*****Official Texas Rangers 2023 Season Thread***** [Staff Warning]

2,231,965 Views | 40589 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by LeagueCityAg
gigem1223
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bombi really having a battle with that sun
Dwb22
AG
Adolis could make tying his shoes look exciting
bert harbinson
AG
Out! I think.
Mr Gigem
AG
Would love to see these three posters try to catch a fly ball out there right now. Sun is brutal
gigem1223
Meh they're just bitter cuz we have a better right fielder. Anyone who calls Adolis a horrible OF is an idiot.
Mr Gigem
AG

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
What ****ing dorks.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Nice seats!!
DallasAg 94
Are those Astros fans?

I'm waiting for their player to show himself.
gigem1223
Man how sweet it would be to have a Cano and a Bautista in the pen
Coppell97
AG
That ball was so foul. Glad they made right call.
gigem1223
How is a guy with a 4.14 era an all star?
DallasAg 94
gigem1223 said:

How is a guy with a 4.14 era an all star?
DEI.
gigem1223
The broadcast is terrible this inning. No one gives a **** about nonsense from Arod, Papi and Jeter.
gigem1223
Who is closing if it's not Bautista?
DallasAg 94
gigem1223 said:

Man how sweet it would be to have a Cano and a Bautista in the pen
Too soon?
DallasAg 94
How good would the Cardinals be if they kept their players?

Selected:
Adolis Garcia signed in 2017. Traded/purchased by Texas
Randy Arozarena signed in 2016. Traded to Tampa
Sandy Alcantara signed in 2013. Traded with Gallen for Ozuna

Drafted
Zac Gallen (3rd Rd 2016) Traded to Miami for Marcell Ozuna

Those are just the AllStar participants on other teams that I noticed.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Rangers went 0fer tonight in the AS game.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Grapesoda2525
Adolis arm is better than the 3 Astro outfield arms out together.
DallasAg 94
Bochy needs to right the ship. Defense looked good, but nothing Offensively.
gigem1223
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Means squat. But congrats on all the blue stars from all the bitter Astro lurkers.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
gigem1223 said:

Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Means squat. But congrats on all the blue stars from all the bitter Astro lurkers.

The Asstros lone rep was 0fer too.

I know it means squat, especially when batters are facing a fresh pitcher every inning. It was still disappointing. Heim got hosed in his first AB and he knew it.
Double Talkin' Jive...
jkag89
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

meh. One meaningless game. As a fan it is fun when your team's representative(s) make a substantive contribution in the game but when would you rather then go 0fer, in an exhibition game or ones that mean something down the road?
Tksymm7
AG
jkag89 said:

Fuzzy Dunlop said:

meh. One meaningless game. As a fan it is fun when your team's representative(s) make a substantive contribution in the game but when would you rather then go 0fer, in an exhibition game or ones that mean something down the road?
The entire starting lineup had three hits total. It would've been fun for our guys to show well, but I really couldn't care much less.
DallasAg 94
Now for the next phase of MLB. The Trade Deadline.
Mr Gigem
AG
Wtf

rbtexan
S
TMI is TMI
Jimbo Franchione
MrCoachEricTaylor
Why do some people talk like that?
Blanco Jimenez
AG
Matt Bush signed to a minor league deal.
Grapesoda2525
Mr Gigem said:

Wtf

So you have that guy and the guy who refers to the Astros as "daddy", the Astros thread has their fair share of creeps.
fc2112
Just for fun, here's Ohtani hitting a ball through the roof of the Tokyodome. Facial expressions of coaches is the best part.

Water Boy
AG
I love when older fans get so offended when people say Shohei is one of the greatest ever. Obviously he needs to play at this level for a longer period of time but no doubt if he keeps this up he will be remembered as one of the best to ever play the game.
DallasAg 94
What Ohtani is doing is neat. However, he would never be able to do what he is doing say... 40 years ago. It is hard to compare players of different generations.

When asked at the ASG how he stays fit, he said he sleeps and works on being efficient. That was a red flag to me. Let's pretend that is what he does... he just rests and works on not wasting energy on needless movements.

