*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,385,191 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
thegoodolag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That sounds right. Thanks
DallasAg 94
On pace for 105 Ws. Need to step up and string some Ws together.
AgBQ-00
AG
Hello win column!!
Cappo
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

On pace for 105 Ws. Need to step up and string some Ws together.
Yep can't be happy with 105
PatriotAg02
AG
I know it's just KC but damn we rollin' babay!
vander54
S
It's been 10 years since we started this strong.

World's worst proofreader
Adam87inSA
AG
If math serves me… 2023 minus 2013 is… ten.
gigem1223
2nd most wins in the AL
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem said:

DallasAg 94 said:

"HELLO WIN COLUMN!!!"

Too Soon?

Hope to be saying that plenty, this season... maybe 105+ times?!

If they win 105+ I will give you a pair of my personal tickets for a game in the postseason
Cappo.... I've got post-season tickets on the line.
vander54
S
Adam87inSA said:

If math serves me… 2023 minus 2013 is… ten.

My first year screw up is 4.5 months into the new year.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Finished the post game and then got to watch the Astros lose. Nice.
vander54
S
Just looking over our stats. deGrom has the 5th worst ERA on the team (3.48)
BryanAggie2013
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

I did the same. Did you catch Tucker doing a bat flip after a single while down 2 in the 8th like he'd just hit a walk off homer in the playoffs?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I just did on the post game where they're selling maybe it was on purpose.
awrollins
In minor league news, Rangers do-it-all number one prospect Evan Carter was 0-1 tonight while drawing 4 walks. This comes on the heels of a 2/3 game with a HR and 3 BBs.

I'm starting to think this kid is generational. He has probably the best plate discipline in the entire organization, for sure in the system. He's incredibly intelligent, the valedictorian of his senior class while also being committed to Duke, which is no light feat.

I'm honestly not sure what left he has to develop in the minors. Obviously, you want to see him add a little muscle, but that's offseason work.

On top of all this, check out the web gem in CF:
Grapesoda2525
Quincey P. Morris said:

How do you watch both teams? Do you have YouTube tv?
PatriotAg02
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Quincey P. Morris said:

FuboTV has both teams
Grapesoda2525
awrollins said:

In minor league news, Rangers do-it-all number one prospect Evan Carter was 0-1 tonight while drawing 4 walks. This comes on the heels of a 2/3 game with a HR and 3 BBs.

I'm starting to think this kid is generational. He has probably the best plate discipline in the entire organization, for sure in the system. He's incredibly intelligent, the valedictorian of his senior class while also being committed to Duke, which is no light feat.

I'm honestly not sure what left he has to develop in the minors. Obviously, you want to see him add a little muscle, but that's offseason work.

A guy who's extremely smart and extremely athletic. Talk about a rare combination.
gigem1223
Grapesoda2525 said:

Quincey P. Morris said:

DIRECTV for me
Tksymm7
AG
awrollins said:

I don't know if I'd go so far as to use the word generational, because when I think of generational prospects I picture Griffey Jr., Harper, Strasburg, Mark Prior, A Rod, etc. Guys who were drafted or picked and immediately coined for greatness and then lived up to or above that greatness. Carter has the chance to be ELITE and maybe our best pure prospect since Profar, but he wasn't drafted and coined for greatness like some of the other above guys were. Just a personal opinion and perspective though!
alvtimes
Quincey P. Morris said:

Where's the dork who hated Semien now?

Over on the trashcans thread
DallasAg 94
Dunning.

I think that is the story to start the season.

Is he the benefit of:
  • Moving to the BP?
  • Change in his throwing?
  • Off-season additions?
  • Addition of veterans?

I know he probably won't keep it up, but WOW... what a start. I'm wondering if all of the off-season talent has gotten him lost on the scouting report. Last season he was our most reliable #2-3. This season, Rangers go into KC going deGrom (34), Eovaldi (33), Perez. Dunning isn't even on the radar.

By Innings Pitched:
21.2 Eovaldi: 5.40 ERA, 24 K (4GS)
20.2 deGrom: 3.48 ERA, 32 K (4GS)
15.2 Perez: 2.87 ERA, 16 K (3GS)
15.1 Dunning: 0.00 ERA, 9 K (0GS, 6G)
14.0 Gray: 3.21 ERA, 13 K (3GS)
12.2 Heaney: 4.97 ERA, 16 K (3GS)
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Quincey P. Morris said:

I'm on Fubo now but could watch both on DirecTV as well.
DallasAg 94
I know what you're saying, and I'm not saying he'll be a generational talent, but ... Covid kinda messed up the past couple years.

