*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,385,667 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
bmac_aggie18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How about Cole Winn?

0-2 with a 7.88 ERA w/ 19 Hits and 13 BB in 16 IP
PatriotAg02
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Dunning.

I think that is the story to start the season.

Is he the benefit of:
  • Moving to the BP?
  • Change in his throwing?
  • Off-season additions?
  • Addition of veterans?

I know he probably won't keep it up, but WOW... what a start. I'm wondering if all of the off-season talent has gotten him lost on the scouting report. Last season he was our most reliable #2-3. This season, Rangers go into KC going deGrom (34), Eovaldi (33), Perez. Dunning isn't even on the radar.

By Innings Pitched:
21.2 Eovaldi: 5.40 ERA, 24 K (4GS)
20.2 deGrom: 3.48 ERA, 32 K (4GS)
15.2 Perez: 2.87 ERA, 16 K (3GS)
15.1 Dunning: 0.00 ERA, 9 K (0GS, 6G)
14.0 Gray: 3.21 ERA, 13 K (3GS)
12.2 Heaney: 4.97 ERA, 16 K (3GS)

Maddux.
Tksymm7
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

How about Cole Winn?

0-2 with a 7.88 ERA w/ 19 Hits and 13 BB in 16 IP
Another guy who just cannot land his fastball for a strike. Leiter still has time (although his clock is ticking as well), but he's got to get his dad out of his ear. I also have heard that what Al is telling his son is different from what the Rangers staff is telling him. In fairness to the Leiter's, the Rangers haven't developed any pitching in what feels like an eternity, so trusting what they are telling Jack might be difficult. It's clear though that his dad needs to exit stage left. That's just not a good way to develop and it's hurting his son.

I am not sure what to say about Cole Winn...he's just fallen off an Everest sized mountain since the beginning of last year and have no clue what his future looks like. Good news is Rocker seems to going and Brock Porter has huge upside. He's just a high school kid who will likely take 3 or so years in the the minors to get to that MLB level.
Candiru
AG
So, the Bally Sports app does not have many games. The Bally Sports network on either Direct TV, cable, or Fubo TV has every game except for a few national games. I have the Bally app and YTTV. Are there going to be many games on the Bally streaming app at all? I'm having trouble finding this online.
PatriotAg02
AG
Candiru said:

So, the Bally Sports app does not have many games. The Bally Sports network on either Direct TV, cable, or Fubo TV has every game except for a few national games. I have the Bally app and YTTV. Are there going to be many games on the Bally streaming app at all? I'm having trouble finding this online.
No, the app will not have games. You either have to have Fubotv, Directv, or if you're out of market MLBtv.
fc2112
It is frustrating that Bally advertises you can watch Rangers games on the app - but what they REALLY mean is you can watch the rangers on their app IF you have login credentials for DTV or Fubo.
gigem1223
The denial going on in the other thread is astonishing and hilarious. God I hope those ****ers miss the playoffs. That fanbase needs a dose of humility.
KT 90
AG
FYI... early start today. Might need to block off a little time on the work calendar

KT 90
AG
gigem1223 said:

The denial going on in the other thread is astonishing and hilarious. God I hope those ****ers miss the playoffs. That fanbase needs a dose of humility.

You are tempting me to click on that thread. But I rarely do so, and do my best to avoid it altogether.
Mr Gigem
AG
Quote:

I'm not worried about the Rangers, or the Yankees, or anyone else. I really am not "worried" at all.

But we do need to get about 10 games over .500 to comfortably be a playoff team in any year, and somewhere around 20 games over .500 if we want to compete for a first round bye.

We are not even 20% into the season, so way too early to worry.

Just ready for us to get hot for even one good streak (like and 8-2 stretch)
The denial is strong with this one
gigem1223
Just heard on the radio that it's been 4 years since the rangers have swept a road series.
Candiru
AG
PatriotAg02 said:

Candiru said:

No, the app will not have games. You either have to have Fubotv, Directv, or if you're out of market MLBtv.
Thank you. This be some bull****.
Carlo4
AG
gigem1223 said:

Just heard on the radio that it's been 4 years since the rangers have swept a road series.
Tksymm7
AG
I was going to post this morning that I think todays game is massive for this reason. Solid to good teams win series, great teams get sweeps against the bottom feeders. It's time to be great and get the sweep.
gigem1223
Yea and somehow the Royals are favored today?

Perez - 2.87 era
Singer- 7.88 era
Carlo4
AG
gigem1223 said:

Yea and somehow the Royals are favored today?

