***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,521,957 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
can we move the batters eye from Arlington to the juice box?

We won the West, so i'm going to give Dusty a break for a bit

Let's talk superstitions, what are you guys rocking for the playoffs
RED AG 98
AG
The good news at the C position is that Dusty really mixed it up this year so that either catcher can go with any pitcher at any time, which is really what you want at an extremely taxing position. This flexibility might prove to be extremely useful in crunch time, like, for example, the playoffs. /s

DB's usage of Diaz this year ensures Maldy gets 90%+ of the postseason starts. I can't imagine the FO stepping in on this particular decision to force a pairing that hasn't happened all year.
GhostWipe15
AG
Any guesses on what time our games will be at.

Game 1's

I am thinking it is a toss up between us and Baltimore for the earliest slots due to who we are playing and TV markets.
I assume LA is going to get the latest games given their market and time zone.
And that would leave the Braves for the second to latest game slot.

After Games 1's the division starts to rotate days

Game 2's would be between us and Baltimore series...
Prosperdick
AG
Mr President Elect said:

AgLA06 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

ok. now compare passed balls
https://www.mlb.com/player/martin-maldonado-455117?season=2023&team=117&stats=career-r-fielding-mlb&year=2023

2023 Regular season

Defense

Maldy 12 PB, 14 out of 100 caught stealing
Diaz 0 PB, 15 out of 50 caught stealing (projected 30 out of 100)

Offense
AVG OBP SLG OPS
Maldy .191 .258 .348 .606
Diaz .282 .308 .538 .846

Twice the catcher, twice the hitter. Maldy Intangibles!

Sorry, formatting sucked.
To make it even worse, Diaz has a near .900 ops since June as he had an awful start. You would think that would earn him more playing time, but nope, he had his least AB's since May in September, despite an OPS of .960 for the month.
OK since everyone is tired me of my complaining about Maldy and Dusty I'll just focus on Diaz. I clearly remember early in the season he would swing at EVERYTHING, even pitches above his damn head. However, a light switch must have flicked on because the last 2-3 months of the season he was mashing the ball so the future looks incredibly bright for the kid.

There, no complaining, just praise for Diaz. I can't wait to see how well he warms that bench! Oops.
cypress-ag
AG
GhostWipe15 said:

Any guesses on what time our games will be at.

Game 1's

I am thinking it is a toss up between us and Baltimore for the earliest slots due to who we are playing and TV markets.
I assume LA is going to get the latest games given their market and time zone.
And that would leave the Braves for the second to latest game slot.

After Games 1's the division starts to rotate days

Game 2's would be between us and Baltimore series...
Since it's the Astros, I'm guessing the ****tiest time possible
jkag89
I agree, his plate discipline has improved remarkably compared to the beginning of the season without affecting his aggressiveness or power.
Prosperdick
AG
jkag89 said:

I agree, his plate discipline has improved remarkably compared to the beginning of the season without affecting his aggressiveness or power.
I've said this before but I'll say it again...when Berkman first came up as a rookie Biggio noted "that kid's got some crazy pop off his bat" and I'd love to hear Craig's thoughts on Diaz because the ball just jumps off his bat, which allows him to consistently go oppo taco when he's just a hair late on a pitch.

I can't wait to see what he does in a full season of starts (I'm biting my tongue so hard right now it's bleeding).
texasaggie2015
AG
Diaz will be an every day player next season. He's been working out tirelessly at both first base and left field to increase his versatility. He'll be behind the plate a lot but they want there to be as many ways for him to get in the lineup as possible when they want to rest his knees.

I think they'll either roll with Cesar Salazar (they love his game prep and IQ and is the cheapest possible option) or sign a cheap vet like Victor Caratini or Luke Maile as a backup.
Farmer1906
AG
Assuming Dusty is gone.

