***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,521,585 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Prosperdick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgLA06 said:

Beau Holder said:

BadAggie said:

Everything checks out.
Except Florida.

They apparently weren't TB fans either.
Florida is definitely either the Yankees or Red Sox with all the retirees from up north.

ETA - the only times Tampa sells out their crappy stadium is when the Red Sox or Yankees are in town...obviously they can't even sellout a playoff game (unless it was one of those two teams).
The Porkchop Express
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

it's time

That's a fantastic watch. So excited I got to see a game of that April series in Atlanta with my daughter. We're thinking about going to KC next spring for another ballpark trip. I would love to take her to Wrigley, but my wife has overruled vacations in Chicago because, and I quote, "people get murdered there."
bearkatag15
AG

I forgot about this.. so great
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
512Ag
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I would love to take her to Wrigley, but my wife has overruled vacations in Chicago because, and I quote, "people get murdered there."
I survived a trip to Guaranteed Rate at night for that rain-delayed Astros/White Sox game this season. Wrigley would be a breeze compared to that.
Prosperdick
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

it's time

Great recap but no mention of the Verlander trade or did I miss it? To me that was the biggest event of the season besides us clinching on the last day.
jkag89
Just don't get off at the wrong exit on the highway and end up in the wrong neighborhood. From experience that can be a little bit unnerving.
mwm
That was fun!
jkag89
Prosperdick said:

AgLA06 said:

Beau Holder said:

BadAggie said:

Everything checks out.
Except Florida.

They apparently weren't TB fans either.
Florida is definitely either the Yankees or Red Sox with all the retirees from up north.
The map shows the rooting interest of those teams that made the 2023 Postseason. Neither the BoSox nor the Damn Yankees made the playoffs,
Beau Holder
AG
Chicago is perfectly fine if you don't go to the wrong areas, just like any other city in America. Wrigleyville in particular is fantastic.

I, too, 'survived' a trip to Guaranteed Rate last year.
512Ag
AG
Yep, aside from the constant "cheaters" chant, it was a pretty great experience.
A group of their fans were giving us a hard time and I just said, "Y'all, I wasn't on the team in 2017. I'm too old." They laughed and bought beer for our group.
Bondag
AG

From Julia insta story
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
bearkatag15 said:

AgLA06 said:

BMX Bandit said:

may be in the minority, but I love playoff afternoon baseball.
On a Saturday in the fall. Yes, you are the minority.
If I were unemployed it would be great.... unfortunately I wasn't born into money nor did I marry into money so I gotta work
wow. What a response.

I mean I have a job where I work from home and hybrid into the office as well a few days a week.

Previously I was a teacher and probably 1/4 of the staff would usually have the game playing in some form or fashion. One year I actually had it on in the corner of the smart board as long as the students worked on their tasks and weren't loud.

Didn't realize those options made me unemployed or super rich
Bondag
AG
Tease
BadAggie
AG
Beau Holder said:

Chicago is perfectly fine if you don't go to the wrong areas, just like any other city in America. Wrigleyville in particular is fantastic.

Apparently Murderapolis is giving the Second City a run for its money these days.

jkag89
Prosperdick said:

AustinCountyAg said:

it's time

Great recap but no mention of the Verlander trade or did I miss it? To me that was the biggest event of the season besides us clinching on the last day.
Seems they were keeping to action on the field.
bearkatag15
AG
I'm obviously exaggerating. No offense was intended. Weekday baseball sucks for most fans because of work obligations was my point. Especially ones that don't work from home
agdoc2001
AG
Beau Holder said:

That used to be true - I used to tell people that as long as you stayed north of Soldier Field, you could wander the streets at 2am and be perfectly safe. Now the crime has spilled north onto the Mag Mile, Lakeview, and even Wicker Park.

source: from Chicago
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bearkatag15
AG
Just secured tickets in right field for Sunday
bayouaggie
AG
Taking the kids to game 2 Sunday night. Bought tix in the "cheap" seats. Go Astros!
Pahdz
You'll survive. I was down there after game 1 Tuesday... didn't die. In fact when I was back in Houston in June for a game I had an interaction with a guy downtown that was more unnerving than anything I've had in downtown Minneapolis.
All I do is Nguyen
So how have the Astros typically done against Ober? I saw a guy on Twitter laughing at the pitcher I'm assuming because we should light him up?
bearkatag15
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

So how have the Astros typically done against Ober? I saw a guy on Twitter laughing at the pitcher I'm assuming because we should light him up?

We've had some success
RO519
AG
RO519 said:

Me to every person I see wearing Astros gear this morning downtown!

