***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,522,618 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ok. now compare passed balls
Beat40
BadAggie said:

Helps when pitchers are actually trying to hold runners on 1st

Exactly. Maldy and Diaz have very comparable pop times and arm strength, yet the extreme hate for him on this board can't allow people to see the biggest reason the steals against the Astros is a problem is much, much more on the pitchers.
tjack16
AG
I blame the lack of caught stealing more on the pitchers. Many times they weren't even trying to hold runners… especially against the royals and orioles.
Prosperdick
AG
htxag09 said:

Prosperdick said:

gambochaman said:

BadAggie said:

Maldy threw out mofos when it mattered

Just saying

Maybe we wouldnt have need him throwing out those mofos if he bad performed throughout the season
This is exactly it...we all know he will occasionally throw a runner out but how many times a game were our pitchers dealing with hitter's counts due to his awful framing? How many times did those scenarios lead to walks/loud hits that cost us runs that inning?

How many passed balls led to runs that wouldn't have had he just not a lost a step in that department?

We all know Maldy would occasionally run into a pitch and hit it a long way but how many double plays and strikeouts ended innings prematurely?

We'll never know the answer to these questions but I'm almost 100% certain had Diaz caught all year we would not have been sweating it out at the end (and maybe even the 1 seed).
I don't necessarily disagree with this.

But there is absolutely bias in the awful framing part. Anytime it happens to Maldy it's because he's a terrible catcher. Anytime it happens to Diaz it's because umps suck ass and they hate the Astros (we do typically seem to rank in the bottom percentile on ump scorecards....)

Looking at Baseball Savant, they are pretty similar, which is both being bad. Maldy is 40.6% strike rate (63rd), Diaz is 42.1% (59th). League average is 46.2%.
OK forget framing. Diaz projected home run totals, if he played full-time would be close to 40. Look around the league and you'll find:

• Acuna - 41
  • Ozuna - 40
  • Betts - 39
  • Garcia - 39
  • Judge - 37

Can you imagine any manager telling any of those players "Hey, we love your power and production but we're going to sit your ass for almost half the season and you'll be lucky if you get more than a dozen at bats in the playoffs. Don't worry, you'll thank me later."

This is what I want shoved in front of Dusty's face and make him defend it with proofs, not gut feel or other intangible nonsense. Show concrete numbers why Diaz shouldn't be starting. He can't and he'll probably just stick his ring in Dana's face and talk about how he played with Hank Aaron and to leave him alone.
htxag09
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

lol

Read the first sentence of my post. I don't disagree that Diaz is better than Maldy. Maldy's defense has fallen off a cliff this year which is especially frustrating since that's supposedly why he's playing.

But the argument about framing is pretty moot, imo. That's what I was pointing out. Not that he's a better defensive catcher.
astros4545
AG
Maldys defense has fallen off a Cliff similar to how Reddicks did his last couple of years

(And how Tuckers seemed to this year)
jkag89
Amen. I agree with everyone on this thread that Diaz should get the bulk of the starts at catcher, His potential at the plate makes this a no brainer IMO but this constant harangues against Maldy are more than old. A ball gets past Maldy, over reaction. Ball gets past Yanier, not a peep. Pitcher not getting a calls on the edges, all Maldy's fault. Same thing happens when Yainer is in the bucket, not a peep. Stolen bases, all Maldy's fault not a mention how well the pitcher is holding on runners. Every Maldy PA that is not productive, over reaction. Poor PA by Diaz, not a peep.
astros4545
AG
jkag89 said:

Ball gets past Yanier, not a peep. .

Aren't we still waiting on his first
htxag09
AG
astros4545 said:

jkag89 said:

Didn't he recently have one that led to costly run(s)?
Beat40
Why do you keep yelling at the sun's rising?
AgLA06
AG
tjack16 said:

I blame the lack of caught stealing more on the pitchers. Many times they weren't even trying to hold runners… especially against the royals and orioles.
So, what contributed to them getting on base?
astros4545
AG
htxag09 said:

astros4545 said:

jkag89 said:

Yanier Diaz 0 passed balls in 60 games

Maldy leads the league with 12
jkag89
astros4545 said:

jkag89 said:

No. He has let at least a couple get past him in his last few starts, as rare as they are. Whether they were ruled a passed ball or wild pitch I don't recall but it wouldn't matter what it was ruled if Maldy was in the bucket, the blame would be placed on him.
rosco511
AG
I just find it funny that people are trying to justify or defend in anyway that a bottom 5 player at his position in all of baseball from both an offense and defense perspective should be starting over a player who is a plus offensive player and at worst an average defensive player. There is also not any meaningful correlation or positive difference to team wins/losses and/or pitcher ERA when the bottom 5 player is in the game versus the other player, which would be the only stats that could be used to try to argue there is some hidden intangible value not captured by the other statistics.

With all this said, I have fully accepted that Maldy will be our starter for most (if not all) of the playoff games so that I do not continue to get mad at this gross mismanagement of playing time.
jkag89
Beat40 said:

Exactly.
AgLA06
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

https://www.mlb.com/player/martin-maldonado-455117?season=2023&team=117&stats=career-r-fielding-mlb&year=2023

2023 Regular season

Defense

Maldy 12 PB, 14 out of 100 caught stealing
Diaz 0 PB, 15 out of 50 caught stealing (projected 30 out of 100)

Offense
AVG OBP SLG OPS
Maldy .191 .258 .348 .606
Diaz .282 .308 .538 .846

Twice the catcher, twice the hitter. Maldy Intangibles!