If you win 2 you might as well win 3.
CoachAg19
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Diaz will be an every day player next season. He's been working out tirelessly at both first base and left field to increase his versatility. He'll be behind the plate a lot but they want there to be as many ways for him to get in the lineup as possible when they want to rest his knees.

How realistic of an option is LF for him in the event that we have Yordan and Brantley back??
Class of 2010
Farmer1906
AG
CoachAg19 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

How realistic of an option is LF for him in the event that we have Yordan and Brantley back??

I think the odds or Brantley being back are very slim.
CoachAg19
AG
Farmer1906 said:

CoachAg19 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I think the odds or Brantley being back are very slim.

I agree. Just speculating on my end. I'd love to see him back though if he's healthy.
Class of 2010
texasaggie2015
AG
I highly doubt Brantley will be back. Again, they're just working him out to open up another avenue for him to be in the lineup when he's not behind the plate. I don't expect him to play there often- if at all honestly.
Prosperdick
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

This is a great post and as I brought up Biggio earlier might as well use him as a perfect example of a guy with such a valuable bat (and armor lol) that the organization wanted to extend his career by getting him out from behind the plate.

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to do the same with him. If Abreu's back continues to bother him next year perhaps 1B opens up sooner rather than later. Of course then we will need a catcher...Maldy, put your f***ing hand down.
W
AG
Yanier needs to keep practicing at first base

Astros have to have a backup plan for Abreu

if injury or father time or both...show up again in 2024
CoachAg19
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I highly doubt Brantley will be back. Again, they're just working him out to open up another avenue for him to be in the lineup when he's not behind the plate. I don't expect him to play there often- if at all honestly.

I get it. Just curious on the LF possibility really.
He's got to be in the lineup, IMO.
Class of 2010
texasaggie2015
AG
I expect a majority of the Astros money this offseason to go to addressing the bullpen. This is based off what I've heard recently. They'll try to re-sign Neris. He's not only been lights out this year but he's a valuable clubhouse asset. Josh Hader will be the #1 target. They wanted him badly at the deadline. How realistic are the chances of him signing here? I don't know.
Farmer1906
AG
I love off-season GM move talk in general but hate getting too into the weeds during the season. BUT we have several days to kill.

With all the money leaving, guys getting raises in arb, new guys hitting arbitration, I would estimate we'll have around 25 M to play with this offseason before we hit the first tax threshold. To me, that screams no way we could afford both relievers especially if we look at extending someone in arbitration.

We did partially address the bullpen at the deadline. Graveman is another solid arm that will be back next year that we didn't have coming into the year. Sousa showed well in limited time. Pair those two with Abreu, Pressly, Montero, and you have a solid bullpen. Either bring Neris back or get Hader and you're looking strong even without Stanek & Maton.

I think the most interesting part of the offseason is if anyone from the core gets addressed - Altuve, Bregman, Tucker, or Framber.

I also want to see Dana make some low key moves that pay out big. Find the Diamond in the rough like Click & Lunhow could.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Dusty is 100% gone, the way the regular went writes the narrative that makes it easy for them to move on.

Either 1) The Astros catch fire and repeat as champions, and they give him a big fat check to head off to the sunset happy and compliant or 2) Whatever knocks them out is viewed as systemic of a larger problem and they decide to go in a new direction.

On good authority, you'll never see Dusty as Astros manager in a regular season game again.
Kashchei
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Dusty is 100% gone, the way the regular went writes the narrative that makes it easy for them to move on.

Either 1) The Astros catch fire and repeat as champions, and they give him a big fat check to head off to the sunset happy and compliant or 2) Whatever knocks them out is viewed as systemic of a larger problem and they decide to go in a new direction.

On good authority, you'll never see Dusty as Astros manager in a regular season game again.

texasaggie2015
AG

He's not under contract beyond this season.
The Porkchop Express
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

He's not under contract beyond this season.
Right, so they give him a big bonus check to STFU about wanting to come back next year.
The Porkchop Express
AG
This date in Astros history is a good one!

