***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,515,204 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
texasaggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have game five tickets... I've never NOT wanted to go to a game more
Prosperdick
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

I am wearing almost the exact same outfit as yesterday and will NOT be watching again since it worked. UGH The sacrifices I make for this team
I'm wearing my Air Yordan shirt I wore for game 1 and game 2. I did wash it during the off day since we lost game 2 but wore it again yesterday and of course wearing it again today.

Now I'm no mathematician but I have discovered a correlation between me wearing the shirt and Yordan hitting at least one home run.
Boiling Denim
Bochy is 13-1 in his last 14 playoff series
tjack16
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

That's how I felt in 2019 for the ALCS. Had game 7 tickets and when LeMeiehu (spell check) hit the tying homerun I was mad I'd have to go the next day
Mathguy64
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Yep. I have 2 tickets. I will gladly take one for the team if they were never used.
All I do is Nguyen
If we clinch today this will be exciting

No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Ag-in-a-Box
AG
Prosperdick said:

linkdude said:

This was in a comment of an earlier Twitter post on position player CWPA, but for pitchers...look at Pressly!! (and Verlander) Also noticed that Alvarez now has more postseason homers than Barry Bonds.
Shouldn't the Pujols homer (which hasn't landed yet by the way, disqualify Lidge from this list?

These lists have a heavy recency bias. Is that just because of the sheer number of extra games in the wild card era?
htxag09
AG
Kind of wish our game was still at 1....going to be a long day.
linkdude
AG
Pretty sure I saw somewhere that the WPA only goes back about 20-30 years.
texasaggie2015
AG
htxag09 said:

Kind of wish our game was still at 1....going to be a long day.
Same here. What am I supposed to do during the work day? Actually work?
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

We faced Joe Ryan earlier in the year and won 5-1. We had Julks in LF and Salazar at C.

Let's finish them today. Want no part of a game 5......
Joe Ryan is like a poor man's Javier. He doesn't get quite as much swing and miss and his secondary stuff is a little different now (was a 2 pitch pitcher before 4-seam/slider), but the batted ball profile and the flat low 90s fastball at the top of the zone is similar.

Ryan is a heavy 4-seam (57%). He lives at 92 near the top. He attacks RHH with Splitters & Sweepers and LHH with a ton of Splitters.

If there is a ***** in Yordan's armor, split fingers may be it. Yordan has a pathetic wOBA of .132 & xwOBA of .186 vs RHP's splitters. Tucker has been a little better against it though. Need these guys to split on the pitch and crush the fastball.

Batted Balls
18.6% LD (45 out of 58)
31.6% GB (56th)
49.9% FB (3rd)
--
90.0 EV
20.4 LA
8.7% Barrel %
41.6 HH%

Ryan was strong in the first half but really struggled in the 2nd half, especially in his one start in Aug. Apparently he was hiding a groin injury from the team. Even though Ryan was active for the WC, DS, and in 2020 he has yet to throw a pitch in the postseason. I expect the heart rate to be up.
tjack16
AG
Has anybody done Standing room only for playoffs? Is it worth it?

Thinking of doing that for a potential game 6 or 7 ALCS since I didnt get presale
All I do is Nguyen
Buster Olney can suck a fat one:

Quote:

If the Astros go to a seventh straight ALCS, how impressive of a feat is that?
Quote:

Olney: In the recent PBS documentary about the franchise, former Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow said Houston has a dynasty. I'm not sure about that; you need at least one more title to qualify, I think. But a seventh straight AL Championship Series would be remarkable because of the consistency required, and the Astros have been doing that through a ton of turnover, from Luhnow to a change in managers to losing George Springer and Correa.
No matter what!
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

Thinking of doing that for a potential game 6 or 7 ALCS since I didnt get presale

I have. I thought so.

Here is how I did it. First, you need a partner to hold your spot when you need to pee or grab a beer. There are a lot of options to stand but I liked grabbing a small railing behind home next to the inspiring club. I assume it's still there (pic from 2019)

texasaggie2015
AG
I have not but I've considered it and changed my mind after asking some folks about their experience. You better get there at least a couple hours before the gates open and find a spot as soon as you get in... and then don't move. That's what I've heard at least. Maybe someone here had a better/different experience.
texasaggie2015
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Olney: In the recent PBS documentary about the franchise, former Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow said Houston has a dynasty. I'm not sure about that; you need at least one more title to qualify, I think. But a seventh straight AL Championship Series would be remarkable because of the consistency required, and the Astros have been doing that through a ton of turnover, from Luhnow to a change in managers to losing George Springer and Correa.
I don't see a problem with this take.
Beat40
All I do is Nguyen said:

You mean like we do with the batters eye….

