***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,521,933 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Mr.Bond said:

BMX Bandit said:

CoachAg19 said:

BMX Bandit said:

may be in the minority, but I love playoff afternoon baseball.

I love playoff baseball, but it would surely be in the best interest of MLB to stop having playoff baseball games in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday.

Maximizes tv money, so disagree with you there.

I dont know for sure...... I would imagine tv ratings at 2 pm on tuesday are atrocious

The ratings aren't what matters at that point to mlb. It's selling the content to as many media partners as possible for most money. That requires as little crossover on games as possible.

There is no logistical way to have four series going on without afternoon games during the week with that aim in mind

Still feels like the NBA has it figured out though. I could be wrong there as well

They have upwards of 6+ games in a day. I don't believe any are during work day
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Farmer1906
AG
Beau Holder said:

Kinda, yeah.

Are we assuming France, Brown, and Urquidy are all on it?
I am. With so much uncertainty about the 4th starter and as many blow-ups as we've had, we might need a major piggyback.

I just hope we keep some speed on the roster to insert on the basepaths late.
BMX Bandit
Mr.Bond said:

BMX Bandit said:

Mr.Bond said:

BMX Bandit said:

CoachAg19 said:

BMX Bandit said:

I love playoff baseball, but it would surely be in the best interest of MLB to stop having playoff baseball games in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday.

I dont know for sure...... I would imagine tv ratings at 2 pm on tuesday are atrocious

The ratings aren't what matters at that point to mlb. It's selling the content to as many media partners as possible for most money. That requires as little crossover on games as possible.

There is no logistical way to have four series going on without afternoon games during the week with that aim in mind

Still feels like the NBA has it figured out though. I could be wrong there as well
the nba has figure it out because they take a day off between games.

that would completely change the game of baseball to do that.

also, nba does not play 6+ playoff games a night.

wangus12
AG
BCSGrubber said:

No open roof
SHOCKED! SHOCKED I TELL YOU!
spadilly
S
Beau Holder said:

Can we at least has ALDS roster today since it's complete dead space otherwise.
10:00 am tomorrow
Farmer1906
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

FYI, seats have been popping up in for the games in the astros ticket site throughout the day if anyone is still looking and has time to check the site periodically.

Batter's eye box tix are available for big spenders.
Nice. I just snagged 2 in 307 for Sunday Night.
gambochaman
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31982342/omar-vizquel-sued-former-birmingham-barons-bat-boy-alleged-sexual-harassment?platform=amp

There's allegations of him being a domestic abuser as well

Well damn
Farmer1906
AG
Ags #1 said:

Chron headline and article was questioning how much, if any, uncle mike will be available? Sorry if i missed it but has Dusty mentioned if uncle mike will be playing?

We got our answer.

Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Bag said:

so...

I am confused, espn says the Minn pitcher is still undecided?
It has not been announced. Their top 2 will go on full rest in games 2 and 3. The most likely candidate is Joe Ryan, but it may be Bailey Ober.

Mr.Bond
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Mr.Bond said:

BMX Bandit said:

Mr.Bond said:

BMX Bandit said:

CoachAg19 said:

BMX Bandit said:

My fault. They play 4 games a night..... Same as division series. There is a way to get it done. It's egregious that playoffs in any sport are played in middle of a work day
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

MAROON
AG
Ag_07 said:

It is a safe assumption that this would be Dana's hire to make?
pretty sure nothing significant happens with the Astros, where Jim Crane doesn't have final approval. Probably not unlike every team though.
texasaggie2015
AG
Correct. Crane is de facto president of baseball operations. They were considering making a move to hire one, but I haven't heard much about it since Stearns went to New York.

He's still open to bringing one in. And I actually expect him to eventually. He won't make a hire just to make a hire though. It has to be the right guy.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

There is a way to get it done. It's egregious that playoffs in any sport are played in middle of a work day
explain how it can be done with minimal cross-over of games. thats what they are trying to avoid.

when nba has 4 weekday playoff games (which happened 1 time this year), one is played on NBA TV at the same time as a game on a network partner. thats what MLB does not want to do.

day time playoff baseball has happened for most of mlb history.
Farmer1906
AG

vs RHH
43.8% 4-Seam
29.3% Slider
23.3% Change Up
3.6% Curveball

vs LHH
47.5% 4-Seam
32.8% Change Up
10.0 % Slider
9.7% Curveball

tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Framber over Abreu and Neris for pitcher of the year? Wow
R-Dog
AG
Mr.Bond said:

BMX Bandit said:

Mr.Bond said:

BMX Bandit said:

Mr.Bond said:

BMX Bandit said:

CoachAg19 said:

BMX Bandit said:

My fault. They play 4 games a night..... Same DS series. There is a way to get it done. It's egregious that playoffs in any sport are played in middle of a work day

They also have 4 full rounds of playoffs and every round now is best of 7...if every series goes the distance, you have 105 playoff games. And they last almost 2 months as it is so they can't afford not to double up on games or they wouldn't be done until July.
07ag
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

FYI, seats have been popping up in for the games in the astros ticket site throughout the day if anyone is still looking and has time to check the site periodically.

