*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,247,863 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
Proposition Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you think Thompson and Jankowski are going to continue to produce at a high clip then you are going to be sorely disappointed.

This was a passable offense with Seager. With him on the shelf it will be near the bottom of the league. Doesn't mean we will crater, but the SP needs to shove and the outfield defense needs to at least be average.

If anyone wants to wager on us averaging 4.5+ runs a game (what would be middle of the road league production I believe) over the next 4 weeks I'll gladly take your money.
MrCoachEricTaylor
I was looking at the highlights from the Frisco game, and gotta say.. Carter looks like he has some nice muscle on him now!
JPN06
vander54 said:

JPN06 said:

It was an opinion yes, and accuracy aside, I agree with the overall point
But it's an opinion that can be shot down quickly with actual data. Therefore it's a not an accurate opinion.

But this argument is stupid.

Every Rangers fan on here knows our hitting is not elite. It's good enough to win many games though.
My only point is that the P-Joe has a right to:

1. Have the opinion that hitting is not that good (especially without Seager) despite the statistics in a very small sample so far indicating otherwise, and...

2. Be a Rangers fan through and through despite being critical of one or more aspects of the team.

These things are not mutually exclusive. While anyone can of course disagree with any opinion, thinking that you can disprove an opinion or label it "inaccurate" (especially one like this that is not that far-fetched) because of supporting facts is a narcissist POV. the "accuracy" of an opinion is mostly just a matter of perspective and you're right, any argument with a person that doesn't understand that is stupid.

I agree with the guy. I think our hitting without Seager is mediocre. IMO our offensive performance so far has been buoyed by a bit of good fortune combined with guys that (aside from Lowe and Jung) are playing over their heads and with the Seager injury and without our pitching staff carrying us (which I believe they can), we're not going to win 88 or even 78 games. I don't have confidence that this lineup is going to produce enough runs to support winning a lot of games without getting a bunch of quality starts from our SP.

vander54
S
Not that we didnt already know this but...

Https://www.mlb.com/news/best-minor-league-teams-for-each-organization-2023?partnerID=mlbapp-android_article-share

Quote:

Rangers: Frisco RoughRiders (Double-A)
Frisco topped our rankings of the most loaded rosters in the Minors. The Rangers' four best prospects all are at Double-A Frisco: outfielder Evan Carter, right-handers Owen White and Jack Leiter, and shortstop Luisangel Acuña. Other talents of note on the RoughRiders are outfielder Dustin Harris, righties Tekoah Roby and Marc Church, and infielder Thomas Saggese.
World's worst proofreader
Tksymm7
AG
Alright fellas, here are some of our team numbers through the first 11 games of the season.

Batting (ranking out of 30 teams) per FANGRAPHS:
445 PA
14 HR (16/30)
67 R (5/30)
64 RBI (7/30)
4 SB (24/30)
8.3% BB% (19/30)
22.2% K% (16/30)
.168 ISO (10/30)
.285 BABIP (20/30)
.243 AVG (18/30)
.310 OBP (23/30)
.410 SLG (16/30)
.316 wOBA (20/30)

100 wRC+ (16/30)
-0.5 BsR (18/30)
-0.8 Off (17/30)
1.5 Def (8/30)
1.5 WAR (17/30)

Corey Seager is the best hitter on the team up to this point with a 0.5 WAR.

If anyone needs an explanation for a statistic I would be more than happy to explain. I'll try to do one of these for the pitching later when I have more time.
KT 90
AG

Quincey P. Morris
AG
That definitely needed to happen.
Grapesoda2525
The only issue is both Sborz and Barlow stink too. We needed to sign one more reliever, but I'll say adding smith has been a good move.
vander54
S
Grapesoda2525 said:

The only issue is both Sborz and Barlow stink too. We needed to sign one more reliever, but I'll say adding smith has been a good move.

Barlow has a career 2.51 ERA in 64 innings

Sborz was good in 21 and bad in 22
rbtexan
S
I like Barlow much, much more than Sborz.

