***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,514,926 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Boiling Denim
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mr.Bond said:

As tremendous of a run as Atlanta had there is no way in hell I can call anything a dynasty when it has a total of one championships during that run
I think it's fair to say they were a National League dynasty. Especially back then before Interleague play and the DH.
Cromagnum
AG
Buck Compton said:

agproducer said:

They are celebrating, but STILL thinking of the Astros.

wE dON't CaRe aBOuT hOUstOn!! /rangers and their fans

Unoriginal *******s. LOL
Wabs
AG
This would be pretty kick ass if the Texans did this.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
07ag
AG
W said:

Wabs said:

I'd have to look all this crap up for comparison, but what dynasties have there been since say 1960?

A's?
Reds?
Yankees?
Braves?

I would think this Astros run would be a close comparison. What we need to leave no doubt is a back-to-back championship.
perhaps hard to believe...

but the Astros have matched the Big Red Machine of the 1970's

the Reds had a 7 season run (1970-1976) of 4 World Series appearances and 2 titles plus 5 NLCS appearances
you could say exceeded, as Astros have more lcs appearances, and the Reds had a few years without playoffs
https://ts.la/eric59704
Prosperdick
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Shocked it isn't worse. Also, it doesn't include the missed foul tip which could have EASILY opened up the floodgates.
houag78
AG
Well, that last AB was something. Down 0-2, works the count to a 9 pitch AB. They were trying to get him to strike out on high fastball (his supposed weakness). Kinda showed them !!
bearkatag15
AG
790AM just asked the question, "Is Bryan Abreu the greatest setup reliever in Astros history?"

He's probably getting close
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Bob Lee
AG
agproducer said:

That's pretty good, but I'd have waited to see if the Astros miss the LCS this year first.
Beat40
I wish they would have kept the game at 1. I'm ready for it to be over.
bearkatag15
AG

Wow. Bags was just bad
FrioAg 00
AG
Only when it counted, like the playoffs.
Prosperdick
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Wow. Bags was just bad
It's incredible to think of all the playoff misery we endured with Bags and Biggio batting like Dubon (actually not even that good for most of their post-season careers) contrasted with all the guys we've watched during this run.

Hopefully we take the next step tonight.
Project Gemini
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Wow. Bags was just bad
He's having a bad year this year too with the Astros
The Porkchop Express
AG
bearkatag15 said:

790AM just asked the question, "Is Bryan Abreu the greatest setup reliever in Astros history?"

He's probably getting close
One more season of comparable stats would probably do it.

I looked up Dotel to compare His peak was 01-03

2001 he was 7-5 with a 2.66 ERA, 20 GF , 2 saves, 105 IP, 145 K
2002 he was 6-4, with a 1.85 ERA, 22 GF, 4 saves, 97.1 IP< 118 K
2003 he was 6-4, with a 2.48 ERA, 13 GF, 4 saves, 87 IP< 97 K

He was bad in a very small playoff sample: 5.40 ERA in 3.1 innings in 2001.

Abreu was bad in '21, but

2022: 4-0, 1.94 ERA, 18 GF, 2 saves, 88 K in 60.1 innings
2023: 3-2, 1.75 ERA, 16 GF, 5 saves, 100 K in 72 innings

To date, he has a 1.26 ERA in 13 playoff games covering 14.1 innings with 24 K
The Porkchop Express
AG
Prosperdick said:

bearkatag15 said:

Wow. Bags was just bad
It's incredible to think of all the playoff misery we endured with Bags and Biggio batting like Dubon (actually not even that good for most of their post-season careers) contrasted with all the guys we've watched during this run.

Bagwell has 2 career post-season home runs in 129 plate appearances. Biggio also had two, in 185 plate appearances. Both of them trail Brad Ausmus (3 in 119 PA) in that category. THey also trail Maldonado, who has 3 in 179 PA.

Chef Elko
AG
Wabs said:

That would be pretty sweet! I feel like Cal has to be extremely jealous of the Astros organization.
Beat40
bearkatag15 said:

Wow. Bags was just bad

To be fair to Biggio and Bagwell, they did face one of the best rotations in baseball history every year in the postseason. And Kevin Brown.
Beat40
Danwell Home said:

Wabs said:

That would be pretty sweet! I feel like Cal has to be extremely jealous of the Astros organization.

