***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,514,667 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
FrioAg 00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Second place for me, behind what Johnny did to Bama in 2012.

I scared the whole damn neighborhood that night.
Farmer1906
AG
Players with the lowest WPA in the postseason. A lot of Astros, Astros victums, and... Jeter (WFT?)

Position Players

Pitchers

Prosperdick
AG
TarponChaser said:

Prosperdick said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Shocked it isn't worse. Also, it doesn't include the missed foul tip which could have EASILY opened up the floodgates.

It really blows my mind that the foul tip isn't a reviewable play.
It's silly to include that in "balls and strikes" when we can use review to see if a ball hit a player, especially when trying to determine if the ball hit the player's hand or the bat but we can't use it to see if a foul tip occurred.

Something Manfred should change but likely won't. Also, you just know thousands of spiteful fans were celebrating that we got screwed over as if it was some cosmic justice. Sorry losers, keep hating.
West Roxbury

The Porkchop Express
AG
West Roxbury said:

Go go Astros!
Making it my ringtone, because honestly, who needs to do work today?

And don't forget the B side!

NE PA Ag
I agree that the dynasty has already happened and the rest is gravy (and I always like extra gravy).

What about all time franchise success? The Astros are now the most successful expansion franchise in baseball history if measured in LCS appearances, pennants and WS titles. I argue that the franchise is even with Cleveland all time now. Add one more WS title and you can argue more or equal success than the O's, White Sox, Twins, Cubs and Phillies, all original 'Classic 8' teams.
Mathguy64
AG
Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Beat40 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Wow. Bags was just bad

To be fair to Biggio and Bagwell, they did face one of the best rotations in baseball history every year in the postseason. And Kevin Brown.

This excuse doesn't play for me. The current run has lit up dozens of Cy Young candidates and Unhittable closers. Plus pitching has never been better than it is now.
The key distinction to what I said and what you said is rotation. Meaning one team.

Smoltz, Glavine, and Maddux is a better rotation than the current run has faced. Those guys are aces 1, 1, 1 on one team and in a 3 game series every year.
And for all that rotation plus the random 4th in people like Kevin Millwood or Steve Avery (who were a #2/3 on every other team in MLB) they still won only 1 WS.
iBrad
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Beat40 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Wow. Bags was just bad

To be fair to Biggio and Bagwell, they did face one of the best rotations in baseball history every year in the postseason. And Kevin Brown.

This excuse doesn't play for me. The current run has lit up dozens of Cy Young candidates and Unhittable closers. Plus pitching has never been better than it is now.

I think it was more a combination of the pitchers and the width of strike zone in those days, particularly for the Braves. These days we complain about pitches just off the black being called strikes. They were getting four inches off the plate. Not good for a hitter like Biggio that had a tendency to chase sliders away or a pull hitter like Bagwell.
All I do is Nguyen
My wife was freaking out and thought I had lost my mind

Which I had at that moment
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
tjack16
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Happy Anniversary

One of the only times I've ever been happy to get the score notification before the swing. Xfinity was about two pitches behind
West Roxbury
The Porkchop Express said:

West Roxbury said:

Go go Astros!
Making it my ringtone, because honestly, who needs to do work today?

And don't forget the B side!

Getting Porky and Choppy…. Let's goooooo !!!
All I do is Nguyen
To counter act the "Creed boys" in south Oklahoma I've been blasting Slipknot all afternoon
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Farmer1906
AG
Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Beat40 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Wow. Bags was just bad

The key distinction to what I said and what you said is rotation. Meaning one team.

Smoltz, Glavine, and Maddux is a better rotation than the current run has faced. Those guys are aces 1, 1, 1 on one team and in a 3 game series every year.
I get it, but why did other teams hit them in the playoffs. The Marlins had no problem getting to all 3 of them in 1997. The Yankees swept right thru them in 1999. DBacks got to Maddux, but by 2001 Smoltz was closing. What is the excuse vs Andy Ashby & Sterling Hitchcock? I know the Killer Bs were older in 2004, but who's scared of Jaret Wright, Mike Hampton, Russ Ortiz, & John Thomson in 2004?