Just for fodder and discussion... Compare him to Don Drysdale.

Career: 14 yrs, 465 GS, 2.95 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, 167 CG, 49 SHO, 3432.0 IP.

In Drysdales two years of age 26 & 27 (the 2 full years Ohtani has pitched):
DD: 82 GS, 2.40 ERA, 38 CG, 8 SHO, 636.2 IP, 1.027 WHIP. Over 7 2/3 IP/GS
SO: 51 GS, 2.70 ERA, 00 CG, 0 SHO, 296.1 IP, 1.046 WHIP. Over 5 2/3 IP/GS

DD pitched in a 4 man rotation and averaged almost 8 IP/GS. Pitched in 25.3% of games
SH: pitched in a 5 man rotation and averaged almost 6 IP/GS. Pitch in 15.7% of games

I'm comparing those seasons because we only have 2 seasons of Ohtani pitching in 2 full seasons of MLB.

In '63 DD pitched a CG SHO to beat the NYY in the WS.

The NL did not have a DH and as such, DD would hit as a normal member of the lineup.

This goes back to Ohtani's statement. In the NL, when a P was hitting, he might be on base to end the inning, which meant he'd go from the base to the dugout and then to the mound. He couldn't spend the time between innings "being efficient" nor could he study opposing batter information that he'd face the next inning.

Just in those 2 years, DD spent twice as many innings throwing from the mound compared to Ohtani. The controversy over the DH in general comes into play. Ohtani avg 94 PC/GS. Would he be as well rested the next day having thrown 130 PC knowing he got 3 days rest as opposed to 4?

SP these days are lucky if they go 150 IP. There were 8 SP in 2022 that broke 200 IP. The top 3 were 228.2, 205.0, and 202.1.

DD pitched over 300 IP in 4 consecutive seasons. His lowest for a full season was 221.2.

I'd bet 99% of modern baseball players had never heard of Don Drysdale and most wouldn't put him in their Top 25 SPs. This list has him as the #3 Dodger. Personally, I like Hershiser more, but that's a conversation for another day.

As MLB has diminished the load on pitchers... going from a 4 man to 5 man rotation. Reducing the number of PC for SP, IMO, it makes what Ohtani is doing more and more likely. Not necessarily easier, but more likely. Those DD years were '63-64. In 1968, DD (age 31) went 31 GS, 2.15 ERA, 239.0 IP, avg over 7 2/3 IP/GS, 12 CG, 8 SHO. That year, he went 6 consecutive SHOs and 58 2/3 consecutive scoreless innings.

In 1969, to start the season, MLB reduced the size of the mound from 15" to 10". Granted, the LAD were believed to have the mound even higher than 15", so at 6'5-6'6" those pitches were barrelling in on you. In 1969, DD went 12GS, 4.45 ERA and retired from the game. He went from a career 6.5 SO9 to 3.4SO9 in 1969. Oh... he blew out his rotator cuff as the reason he retired. The point is, the game changes over generations. Does the pitch clock help or hurt the pitcher? I think it depends.

It doesn't diminish the coolness factor or the impressive nature of what Ohtani has been able to do. It makes it difficult to compare players in different generations.
Water Boy
AG
Agree you can't fairly compare players in different eras but too often I see older fans claim that players back in the day were better and no matter what the newer players can't get to that level. It happens in every sport.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94 said:

<snip>

In Drysdales two years of age 26 & 27 (the 2 full years Ohtani has pitched):
DD: 82 GS, 2.40 ERA, 38 CG, 8 SHO, 636.2 IP, 1.027 WHIP. Over 7 2/3 IP/GS
SO: 51 GS, 2.70 ERA, 00 CG, 0 SHO, 296.1 IP, 1.046 WHIP. Over 5 2/3 IP/GS

<snip>

DD pitched over 300 IP in 4 consecutive seasons. His lowest for a full season was 221.2.

<snip>
It just occurred to me that Drysdale pitched more IP in a single season than Ohtani pitched in both of his full seasons. AND... Drysdale did that 4 consecutive seasons.
First Page Last Page
Page 279 of 1160

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.