk/high reward gamble that the Rangers took. It allowed them to draft and then sign Porter, the best HS pitcher in the draft. TJ surgery isn't the career-threatening procedure it was a decade + ago, players routinely come back from it, in many cases throwing better than they did prior to the surgery. Nathan Eovaldi, fwiw, has had TJ surgery.

Yes, it sucks that he'll be shelved for 18 months, but that particular injury is fairly frequent with pitchers. There's no way to see it coming or really even prevent it. You just have to deal with it if it happens.

Rocker may never pitch an inning for the Rangers - for that matter, Brock Porter might not either. But it's really an emotional overreach to assume that he's a bust at this point.
Jimbo Franchione
FTAco07
AG
All of the questions around Rocker were shoulder related so nothing to do with the elbow/TJ. Obviously you could argue that a potential shoulder issue could make the elbow more at risk, but it isn't a direct "told you so" on his pre-draft medicals.
AgBQ-00
AG
As common as TJ surgery is now, it really is a neutral occurrence at this point. The time away sucks but it is pretty much the life of a pitcher to go under the knife at some point.
DannyDuberstein
AG
FTAco07 said:

All of the questions around Rocker were shoulder related so nothing to do with the elbow/TJ. Obviously you could argue that a potential shoulder issue could make the elbow more at risk, but it isn't a direct "told you so" on his pre-draft medicals.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10008860-mets-rumors-kumar-rockers-contract-in-limbo-due-to-elbow-injury-concerns.amp.html

The procedure he had was to his shoulder in Sept 21, but there were numerous reports that the Mets were actually concerned about the elbow. And Rocker's camp spent 18 months saying everything was fine with both. I don't think the Rangers made a mistake and am not chalking him up as a bust, but it's all been weird since the spring of 2021 with this dude
cmiller00
AG
Better than 50/50 chance this would happen when he was drafted. Disappointing but far from a bust yet. Bummer. Seems like most of these guys come back throwing harder after TJ now.
KT 90
AG
Given that he is mostly a two pitch pitcher, and will now be out for 12+ months, we should look at moving him to reliever/closer. Rather than spend a year or however long working on that third pitch, move him to closer and work on building the arm back up. That's his quickest path to the bigs, and maybe he can get by with his current mix of pitches.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree. Could be a dominant closer. I think that is a more realistic approach back.
cmiller00
AG
X2
gigem1223
Strike 4. Ball don't lie!
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Tksymm7 said:

I get what you're saying, and the Porter argument is fair because he was seen as the best HS pitching prospect by almost everyone. But this isn't just an injury. This is TJ. An injury that takes away, for some, up to two years of your career away. This is also TJ for a guy who really only had two pitches to begin with and was working hard on a third. Now he won't touch a ball for 18 months. I hope I'm wrong because I'm sick and tired of the Rangers whiffing on pitching prospects, but this doesn't fill me with hope.

He's gonna touch a ball well before 18 months. This isn't a two year injury from doing anything. It's maybe two years before you're fully back in shape.
PatriotAg02
AG
Someone get the rum
South Platte
Definitely bad news. We'll see how this turns out. Too early to add him to our long list of failed draft picks.

So far this season luck has strangely been on our side.
AgBQ-00
AG
Feels like we are being too impatient tonight.
Grapesoda2525
Can we not pitch to that Arcia guy anymore? Haven't got him out all series.
PatriotAg02
AG
That thing is over
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
A Bomb
AgBQ-00
AG
Anyone else surprised that Lowe ranks 2nd in MLB in scoop rate?
fc2112
All Star? Give it to 'em:

Adolis Garcia
Jonah Heim
Marcus Semien
Nathan Eovaldi
Jon Gray

And our two best players - Seager and deGrom - would be All astars if not hurt.
beagle2009
AG
fc2112 said:

All Star? Give it to 'em:

Adolis Garcia
Jonah Heim
Marcus Semien
Nathan Eovaldi
Jon Gray

And our two best players - Seager and deGrom - would be All astars if not hurt.

+ Jung for AL ROY
AgBQ-00
AG
Thought that was out.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Damn, Duran juuuust missed a HR
AgBQ-00
AG
Josh Jung!!!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Anyone else surprised that Lowe ranks 2nd in MLB in scoop rate?

Just pulled off a pretty sweet scoop.

Nice play by Jung.
First Page Last Page
Page 106 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.