*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,346,603 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
fc2112
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So after diving head first into the wood chipper that is (1) the dude who struck out 9 straight, then (2) arguably the best pitcher in baseball right now - the Royals get (3) last year's ace and All Star pitcher for us.

Tough draw for the Royals.
Tksymm7
AG
Eovaldi is starting today.
gigem1223
The Rangers starting 5, when healthy, is one of the best rotations in baseball. Should keep us in most games.
Legal Custodian
AG
Haven't seen this mentioned, but a couple of teams (including the Rangers) have extended the duration of alcohol sales by an inning due to the new rules shortening games. I wonder what this shortened game time has done/will do to concession sales. I wonder if concession providers will be wanting to renegotiate their contracts with the teams due to decreased sales.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/36166936/some-mlb-teams-extend-beer-sales-reaction-shorter-games
Legal Custodian
AG
Just looked for a comparison as it seems there is a ton more traffic on the season thread then there was in years past.

Last year 13 days after the season opener, the season thread was on page 15. Right now we're on page 32. Crazy what winning baseball brings to the fanbase
fc2112
I thought it was Perez's turn. My bad.
Tksymm7
AG
All good! Just goes to show how much deeper we are on the mound.
fc2112
The big dude Brad Keller is pitching for KC. Good matchup.
KT 90
AG
Current plan for SS and 2B:

TexAg1822
AG
I believe Smith played SS while at LSU? So it may be his natural position hopefully, and I like his ability to get on base
Tksymm7
AG
Smith can really really pick it in the middle infield. I think this is the right decision. Plus, Semien has been an everyday 2nd baseman now for 3 or so years, let him continue to play there.
DallasAg 94
Some new faces has been good.

The fact the games are not on TV (and weren't last year) would slow traffic, IMO. I know I post more during games when I'm actually watching it.

Some of you may cherish the fact I'm not watching as much.
KT 90
AG
Here is the Kumar Rocker update; it's Hi-A ball, so he has a ways to go still, but I'll take positive outings:

Mr Gigem
AG
investorAg83
AG
KT 90 said:

Here is the Kumar Rocker update; it's Hi-A ball, so he has a ways to go still, but I'll take positive outings:

53 pitches through five innings is efficient. Having 8 k's to go with it is stellar.
Tksymm7
AG
Do we know what his velocity was and what pitches he was throwing?
DallasAg 94
investorAg83 said:

KT 90 said:

53 pitches through five innings is efficient. Having 8 k's to go with it is stellar.
I think he is likely going to try to make the case to push through the organization sooner than later.

With his recent physical concerns and his lack of going deep into a season, I'd expect the Rangers to have him on some serious limits.

Normally this early, you are looking at minor league SPs going 2-3 IP. That could easily equate to 60 PC, so I wonder if that was about where they wanted him.

Historically, MiLB used the same 5 SP rotation, but with the new structure... many lower-level leagues have gone with a 6 SP rotation. That is in part because they now play 6 days with a day of travel. That should limit the number of outings he gets. I suspect they'll want him in the 125 IP range by the end of the season, but if he is throwing 10 P/IP, it may be higher.
fc2112
gigem1223
Thank God
Proposition Joe
Legal Custodian said:

Haven't seen this mentioned, but a couple of teams (including the Rangers) have extended the duration of alcohol sales by an inning due to the new rules shortening games. I wonder what this shortened game time has done/will do to concession sales. I wonder if concession providers will be wanting to renegotiate their contracts with the teams due to decreased sales.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/36166936/some-mlb-teams-extend-beer-sales-reaction-shorter-games

It's one of those things that seems obvious but you didn't really think about with the rule changes.

Opening Day there was some milkshake booth right outside our seats. I knew they weren't gonna be quick, but the Top of the 8th had just started so I figured plenty of time to get my treat and back to our seats to usher my parents out of there at game-end. I got my order with 1 out left in the game -- and that was only because a late Phillies hit. Not their fault, just crazy with concessions how much of the actual game you are now missing standing in long lines.
ClassOf17
Seager 10 day IL.

Activated Leody.
fc2112
gigem1223
Well ***** Better now, than later in the year. His bat is definitely going to be missed. Time for other guys to step up in his absence.
beagle2009
AG
fc2112 said:

Ballssssss
fc2112
Was anyone watching Jankowski in the dugout last night to see if he was sticking needles in a Seager voodoo doll?
Tksymm7
AG
We definitely avoided the worst outcome, but dang missing Seager's bat for up to four weeks is going to hurt. Let's grind it out and get through it.
Water Boy
AG
A hamstring injury is not to play with. Those injuries can reoccur at anytime.
Grapesoda2525
Really sucks to lose Seager before the Astros series. We gotta figure out a way to get 1 down there.
Water Boy
AG
With the injuries and slow start for Houston we should be going for two wins.
AgBQ-00
AG
Really glad it is just a strain. But I'm betting we are looking at 6 weeks if they are wanting to let it fully heal. Don't want to come back too soon and it keep recurring. Beltre had these pop up quite a bit and he sometimes came back too quickly.
Tksymm7
AG
Taveras was activated from the IL today as Seager was put on the 10-day. My guess is that we see a lot of Taveras in CF and obviously Adolis in RF, although he's got to figure the defense out in a big way. What do we do in LF? Grossman brings the ability to switch hit and perhaps more power, but is a very average defensive outfielder, while Thomspon brings the increased defense and elite speed, but maybe less at the plate (although i'd make the argument that Thompson offers just as much as Grossman at the plate).
gigem1223
Tksymm7 said:

Taveras was activated from the IL today as Seager was put on the 10-day. My guess is that we see a lot of Taveras in CF and obviously Adolis in RF, although he's got to figure the defense out in a big way. What do we do in LF? Grossman brings the ability to switch hit and perhaps more power, but is a very average defensive outfielder, while Thomspon brings the increased defense and elite speed, but maybe less at the plate (although i'd make the argument that Thompson offers just as much as Grossman at the plate).

My regular OF at this point would be
RF: Adolis
CF: Leody
LF: Bubba

Need to give bubba a fair chance. He's superior to Grossman defensively and provides a spark at the bottom of the line up. Grossman is what he is. An average to below average defender and average to below average hitter.
Tksymm7
AG
I agree. I really like the way he has looked and progressed at the plate. He's starting to recognize how pitchers want to pitch him and what pitches they want to throw. I'd love to see his OBP continue to rise because his speed is almost an auto stolen base or a run if the ball is put in the outfield in any way.
Mr Gigem
AG
Water Boy said:

With the injuries and slow start for Houston we should be going for two wins.

Why settle for two?? Sick of this type of mindset. **** that and **** the asstros. Let's get all three
rbtexan
S

Quote:

What do we do in LF?

Maybe the Twins would be willing to trade us Joey Gallo for Kumar and Leiter....

OK I couldn't type that with a straight face...n/m
Jimbo Franchione
First Page Last Page
Page 32 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.