Sorry, formatting sucked.
AgLA06
AG
jkag89 said:

astros4545 said:

jkag89 said:

No. He has let at least a couple get past him in his last few starts, as rare as they are. Whether they were ruled a passed ball or wild pitch I don't recall but it wouldn't matter what it was ruled if Maldy was in the bucket, the blame would be placed on him.
Not according to MLB.com
Mr President Elect
AG
jkag89 said:

Amen. I agree with everyone on this thread that Diaz should get the bulk of the starts at catcher, His potential at the plate makes this a no brainer IMO but this constant harangues against Maldy are more than old. A ball gets past Maldy, over reaction. Ball gets past Yanier, not a peep. Pitcher not getting a calls on the edges, all Maldy's fault. Same thing happens when Yainer is in the bucket, not a peep. Stolen bases, all Maldy's fault not a mention how well the pitcher is holding on runners. Every Maldy PA that is not productive, over reaction. Poor PA by Diaz, not a peep.
If a guy is in there with a terrible bat because of his defensive capabilities, shouldn't his defensive play be scrutinized more? Also, Diaz is a rookie so we are going to be more forgiving, hoping that he improves defensively while enjoying his superior bat.
JDUB08AG
AG
AgLA06 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

2023 Regular season

Mald 12 14 out of 100 caught stealing
Diaz 0 15 out of 50 caught stealing
This is egregious
Farmer1906
AG
htxag09 said:

astros4545 said:

jkag89 said:

Yainer has an argument for the best blocking catcher in baseball. His per game #s are.

Farmer1906
AG
JDUB08AG said:

AgLA06 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

2023 Regular season

This is egregious
Yainer may be better, but this is mostly on the pitchers.

Prosperdick
AG
Beat40 said:

I suppose equal parts catharsis and the somewhat futile hope that Dana and the FO can somehow convince Donkey to play him since they have final say (or something close to that) on personnel decisions in the playoffs.
Mr.Bond
AG
AgLA06 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

https://www.mlb.com/player/martin-maldonado-455117?season=2023&team=117&stats=career-r-fielding-mlb&year=2023

2023 Regular season

Defense

Maldy 12, 14 out of 100 caught stealing
Diaz 0, 15 out of 50 caught stealing (projected 30 out of 100)

Offense
AVG OBP SLG OPS
Diaz .282 .308 .538 .846

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

JDUB08AG said:

AgLA06 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

2023 Regular season

This is egregious
Yainer may be better, but this is mostly on the pitchers.

Technically wild pitchers are on the pitcher.

There's a reason you have a catcher. Our catcher is just on the bench.

Mr President Elect
AG
Farmer1906 said:

htxag09 said:

astros4545 said:

jkag89 said:

Yainer has an argument for the best blocking catcher in baseball. His per game #s are.

Everytime I look at catcher stats and see "opportunities", I just have to think Dusty is trolling the F out of us on his fairwell tour. Maldy is near the elite guys in PT while having average to bottom performing stats in nearly every category.
Mr.Bond
AG
Farmer1906 said:

htxag09 said:

astros4545 said:

jkag89 said:

Will go down as one of the biggest waste of any player in history. Dusty ROBBED Diaz of ROY and $$$$
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

tjack16
AG
AgLA06 said:

tjack16 said:

In those series? Probably walks
jkag89
I'm not defending Maldy, I'm just tired of the daily *****ing about him as if this never-ending harrumphing will change a damn thing. I guess yelling at clouds is cathartic for some and in hindsight this is exactly what I'm doing here by ranting against the ranting.
Mr.Bond
AG
jkag89 said:

I'm not defending Maldy, I'm just tired of the daily *****ing about him as if this never-ending harrumphing will change a damn thing. I guess yelling at clouds is cathartic for some and in hindsight this is exactly what I'm doing here by ranting against the ranting.
Its a message board sir..... its basically an online therapist

MAGA

jkag89
Mr President Elect said:

jkag89 said:

If a guy is in there with a terrible bat because of his defensive capabilities, shouldn't his defensive play be scrutinized more? Also, Diaz is a rookie so we are going to be more forgiving, hoping that he improves defensively while enjoying his superior bat.
You don't have to convince me. I have one major gripe against Dusty, not giving Diaz the bulk of the starts over Maldy.
jkag89
Mr.Bond said:

jkag89 said:

Its a message board sir..... its basically an online therapist
Fair enough but it doesn't seem to be working at least for Prosper,
Beat40
AgLA06 said:

tjack16 said:

Bad pitching? It's no secret there has been runs of bad pitching at different times this year for the Astros.

Actually funny you're trying to imply runners are getting on base because Maldy is catching. Actually.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
The blocking is what bothers me the most. I e had a problem with Maldonado with that since the 2018 playoffs vs Boston. One of the worst series of catching I e ever seen in my life and possibly a leading reason we lost.

It was my biggest worry when we resigned him. It hasn't gotten better of late.

But STILL I am an intangibles believer. I still think it should be be Diaz until he proves he can't do it but it's all in that unmeasurable metric I put the weight which most on this board so willfully just ignore
Mr President Elect
AG
AgLA06 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

2023 Regular season

Defense

Maldy 12 PB, 14 out of 100 caught stealing
Diaz 0 PB, 15 out of 50 caught stealing (projected 30 out of 100)

Offense
AVG OBP SLG OPS
Diaz .282 .308 .538 .846

Sorry, formatting sucked.
To make it even worse, Diaz has a near .900 ops since June as he had an awful start. You would think that would earn him more playing time, but nope, he had his least AB's since May in September, despite an OPS of .960 for the month.
Farmer1906
AG

First Page Last Page
Page 2666 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.