2019 - Justin Verlander tosses seven shutout innings to lead the Astros to a 6-2 victory over Tampa Bay in the A.L.D.S. opener in Houston. Jose Altuve's two-run blast in the sixth opens the scoring. Michael Brantley and Yuli Gurriel add two hits each.

Altuve goes deep around the 9 minute mark. At 14:45 you can get the bizarre combo of much skinnier Yodan and way faster Bregman.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Personally I'd prefer the early game so I can watch and then lead straight intro he Ags.

If it's later they will overlap
An L of an Ag
AG
I'm thinking the same, although that's gonna be quite a 1-2 punch for the liver..
spadilly
S

October off days…

Mr President Elect
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Personally I'd prefer the early game so I can watch and then lead straight intro he Ags.

Wouldn't the early game overlap with the Ags? What are the time slots?
Deluxe
AG
A few thoughts:

1) If we don't win the World Series this year, Dusty will clearly be gone. But if we do, I'm a believer in the MJ doctrine that if you win a title, you have the right to defend it. Winning back-to-back titles is soooooo difficult. It would likely be a once-in-a-lifetime thing for most of us.

Maybe Dusty would make it easy on us and voluntarily hang it up. Going out on top as back-to-back champs seems like a nice option for him. But if he really wants to come back and go for three, I'd error on the side of letting him. Looking forward to hearing everyone adamantly agree with this take.

2) For next year, I really like the Diaz plan of 100 games behind the plate, 25 at 1B and 25 at DH/LF. That leaves 62 games behind the plate. I think Maldy is perfect for a part time role. Keep him in the clubhouse. Let him be JV's personal catcher and sprinkle him another game per week. In September, evaluate how JV is doing. If he's pitching like an ace, consider letting Maldy continue catching him into October. If JV is good but not great, Diaz catches him from September on.

3) On the bullpen front, I like the idea bringing back Neris or adding Hader. Then we've got our allotment of high lev guys. Assuming our staff can generally stay healthy next year, I think we'll eat alot more low/med lev bullpen innings with starters-not-in-the-rotation. The fact that we couldn't do that much this year cuz of the injury bug hurt badly in terms of keeping the staff fresh.
texasaggie2015
AG
We'll have an 11-0 lead in the 8th by the time the Aggies start.
texasaggie2015
AG
Nope. He's not coming back. If he does, there will be an absolute mess to clean up with unhappy guys in clubhouse and in the front office.

As far as Maldy goes, I don't expect him back either.... as a player.
Mr President Elect
AG
Prosperdick said:

jkag89 said:

I've said this before but I'll say it again...when Berkman first came up as a rookie Biggio noted "that kid's got some crazy pop off his bat" and I'd love to hear Craig's thoughts on Diaz because the ball just jumps off his bat, which allows him to consistently go oppo taco when he's just a hair late on a pitch.

I can't wait to see what he does in a full season of starts (I'm biting my tongue so hard right now it's bleeding).
Yeah, I remember Diaz's first home run. Off the bat I thought it was a pop-up to the outfield and then it carried like 10 rows deep. There have been a few like that, opo included, so now with him anything to the outfield I think is going yard.

His plate discipline has improved a lot. I feel like as a DH and PH he tries to hard and is way too agressive still.
Cromagnum
AG
ESPN cameras caught lightning at MMP yesterday. All we need is a purple Muppet to count pennants and we're set.

AgLA06
AG
Yesterday?
bearkatag15
AG
Mr President Elect said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Wouldn't the early game overlap with the Ags? What are the time slots?

3pm and 8pm for FS1
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
1836er
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Nope. He's not coming back. If he does, there will be an absolute mess to clean up with unhappy guys in clubhouse and in the front office.

As far as Maldy goes, I don't expect him back either.... as a player.
I choose to agree with this post because I want it to be true!
First Page Last Page
Page 2667 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.