I actually think the Texans now have a legit GM and head coach now.
fullback44
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Bob Lee said:

If the 1970s Reds are a dynasty, then we are a dynasty. In 10 years they:
1. Went to 6 LCS
2. Won 4 pennants
3. Won 2 WS championships

The Astros did that in 6 years and change.

I don't understand how they're almost universally considered a dynasty, and there's some debate about whether or not this Astros run is a dynasty.
And they also had a massive cheater on the team!

Didn't know Pete was also a farmer ! What a nice tan line .. Ho Lee Chit
Farmer1906
AG
Beat40 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Wow. Bags was just bad

To be fair to Biggio and Bagwell, they did face one of the best rotations in baseball history every year in the postseason. And Kevin Brown.

This excuse doesn't play for me. The current run has lit up dozens of Cy Young candidates and Unhittable closers. Plus pitching has never been better than it is now.
texasaggie2015
AG
To be honest… Bagwell had basically nothing to do with any of the off-season moves. I said earlier in the year that the Montero deal was basically a done deal before Click left. I recently found out that was the case with Abreu and Brantley as well. Bagwell just met with Abreu and his camp to finalize things on behalf of Crane. That's about the only part he had in it.

Besides that.. he really didn't play a role like so many thought he did. He was just an advisor who had a perspective that Crane valued.
Frok
AG
Cromagnum said:

Buck Compton said:

agproducer said:

wE dON't CaRe aBOuT hOUstOn!! /rangers and their fans

Unoriginal *******s. LOL

This statement doesn't work if you haven't been there in over 10 years. Nobody is wondering what it would be like in the ALCS without the Rangers.
bearkatag15
AG

Happy Anniversary
TarponChaser
Prosperdick said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Shocked it isn't worse. Also, it doesn't include the missed foul tip which could have EASILY opened up the floodgates.

It really blows my mind that the foul tip isn't a reviewable play.
The Porkchop Express
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

To be honest… Bagwell had basically nothing to do with any of the off-season moves. I said earlier in the year that the Montero deal was basically a done deal before Click left. I recently found out that was the case with Abreu and Brantley as well. Bagwell just met with Abreu and his camp to finalize things on behalf of Crane. That's about the only part he had in it.

Besides that.. he really didn't play a role like so many thought he did. He was just an advisor who had a perspective that Crane valued.
Please stop trying to insert "the truth" and "facts" into the narrative that we fans have carefully crafted over the past 10 months to explain away bad decisions. It is not welcome and off-putting.
Johnsy3
AG

Prosperdick said:

bearkatag15 said:

Wow. Bags was just bad

Bagwell has 2 career post-season home runs in 129 plate appearances. Biggio also had two, in 185 plate appearances. Both of them trail Brad Ausmus (3 in 119 PA) in that category. THey also trail Maldonado, who has 3 in 179 PA.

Holy crap. What a stat
Project Gemini
AG

texasaggie2015 said:

Please stop trying to insert "the truth" and "facts" into the narrative that we fans have carefully crafted over the past 10 months to explain away bad decisions. It is not welcome and off-putting.
Yeah, agreed. We all know Bags gave Dusty another year, signed awful offseason contracts, waited to hire Dana, forced Maldy to play too much, caused Abreu's lingering injury, inflamed Urquidy's shoulder, force fed Chas too much, threw a pitch at Altuve's hand, and refused to admit that we needed to fix the outfield sightlines. Jeez man, give it a rest.
Mr.Bond
AG

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

gambochaman
AG
I dont think any other sports moment has made me lose my **** as much as that swing did

My kids were legitimately terrified
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Beat40 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Wow. Bags was just bad

This excuse doesn't play for me. The current run has lit up dozens of Cy Young candidates and Unhittable closers. Plus pitching has never been better than it is now.
The key distinction to what I said and what you said is rotation. Meaning one team.

Smoltz, Glavine, and Maddux is a better rotation than the current run has faced. Those guys are aces 1, 1, 1 on one team and in a 3 game series every year.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Mr.Bond said:

I remember trying to stall at an orthodontist visit in 7th grade because they had an Astros-Mets NLCS game on in the office. A damn League Championship game on during a weekday afternoon!
htxag09
AG
gambochaman said:

I dont think any other sports moment has made me lose my **** as much as that swing did

My kids were legitimately terrified
I picked up my almost 2 year old son and ran around the house screaming. When I put him down he said "again, again!"
West Roxbury

Go go Astros!
First Page Last Page
Page 2787 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.