Except our players have been complaining about it since like 2017 and all they've done is ball out.

There is a difference between making excuses and complaints for improvement to the batter's eye.
All I do is Nguyen
I think we are in a dynasty. We have been to 4 world series, won two, and like the article said 7 straight ALCS. That is a dynasty in my uneducated opinion
No matter what!
Deluxe
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Quote:

Quote:

If only Hinch had left Greinke in
texasaggie2015
AG
That's fair. I think his take is fair too. He didn't discredit anything we've done.
tjack16
AG
If we win this series, I think next year it'll be 8 straight

Pitchers getting healthy, Framber/Javier hopefully then a corner, Diaz over Maldy for full season and a new manager.
All I do is Nguyen
I honestly think a lot of the media are afraid to say dynasty because of the 2017 scandal. That it somehow lessens what the Astros have done since. That didn't stop them to anoint the Patriots during deflategate, or when they taped other teams practicing. Just wish the media would move on. IF we are somehow fortunate enough to win back to back titles there is no reason why they can't say we are a dynasty.
No matter what!
Beat40
Screams jump on him early and make the bullpen cover a lot of innings.
Bob Lee
AG
If the 1970s Reds are a dynasty, then we are a dynasty. In 10 years they:
1. Went to 6 LCS
2. Won 4 pennants
3. Won 2 WS championships

The Astros did that in 6 years and change.

I don't understand how they're almost universally considered a dynasty, and there's some debate about whether or not this Astros run is a dynasty.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Wow. There's the excuse.

It's amazing the Astros are so good they've leveled up to controlling the wind and shadows.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Some people have a hard line of 3 titles for a dynasty. I don't.

14 teams have won 3 titles in their history.

Of those, here is who has won 3 in a 10-15 year window:
  • Dodgers ('55, '59, '63, '65)
  • Giants ('10. '12, '14)
  • Red Sox (1912, '15, '16, '18 & 2004, '07, '13, '18)
  • Athletics (1910, '11, '13 & '72, '73, '74)
  • Cardinals (1926, '31, '34 & '42, '44, '46)
  • Yankees (1923 - 1962 they won 20! & '96. '98, '99, '00)

TNot the Big Red Machine, not Connie Mack coaching up Jimmie Fox, not the 90s Braves, and not even the 2000s Cards when they made the playoffs 12x in 16 years with 2 titles. Do we really think the Giants strange 3 title run tops all of these?

I think you have to look a little more than titles alone. In my mind pennants & consistency matters.
Ag_07
AG
You guys are doing nothing but tempting the Gods with this discussion.

We still have one more game to win.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

I'm talking about the last 6 years, not this one.
texasaggie2015
AG
Again, that's fair. I think I would agree with you. I just don't think Buster is out of line in his take either.
Prosperdick
AG
Ag_07 said:

Totally agree, all this talk could be done over the next several days IF we take care of business tonight.

GO ASTROS!!!
All I do is Nguyen
Ag_07 said:

No matter what!
07ag
AG
Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

I have. I thought so.

Here is how I did it. First, you need a partner to hold your spot when you need to pee or grab a beer. There are a lot of options to stand but I liked grabbing a small railing behind home next to the inspiring club. I assume it's still there (pic from 2019)

i stood about 10 feet to the left of there for 2017 alcs game 7.

but yeah, important to get there early to stake out your spot. have a partner so you can save the spot and take turns at restroom or getting concessions. if you go solo like i did, super important to make friends with other sro folks so you can leave and return to your spot. buy a couple beers for your new friends and you shouldn't have a problem.

oh, also, remember to stretch, don't lock your knees, etc. be prepared to stand there for like 5 hours
https://ts.la/eric59704
Cromagnum
AG
Mack ain't messing around. Professional troll.

falcon09
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Definitely think we're in the middle of a dynasty. I also think if we can somehow win it this year, we have a claim as the best dynasty that didn't wear Yankee pinstripes
tjack16
AG
I always saw dynasties in the pros as 3 titles within a 5-10 year stretch. But it's not a cut and dry definition.

College I always think 2 titles within 5 seasons (Aka life span of one recruiting class all the way through)
First Page Last Page
Page 2785 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.