For reference: Age on Debut of MLB
A-Rod: 18.346
Griffey Jr: 19.133
Trout: 19.335
--------------------------
Carter: 20.232

A-Rod was drafted as a generational talent, for sure. Griffey was a legacy... he was well known at birth. Both were #1 overall picks.

Trout, though was drafted 25th and AFAIK, he was a bit of a surprise.

To me, Carter was a wasted draft pick and I don't think he was on anyone else's radar. Having said that, it is hard to say with the shutdown how he might have elevated in the draft and expectation. OTOH... he could have had an injury.
Quote:

Carter didn't get scouted heavily as an amateur because he attended few showcase events and played just three games as an Elizabethton (Tenn.) HS senior before the pandemic ended his 2020 senior season. But area scout Derrick Tucker and the Rangers believed he had five-tool potential and made him a surprise second-round pick, signing him away from a Duke commitment for an under-slot $1.25 million.

Tksymm7
AG
Just saw Leiter's line from his last start…woof. I'm one foot out the door on this one. His fastball command is so poor it's going to make it impossible to be successful. Really huge gut punch for the org with this one too.

On a brighter note, Kumar Rocker looks fantastic and in command to start his professional career. His motion is so smooth, repeatable and effortless. Really excited for him to get a full year in the minors and hopefully sky rocket up the system.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Dunning.

I think that is the story to start the season.

Is he the benefit of:
  • Moving to the BP?
  • Change in his throwing?
  • Off-season additions?
  • Addition of veterans?

I know he probably won't keep it up, but WOW... what a start. I'm wondering if all of the off-season talent has gotten him lost on the scouting report. Last season he was our most reliable #2-3. This season, Rangers go into KC going deGrom (34), Eovaldi (33), Perez. Dunning isn't even on the radar.

By Innings Pitched:
21.2 Eovaldi: 5.40 ERA, 24 K (4GS)
20.2 deGrom: 3.48 ERA, 32 K (4GS)
15.2 Perez: 2.87 ERA, 16 K (3GS)
15.1 Dunning: 0.00 ERA, 9 K (0GS, 6G)
14.0 Gray: 3.21 ERA, 13 K (3GS)
12.2 Heaney: 4.97 ERA, 16 K (3GS)

I heard on the radio that supposedly he pitched with a messed up hip all year long last season?

I wasn't impressed with Dunning last season, but if you factor in his hip and he was facing #2 or #3 starters for, the other team most of the time then he didn't do that bad last season I guess.
Grapesoda2525
The Astros thread is like a morgue, you'd almost think those guys have never won a championship before. When in reality they have 1 and a half.
Grapesoda2525
Tksymm7 said:

Just saw Leiter's line from his last start…woof. I'm one foot out the door on this one. His fastball command is so poor it's going to make it impossible to be successful. Really huge gut punch for the org with this one too.

On a brighter note, Kumar Rocker looks fantastic and in command to start his professional career. His motion is so smooth, repeatable and effortless. Really excited for him to get a full year in the minors and hopefully sky rocket up the system.
Still too early to give up on Leiter.
alvtimes
gigem1223 said:

Eovaldi too. The 2 players I was concerned with shut me up quick tonight.

I was talking crap about new catcher about 10 seconds before his 2 rbis….. funny how that works
alvtimes
Tksymm7 said:

What the heck happened from Vanderbilt to now for Leiter? I get it…. it was college not the pros…. but he performed great at the highest level of college ball and it doesnt seem like he really struggled to throw strikes back then.
rbtexan
S

Quote:

To me, Carter was a wasted draft pick and I don't think he was on anyone else's radar.
Just to clarify....you felt this way at the time, correct? You're surely not saying it was a wasted draft pick now. If there was a wasted draft pick in that draft, it was Justin Foscue in the 1st round, certainly not Carter in the 2nd.
Jimbo Franchione
Danny Vermin
You forgot Maddux getting a hold of him but the rest could be possible too.
fc2112
One good series at a time. This is our third in a row. And thus coming weekend, at home, is when we oughta clean up too

And the Astros thread is a joy. Good news is - most of the guys haven't followed baseball for long and can just move on to the next fad.
rbtexan
S
alvtimes said:

Tksymm7 said:

What the heck happened from Vanderbilt to now for Leiter? I get it…. it was college not the pros…. but he performed great at the highest level of college ball and it doesnt seem like he really struggled to throw strikes back then.
What I have heard alluded it is that daddy Al is a bit too involved in "coaching" Jack, and needs to back off.
Jimbo Franchione
MrCoachEricTaylor
rbtexan said:

alvtimes said:

Tksymm7 said:

What I have heard alluded it is that daddy Al is a bit too involved in "coaching" Jack, and needs to back off.

I wonder if a demotion to High A would help..
First Page Last Page
Page 51 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.