*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,382,046 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
twilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Spaces matter folks. Comments are golden.

Ranger fans you're not dreaming! The Rangers are the World Series Champions!
PatriotAg02
AG
twilly said:

Spaces matter folks. Comments are golden.

That's great
Dwb22
AG
Sam Huff on the big league club for a few days at least. Would've liked giving a random pitcher a shot in the bullpen but I do like the move - love the effort to allow Heim to DH as much as possible. Maybe we'll get some Gallo-esque bombs out of Huff too.
Tksymm7
AG
Where are you seeing that Huff was called up to the big club? I checked their recent transactions and all that is listed is the trade to Boston and signing of a relief pitcher named James Marvel.
TexAg1822
AG
Tksymm7
AG
Appreciate it!
fc2112
Dwb22 said:

Would've liked giving a random pitcher a shot in the bullpen but I do like the move

26 man roster - 13 pitchers, 13 position players.

MLB rules.
Dwb22
AG
Ah didn't know they capped the # of pitchers. Makes sense.
fc2112
Part of the new CBA.
gigem1223
Huff has been extremely hot lately and gives the Rangers more options to rest Heim/ Lowe and/ or DH.
rbtexan
S
Thought this was worth sharing. Evan Carter has played 162 minor league games, the equivalent of a full MLB season. Here's his stats over those games, split over 3 minor league levels.

G: 162
AB: 596
R: 125
H: 170
2B: 31
3B: 11
HR: 18
RBI: 105
SB: 44
AVG: .285
Walks: 124
K's: : 130

OBP is .416, SLG is .465 and OPS is .881
Jimbo Franchione
South Platte
Obviously still very early, but this is developing into quite a story. This team is winning games in all different ways. MLB needs to hold an emergency Hall of Fame vote to get Bochy in if this team makes the playoffs.

Adding a champion manager to the equation has paid off beyond even the craziest of scenarios.
AgsWin2011
AG
South Platte said:

Obviously still very early, but this is developing into quite a story. This team is winning games in all different ways. MLB needs to hold an emergency Hall of Fame vote to get Bochy in if this team makes the playoffs.

Adding a champion manager to the equation has paid off beyond even the craziest of scenarios.

Agreed. I wasn't necessarily thrilled bringing back a coach, even a championship winning coach, 2-3 years out of retirement. But what he has done has been nothing short of incredible.

But also, I could have managed better than Woodward. That guy was an ass clown.
PatriotAg02
AG
You can tell the guys respect him and want to play hard for him. Team seems very close-knit too.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Home ump analysis from last night. Both of the Grossman calls in the 7th inning are noted as impactful.

Double Talkin' Jive...
Grapesoda2525
Tksymm7 said:

I won't lie, it is pretty fun to see the Astro's fanbase on the brink of jumping. To some of the points above; I think the gripes about Dusty Baker, Maldonado, Bregman and Abreu are legit. Dusty is a HOFer, but he's overly loyal to guys that are REALLY struggling right now and doesn't seem to have a great feel for the team imo. They should've let him walk into the sunset this past offseason. Maldonado just flat stinks, and they have a very good catching prospect having six hit games down in Sugarland, so I'd be pissed off too. Abreu was a poor signing for a lot of money at 35 years old and Bregman just straight up looks washed. Bregman has done nothing but get worse year after year since his 2019 second in MVP voting season. So while it is fun to see them wallow in struggle, some of their complaints are legit.
I think you're being too generous to the Astro fans.

Dusty - some of the gripes are valid concerns, but they should be over ruled or overlooked by the fact that he has delivered the only non tainted championship they have. Fans of all the other teams in baseball don't recognize the first one they won in 2017 or whatever it was as real. The trash can stuff ruined that one. Dusty can't freak out and send players to the minors who helped him win a World Series. I think bregsy is usually a slow starter so he has to wait him out. Dusty knows it's a long season and you can't rock the boat just yet.

Bregman - like I said, he's been there a long time and he's earned the patient of the fan base. Theirs not much fans or coaches should be able to do, but wait for him to turn it around or adjust.

Maldonado- do they hit him 9th? You can hide a terrible hitter at the bottom of the order. I guess his terrible hitting is magnified by the fact that other people are struggling right now, but I think dusty keeps him and plays him because he's the only link left to the "Astros pitching greatness". He was there to catch verlander and all of those other guys. The pitchers love working with him and are comfortable with his style. Having 1 player for defensive purposes is ok if the rest of the lineup is decent or good overall. Not everyone can have a Jonah helm, pudge rodriguez, or Joe Mauer. Those are rare.

Abreu - he's a notoriously slow starter, but I would start to be getting concerned. Still they did sign him to a 3 year deal so you gotta try and make it work. It's still early.

I think a lot of their gripes come across as spoiled brats to me so far. It's a 162 game season and the Astro fans are approaching and reacting to things like it's a football season. Every loss they accrue is a massive meltdown in the Astros thread filled with salty tears that are almost as fun and tasty as sip tears.

By comparison, the only meltdown we had in this thread so far was the Reds series. I think it was hard for us to handle getting our ass kicked by such a bad team and all the choking from the bullpen.
KT 90
AG
I agree, Bregman usually starts slow, he'll likely come around. Abreu is a little, different, just looked it up and they signed him for his age 36-37-38 years. His power was down last year, but still hit .300. This year the average is way down and he's still looking for his first HR. He might come around this season, but they may regret that contract in 2024 and 2025.

And I don't know how you guys have time to sift through that Astro thread on a daily basis. Unless there is some late breaking news or big event, I don't even click on it. It's been a while, and I rarely even bother.

Grapesoda2525

They thought reinforcements were coming.
Grapesoda2525
This thread will probably be quiet tonight because of the Stars game.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I'll be here!
Double Talkin' Jive...
Tksymm7
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

If it's anything like the last game we'll be flipping over pretty quick. Gotta play better than that garbage on Monday.
gigem1223
Zeke in the 2 hole tonight. I like it
KT 90
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

baseball > hockey
gigem1223
KT 90 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

baseball > hockey

2 TVs > 1 TV
gigem1223
If we make the playoffs it sure will be nice to have Heaney as an option out of the pen.
KT 90
AG

vander54
S
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Heaney should plunk this guy.
Double Talkin' Jive...
AgBQ-00
AG
He's out if it doesn't hit the bat
gigem1223
Unreal he would've been out by a mile. Don't think I've ever seen that before
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Would have been nice to get that 2nd runner out.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Proposition Joe
Garcia gets duped into showing off his arm and Heim forgets to move the bat. Gifted them a run.
gigem1223
So glad we're playing a DH that's hitting below the Mendoza line
gigem1223
Another ball completely out of the zone called for strike 3
bmac_aggie18
AG
Yeah Semien got hosed there. Not close
First Page Last Page
Page 91 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.