Biggio is my all-time favorite player. 17 Astros have 80 PA in the postseason. Biggio is only ahead of Josh Reddick & Martin Maldonado in wRC+.

This post had me reading names I had not read in a long long time.

One more fun stat.

Name brand pitchers whom the Astros core [Altuve, Springer, Correa, Bregman, Alvarez, & Tucker] has killed. (min 50 pitches)
Adam Ottovino - 1.433
Jose Alvarado - 1.389
Aaron Nola - 1.139
Craig Kimbrel - 1.138
Chris Sale - 1.074
Frankie Montas - 1.044
Tyler Glasnow - 1.038
David Robertson - 0.991
Sonny Gray - 0.988
Luis Castillo - 0.980
Nathan Eovaldi - 0.978
Gerrit Cole - 0.917
James Paxton - 0.912
Zack Wheeler - 0.833
Stephen Strasburg - 0.821
Kenley Jansen - 0.787
superaggie73
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Players with the lowest WPA in the postseason. A lot of Astros, Astros victums, and... Jeter (WFT?)

Position Players

Pitchers

Robbie Ray
Farmer1906
AG
ALCS Rotations

If we win today
1 - Verlander
2 - Valdez
3 - Javier
4 - Urquidy/France
5 - Verlander
6 - Valdez
7 - Javier

If we lose today, win on Friday
1 - Valdez
2 - Javier
3 - Verlander
4 - Urquidy/France
5 - Valdez
6 - Javier
7 - Verlander

If we lose today & Friday
NA

While option 1 is the best, option 2 is not terrible at all. We'd still get all 3 of our top arms with 2 starts in a 7 game series.
OKCAg2002
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Happy Anniversary
I love that Cuban so much.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Buxton hadn't played since Aug 1. He went on the IL Aug 4. He was hitting .207 at the time.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Kind of refreshing to see a team managed in this way.

Urquidy

Year - vs L wOBA/FIP - vs R wOBA/FIP
2021 - .247 / 4.01 - .308 / 4.64
2022 - .294 / 4.16 - .334 / 5.24
2023 - .319 / 5.45 - .354 / 5.49

linkdude
AG
gougler08
AG
Don't really understand Brantley in LF vs. Yordan, but considering we know Martin is a guarantee to catch every game, bout as good as the lineup can be
Beau Holder
AG
Farmer1906 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Kind of refreshing to see a team managed in this way.

Urquidy

Year - vs L wOBA/FIP - vs R wOBA/FIP
2021 - .247 / 4.01 - .308 / 4.64
2022 - .294 / 4.16 - .334 / 5.24
2023 - .319 / 5.45 - .354 / 5.49

I was about to say imagine using things like splits when constructing a lineup.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
gougler08 said:

Don't really understand Brantley in LF vs. Yordan, but considering we know Martin is a guarantee to catch every game, bout as good as the lineup can be
It gives Dusty the flexibility to sub out Brantley and put in Dubon without having to lose Yordan's bat. I kinda wish they had stuck with Dubon in CF, he was great at getting slap hits to move guys along.
texasaggie2015
AG
Dubon, Chas... doesn't matter to me at this point. But for the love of God please stick with one and let him find a rhythm.
Beau Holder
AG
Although nominally I agree, Chas is simply the better player when he's right and I'm hoping sitting yesterday might've helped him refresh.
Ag_07
AG
linkdude said:

Farmer1906
AG
Beau Holder said:

Although nominally I agree, Chas is simply the better player when he's right and I'm hoping sitting yesterday might've helped him refresh.
Here is why Chas should be playing vs a pitcher who throws almost 60% 4-seam fastballs.

vs RHP, 4 Seam

Chas & Tuva with a wOBA >.500.

Ag_07
AG
F'in Maldy 2nd to last sandwiched in between Jake Meyers and David Hensley
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Chas better put it together b/c Dubon has been the better player of recent.
tjack16
AG

Corbin Martin
Ag_07
AG
Niko Goodrum
Tyler Clippard
Grae Kessinger
texasaggie2015
AG
Dean Deetz
Mr.Bond
AG
Cameron Maybin
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

First Page Last Page
Page 2788 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.