Sborz had a decent 21, not great - if you consider a 4.42 ERA "decent" from a bullpen guy (I personally don't). He's got a career ERA of almost 5 in over 90 appearances. He is what is, an adequate at best bullpen arm, and a 29 year old arm at that. If he was going to figure it out he would've by now.

Barlow, on the other hand, has a career 2.81 ERA in 66 career appearances, and he's 27. That I can get behind.

Sborz has had his chances and I personally think he should be the last option from AAA and a borderline DFA candidate.
Jimbo Franchione
vander54
S
Sborz had a 3.95 ERA in 21. Walks have always been an issue though.
rbtexan
S
My apologies, the website I pulled up had bad info.

Regardless, Sborz is effectively a right handed Hearn. Looks great one day and then God awful the next.

As a team/organization, the Rangers really need to get past being a landing spot for pitchers like those two.
Jimbo Franchione
Tksymm7
AG
Here are the team pitching stats.

Pitching (Ranking out of 30 teams):

107.0 IP
10.35 K/9 (3/30)
2.86 BB/9 (25/30)
0.84 HR/9 (22/30 lower the better for this)
.327 BABIP (4/30)
67.8% LOB% (25/30)
39.6% GB% (26/30)
8.7% HR/FB (24/30 lower the better for this)
95.5 vFA (pi) (2/30)
3.95 ERA (22/30 lower the better for this)
3.30 FIP (28/30 lower the better for this)
3.85 xFIP (27/30 lower the better for this)
2.3 WAR (2/30)
116 ERA+ (10/30)

DeGrom has obviously been the dude and Martin Perez has been consistent, but Jon Gray has had a very good start as well.
fc2112
FWIW - in tonight's matchup, Luis Garcia has been pretty bad in his two starts this year. ERA of 7. His K rate is about 1 per inning, which is fine. His HR per 9 innings is 2, which is not good. He is also walking about 5 per 9 innings, which is no bueno.

Perez has been excellent. ERA of 2.53, 12 Ks and 5 walks.

AgBQ-00
AG
Hoping the bats give Martin lots of run support tonight
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Switched to Fubo from DirecTV to save a couple bucks. DirecTV stream makes you call or chat to cancel. They made an offer to retain me as a customer: a $10 open month discount and three months of movies whatever that means. It hardly seems like they really even tried.
KT 90
AG
I'd prefer Barlow, but Sborz it is:

Tksymm7
AG
He'll be optioned again soon enough lol
MrCoachEricTaylor
Boooooooo
hawk1689
AG
We need to launch Sborz into the sun.
rbtexan
S
I suspect this will be his last shot. If he's not effective there's a DFA in his future.
Jimbo Franchione
KT 90
AG
lol! Sborz will probably now come in and strike out the side

I'd love for him to come in and prove us all wrong.
Tksymm7
AG
Yeah Sborz is out of options, so I was wrong above. He'll either stick or get booted.
fc2112
Watching the Astros broadcast tonight. Dusty Baker in pregame is very complimentary of the Rangers coaching staff, especially Bochy and Maddux. As much as I dislike the Astros, I find it hard to dislike Dusty Baker.
fc2112
Wow - Garcia gets out over the middle of the plate on an 0-2 count to Lowe. Dumb ass.
fc2112
Jankowski hitting like a man playing for his job.

Good.
fc2112
This plate umpire is exceptionally good.
Mr Gigem
AG
That's a HR right?
fc2112
Legal Custodian
AG
Mr Gigem said:

That's a HR right?

Yup!
vander54
S
Mr Gigem said:

That's a HR right?

Wouldn't know. I can't watch
DeangeloVickers
AG
So weird to have a line in that spot of the field. At least they dont have a hill in CF anymore
fc2112
Chas McCormick hurt himself on that HR ball. Out of the game.
Mr Gigem
AG
That's a HR in 1/30 ballparks
fc2112
Brad Miler sucks violently
First Page Last Page
Page 35 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.