Batter's eye box tix are available for big spenders.
,, if i were a rich man ,,

would be fun to sit there once, but, $473 for div series tix a mile from home plate? no thanks, lol
BadAggie
AG
tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Journalists, man
BadAggie
AG
gambochaman said:

texasaggie2015 said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31982342/omar-vizquel-sued-former-birmingham-barons-bat-boy-alleged-sexual-harassment?platform=amp

There's allegations of him being a domestic abuser as well

Well damn

CoachAg19
AG
R-Dog said:

Mr.Bond said:

BMX Bandit said:

Mr.Bond said:

BMX Bandit said:

Mr.Bond said:

BMX Bandit said:

CoachAg19 said:

BMX Bandit said:

My fault. They play 4 games a night..... Same DS series. There is a way to get it done. It's egregious that playoffs in any sport are played in middle of a work day

They also have 4 full rounds of playoffs and every round now is best of 7...if every series goes the distance, you have 105 playoff games. And they last almost 2 months as it is so they can't afford not to double up on games or they wouldn't be done until July.

The NBA playoff model is absolutely horrendous, and I would not want MLB to copy it. However, afternoon games on a weekday for playoffs in any professional sport is pretty terrible as well. They can't possibly be making the money that they could make if it was all in prime time.
Class of 2010
texasaggie2015
AG
Not sure I get this reference
The Porkchop Express
AG

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Journalists, man

When I was 25, I won the Fred Hartman Award for Sportswriting, which involved a plaque and $500. I was given the award by Fred's son, Bill Hartman, who was president of the newspaper chain I worked for back then. Two weeks later, I was told I had to give back the money because since I worked for the chain owned by the Hartman family, "it might look suspicious".

When I asked why they gave me the award in the first place if they were worried about that, Bill Hartman told me on the phone, "Because I had no idea who the **** you were."
BMX Bandit
Quote:

However, afternoon games on a weekday for playoffs in any professional sport is pretty terrible as well. They can't possibly be making the money that they could make if it was all in prime time.
been having them in baseball forever.

and again, they are making money. they can tell the networks they will have game aired with minimal time that another game is being aired on another network at the same time.
Ag_07
AG
Well I know they're missing out on some viewership because I'm not watching afternoon games when I would be if they were evening games.

I'll watch any random playoff game if it's on in the evening but I'm definitely not watching afternoon games. Have to imagine there's a number of fans who are the same.
AustinCountyAg
it's time

Beau Holder
AG
Farmer1906 said:

vs RHH
43.8% 4-Seam
29.3% Slider
23.3% Change Up
3.6% Curveball

vs LHH
47.5% 4-Seam
32.8% Change Up
10.0 % Slider
9.7% Curveball

Interesting move but makes sense with the Astros' success against Ryan. Really hope they jump on Ober early.
AgLA06
AG
BMX Bandit said:

On a Saturday in the fall. Yes, you are the minority.
BadAggie
AG

bearkatag15
AG
AgLA06 said:

BMX Bandit said:

If I were unemployed it would be great.... unfortunately I wasn't born into money nor did I marry into money so I gotta work
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Beau Holder
AG
BadAggie said:

Everything checks out.
AgLA06
AG
Beau Holder said:

BadAggie said:

Everything checks out.
Except Florida.

They apparently weren't TB fans either.
BMX Bandit
AgLA06 said:

BMX Bandit said:

satrudays, I do not.

weekdays, yes.
RC_57
AG
When I first glanced at the map, I thought someone was being cute and put the Alabama "A" in the Southeast.

Took me a 2nd

"Oh wait, Atlanta"...
RC_57
AG
And the nickname "Oklahoma south" checks out
07ag
AG
RC_57 said:

When I first glanced at the map, I thought someone was being cute and put the Alabama "A" in the Southeast.

Took me a 2nd

"Oh wait, Atlanta"...
Alabama "A" has a mullet

First Page Last Page
Page 2685 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.