Perez - 2.87 era
Singer- 7.88 era
Vegas always knows man.
Mr Gigem
AG
Barely favored at -120

I think they are basing that on the game is in KC and it's difficult to beat a team 3 times in a row on their home field
Mr Gigem
AG
And remember them being favored doesn't mean Vegas thinks KC is going win. The money coming in is for KC to win
KT 90
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Barely favored at -120

I think they are basing that on the game is in KC and it's difficult to beat a team 3 times in a row on their home field

difficult to beat a team 3 times in a row is definitely a thing. Remember in Arlington a week+ ago we won the first two and were calling/hoping for a sweep... and KC kicked our tails in game three by 10 runs or so.

Would definitely be a big win today if we can pull of the sweep. Off day on Thursday to get ready for the next three game set.
fc2112
The parallels between the 2012 Rangers and 2023 Astros are striking.

Coming off pennant winning seasons. Aging roster trying to keep it going. Too many injuries since key pieces of your pennant teams are getting older. Old school manager who hasn't adjusted doing dumb things to hold the team back.

All that remains is the late season collapse and early playoff exit to complete it all.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I think they said on the TV broadcast last night that KC is 1-11 at home this year. May have misheard that though.

Edit: just looked it up and they are 1-10 at home this year.
Double Talkin' Jive...
ChipFTAC01
AG
fc2112 said:

Coming off pennant winning seasons. Aging roster trying to keep it going. Too many injuries since key pieces of your pennant teams are getting older. Old school manager who hasn't adjusted doing dumb things to hold the team back.

All that remains is the late season collapse and early playoff exit to complete it all.

Was 2012 the Blue Jays wild card series with the Bautista bat flip?
Super Aggie 64
AG
Wild card game loss to the Orioles
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

fc2112 said:

Was 2012 the Blue Jays wild card series with the Bautista bat flip?

I want to say that was 2015. Could be wrong, though.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Water Boy
AG
Obviously I would like to make the playoffs but right now I am just enjoying each win and happy we are competitive and have complete buy in from the front office.
rocky_ag
AG
This year feels like 2009 in a lot of ways. In 2009, we were coming off of a long string of poor seasons, but it was clear something special was brewing with the talent that was piling up. The goal wasn't necessarily to make the playoffs that year, but to have a good season that could be built on in 2010. We ended up winning 87 games that year but missing the playoffs. Notably, we would have made the playoffs in 2009 under 2023 post-season qualification rules because we finished second in the wildcard race. As it was, we finished 8 games behind the Red Sox.

My hopes are similar for this 2023 team. We have so many valuable players that will be here in 2024 and beyond. Anything over .500 this year is a good season and a good stepping stone for the future. Making the playoffs would be gravy - but boy would it be a lot of fun.

KT 90
AG
rocky_ag said:

This year feels like 2009 in a lot of ways. In 2009, we were coming off of a long string of poor seasons, but it was clear something special was brewing with the talent that was piling up. The goal wasn't necessarily to make the playoffs that year, but to have a good season that could be built on in 2010. We ended up winning 87 games that year but missing the playoffs. Notably, we would have made the playoffs in 2009 under 2023 post-season qualification rules because we finished second in the wildcard race. As it was, we finished 8 games behind the Red Sox.

My hopes are similar for this 2023 team. We have so many valuable players that will be here in 2024 and beyond. Anything over .500 this year is a good season and a good stepping stone for the future. Making the playoffs would be gravy - but boy would it be a lot of fun.

Bingo. Sticking with my pre-season 85 win prediction.
DallasAg 94
rbtexan said:

Quote:

To me, Carter was a wasted draft pick and I don't think he was on anyone else's radar.
Just to clarify....you felt this way at the time, correct? You're surely not saying it was a wasted draft pick now. If there was a wasted draft pick in that draft, it was Justin Foscue in the 1st round, certainly not Carter in the 2nd.
Correct.

I felt the Rangers had more Foscue players in their minors than the rest of the league combined. Hew as ranked 32 and the Rangers went with the 1.14 to get him.

Carter wasn't ranked and nobody knew him. Even the writers were scratching their heads:

https://www.mlb.com/rangers/video/rangers-draft-of-carter-no-50

Even the other guys made it seem like the Rangers were just in money-saving mode or they were outthinking themselves.

Now? Certainly Carter looks like a gem.
DallasAg 94
Danny Vermin said:

You forgot Maddux getting a hold of him but the rest could be possible too.
Forgot Maddux.

How did I not include him?!
DallasAg 94
Perez!
KT 90
AG
5-1 Rangers after 5.

Mr Gigem
AG
KT 90 said:

5-1 Rangers after 5.

alvtimes
dang, wheels kinda fell off for Perez this inning.
Mr Gigem
AG
The Royals are so bad
cr06gis
AG
Duran
First Page Last Page
Page 52 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.