Me to every person I see wearing Astros gear this morning downtown, again!!!
jkag89
wangus12 said:

aggiedata said:

Good Luck ****ers
You would think at least TexAgs Arlington fans would know better. Sure a Texas ALCS would be a blast but I'm worried about the Twins, you would think they would be worried about the Orioles.
linkdude
AG
TJ surgery for Sandy Alcantera. I know the fish are already out, but that's a gut punch for next year.
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

vs RHH
43.8% 4-Seam
29.3% Slider
23.3% Change Up
3.6% Curveball

vs LHH
47.5% 4-Seam
32.8% Change Up
10.0 % Slider
9.7% Curveball

Yordan is taking a change up for a deep ride
Ag_07
AG
Man this is a LONG time to go with no baseball
07ag
AG
Ag_07 said:

Indeed it is
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
BadAggie
AG
Ag_07 said:

Hopefully it gave the team time to rest, recover and reload.
All I do is Nguyen
TIME TO GET HYPE BOYS!!!!!
Wabs
AG
jkag89 said:

wangus12 said:

aggiedata said:

Good Luck ****ers
You would think at least TexAgs Arlington fans would know better. Sure a Texas ALCS would be a blast but I'm worried about the Twins, you would think they would be worried about the Orioles.

LOL at Arlington fans still obsessed with MLB-wide sign stealing in 2017. They couldn't steroid their way to a championship with Canseco, Palmeiro, and Pudge on the same team. Self righteous *******s.
BayAg_14
Brisket is on the smoker, beer is on ice, TV's are in place. Tomorrow we ride!!!
The Porkchop Express
AG
We live here.

The playoffs.

Other teams visit. They stumble in from time to time.

Not us.
We've taken up permanent residence.

This is the narrative most guys never experience. Or it's come and gone so quickly they don't even know what they're missing.

Ernie Banks played 2,528 games and never saw one playoff game.
Ken Griffey Jr. hit 630 career home runs, but never batted in the Fall Classic.

Houston doesn't know that pain, not anymore.

Seven straight years in the playoffs.
Six straight years making the ALCS
Four trips to the World Series
TWO titles.

We scuffled this year, didn't we? On the field, in the clubhouse, on the board. We couldn't figure out how to sustain our excellence for long runs. We were challenged by all comers, struggling to beat the teams we knew we should, then turning around to break the spines of the ones who called themselves our rivals.

It looked early and often like injuries would eat us up. McCullers never played at all. Luis Garcia was done after just six games. The straw that stirs the Astros missed 72 games. We kept hearing that Uncle Mike was just a week away, but that week kept disappearing over the horizon until finally he arrived in mid-September and picked up where he'd left off in early 2022 as a professional hitting machine. Alvarez missed 48 games. It was a cacophony of frustrations and injuries that should have served as the perfect recipe for the Astros to let the division slip through their fingers and tumble out of the playoffs altogether. No one would have been surprised. The injuries were too much, and the competition suddenly stiff in a division that's rarely had a pulse over the last decade.

But that's not what happened. Kyle Tucker became a bonafide MVP candidate. Alex Bregman had his best season in four years. When he was healthy, Yordan was Yordan, and when he returned from injury, Altuve was arguably the best he's ever been.

Framber became an ace and threw a no-hitter. How wealthy has our pitching stock been of late? Suddenly the team that had just two no-nos between 1987-2014 has tossed five in the past four years.

Our young pitchers shone and then stumbled. So we turned to an old friend and asked him if he'd rise to the occasion one more time. Justin Verlander answered the call to the tune of a 7-3 record that win-loss record the difference between winning the division and missing the playoffs entirely.

Bryan Abreu continued his status as ridiculously lethal. At age 34, Hector Neris had the best year of his career. And while we rolled our eyes at their playing time, we found incredible depth in unexpected places as Chas McCormick put up a 22-homer, 19-steal season; Yanier Diaz belted 23 bombs in 104 games; and Mauricio Dubon carried the offense through the first two months of the season, hitting .278 in a breakout performance that nobody saw coming.

The board got nasty, even though we're all after the same thing. An Astros title. Maybe we can try to remember that when we get down 2-0 from time to time. For all of the frustration, for all of the teeth-grinding, when Game 162 was in the books, there we were again at the top of the AL West.

It's a different-looking AL playoffs. The other three teams standing are fresh faces this far into the post-season, and every single one of them wants what we have.

Time to put it on, get loud, wear orange, and enjoy the very best part of every baseball season.

This is our house. Our title to defend. Our time to get it done.

The playoffs.

We live here.

For the H.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
BayAg_14 said:

Brisket is on the smoker, beer is on ice, TV's are in place. Tomorrow we ride!!!
First Page Last Page
Page 2686 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.