*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,324,295 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
rbtexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Texas Rangers MiLB Site

By way of making up for my last post, and as a public service to my fellow Ranger fans, here's a link you might want to bookmark. It's the MiLB site for the Rangers, and there you can get news on our minor league teams & players - more importantly, you can get updated stats on players on a daily basis if you choose. I personally look at all the rosters about once a week - gives me a pretty good feel on who's doing well, etc.

Disclaimer about minor league stats, in particular pitching: it's hard to really know how a player is doing by looking at ERA, batting average, OBP, or any single stat alone. For pitchers, I try to look at their hits/walks/Ks to innings pitched ratio. For batters, I look a lot at OBP and OPS, but I dig a bit deeper and look at walks & Ks as well. Bottom line is you can't always look at player X and say he's having a bad year because he's hitting .225....his OBP may be .375 with a low strike out rate...that could improve over time, especially with really young players (Max Cauley, for example). On the flip side, I never get excited by breakout seasons from players in their mid to late 20s if they have 5+ years of minor league experience. There aren't many Nelson Cruz's out there that figure it out at 28.

Enjoy!

Jimbo Franchione
KT 90
AG
gigem1223 said:

Tksymm7 said:

Taveras was activated from the IL today as Seager was put on the 10-day. My guess is that we see a lot of Taveras in CF and obviously Adolis in RF, although he's got to figure the defense out in a big way. What do we do in LF? Grossman brings the ability to switch hit and perhaps more power, but is a very average defensive outfielder, while Thomspon brings the increased defense and elite speed, but maybe less at the plate (although i'd make the argument that Thompson offers just as much as Grossman at the plate).

My regular OF at this point would be
RF: Adolis
CF: Leody
LF: Bubba

Need to give bubba a fair chance. He's superior to Grossman defensively and provides a spark at the bottom of the line up. Grossman is what he is. An average to below average defender and average to below average hitter.

Agreed on giving Thompson a legit shot at starting. I was calling for that in the off-season and ST. He's got speed and defense, give him a shot to hit at this level. Worst case we could always try to find an OF bat closer to the trade deadline.

Jankowski also has speed and defense, but he's been around the MLB for a number of years now and has never really hit. His early season success at the plate isn't likely to hold up, but might as well ride him as long as we can.
PatriotAg02
AG
Really like that Nate works ahead most of the time. Good start!
AgBQ-00
AG
Alright bats. Let's get started early tonight
Mr Gigem
AG
Out celebrating the new house tonight. Y'all keep me up to date
Tksymm7
AG
Semien is the most unlucky hitter on this team
AgBQ-00
AG
Lowe with the long ball!!
AgBQ-00
AG
Congrats!!
PatriotAg02
AG
Looked out
PatriotAg02
AG
And I'm wrong
AgBQ-00
AG
Jung going to have to make up for his error
Tksymm7
AG
Man…errors continue to hurt this team
PatriotAg02
AG
3 spot ouch
AgBQ-00
AG
They need to mute the howling woman behind home plate
Coppell97
AG
Was ruled a hit. Looked like an error.
Tksymm7
AG
Definitely an E. Even Valle said that one should get looked at and re-ruled.
AgBQ-00
AG
I'm scoring it an e5
gigem1223
Well hit balls not finding holes early
Tksymm7
AG
If you're keeping a book, how many runs have been scored either directly from errors or because we didn't get out of an inning because of an error?
AgBQ-00
AG
Unfortunately have not scored all the games this year. I'm just picking back up again since I have not kept a scorebook since high-school.
gigem1223
Bad Eovaldi tonight
AgBQ-00
AG
That one got turned around.
AgBQ-00
AG
Bats going to have to give him some support tonight.
Coppell97
AG
Tksymm7 said:

If you're keeping a book, how many runs have been scored either directly from errors or because we didn't get out of an inning because of an error?
right now, all 4 are earned runs. If they change ruling to an error on Jung in top of 2nd, 3 of the runs would become unearned.
Tksymm7
AG
Appreciate it! I know it's not official, but that play has to get made by Jung in that spot. That's how a 1 run inning goes completely off the rails. Need to come back again.
Coppell97
AG
Agreed. Defense is so important. Have to make the plays. Missing a play or two that should be made totally flips outcomes of games.
gigem1223
And another boneheaded defensive play
AgBQ-00
AG
Oof. Communicate guys
AgBQ-00
AG
Adolis has a cannon but is not the most accurate
AgBQ-00
AG
Eovaldi is not hitting his spots tonight
gigem1223
Bush league Rangers tonight
AgBQ-00
AG
One gripe I have is being able to hear the suites behind home plate. Just don't like that
PatriotAg02
AG
Chip-away theory time
Coppell97
AG
Where are Thompson and Jankowski? How do we sit those guys. And no Heim . . .
Tksymm7
AG
The next step for the Rangers is being consistent on a night to night basis. You still might get beat, but you aren't beating yourself. The elite teams show up and they are the same team every day. Some nights your hits might not be there, some nights the pitching might not be, but the at-bats you take are the same, the fielding is the same, and how you approach the game is the same.
First Page Last Page
Page 33 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.